Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "29 - Jucika and Garbage in The Street"

"elmegyógyintézet=asylum/mental hospital"

We really live in a society!

I like that the trash can is apparently stuffed with corn cobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

plainswalker75 posted:

I like that the trash can is apparently stuffed with corn cobs.

Those are baguettes. It's the mini baguette library.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Author Unknown?

John Allison's Patreon
John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website
My Author Unknown? intro guide password is TheOther

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

As funny as it would be for an attempted crime to be foiled because the robbers only distracted the cop's son rather than the actual cop I'm going to guess the actual explanation for this discrepancy is going to be something much dumber.

I'm guessing the puzzle will involve whether or not someone wearing boxing gloves could dial a phone.

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 19, 1944)

One again Hal Foster has put a major spoiler in the "next time" blurb. Here's the second row unspoilered, if you want to see. Don't look at it. Don't.
https://i.imgur.com/SU2bS9t.png

The Medieval Castle (Nov. 19, 1944)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Medenmath posted:

I'm guessing the puzzle will involve whether or not someone wearing boxing gloves could dial a phone.

I have identified the culprit!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 19, 1944)

One again Hal Foster has put a major spoiler in the "next time" blurb. Here's the second row unspoilered, if you want to see. Don't look at it. Don't.
https://i.imgur.com/SU2bS9t.png

I guessed what it was but I didn't expect it to be that hilariously direct. Next Week - I can't believe Prince Valiant is loving dead

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Another weirdly sudden ending, as is the tradition. Next up: a timeskip and the last part of the fourth book (which is actually so long that it's often printed as a separate volume).

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Can't have good fiction without a bit of drama, Val

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Did mom dress up like a maid?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think she has a napkin on her lap. It would be better if her dress was made just about any other color.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

davidspackage posted:

Did mom dress up like a maid?

Don't kinkshame

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

And that's how women were almost called "thagomizers."

F Minus

Mark Trail

A little shade thrown at the last guy.

Mary Worth

Why I do believe she's sassy.

The Phantom

I don't know how he got Walker from 'Towns Ellerbee.'

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Why wouldn't someone get Kit Walker from a name that translates to Towns Town of a man named Alfred.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Endless Mike posted:

Don't kinkshame

Is Scott coming over later?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Walker posted:

Why I do DECLARE, she's sassy.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

Sunday 10th, huh? That's not until October. Plenty of time left.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (January 25, 1992)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

What an outrageous turn of phrase! These children with their hipster slang!

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Got that right, Gunt

Nancy 1946

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

manero posted:

Nancy 1946

Ok, THAT'S a fantastic effect.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Samovar posted:

Ok, THAT'S a fantastic effect.

drat it really is. I actually got a little dizzy looking at it

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Well. Are they gonna commit to getting rid of Bets or not, herein lies the mysteries.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

I’m surprised how much I’m enjoying this storyline! It’s really realistic, two young people in New York who really like each other but are just too busy to make it work. It’s very sweet, I think.

And while everything about Wallace is great, Sterling is probably my favorite character down to his lettering. What a strange little goblin.

Anyway, Classic Zits!

I really love this one! The art is so much fun and Jeremy’s being adorably teenagerish about his crush.

E: :drat:, Bushmiller!

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 23, 2021

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Dykes to Watch Out For #134 (1992)

"N.O.T.A. Leads in Polls" refers, I presume, to the 1992 Democratic primary, which was rocky and contentious before Bill Clinton's comeback clinching his June 9th nomination.

Basic Instinct was a 1992 Verhoeven thriller of the somewhat smutty variety, starring Michael Douglas and Sharon Stone as the femme fatale Catherine (hence the "Catherine Did It" shirt). In the film Stone is both a bisexual woman and a murder maniac, underscoring, many thought, negative stereotypes prevalent in film of lesbians and bi women as sinister, emotionless, and unstable, leading to a spate of protests as depicted in the strip here.

Sparrow's favorite episode of Star Trek is apparently Season 1, Episode 25, "This Side of Paradise," in which Spock indeed falls in love because of spores. It aired in March, 1967. I've never seen the original Star Trek so I don't know if this is an esoteric joke or if it's just a cute little character beat as they're hustling Sparrow out of the house.

Batman (11/15/1989)

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 23, 2021

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Okay, I was :stare: at this for a minute, until I looked at the date (1991) in the corner, and then googled when the "West Memphis 3" happened (1993-1994)

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (November 22, 1937)

CommonShore posted:

I can't wait to see Limbo get the poo poo kicked out of him it's gonna be awesome
Yeah, Popeye's going to wake up and flatten him in a blink.

B Kliban

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

How Wonderful! posted:

Dykes to Watch Out For #134 (1992)

Basic Instinct was a 1992 Verhoeven thriller of the somewhat smutty variety, starring Michael Douglas and Sharon Stone as the femme fatale Catherine (hence the "Catherine Did It" shirt). In the film Stone is both a bisexual woman and a murder maniac, underscoring, many thought, negative stereotypes prevalent in film of lesbians and bi women as sinister, emotionless, and unstable, leading to a spate of protests as depicted in the strip here.

Sparrow's favorite episode of Star Trek is apparently Season 1, Episode 25, "This Side of Paradise," in which Spock indeed falls in love because of spores. It aired in March, 1967. I've never seen the original Star Trek so I don't know if this is an esoteric joke or if it's just a cute little character beat as they're hustling Sparrow out of the house.

Basic Instinct ended up being a hugely influential film. It established the trope of multiple jump scares at the end of a thriller, and a number of scenes really stuck in popular culture. I didn't even remember the business of Sharon Stone's character being lesbian. My main memory was that everybody else seemed to think she was the "bad guy" while I thought Michael Douglas' character was pretty nasty too.

My interpretation of the "favorite Star Trek episode" was that Sparrow was making an excuse to be a voyeur. Sparrow never expressed interest in Star Trek or sci fi otherwise that I remember. The episode actually gets some flack for being silly amongst fans, although perhaps Sparrow would enjoy it for exactly that reason. It's a relatively memorable episode, FWIW - I immediately knew what she was talking about even though it had been years since I'd watched ST:TOS and I wouldn't have recognized a reference to many episodes. I think this could be Bechdel again putting in something intentionally ambiguous - does Sparrow really mean that or not? We'll never know.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Medenmath posted:

Surely the obvious solution here is for Cooper to tell Stuart that he's discovered Keith keeps a secret lounge on the roof.
A Pyrrhic victory it is!

Popular Comics

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Did a quick Google on Bill Beers there. Couldn't find too much, just that he died in 1942 in that same city, so it's likely he died while still in that Asylum.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (April 26, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (June 25, 1918)

Banana Oil! (February 27, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (June 10, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (November 9, 1935)

Mopsy (January 9, 1937)

Dark Laughter (April 21, 1945)

Those Were the Days (December 11, 1952)

Dinky Fellas (July 30, 1965)

Wee Pals (July 30, 1965)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

How Wonderful! posted:

Batman (11/15/1989)

I know it won't happen but just imagine if this Batman comic strip just turned into a courtroom drama, with Batman barely in it.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Darthemed posted:

Retail

A Pyrrhic victory it is!

Cripes, Cooper. All you had to do was stop going to the roof. Keith can't force you to work for free in his poetry bar if you aren't up there.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Red Knight Oct. 29th, 1940

Axa

Who, Axa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Slammy posted:

And He Did! (April 26, 1918)

Someone Red&Rover this one for me? I can't even work out what he's holding in the 2nd panel. An axe? A bathbrush?