Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Tayter Swift posted:

MW is finally changing their goddamn name to ModWiggler. Good.

Why? Because “muff” is ....innuendo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yes.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

yeah having the forum where many industry reps post basically be called fingerbangers was just loving embarrassing

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

i wonder how many times anyone has ever said the name out loud in conversation

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
"Mom! Get out of here, I'm trying to make my muffwiggler video!"

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Found the name change discussion thread and it’s as good as you would expect

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

inferis posted:

The fact it's so much better than VSE or GS but still full of clowns is real lovely. I hate that the bar is so low in the hobby.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Startyde posted:

The fact it's so much better than VSE or GS but still full of clowns is real lovely. I hate that the bar is so low in the hobby.

It’s probably only slightly better because it’s a hobby that has a very high number of trans women.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
OK I haven't had much time to play with Pigments this evening but as it is NKS ready I found a nice pad preset and had that all loaded up in Komplete Kontrol, and laid down three notes.
I reached for my Microfreak, not realising the audio in wasn't armed so it was only sending midi, and it started adding stuff on top of the Pigments patch as that was still on monitor.
Then I assigned the aftertouch off the 'freak to cutoff in Pigments just as I would do on the Microfreak itself and it worked perfectly.

This is great, Pigments is almost like an
extension of the microfreak. I haven't looked at the manual and have only been able to spend about 10 mins with it in total but the UI is intuitive and reminds me really strongly of a mix of Iris 2 and more recent NI stuff- it's instantly familiar and useable and I really appreciate that. Looking forward to digging into it properly tomorrow

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
In other news I finally found the synth book I've been searching for all these years.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

inferis posted:

Like, all of those things rule unironically? Would he rather people drank coffee and beer made by soulless multinational corporations and post racist and sexist screeds instead? Just lmao.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean presumably yes

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I’m :spergin: enough to have attempted sincere inquiries on how someone could be chudy and be fans of jam bands/prog among local synth circles and still don’t get it.
Born in the USA blindedness or something. The lens is a mirror. :birddrugs:

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
I have several family members who are chuds to the bone, but their favorite bands are System of a Down and Rage Against the Machine. When asked about it they say “I just like the drums/guitar/etc, I don’t pay attention to lyrics”, and then continue to sing along.

Does anyone know of a good MIDI controller for soft synths that lets me go from zero to max value, and with no physical snap at 50%? Sounds like a basic idea but holy poo poo all the hardware I’ve looked at seem to have some sort of restriction or usability issue.

I want to slowly change sounds and mess around with live looping etc. Currently I’m using an Arturia Beatstep and the “endless” knobs with acceleration are making me want to chuck it through a wall. The change is either way too slow or way too fast.

May just end up building my own midi controller.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Startyde posted:

I’m :spergin: enough to have attempted sincere inquiries on how someone could be chudy and be fans of jam bands/prog among local synth circles and still don’t get it.
Born in the USA blindedness or something. The lens is a mirror. :birddrugs:

Modular is predominantly white, male and requires more disposable income than most hobbies to get started in any appreciable way; It's not surprising in the least it gets chuds. For every scrappy 16-20something soldering together their own power supply you've got two approaching-middle-aged IT-employed guys trying to buy their way into creativity with more modules. The bluesdads are starting to retire and have been replaced by the progdads and technodads and their attitudes are often the same, just rooted in a slightly different past.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

stillvisions posted:

For every scrappy 16-20something soldering together their own power supply you've got two approaching-middle-aged IT-employed guys trying to buy their way into creativity with more modules

drat dude just let me enjoy my blinky toys lmao

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

A MIRACLE posted:

drat dude just let me enjoy my blinky toys lmao

It's okay, I'm one too. If you call it out you can pretend that you're not part of that group long enough to buy more gear.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

stillvisions posted:

For every scrappy 16-20something soldering together their own power supply you've got two approaching-middle-aged IT-employed guys trying to buy their way into creativity with more modules.

Not totally true.... I'm a middle aged IT employed guy, and I've been trying to buy my way into creativity with more VSTs, since they go on sale a lot more often than modules do.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
the crossover you’ve all been waiting for

https://youtu.be/GSOZcURTW_c

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
someone was asking about sega genesis sound drivers a few months ago. ran across this last night while the forums were getting moved over to dedicated nsa punkin monitoring servers

https://hiddenpalace.org/News/Sega_of_Japan_Sound_Documents_and_Source_Code

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm not sure if I've got more VSTs than I do Steam games. It's gotta be pretty close.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

im_sorry posted:

Not totally true.... I'm a middle aged IT employed guy, and I've been trying to buy my way into creativity with more VSTs, since they go on sale a lot more often than modules do.

I personally like to cycle to avoid fatigue - Modules, VSTs, regular synths, and then a brief cleansing period where I decide I'm going to learn Kalimba or tongue drum (I don't).

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Kalimbas are tiny and cheap why not get one

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That once was verbatim my thought process about a tin whistle that the household has agreed not to speak of

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

It’s me trying to write recorder parts right now lol. At least a kalimba has an inoffensive timbre

gonna get a kalimba, a rain stick, and a Roland d50 and write new age rainforest tree frog music for the next encarta cd rom release

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Put a piezo on the kalimba and run it through every pedal you own. :feelsgood:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Thumposaurus posted:

It's a good sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJFpYV-Aw9Y

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Thumposaurus posted:

I'm doing that right now! I have a few kalimas I like.

Definitely look into getting an acrylic one if you can -- they have a totally different, dreamy timbre compared to the wooden ones, with much longer sustain.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

A MIRACLE posted:

Kalimbas are tiny and cheap why not get one

And if you want that serious money GAS go for the Array Mbria instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3b1bz_9gEo

Yours for only a couple grand...

(no, I haven't gotten one, but they sound pretty. Maybe I'll get one of the VSTs for it out there)

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Sequential got bought out... again :smith:

At least from what it sounds like, Dave Smith got a better deal this time than in the 80s. Seems like Sequential keeps its autonomy so Dave can keep designing synths while the business and financials are going to be taken care of by Focusrite.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 27, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

VoodooXT posted:

Sequential got bought out... again :smith:

At least from what it sounds like, Dave Smith got a better deal this time than in the 80s. Seems like Sequential keeps its autonomy so Dave can keep designing synths while the business and financials are going to be taken care of by Focusrite.

The optimistic talk suggesting future cross pollination with novation seems neat

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone who's interested in Syntorial but found the price a little high for an impulse buy, VSTBuzz is running a 50% off right now.

https://vstbuzz.com/deals/50-off-syntorial-by-audible-genius/

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/JVB4v

Some industrialish thing I wrote using a combo of Pigments, Microfreak, some ancient drum samples and... Vengeance kick and snare

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 29, 2021

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

inferis posted:

It’s probably only slightly better because it’s a hobby that has a very high number of trans women.

And we still get poo poo on constantly. Part of why I love Moog (and from an adjacent angle, Earthquaker) is because they're so heavily invested in actual trans representation (most obviously with Lisa Bella Donna, but lesser known and historical artists as well.)

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

rickiep00h posted:

And we still get poo poo on constantly. Part of why I love Moog (and from an adjacent angle, Earthquaker) is because they're so heavily invested in actual trans representation (most obviously with Lisa Bella Donna, but lesser known and historical artists as well.)

I had no idea she is trans, but that's actually awesome that they put a trans woman up front as representing them without her being presented as some kind of token representative. I follow her on insta and she's always posting really awesome sounding stuff, I'm glad that's what I knew about her first.

ricecult fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 29, 2021

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Wendy Carlos of course also instrumental in the history of moog synthesizers

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

Wendy Carlos of course also instrumental in the history of moog synthesizers

I mean, yeah, but she's less active now, whereas Lisa is all. over. Moog's social media feeds.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ricecult posted:

I had no idea she is trans, but that's actually awesome that they put a trans woman up front as representing them without her being presented as some kind of token representative. I follow her on insta and she's always posting really awesome sounding stuff, I'm glad that's what I knew about her first.

well, it’s not entirely fair to say that Moog didn’t announce it or release statements about specifically trying to platform more women and LGBTQ folk.

When the Mother 32 was launched in 2015 Moog made a big point to highlight the name, they made a big bunch of public statements about representation in art/music and about the role of women/lgbtq people in the synth world specifically, and then they rolled out all of the M32’s promo/demo/tutorial stuff—100% of which was done by women artists, a point that Moog reiterated.

In that regard, it isn’t surprising that Moog would 1) keep using the same artists to promote the Mother line 2) keep exclusively using women artists to promote the Mother line, as it keeps with the theme.

I don’t know what work she’s done with Moog in the past, but Lisa (predominantly Lisa) and a few of the other women artists that Moog has been featuring over the last few years have been involved with promoting the Mother line and its various additions since it launched.

I guess all of this risks veering into “tokenization” territory but so far I think Moog’s handled it in a manner that is both tasteful and respectful to the intended goal without coming off as performative or mawkish or whatever.

And we’ve posted about it here in the past, but some people on the synth internet were really unhappy that Moog made a point to do any of that at all.

Go back a few years and you have tons of posts on Gearslutz, SonicState comments section, etc bitching about “moog forgetting to make synths and becoming an expensive SJW company” or calling moog “the Apple of synth companies”, etc. Lots of comments about hipsters, virtue signaling, etc. Lots of dudes acting all victimized in broken English and talking jive about “sUpport the Artist that is GOOD, and TALENTED. DO NOT only support because woman😡😡😡” and so forth. Very good read. Much fun.

And when the Behringer clones started coming out like three years later you still had a disturbing number of commenters going on about how thankful they were that you weren’t “forced” to buy from Moog anymore or how they were going to buy these to punish the SJWs and so forth

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

well, it’s not entirely fair to say that Moog didn’t announce it or release statements about specifically trying to platform more women and LGBTQ folk.

I must have missed the whole unrolling of that, but to be clear all I was trying to say was that I'm glad that it doesn't seem inauthentic at all on Moog's part. Shame there are so many people who are still hateful in this community, and I'm glad Moog specifically takes a stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hi I am looking for a thread to post in about making wooping and beep booping music and I think this is the correct thread but I am not sure exactly what counts as a synthasizer? When I was a teen I had this Yamaha PSR-350 with a disk drive and it was pretty sweet. I used it to make all kind of lovely midis but I sold it at some point:

Anyway I was browsing Amazon Warehouse Deals and I saw this monstrosity of a device was -$300 off the Casio WK 7600. I always wanted to try making lovely midis again and this thing looked like it was 100x cooler than my old Yamaha. Its apparently a Workstation/Arranger keyboard? I didn't really know what it was when I ordered it, the thing just seemed to have the most voices of the cheap keyboards. But I've been doing some research and apparently its much cooler than I though and you can combine and manipulate the voices and record macros and even record external instruments :psyduck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YATv5TCWfws

Is this a synthesizer, is this the right thread for me to be posting in? After researching this thing I have found a lot of much cooler $1000+ devices and I am now jealous of an entire class of devices I didn't know existed a few days ago. The big weakness of the Casio WK 7600 is its inability to sample or import new voices. So I can't make the keyboard quack like a duck, I can only make it do normal synthy sounds and manipulate them. It is a USB midi controller so maybe I can use some kind of android app?