Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Eat My Fuc posted:

Dave should get a boob job in my opinion.

Hes already a podcaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

MotU posted:

The only way to get Meltzer criticized is to have an AEW employee say something bad about him

We are in luck

https://twitter.com/Perfec10n/status/1385377974850097155?s=20

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Eat My Fuc posted:

If Dave ever commented on Maki Itoh's plastic surgery this thread would tear itself apart.

forehead implants. I knew it.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Someone forgot to tell Shawn that his wife isn’t actually offended by the commentary on her appearance now that she got fired from WWE :(

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Eat My Fuc posted:

If Dave ever commented on Maki Itoh's plastic surgery this thread would tear itself apart.

I already think Dave is a weird old dude who will die in a paper based fire but I'll still listen to that garbage.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

dave meltzer had them hire shawn spears to dress him down as a good hand and nothing more and then book him exactly that way until his deal ran out

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

He’s trying to get fired

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Shawn Spears is a landlord so all his opinions are invalid

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
the funniest thing is that the source was probably Ric Flair in the first place

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I did a cross data analysis of wrestling people's whose opinions count and whose don't by virtue of employment status, crimes, friends of creeps, etc and the output indicates that the only wrestling person whose opinions cannot be invalided is "Lighting Foot" Jerry Flynn. I trust the science.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Tato posted:

I did a cross data analysis of wrestling people's whose opinions count and whose don't by virtue of employment status, crimes, friends of creeps, etc and the output indicates that the only wrestling person whose opinions cannot be invalided is "Lighting Foot" Jerry Flynn. I trust the science.

I heard that "Lighting Foot" had his foot done to get rid of some ugly fungus that he was subconscious about and he's never been the same since. He used to be known as "Lightning Foot."

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

bimbofied dave

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
My take on any Davetroversy is more a less a checklist.

1) Is there a charitable interpretation of what he said?
There nearly always is, Daves pattern of speech is a bit awkward sometimes, but thats just the way he is.
In this case he said Charlotte was kayfabe suspended because she was having some dental work done, which seems likely.
He also said she has had a total makeover recently, which is obviously true, new gear, new clothes, near hairstyle, lots of working out obvious.
Then he made a clumsy point about WWE being in peoples ear promoting a particularly aesthetic. Which is also almost definitely true.

2) Is there something to gain for the people dragging on Dave?
If Dave Meltzer isn’t on WWEs official enemy list, I’d be deeply shocked. The company is obsessed with controlling narratives and altering history to make themselves the alpha and omega of professional wrestling and Daves position as both a historian and journalist is a threat to their bullshit. If any WWE employee did magically manage to get Dave cancelled somehow and discredited as a journalist and historian, that person would probably get some kind of bonus. So why not take a shot and hope something sticks, it worked with Jeremy Corbyn.

3) Does any participant here have any other possible motive?
Charlotte probably has some heat internally atm. Rhea just cut a promo calling her old/haggard/worn out, which is clearly not off the cuff. Her fiancé just quit very noisily and has been hitting WWE hard in the media. The obvious Charlotte to Ric to Dave pipeline or just Charlotte to Dave pipeline might well be under scrutiny and Charlotte tossing a bomb at Dave publicly might assure some people of her loyalties.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
That’s literally “can I take what Dave Meltzer is saying in the most charitable light and what his critics are saying in the least charitable light?” lol

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

xbilkis posted:

That’s literally “can I take what Dave Meltzer is saying in the most charitable light and what his critics are saying in the least charitable light?” lol

Yes because he has earned it and certainly meant what he said in the way a normal person would interpret it, rather than your weird schtick of performative woke analysis that Charlotte actually hasn't had any plastic work done and if she had nobody can ever comment on it except for the WWE who regularly and verifiably pressure women to get plastic surgery

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Senerio posted:

I think we can all agree that Dave gets a lot of undue poo poo from people both in the industry and in the fanbase for various reasons. I think that sometimes, people (including Dave himself) use that fact to deflect real criticisms away and lump them into that first pile. The big issue is where that line is, between the real criticisms and the bullshit.

This is very well nuanced and fair imo.

Web Jew.0 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 23, 2021

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think Dave said the exact same thing that everyone who’s defending him is saying, I just think it’s bad.

“Media figures shouldn’t offer armchair commentary and psychoanalysis about specific women’s bodies” is somehow performative wokeness and a controversial opinion. Very cool

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I understand why someone would say Dave Meltzer has certainly earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to his commentary about women. Look at his long track record of quality reporting about issues such as sexual assault in the wrestling industry,

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
It was funny when Bryan talked about the large baby

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Dave has privileged access to information, and a wide audience, so he needs to take responsibility for saying things directly about people. He did put Peyton and Charlotte in an uncomfortable position with comments that are completely irresponsible for his position.

The shitstirring accounts who snip and record these things are totally out of order, no good intentions whatsoever except to inflame the situation.

Peyton and Charlotte were well within their rights to complain publicly. Maybe it's not the optimal way to handle the situation, but it's extra pressure on them and their career.

The rest of the WWE jumping on the bandwagon is where it gets worse. It then becomes a WWE matter and that draws attention to the pressures that WWE are putting on talent.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
“we know what Dave was actually trying to say about a legitimate news story”

“he hosed up expressing that point again, should know better, and can take his lumps”

And

“some people in the WWE and elsewhere will harp on this for their own reasons”

can all be true

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

OctoberCountry posted:

It was funny when Bryan talked about the large baby

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I know

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

sleep with the vicious posted:

Yes because he has earned it and certainly meant what he said in the way a normal person would interpret it, rather than your weird schtick of performative woke analysis that Charlotte actually hasn't had any plastic work done and if she had nobody can ever comment on it except for the WWE who regularly and verifiably pressure women to get plastic surgery

Ok but he could of just said something like "WWE asked her to have dental work done and she's having it done" which would of expressed everything he was trying to say without taking a weird guess at how Charlotte is feeling.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Why did Bryan talk about me.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

xbilkis posted:

Why did Bryan talk about me.

He thinks you're nice

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Hell yeah. That does sound funny

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

xbilkis posted:

Yeah, Dave has earned the benefit of the doubt and WWE has earned the opposite. Dave is pretty consistently honest and WWE consistently mendacious. WWE had Charlotte call the other women in the locker room sluts this week on RAW, they don’t get the high ground here.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I don't know about Dave or his trustworthiness, but at this point my faith in WWE is so low that if anyone in there (with the exception of the highest level of corporate leadership) says anything positive about the promotion whatsoever then I'm going assume that they're speaking with the proverbial gun to their head unless proven otherwise.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Here is a transcript of the whole thing Dave said, in the context of Alvarez quickly throwing out other names as well and asking about injury or contract status (Rousey, Orton, Bryan):

Alvarez: Charlotte?

Meltzer: Yeah, so she's, the suspension is a cover reason because she's having, uh, dental work done. So, she's just having a complete makeover, you know, and that's just basically what's happened. It's one of those things, um, with, you know, they make you real subconscious [self-conscious] about your looks when you're a woman in wrestling and it's just, it's one of the negatives about it, but it's the reality of it, and so um...but that's, that's why she's going to be out, that's why she was suspended.

SHOCKING AND APPALLING

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I guess mostly I don't get why they bring her back for two shows only to "suspend" her to get dental work.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

I guess mostly I don't get why

This, except for anything WWE does.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
This is somehow even more of a non issue than the last time people through a fit over Dave's ramblings.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I feel extremely owned for reading all these posts about it and that was the quote.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Eat My Fuc posted:

I realize how bad it is to say this, but

Maki isn't embarrassed about the money she spent (Which sent her into a large debt) getting plastic surgery.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

someone please remind vinny that matt riddle is rapist who said if he couldn't smoke weed he would beat his kids

Ringo Roadagain fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 23, 2021

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

okay

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

Rick posted:

I feel extremely owned for reading all these posts about it and that was the quote.

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

thank you