Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

hakimashou posted:

they should have made deadliest warrior 2 imo that game owned

Deadliest Warrior was peak Chivalry. I have very fond memories of class vs class TDM where the pirates (me among them) would just chill in a corner of the map spamming voice emotes and drinking rum while the rest ran around fighting. And occasionally some Spartan sweatlord would wander too close and get gunned the gently caress down. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Nordick posted:

Deadliest Warrior was peak Chivalry

that's a big agree from me, my friend

hakimashou posted:

bushido blade games are some of the best video games ever made

that's a big agree from me, my friend

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

you've been able to play as "lightly toasted white guy" and "worked all day in the sun white guy" since the beginning

I remember turning whatever the skin tone setting was to as dark as it would let me and my dude still looked like a goddam vampire

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah you've never been able to get it actually dark but you can be like, "italian", or "maybe your grandma was spanish" or something lol

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Nordick posted:

Deadliest Warrior was peak Chivalry.

I'd always just play Viking with as many throwable objects as possible, poo poo was hilarious. When they added throwable targes to Mordhau I did feel a slight pang of joy, but it was overshadowed by how sweaty the game had become by that point.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Class TDM/one life in Deadliest Warrior was the best time I've ever had in a melee game of this type, bar none. It was especially great because it seemed like the classes always filtered to player type; Spartan sweatlords, pirates just off having fun or harassing someone, ninjas trying to be cool and occasionally eeking out a clutch but mostly getting mauled, vikings throwing everything at everyone, samurais kind of the most mixed group of players IIRC.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

God yes, being one of the last on my team on a match the ninjas swept, running down a hallway and hearing a hushed cacophony of "Shh! Quiet! Shh-Shh! " getting closer and closer is forever burned into my brain

Orv
May 4, 2011
It was when the ninjas stopped spamming Shh that you knew you were in real trouble. :v:

Or they'd all been monstered by like one samurai cause that seemed to happen a lot.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Everybody thinks they're tough until the kanabo samurai shows up :black101:

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
As someone who really liked the Deadliest Warrior show, I'm feeling really left out by never playing the game. :(

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It was fun but so unbalanced that I had a hard time enjoying it to be honest

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I know it's only a beta weekend, but I'm surprised there's no Chivalry 2 thread yet. Are goons just not excited about it?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I know it's only a beta weekend, but I'm surprised there's no Chivalry 2 thread yet. Are goons just not excited about it?

I'll get excited about it when I see something to suggest it's not just completely superfluous with Mordhau. Though to be fair, I haven't exactly been looking very hard.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Nordick posted:

I'll get excited about it when I see something to suggest it's not just completely superfluous with Mordhau. Though to be fair, I haven't exactly been looking very hard.

Not sure how you feel about IGN but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRJ1RYkNatw

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Okay, I have to admit that being able to pick up severed heads and throw them at people is a really drat funny idea, but other than that, I didn't really see anything in that video that would significantly differentiate the game from Mordhau. Guess I'll wait and look around for some article or video that actually compares the games.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im excited about it

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Chivalry is a better game than Mordhau so if they keep up the good work with chiv2 it’s something to be excited about

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Looks floaty, no momentum on players, healing auras, weapons have "special attacks" on their own bind, leaning mostly on "Okay now this is epic" for its atmosphere. Don't think so.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I have been playing the beta and it’s good and cool. The “special attack” is like a really big wind up overhead with your axe that costs a ton of stamina not exactly a big deal.

If you are still playing mordhau in 2021 it’s probably still your jam but if you are a normal person check out chivalry 2.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think one of the previews someone wrote put it best, where Mordhau is a medieval combat 'simulator' and Chivalry is a medieval battlefield 'simulator.' If you wanna sweat it out and deal with the hot bullshit that has become the norm in Mordhau that's fine, but if you wanna have fun and have some light mastery possible Chivalry 2 is there.

My real concern at this point is that people will just develop more ridiculous backwards helicopter attacks with Chiv 2 but the devs have said they can tweak things a lot better than the first game being set in stone once it was released.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My first round was fun, but I was experiencing some desync, so hopefully that was just bad luck

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
after training in the hyperbolic time chamber that is mordhau, performing counters is insanely easy

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I played the demo of Chiv 2 at PAX East and it seemed really fun but none of the PAX goers knew about stabbing or overheads or realized that they didnt change the voice command binds and no one else was spamming laugh and that made me sad.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Ok I'm watching someone stream the game, and the tutorial actually straight-up tells you to just spam emotes "for roleplaying". And I dunno if the tutorial character has a unique voice set or something, but one of the battle cries was "WHAT IS EVEN HAPPENING?!"

I think I may be warming up to Chiv2, is what I'm sayin

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Its a lot of fun, and the tutorial actually teaches people how to play the game more than just "swing"

It teaches you about dragging, for example

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
its kind of bad its like chivalry but if your guy has leg irons on and hand cuffs and a ball and chain attached to him

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

It's close, but still rough around the edges. A 3 month delay would do wonders. If it releases like this in a month it won't be good. There are definite netcode issues that become worse the more people are conregated in an area

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Does it have characters that aren't white dudes

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

megane posted:

Where there non-white people in the Masonic Order?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zotix posted:

It's close, but still rough around the edges. A 3 month delay would do wonders. If it releases like this in a month it won't be good. There are definite netcode issues that become worse the more people are conregated in an area

agree

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
really bummed to hear that it sucks especially since its downloading

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It doesn't suck, it could just use a few more months

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Knight with the second weapon, the Axe is straight murder.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Nevermind, the game grew on me overnight

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think this game just plays differently enough from AoChiv, Chiv, and Mordhau that its taking me a bit to get used to. Once I started going for counters way more, it felt better. I think I needed to get used to the fact that people could hold block.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah a friend of mine tells me that it's less like a Chiv 2 and more like another different competitor in the genre, since it plays differently. Like another War of the Roses, but not.... that.

should we petition for a name change or is someone going to make a new thread? Remove the "Mordhau:", change it to "Chivalry is Dead, Long Live Chivalry 2!" or something lol

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, it does feel quite distinctly different, but not in a bad way. It seems much less about faking out parries through timing than either Chiv 1 or Mordhau, and more about stamina management and mindgames. Though of course it's a bit difficult to judge quite yet since the two maps are basically just giant clusterfucks where most fights are resolved by conking somebody in the back of the head while they aren't looking. :v:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 24, 2021

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

megane posted:

Yes, which by itself puts it thousands of years ahead of Mordhau.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Trying out the EGS store, just this once, for Chivalry 2.

Babe Magnet posted:

should we petition for a name change or is someone going to make a new thread? Remove the "Mordhau:", change it to "Chivalry is Dead, Long Live Chivalry 2!" or something lol

Chivalry 2: Mordhau is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.

Zotix posted:

Where there non-white people in the Masonic Order?

I can't stand this Deus Vult crap. Who cares if it's not historically accurate? The modern sample of people that play video games is way bigger and more diverse than it's ever been and everyone wants to see themselves represented. Go watch a Ken Burns documentary if you want accurate.