Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Surely the most environmental burial is just throwing your body into the woods so the animals can have at it

Doesn't capture all of your CO2 and final methane farts though. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Mister Speaker posted:

The only big problem with the science in the show, and it is a big one, is that the old-school 'biker meth' P2P method they move to quite early on couldn't possibly yield any purity near what they achieve - it has something to do with chirality, I'm also no chemist. But this much can easily be chalked up to Walt's genius having cracked the code to separate the mirror molecules. This is actually cleverly brought up in an episode when Walt is grilling Victor in Box Cutter, he asks him "If our reduction is not stereospecific, then how can our product be enantiomerically pure?" to which there is no answer, except presumably in Walt's big galaxy brain.

Yes, that's basically it. The right-handed isomer of methamphetamine is the one that gives all the psychoactive effects, while the left-handed one does only the decongestant stuff. But methylamine is non-chiral, and the "old-school biker meth" process makes equal quantities of D- and L- isomers, so you never get more than 50% of the product being psychoactive. Walt's innovation, which would genuinely be an incredible discovery in process chemistry, is some secret way to produce only the D- isomer from a non-chiral precursor.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

All corpses should just by sent aloft with weather balloons, drifting in the jet stream until the balloon pops and Grandpa Joe becomes a "Them problem" and not a "Me problem"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Otteration posted:

Cheapest and most environmentally friendly legal body disposal in the US (barring donation) might be basic pine box without embalming.

I think heavy-duty cardboard is what cities use for unclaimed bodies.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer
NIMBY (Not In My Bone Yard).

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

I think heavy-duty cardboard is what cities use for unclaimed bodies.

Yep, forgot about the cardboard option where available. Not sure whether cardboard vs. wood is better on the environment, and don't give enough of a drat to do the math. 🙂

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Sagebrush posted:

Yes, that's basically it. The right-handed isomer of methamphetamine is the one that gives all the psychoactive effects, while the left-handed one does only the decongestant stuff. But methylamine is non-chiral, and the "old-school biker meth" process makes equal quantities of D- and L- isomers, so you never get more than 50% of the product being psychoactive. Walt's innovation, which would genuinely be an incredible discovery in process chemistry, is some secret way to produce only the D- isomer from a non-chiral precursor.

Man, those old-school bikers must have had the driest sinuses. Just a barren desert all through their nasal cavity.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Otteration posted:

Yep, forgot about the cardboard option where available. Not sure whether cardboard vs. wood is better on the environment, and don't give enough of a drat to do the math. 🙂

I would think cardboard would degrade faster than intact wood. Dunno about the various chemicals that might be used in both though.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Mister Speaker posted:

They sort of address this in the show, although having rewatched it recently they're talking about (as far as I know) a completely different chemical. When Jesse goes to Mexico to show the cartel his methods, they don't have barrels of phenylacetic acid like his lab does; their cook says they synthesize it themselves, and that 'any chemistry student could make their own' before Jesse goes Quality Control on him and makes him source the "barrel with the bee on it." I had initially thought this was the same as the methylamine from earlier and later in the series - there's a bit of confusion because the barrels look very similar to the one they steal in season 1, but on rewatch it's totally different stuff. In any case there's your "anyone worth their salt could make this themselves" moment.

I'm not a scientist either, I just recently rewatched the whole series and loved it, maybe even more than the first time through.

I just had to go rewatch this scene again (S4E10 "Salud" if anyone is curious) because I'd always taken Jesse's statement as "if its so easy then go make it and get back to me" and you can really go either way with it. Jesse only mentions the barrel with the bee to Gus who tells the chemists that Jesse was under the impression that the phenylacetic acid would already be synthesized upon their arrival. Jesse then tells them to get his precursor while they all clean the lab. On the one hand, the Bee brand is never mentioned to the chemist but on the other hand a cartel guys asks the chemist how long it will take to get the precursor and the chemist says "I don't know, I have no idea, several hours at least" which implies he isn't making something he's done multiple times (of course he could be a new hire himself).

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Ror posted:

This is where we can all learn from the professionals. Mexican cartels swear by it too, you just throw it all in a 55-gallon drum and heat it up. Don't overcomplicate things with chemicals you can't pronounce, just get some good old-fashioned lye.

Lye: for all your body dissolving needs.

Well I know that if I keep pork trotters on the boil for 13 hours you get a very porky broth and some disarticulated bone fragments.

This is the article (or a very similar one)

Alkaline Hydrolysis aka Wet Cremation

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I no longer have the book but the wet cremation method is in mary roach's 'stiff' I think I remember her witnessing a demonstration of some kind.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Speaking of dissolving bodies in the safety thread, a while back Modern Rogue did a video about boiling bodies in lye and at 4:08 in this timestamped video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-eMOCMDQj8&t=248s
they show their previous attempt where they accidentally used an aluminum pot and produced hydrogen foam. The cold opening shows where the foam later overflowed onto the open flame and caught the whole pot on fire:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-eMOCMDQj8&t=10s

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Aquamation won't completely eliminate ther body, you still have the bones and teeth.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Trying to imagine the funeral ceremony that ends with "...ashes to ashes..." and then grandma gets tossed into the pen:

https://lethbridgenewsnow.com/2020/08/05/can-pigs-make-a-body-disappear-almost/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Nice! posted:

They cook once or twice with psuedo then Jessie informs Walter that he can't get anymore because he ran out of smurf buyers. That's when Walter gets the idea to steal some methylamine instead to use as a precursor.

Starting with methylamine is a weird process that no one does anymore, and it wouldn’t yield the “enantiomerically pure” product Walt crows about.

The science advisor presented several options for processes. Methylamine was chosen because the actors could pronounce it.

They mispronounce it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Starting with methylamine is a weird process that no one does anymore, and it wouldn’t yield the “enantiomerically pure” product Walt crows about.

That's Walt's secret. He invented something nobody else knows about.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

zedprime posted:

Don't they neutralize the body soup and put it down the sewer drain too

Gonna specify this in my will but only if they literally flush me down a toilet bit by bit :george:

It is every citizen’s final doody to go into the septic tanks

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Cthulu Carl posted:

I would think cardboard would degrade faster than intact wood. Dunno about the various chemicals that might be used in both though.

Nit: making cardboard prob produces more co2 then making pine boards? Degradation rates probably don't matter. It's underground. 3 months vs 6 months, whatever.

And for most deaths and funerals and families, cardboard probably ain't going to cut it.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Alkydere posted:

Payday 2 had a meth level where you combined 3 ingredients in random order to make your meth, all while fighting back an endless police raid. Caustic Soda, Muriatic Acid...and I think Hydrochloric acid.

Yes, Payday 2 did indeed have a mission where you mixed caustic soda, hydrochloric acid, and hydrochloric acid; if you mixed up the order between hydrochloric acid and hydrochloric acid it would explode

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Otteration posted:

Nit: making cardboard prob produces more co2 then making pine boards? Degradation rates probably don't matter. It's underground. 3 months vs 6 months, whatever.

And for most deaths and funerals and families, cardboard probably ain't going to cut it.

Brazil had those cardboard hospital beds for COVID patients. When the patient expired the bed could be converted into a box for easy disposal of the contents.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Z the IVth posted:

Brazil had those cardboard hospital beds for COVID patients. When the patient expired the bed could be converted into a box for easy disposal of the contents.

India might need those in a few days, going by their numbers

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Safety shun.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Yes, Payday 2 did indeed have a mission where you mixed caustic soda, hydrochloric acid, and hydrochloric acid; if you mixed up the order between hydrochloric acid and hydrochloric acid it would explode

And in the real world, mixing hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide gives you...table salt. In water

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

There’s a burial method I vaguely remember reading about that the end step was to shake the corpse on a table until it turned into dust. Does anyone know what that is, or did I dream that up?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Z the IVth posted:

Yep. Quicker than pine boxes for sure. Whatever works.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-46142977

E: Sorry, I guess work safety belongs more in here:

"A Methamphetamine Dictatorship? Hitler, Nazi Germany, and Drug Abuse

June 23, 2016"

https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/view/methamphetamine-dictatorship-hitler-nazi-germany-and-drug-abuse

Et al.

Otteration fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 23, 2021

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

RandolphCarter posted:

There’s a burial method I vaguely remember reading about that the end step was to shake the corpse on a table until it turned into dust. Does anyone know what that is, or did I dream that up?

Gonna need some of the prior steps for clues, tbh. :)

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Otteration posted:

Just curious, but what's the point/advantage? Cheaper? Environment? In the Midwest, regular cremation costs around $1000 atm. Probably over 50% of that goes into natural gas costs?
You can cremate a large dog (private cremation) for a couple hundred bucks, so I can't imagine there's 500 dollars worth of natural gas use in cremating a person.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Otteration posted:

Gonna need some of the prior steps for clues, tbh. :)

Unfortunately I don’t remember anything else with certainty. Maybe they froze the body with liquid nitrogen, but I’m not sure.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Searched "vibration based cremation" and came up with this.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

RandolphCarter posted:

RandolphCarter posted:

Unfortunately I don’t remember anything else with certainty. Maybe they froze the body with liquid nitrogen, but I’m not sure.

You're thinking of "Promession", a variant of freeze-drying.

quote:

Devised by Swedish biologist Susanne Wiigh-Mäsak, who spent 20 years developing the concept, promession is an elaborate decomposition system that takes a body, freezes it, vibrates it to dust, and dehydrates it, to create what the inventor claims is the most eco-friendly form of burial ever devised.

You didn't dream it up, it's just based on freezing, then shaking apart the corpse into dust, then freeze-drying it out. Gotta have that first step, otherwise all you're making is a human goop slurry.
Predictably, the company went like 20 years without producing a viable prototype, and was liquidated.

e: ^ Beaten by Scholtz

SubNat fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 23, 2021

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

SubNat posted:

You're thinking of "Promession", a variant of freeze-drying.

You didn't dream it up, it's just based on freezing, then shaking apart the corpse into dust, then freeze-drying it out. Gotta have that first step, otherwise all you're making is a human goop slurry.
Predictably, the company went like 20 years without producing a viable prototype, and was liquidated.

Thanks for figuring that out for me. That’d be my choice.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Slugworth posted:

You can cremate a large dog (private cremation) for a couple hundred bucks, so I can't imagine there's 500 dollars worth of natural gas use in cremating a person.

Looks like you are correct. Another reason why I hate the funeral industry. Yay!

https://howtostartanllc.com/business-ideas/crematorium

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Slugworth posted:

Dogs aren't people sized in most cases. Most americans are swinging around 2-4 labradors of varying size. I'm about 2 fat labs, or 3 in decent shape.

Also pet cremations are usually done multiple at a time. Unless you specify you want it cremated alone, it's 2-8 animals at a time, depending on the size of the oven. At best, there's a divider keeping remains separate.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

RandolphCarter posted:

:wave: I posted a video about it on the previous page.

Otteration posted:

How to dress up a cardboard cremation casket for a low cost funeral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDfppCbKAXY

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

A pretty decent chunk of the energy used to burn a corpse comes from the corpse itself

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

When I was 14 or so my best friend thought that the most badass funeral ever would be to just have an empty grave and no apparent casket anywhere. But then the crowd starts hearing the intro to "Down With the Sickness," getting louder and louder. Your body is actually in a helicopter far above the funeral and the release is timed so that you smash into the hole in the ground at terminal velocity directly between the "ooh-ah-ah-ah-ah" and the riff. I don't remember if the body is in a coffin or not.

I still think about it a lot, only now I know that OSHA regulations would probably ruin it.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Humphreys posted:

As a landowner with lots of space and stumps to get rid of, I would love access to this stuff. Alas I am in Australia where we may be free, we are restricted in 'things go boom'. It's probably for the best as I do enjoy alcohol and doing stupid things.

Just do separate orders of Tanner and Ite or even Tan, Ner, It and E and "they" will not notice.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I remember reading something a while back about a process where you get freeze dried, crushed into powder, and put in a pod that fertilizes a new tree. That seems like a pretty neat option, eco friendly, you get to give back to the community, and friends and family can come visit your tree. I'm almost positive it's not just from an Orson Scott Card book.

Ror posted:

When I was 14 or so my best friend thought that the most badass funeral ever would be to just have an empty grave and no apparent casket anywhere. But then the crowd starts hearing the intro to "Down With the Sickness," getting louder and louder. Your body is actually in a helicopter far above the funeral and the release is timed so that you smash into the hole in the ground at terminal velocity directly between the "ooh-ah-ah-ah-ah" and the riff. I don't remember if the body is in a coffin or not.

I still think about it a lot, only now I know that OSHA regulations would probably ruin it.

Made me think of this commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEe_2g0Bjuc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Ror posted:

Also you'd need quite the bombsight and streamlined casket to make sure the body got anywhere near the hole, assuming you're talking about a regular grave sized hole. Most likely instead the body would smash into some of the attendees and it would be a surprise C-C-C-COMBO FUNERAL.