Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

aphid_licker posted:

A pretty decent chunk of the energy used to burn a corpse comes from the corpse itself

Yep, but a crematorium probably doesn't get to rely on that, and is legally bound to cook it all until only the crunchy bits are left to be sure.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_human_combustion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Also you'd need quite the bombsight and streamlined casket to make sure the body got anywhere near the hole, assuming you're talking about a regular grave sized hole. Most likely instead the body would smash into some of the attendees and it would be a surprise C-C-C-COMBO FUNERAL.

Laser-guided coffin ofc.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

RoastBeef posted:

Laser-guided coffin ofc.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Uthor posted:

There's an idea of freeze drying corpses, but doesn't seem like anyone has used it on a human body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXbKXjqXKLY

In the video, she mentions "wet" cremation as another theoretical option that hasn't left the concept phase, but I don't know anything about it.

I thought she had a video of someone looking at how to turn cremation remains into animal feed, but I can't find it.

It's in the second half of the Reviewing Movie Corpses video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ohis8hE9LM&t=755s

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

:hmmyes:

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

RoastBeef posted:

Laser-guided coffin ofc.

"Pickle barrel":

https://www.maxwell.af.mil/News/Display/Article/420450/the-enigma-of-the-norden-bombsight/

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Slugworth posted:

You can cremate a large dog (private cremation) for a couple hundred bucks, so I can't imagine there's 500 dollars worth of natural gas use in cremating a person.

It cost me less that $500 to fill my propane tank that lasts the house for over a year. I could definitely burn a body for that price. Maybe I need another side hustle.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Also you'd need quite the bombsight and streamlined casket to make sure the body got anywhere near the hole, assuming you're talking about a regular grave sized hole. Most likely instead the body would smash into some of the attendees and it would be a surprise C-C-C-COMBO FUNERAL.

This isn’t 1940.

Use fins and active guidance.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I remember reading something a while back about a process where you get freeze dried, crushed into powder, and put in a pod that fertilizes a new tree. That seems like a pretty neat option, eco friendly, you get to give back to the community, and friends and family can come visit your tree. I'm almost positive it's not just from an Orson Scott Card book.

Made me think of this commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEe_2g0Bjuc

I wanna be freeze dried, sliced, and released into the collectibles market.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Platystemon posted:

This isn’t 1940.

Use fins and active guidance.

GBU-420 Graveway laser-guided casket.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Wingnut Ninja posted:

GBU-420 Graveway laser-guided casket.

Do you want the KISS trim package or the ICP?

KISS has cup holders, ICP is BYOFF. The extra 'F' is for extra Faygo.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

I take it back

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qs0bzsGyyE1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qrzinfIm3x1s1ddrj.mp4

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/spKi6NU.gifv

Fuckin rear end in a top hat train, get hosed!

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

so thats why five guys has the soggiest fries in the world

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Goast posted:

so thats why five guys has the soggiest fries in the world

I never really got the big deal about Five Guys. Maybe I just had a poo poo franchise or whatever because the food always took forever and was never that amazing and then Smashburger moved in down the road and the Five Guys location went "Welp, gently caress cleaning up this peanut shells" and closed.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/eHEuzsq.mp4

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
If we're trying to find a way to efficiently cremate bodies, can't we just ask germany?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

aphid_licker posted:

Is tannerite more freely available than TNT, black powder, ANFO and what is the reasoning behind that, respectively? Seems like 80 pounds of tannerite would make a pretty nasty car bomb.

The catch is it's practically impossible to set it on fire to make it go boom, use electricity, etc.

Unless you can dump a high velocity rifle round into it, it's not going off

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Tannerite is easy to get because guns.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Safety equipment:
Thin blanket, folded
Bowler hat, well-starched

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

What if we used tannerite to dispose of remains?

If your entry to the world can be marked with an explosion that registers on seismographs and results in a mass casualty event and a wildfire, then your exit from the world should be marked the same way.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Are there legitimate uses for the two components of tannerite separately? Maybe we should just restrict them already

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

Xaintrailles posted:

Safety equipment:
Thin blanket, folded
Bowler hat, well-starched

Moustache, firmly waxed

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

haveblue posted:

Are there legitimate uses for the two components of tannerite separately? Maybe we should just restrict them already

its fertilizer and aluminum powder

that's pretty unregulatable

(yes I know that ammonium nitrate [the fertilizer part of tannerite] is at the least a license restricted/tracked by stores that sell it for people who buy a bunch, but there's legitimate uses for it, and I'd rather not have "how much ammonium nitrate is too much to buy" in my search history)

Raymond T. Racing fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 24, 2021

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cthulu Carl posted:

I never really got the big deal about Five Guys. Maybe I just had a poo poo franchise or whatever because the food always took forever and was never that amazing and then Smashburger moved in down the road and the Five Guys location went "Welp, gently caress cleaning up this peanut shells" and closed.

Five Guys by me is pretty solid, thought the fries are bad and I never get them.

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

If we're trying to find a way to efficiently cremate bodies, can't we just ask germany?

drat.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

This is one of the tasks I legitimately miss about working in kitchens. Actually I enjoyed most prep work, but punching fries was always great because there's a technique and a physicality to it. Plus I'd get to carry around like, hundreds of pounds of potatoes from wherever dry storage was. It really appealed to my young meathead sensibilities. Most places I worked at used a press that was attached to the wall though, so you would punch downwards into buckets or busbins of water. You'd eventually get the technique and it would feel just like you're throwing the press right through the potato, it ruled.

What didn't rule was occasionally finding a huge centipede in the boxes of potatoes.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 24, 2021

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
fresh cut potatoes right into the fryer is loving awful i cant get over that

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Goast posted:

It's the latest foodie thing. Frying potatoes in cold water.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

It's the latest foodie thing. Frying potatoes in cold water.

One of them water fryers, huh?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Goast posted:

I don't think that's a fryer though. With the plastic divider and all I'd more expect an ice bath or something.

*Note: I worked at a pizzeria back in the day, not a place that fried anything.

E: f,b.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

shame on an IGA posted:

Star Trek Nerds posted:

A more notable aspect of Ferengi death rituals happened between the chopping up and selling pieces of the body, where the remains were immediately vacuum-desiccated, then divided into fifty-two disks, each disk typically marked with the Ferengi Seal of Dismemberment. In addition to localized sales, one could always sell the desiccated remains of their corpse on the Ferengi Futures Exchange.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Buff Hardback posted:

The catch is it's practically impossible to set it on fire to make it go boom, use electricity, etc.

Unless you can dump a high velocity rifle round into it, it's not going off

That just makes it a secondary explosive.

Get thee a blasting cap, or a primary explosive in any other form.

in Minecraft. :nsa:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Aren't fries normally parboiled first? Anyways given that the driving force is his own body weight and grip, it seems pretty low-occurrence to somehow mash your own hand in there.

1/10 OSHA needs more fryer explosions

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Five guys fries are soggy because they're not par-fried (fried twice) it's a different experience, I grew up eating Dick's, so the fresh potatoes soaked and straight into oil is a method I'm used to, they taste a little more potato-y to me that way.

I was also absolutely fascinated by the potato slicer dealy as a child.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I cut potatoes and put them in hot oil all the time.

Not once have I ended up with a product as sorry as In‐N‐Out’s.

They’ve put effort into making bad fries, and it’s baffling because there are really only two variables, temperature and time.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Ror posted:

When I was 14 or so my best friend thought that the most badass funeral ever would be to just have an empty grave and no apparent casket anywhere. But then the crowd starts hearing the intro to "Down With the Sickness," getting louder and louder. Your body is actually in a helicopter far above the funeral and the release is timed so that you smash into the hole in the ground at terminal velocity directly between the "ooh-ah-ah-ah-ah" and the riff. I don't remember if the body is in a coffin or not.

I still think about it a lot, only now I know that OSHA regulations would probably ruin it.

loving badass

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Elviscat posted:

Five guys fries are soggy because they're not par-fried (fried twice) it's a different experience, I grew up eating Dick's, so the fresh potatoes soaked and straight into oil is a method I'm used to, they taste a little more potato-y to me that way.

I was also absolutely fascinated by the potato slicer dealy as a child.

1.) You may just have lovely branches near you. The local ones near me have great non-soggy fries. Cajun Fries-4-Lyfe.
2.) Par-fried does not mean fried twice. Par is short for partial, and is a technique to cook something partially, for later packaging, and the completion of cooking later at the consumers convenience. With fries, it's just "fried twice", or "double fried".
3.) I'm sorry you had to grow up eating dicks. A paper-route would've been a much less demeaning way to earn money.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

1.) You may just have lovely branches near you. The local ones near me have great non-soggy fries. Cajun Fries-4-Lyfe.
2.) Par-fried does not mean fried twice. Par is short for partial, and is a technique to cook something partially, for later packaging, and the completion of cooking later at the consumers convenience. With fries, it's just "fried twice", or "double fried".
3.) I'm sorry you had to grow up eating dicks. A paper-route would've been a much less demeaning way to earn money.

Ok, I'm sorry, they're cooked once, and then cooked a second time, don't know where the confusion came in there.

Eating Dick's is great and everyone should do it it at least once.

I've eaten at a few Five Guys and all their fries seem about the same? I too enjoy the cajun seasoning on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Elviscat posted:

Ok, I'm sorry, they're cooked once, and then cooked a second time, don't know where the confusion came in there.

Eating Dick's is great and everyone should do it it at least once.

Yeah, I was loving stoked to go to Dicks when I went to Seattle a few years back. Then I broke my ankle literally 5 minutes after arriving. Had to drive myself back to Canada with the busted ankle to get dat free health care.

Never got my lips around some of those Dicks. Shame.