Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I could sit here and gush about and quote Darkplace all day too but

KNOCK IT OFF YOU TWO THIS IS THE EARLY FPS MEGATHREAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
To win the game, you must defeat this Renwick customer.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
https://youtu.be/ijrx_8eUB44

One of my favourite bits in any comedy.

Had no idea anyone had heard of this outside of the UK.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
There needs to be a sequence where you're on bicycles dubbed with motorcycle noises while chasing the level boss

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Vile Stuff posted:

Played on I wanna say the Sci-Fi Channel in the US years ago and my friends and I became obsessed with it. Amazing that someone tweeted about their light gun version within days of someone posting about their dream FPS version lol

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

KNOCK IT OFF YOU TWO THIS IS THE EARLY FPS MEGATHREAD

I post the only way I know how - by placing one letter after the other in quick succession.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 23, 2021

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I thought we all agreed that Darkplaces is bad and ugly, good only for very specific applications?

:v:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Groovelord Neato posted:

Played on I wanna say the Sci-Fi Channel in the US years ago

Adult Swim IIRC

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i'm a one wad lover, in a two iwad lane

bop bop

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

haveblue posted:

Adult Swim IIRC

Looked it up and it was Sci-Fi Channel first but yeah it also played on Adult Swim.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

tfw there are too many Zombiemen in the vicinity

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 23, 2021

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

laserghost posted:

I thought we all agreed that Darkplaces is bad and ugly, good only for very specific applications?

:v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8Vbf7WG0fY&t=77s

I am unreasonably bothered by the thread title for this reason. please change it to Garth Marenghi's Fitzquake Mark V

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Kins I'm sorry for derailing the thread but also.

More FPS ideas:

Melee - Shovel

Pistol(s) - Dagless's Revolver and Sanchez's semi-auto

Thornton's shotgun

I forgot Dagless uses a flamethrower at the end of episode 1

I don't think there needs to be an excuse why military ordinance is hanging around a hospital. There's a rocket launcher there for some reason.

Since Dagless is an expert in the arcane and black arts, the BFG/Plasma tier weapons could be magic powers.

Me writing the design document for this game I'll never make:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Vile Stuff posted:

I knew it after investigating a bit after watching the IT Crowd.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Vile Stuff posted:

British humor has been popular with American nerds since Python, and these days with the internet its a lot easier to follow random British comedy shows.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hey what's the best Build Engine game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXBBGjUjy2c

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Zaphod42 posted:

British humor has been popular with American nerds since Python, and these days with the internet its a lot easier to follow random British comedy shows.
It also aired on Adult Swim (Cartoon Network) in the US, which immensely helped its popularity

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Couldn't get into Powerslave because of the wonky arsenal. How do you make an FPS without a shotgun equivalent? The Player Dude even has one slung over his back on the cover art! :argh:
TBH this somehow literally never bothered me. The M60 machine gun just felt incredibly punchy to me, it basically filled the same niche in my head (even though in terms of gameplay, it really doesn't) and quickly became my workhorse. I feel like this might be more true of the console ports than the DOS one, though, depending on how reactive to being shot enemies were on the latter (which, despite literally replaying some opening levels of said DOS version in Raze a few days ago, I can't remember with much certainty - getting hit almost always stuns enemies on Saturn, though).

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Shoehead posted:

Hey what's the best Build Engine game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXBBGjUjy2c

:perfect:

Shadow Hog posted:

TBH this somehow literally never bothered me. The M60 machine gun just felt incredibly punchy to me, it basically filled the same niche in my head (even though in terms of gameplay, it really doesn't) and quickly became my workhorse. I feel like this might be more true of the console ports than the DOS one, though, depending on how reactive to being shot enemies were on the latter (which, despite literally replaying some opening levels of said DOS version in Raze a few days ago, I can't remember with much certainty - getting hit almost always stuns enemies on Saturn, though).

Y'know I never played the Saturn version, I wonder if I should give that a shot. I hear it's kinda like a metroidvania as opposed to level based?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Y'know I never played the Saturn version, I wonder if I should give that a shot. I hear it's kinda like a metroidvania as opposed to level based?
You should! The autoaim is generous enough that it can focus on making you do the deadly dance with enemy projectiles instead, which works really well as a substitute for being able to aim willy-nilly with a mouse. That said, NightDive is allegedly still working on releasing a port - though Kaiser's old port of the PS1 version is Out There if you don't mind :filez:.

And it's kind of both, I guess? There are distinct levels but you revisit some of them frequently with new abilities obtained from later levels, letting you unlock new areas in them. Really, though, I'm not sure how else such a game would've worked on the console, short of literally being like Metroid Prime and loading in every individual room tied to every individual door constantly.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Zaphod42 posted:

I get that, but it's pretty niche even here. I guess Matt Berry doing well in the US will have helped. Cool to see so much love for it on a predominantly American site though!

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

The Vile Stuff posted:

I get that, but it's pretty niche even here. I guess Matt Berry doing well in the US will have helped. Cool to see so much love for it on a predominantly American site though!

I think UK comedy is more well known in the US than maybe you realize. David Mitchell was a meme on these forums and I've even seen "Benny Harvey RIP" graffiti around my dumb town in a state so conservative and unimportant that 80% of Americans would probably gesture vaguely toward the midwest if asked to point it out on a map.

Not just nerds, either. Growing up, virtually everybody was quoting Monty Python in school and I'd wager that if you could ask the entire country "what is the best/most important sketch comedy group" Python would win out, as long as you don't count "Bill Burr", "Family Guy" or "what the gently caress is a sketch comedy?" as answers and execute anyone who mentions SNL on the spot.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Adult Swim also introduced me to Look Around You and I will always be grateful

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I want to watch Darkplace but I never had any of the channels when it was showing. Is it officially streaming anywhere or do I need to track down Youtube vids?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

catlord posted:

I want to watch Darkplace but I never had any of the channels when it was showing. Is it officially streaming anywhere or do I need to track down Youtube vids?

It's on All 4 if you're in the UK (or have a VPN!)

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

catlord posted:

Every episode has been on youtube in full for like a decade

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Carpator Diei posted:

The environmental aesthetics definitely deserve to be in a better game, in my opinion. The enemy sprites... have character. But yeah, the sounds and especially the enemies' lines need some work.
A simple remake of Rides Again on a Blood basis could already result in something nice, Rides Again has some genuinely good level ideas.

That would be extremely cool. Most of those games have very similar arsenals and enemy rosters aside from the explicitly gimmicky parts, so a crossover could just pick the most interesting option for every niche.
e: Ion Fury doesn't have interesting weapons or enemies anyway, so nothing is lost :v: (Well, maybe with the exception of those skinless guys with the burning heads)
I was figuring it would be a thing where every couple of levels you swap between a different character, and that since time space shenanigans would be involved(probably some sort of excuse plot about all the villains of all the Build Engine games teaming up), you'd be constantly hopping between different level designs and enemy sets from different games

The United States posted:

It also aired on Adult Swim (Cartoon Network) in the US, which immensely helped its popularity

Along with quite a few other British comedy shows, which all had the common thread of being weird as hell(more than a few kids probably got traumatized by staying up too late and being exposed to Old Gregg)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Convex posted:

It's on All 4 if you're in the UK (or have a VPN!)

Ah, thanks!

treat posted:

Every episode has been on youtube in full for like a decade

And thank you! I try to find the official channels before turning to Youtube, but sometimes it's just the easiest place to find stuff. Best place to watch Lost Tapes, so far as I know.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

treat posted:

I think UK comedy is more well known in the US than maybe you realize. David Mitchell was a meme on these forums and I've even seen "Benny Harvey RIP" graffiti around my dumb town in a state so conservative and unimportant that 80% of Americans would probably gesture vaguely toward the midwest if asked to point it out on a map.

Not just nerds, either. Growing up, virtually everybody was quoting Monty Python in school and I'd wager that if you could ask the entire country "what is the best/most important sketch comedy group" Python would win out, as long as you don't count "Bill Burr", "Family Guy" or "what the gently caress is a sketch comedy?" as answers and execute anyone who mentions SNL on the spot.

Guess I didn't phrase it well, I mean Darkplace is / was pretty niche in the UK. I know British comedy has a generally good rep abroad.
If anything, from what you're all saying, it sounds like Darkplace got more support in the US than at home: it was unceremoniously dumped late in the scheduling on channel 4 and took years of campaigning from the fanbase for it to get a proper DVD release.
I vividly remember coming home from the pub as a student, turning on the TV at just the right moment to discover Darkplace. As great as on demand streaming is, you don't really get those kind of serendipitous what the gently caress moments from it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well good thing i hadn't bought that alien isolation nostromo dlc cuz its being packaged free with the epic giveaway today

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

site posted:

Well good thing i hadn't bought that alien isolation nostromo dlc cuz its being packaged free with the epic giveaway today

I have yet to actually play any game I've gotten from Epic or otherwise use Epic for anything other than logging in to collect the free game. Not sure if that counts as a win in Epic's book.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I played ghostbusters and tried enter the gungeon for about 5 minutes but definitely have not paid for anything

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

treat posted:

"Are we the baddies?" is a bit of a meme at this point, I imagine lots of people get linked to random Mitch & Webb skits from youtube who never even sought out the show by name.

So yeah, pretty widespread at this point.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TOOT BOOT posted:

I have yet to actually play any game I've gotten from Epic or otherwise use Epic for anything other than logging in to collect the free game. Not sure if that counts as a win in Epic's book.

Same but mostly because my laptop is a decade old pile and most of the games they've been giving away would make it implode if I tried running them

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I haven’t spent a penny on Epic and have only spent like $50 total in Steam since I get most things on there for free too. PC gaming owns.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

My mate who has infinitely more patience than me somehow played through that Ghostbusters game on Epic, and it was a bad mix of movie fanservice and dated Gears of War worship. It also has terrible optimisation and can easily dip framerate into 20-somethings no matter the settings and the specs. And the cutscenes are interpolated recordings from the original game, bloating the game size into PS4 levels. It basically killed my good memories of the first movie.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

laserghost posted:

My mate who has infinitely more patience than me somehow played through that Ghostbusters game on Epic, and it was a bad mix of movie fanservice and dated Gears of War worship. It also has terrible optimisation and can easily dip framerate into 20-somethings no matter the settings and the specs. And the cutscenes are interpolated recordings from the original game, bloating the game size into PS4 levels. It basically killed my good memories of the first movie.

It's been years since I played but what do you mean by this?

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The Epic version is a remaster with updated graphics. iirc you can't even buy the original any more as it was delisted.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

It'd be funny if they meant "interlaced."

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Cutscenes are raw video files, MP4 format I think. And some of them are in 3840x2160 format so they desync and lag when your PC tries to scale them down to your display resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

azurite posted:

It'd be funny if they meant "interlaced."

No, they are poorly upscaled versions of the videos from the original release of the game so every file is like 5 times the size but looks about the same so the game needs a (comparatively) huge amount of hd space

I like the game itself tho, and the fan service