Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Owlspiracy posted:

our country is literally founded on a group of people breaking unfair laws to create a more just society.

...the unfairness in particular that they seized on as a rationale being that the guy running the government was unilaterally doing his own thing. Also,

Declaration of Independence posted:

He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

I don't really think we should take their rationale at face value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Rust Martialis posted:

No, they're both poo poo. Partisans just think they'll be in the firing squad, not in front of it. History notwithstanding.

As people are so fond of saying both can be bad and one can still be worse.

(It's the right wing one.)

Raenir Salazar posted:

Untrue. No left wing authoritarian regime has proven itself better in the long run than a right wing regime; they're the same regime in the atrocities they commit.

Today I learned that Cuba is the same as Nazi Germany.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

AmiYumi posted:

Hello, poster who just became aware of US politics over these past four months! Interestingly enough, there’s some very recent history showing what happens when the half-assed plans you didn’t bother to create any sort of legal justification for get challenged in court, or come up for a politically-inconvenient vote!

Obviously DeJoy should be in prison, but I’d like him to remain there.

the key limit on trump's actions and his effectiveness was not the rule of law, it was his own incompetence. the traditional checks on the executive branch - congress and the judicial branch - no longer actually function as checks, both because congress is too "partisan" (in this environment nixon would not have been impeached) and divided, and because the judicial branch has been steadily weakened through, again, the appointment of extremely partisan judges. when trump's illegal executive orders were challenged and overturned it was generally on procedural grounds, not because of the fundamental illegality of his actions.

republicans conceptualize politics differently than most democrats, and most posters here. for them the rule of law is not important because politics is not a difference between two generally agreeable people; rather, politics is the expression of two diametrically opposed forces which seek to destroy one another. when you truly believe that democrats are out to destroy you and your way of life - and republicans in 2021 truly do believe this, and this is a big shift - then the rule of law ceases to matter because, as i said above, the ends justify the means, because it's literally life or death.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

a big part of why trump was successful is because his 1980s business approach to life - that its a zero sum, winner takes all competition - is the same frame through which many republicans view politics, and people like that. people didn't march on the capital because they were worried that biden would be too liberal for them, they marched because they legitimately believe that democrats are going to wipe them and their families out. we're playing chess where we're carefully measuring opinion polls and exploring legal remedies when half this country is ready to march the barricades to prevent the democratic abortion doctors from murdering their children.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

eviltastic posted:

...the unfairness in particular that they seized on as a rationale being that the guy running the government was unilaterally doing his own thing. Also,

does "excited domestic insurrections amongst us" mean the King didn't let slaveowners be as ruthless as they wanted to their slaves, cuz I'm not aware of any other domestic insurrections the planter class was afraid of

E: oh I looked it up, it means the English government offered freedom to slaves that helped them suppress colonial rebels in the South

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 23, 2021

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

VitalSigns posted:

does "excited domestic insurrections amongst us" mean the King didn't let slaveowners be as ruthless as they wanted to their slaves, cuz I'm not aware of any other domestic insurrections the planter class was afraid of

to be fair he also wouldn't let them kill enough indians and seize their land AND wanted the rich white landowners to pay too much in taxes. its good that the founding fathers had read enough david hume and enlightenment works to value individual liberty, but by no means was the fight for individual liberty (which the founding fathers themselves already had - remember, rich, white) the key motivation behind the revolution.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

VitalSigns posted:

I believe it's a reference to slave revolts, yes.

e: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunmore%27s_Proclamation

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 23, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Owlspiracy posted:

a big part of why trump was successful is because his 1980s business approach to life - that its a zero sum, winner takes all competition - is the same frame through which many republicans view politics, and people like that. people didn't march on the capital because they were worried that biden would be too liberal for them, they marched because they legitimately believe that democrats are going to wipe them and their families out. we're playing chess where we're carefully measuring opinion polls and exploring legal remedies when half this country is ready to march the barricades to prevent the democratic abortion doctors from murdering their children.

Umm...Trump's a one term president who managed to lose what should have been an easy re-election. Now, instead of having the full party behind him, he has part of it which will probably continue to shrink. On top of that, a lot (if not most) of his "accomplishments" in office are already overturned by Biden and/or the courts because he did them through EO and/or illegally. Not sure I'd consider that "successful".

Unless you mean of a legacy in terms of notoriety, then yea, I guess he's successful.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 23, 2021

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sedisp posted:

As people are so fond of saying both can be bad and one can still be worse.

As an amateur student of history, it's always struck me how much effort some people put into proving that Hitler was clearly worse then Stalin or Mao or vice versa. That one of them was "worse" by some criteria, than the others.

It's seems to me at least that genocides at sufficiently large scale simply cannot be meaningfully ranked. Mao, Stalin, and Hitler were all monsters. Likewise the Turks, the Hutus, Pol Pot, all down the list. The British in Bengal and Indian generally. The Spanish in the New World; the Americans and Canadians in turn.

They were all monsters. All terrible.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Kalit posted:

Umm...Trump's a one term president who managed to lose what should have been an easy re-election. Now, instead of having the full party behind him, he has part of it which will probably continue to shrink. On top of that, a lot (if not most) of his "accomplishments" in office are already overturned because he did them through EO. Not sure I'd consider that "successful".

Unless you mean in terms of notoriety, then yea, I guess he's successful.

trump came in as a complete political outsider with no experience and won a competitive primary and then a general election. and his particular brand of politics - which is essentially nothing but racism and grievance politics played out through culture war issues, with no attempt to provide a coherent ideology, plan of government, or even accomplish anything - still defines the 49% of elected officials who are republicans. we had this conversation yesterday about the republican stimulus proposal: people were concerned that the proposal would be competitive enough that it could pull democratic events, when that was never going to happen because the republican party (a group that is one dead democratic senator away from controlling one of the houses of congress) is not interested in governing. previous iterations of the republican party were interested in governing - even if they were consumed with racism and grievance politics, there were brief periods where they were capable of setting that aside and operating as a deliberative body whose goal was to pass legislation. that ended in 2016.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Rust Martialis posted:

As an amateur student of history, it's always struck me how much effort some people put into proving that Hitler was clearly worse then Stalin or Mao or vice versa. That one of them was "worse" by some criteria, than the others.

It's seems to me at least that genocides at sufficiently large scale simply cannot be meaningfully ranked. Mao, Stalin, and Hitler were all monsters. Likewise the Turks, the Hutus, Pol Pot, all down the list. The British in Bengal and Indian generally. The Spanish in the New World; the Americans and Canadians in turn.

They were all monsters. All terrible.

If only there were other authoritarian left wing countries other than Stalin. Maybe some that existed right now. Perhaps one that I specifically used in the same post. Ah well.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Sedisp posted:

If only there were other authoritarian left wing countries other than Stalin. Maybe some that existed right now. Perhaps one that I specifically used in the same post. Ah well.

Not a single one has been "good", it isn't just Stalin. Cuba, Venezuela, North Korea, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos; none of them have given evidence that its worth abandoning representative liberal democracy over.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Not a single one has been "good", it isn't just Stalin. Cuba, Venezuela, North Korea, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos; none of them have given evidence that its worth abandoning representative liberal democracy over.

Put that goalpost back.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Sedisp posted:

Put that goalpost back.

You didn't read the original conversation very well then.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I don't get this argument, right wing authoritarians have committed genocides. Left wing authoritarians have committed genocides. Liberal democracies have committed genocides. Many countries failed to live to their stated ideals.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
And your original point isn’t as clever as you think it is. Today I learned that Franco Spain is the same as Pol Pot Cambodia. Cherry-picking is fun!

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Raenir Salazar posted:

The US doesn't have a representative democracy.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Atrocity Olympics are loving dumb and tired, but even if they weren't, this isn't the thread for debating if Left-wing Authoritarian regimes are less bad than Right-wing ones.

They both suck. You do not under any circumstance need to hand it to them.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
e: Missed the IK message.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pontius Pilate posted:

And your original point isn’t as clever as you think it is. Today I learned that Franco Spain is the same as Pol Pot Cambodia. Cherry-picking is fun!

This is why I just look at them as incommensurate.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

eviltastic posted:

We should remember that the rhetorical purpose of the Declaration, and the list of indictments in particular, wasn't to establish a noble principal, but to get colonists angry enough to support revolution.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

My favorite part of the DoI is the line, (written by a slaveowner) trolling the King by blaming him for importing the colonists' slaves, was deleted after huge outcry by other slaveowners who couldn't abide the implication that slave trading is bad, even to troll and blame the enemy for it.

E: oh poo poo that passage is even funnier than I remember

quote:

He has waged cruel war against human nature itself, violating its most sacred rights of life and liberty in the persons of a distant people who never offended him, captivating & carrying them into slavery in another hemisphere or to incur miserable death in their transportation thither. This piratical warfare, the opprobrium of infidel powers, is the warfare of the Christian King of Great Britain. Determined to keep open a market where Men should be bought & sold, he has prostituted his negative for suppressing every legislative attempt to prohibit or restrain this execrable commerce. And that this assemblage of horrors might want no fact of distinguished die, he is now exciting those very people to rise in arms among us, and to purchase that liberty of which he has deprived them, by murdering the people on whom he has obtruded them: thus paying off former crimes committed again the Liberties of one people, with crimes which he urges them to commit against the lives of another.

"He kidnapped and murdered a bunch of people and reduced them to slavery and practically forced us to buy them with his irresistibly low prices...and even worse now he wants to make it up to them by freeing the slaves we paid good money for qq"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 23, 2021

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Owlspiracy posted:

trump came in as a complete political outsider with no experience
I know you’re probated and all but this is what I was talking about - Turnip launched repeated Presidential campaigns as a D, R, and most often 3rd party candidate, from the late 80s up to now. All of them (arguably including 2016*) were miserable failures, as he is and will always remain.

Beyond that, he did everything he could for decades to try and get politicians of all parties to pay attention to him! Starting a reply by describing the man as a “complete political outsider” is just declaring yourself to be as gullible as his voters.

*it’s not exactly a secret that “actually winning the election” was not his goal - look at any coverage of election night, and/or the hastily-scrapped plans for Trump TV

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

AmiYumi posted:

I know you’re probated and all but this is what I was talking about - Turnip launched repeated Presidential campaigns as a D, R, and most often 3rd party candidate, from the late 80s up to now. All of them (arguably including 2016*) were miserable failures, as he is and will always remain.

Beyond that, he did everything he could for decades to try and get politicians of all parties to pay attention to him! Starting a reply by describing the man as a “complete political outsider” is just declaring yourself to be as gullible as his voters.

*it’s not exactly a secret that “actually winning the election” was not his goal - look at any coverage of election night, and/or the hastily-scrapped plans for Trump TV

Absolutely this. Trump was a guy that had been heavily involved in politics and even more so in staying in the public eye for decades. At the time he declared he was more relevant in political circles than most of the sitting/former VPs that had run in recent decades. The fact that he did it all for idiot celebrity attention seeking and sold it as "not a politician" because he'd never actually held any office before doesn't change that. It just changes who his marks were.

Though while Trump wasn't an outsider to politics, he was an outsider to government. This was reflected in how he had no idea what to do with any of the machinery once he had his hands on it, how standards for corrupt behavior differ in the public and private sector, how the presidency differs from being a CEO, and how foreign relations differ from running a PR campaign. This led to fuckups all over the place that required but still couldn't be entirely mitigated by his whole party going balls to the wall to steer and protect him. But yeah, the "no experience" part was true and damaging and settled in pretty much from the moment he was sworn in.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

It's a smart move for the college kids to openly support Biden. Maybe now their polling places will be better staffed and their won't be 5 hour long lines again.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
To reiterate, I am solely commenting from my own perspective on things when I say it makes me a little sad about stuff like this. I didn't mean to start off a big old debate, again sorry!

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Bootleg Trunks posted:

It's a smart move for the college kids to openly support Biden. Maybe now their polling places will be better staffed and their won't be 5 hour long lines again.

What does that have to do with Biden?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Vorik posted:

What does that have to do with Biden?

He's going to bribe them by cancelling their debt

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

mobby_6kl posted:

:getin:

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

mobby_6kl posted:

He will not make that happen.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/joe-biden/i-will-not-make-happen-biden-declines-democrats-call-cancel-n1258069

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
So if we want Biden to fulfill campaign promises and roll back Trump's changes instead of embracing them, that's leftwing authoritarianism? Why would he need to break laws? Democrats told us for years how they were the only adults in the room and they would do right by Americans.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

You live in a representative liberal democracy in which armed agents of the state can and do execute residents on a whim in broad daylight with virtual impunity, and that has constructed the largest prison apparatus in human history

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i just wanted to boost this to the new page because its even more insane than i thought it would be.

I mean, he should be pretty happy that they put a rapist on Pirates of the Caribbean when they changed it. There's just no pleasing some people.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I think i posted about this earlier, but it looks like we're on the verge of a pogrom being carried out in jerusalem against palestinians

https://twitter.com/abierkhatib/status/1385313115114512394

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
please dial down the shitposting in this thread a bit

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
"Eye-popping" tax rates that are the same top rate as 1994, a corporate tax rate the same as it was in 2018, and a capital gains rate 3% higher than the rate in 1981.

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1385562848454082563

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 24, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I mean, he should be pretty happy that they put a rapist on Pirates of the Caribbean when they changed it. There's just no pleasing some people.

is he? i thought he was just an rear end in a top hat and they were both physically abusive toward each other and it was some gross hell marriage and he was always drunk.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Unless Caitlyn Jenner gets rid of the California 529A plan I just signed up for, I don't see much a reason to be concerned as a non-Californian on the east coast.

...(she wouldn't would she?)

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

"Eye-popping" tax rates that are the same top rate as 1994, a corporate tax rate the same as it was in 2018, and a capital gains rate 3% higher than the rate in 1981.

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1385562848454082563

Yup. I like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Sax Mortar posted:

Yup. I like this.

The framing that taking the top tax rate back to what it was under Bill Clinton and the corporate tax rate back to what it was in 2018 is "eye-popping" is bad.

The capital gains rate would actually be higher than it ever has been, but also only by about 4%.