Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will/did you start SaGa Frontier Remastered with?
Riki
Blue
Red
T260g
Emilia
Asellus
Lute
Fuse
View Results

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

No Wave posted:

Abyss Bat, Earth Dragon, and Gen's special sword are the things I immediately know of that have no connection to main quests.

As for areas, I can't think of any.

If Fuse's scenario counts, Earth Dragon is now a required boss for Fuse's Asellus case file I think. The other two, though, I can't think of any main quests they're a part of, yeah.

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Furdo's workshop is still optional for everyone, though Asellus has restored content there. That's kind of it- pretty much everything gets used for somebody at some point.

The mimic chests in Mu's Tomb aren't critical to anyone, I guess?

Oh right I always forget about Furdo's workshop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Harrow posted:

If Fuse's scenario counts, Earth Dragon is now a required boss for Fuse's Asellus case file I think. The other two, though, I can't think of any main quests they're a part of, yeah.

Oof. Harsh. What kind of dodge techs do you need to not get squashed in that fight? Dodge Earthquake, Dodge Gaze, Dodge that one LP-stealing attack?

edit: Looking at the tables linked above, it seems that you need Dodge Smash and Dodge Tremor to get through it. Still, Earth Dragon hits like a truck...

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 23, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Victory Position posted:

Oof. Harsh. What kind of dodge techs do you need to not get squashed in that fight? Dodge Earthquake, Dodge Gaze, Dodge that one LP-stealing attack?

edit: Looking at the tables linked above, it seems that you need Dodge Smash and Dodge Tremor to get through it. Still, Earth Dragon hits like a truck...

Yeah, I wouldn't want to do Asellus's Fuse scenario without NG+, that's for sure.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Harrow posted:

Earth Dragon

All the translation changes and they're still insisting that thing is a dragon eh?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blaise330 posted:

All the translation changes and they're still insisting that thing is a dragon eh?

In Breath of Fire IV, this is a dragon:

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 23, 2021

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Blaise330 posted:

Do you want to be the one to tell him he’s not??

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

There's a Saga Frontier music "virtual concert" starting right now at https://www.twitch.tv/squareenix

e: This is technically a third in a series of shows for the mobile game Re;Universe but since the SF1 remaster just came out they're focusing on that this time

Veib fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 23, 2021

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Snake Maze posted:

Do you want to be the one to tell him he’s not??

It's as much of a dragon as a hotdog is a sandwich

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
That's Emilia and Blue down. Now it's time to power through Riki's quest

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ace Transmuter posted:

That's Emilia and Blue down. Now it's time to power through Riki's quest

I never did Riki's quest back on the PS1 because I didn't like using monsters, so I decided to get it out of the way as my second scenario in the remaster. It's like 80% pretty fun and then the last 20% just feels downright spiteful, just in a pure gameplay design sense.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
It's funny how much people freak out about that riki combo score fight. Is it really THAT bad or is not being able to murder your way through it a turn off? It's like just telling you to demonstrate one of the game's mechanics a few times. Feels like a super late game tutorial if anything.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blaise330 posted:

It's funny how much people freak out about that riki combo score fight. Is it really THAT bad or is not being able to murder your way through it a turn off? It's like just telling you to demonstrate one of the game's mechanics a few times. Feels like a super late game tutorial if anything.

The combo fight is really rough if you're not prepared for it (or if you are prepared and didn't realize that combos you've already done don't count :v:) but very manageable if you know how to consistently combo. Or if you just look up easy combos and bring that with you. But the rest of Virgil's palace is just awful. The spike maze room where you have to follow the lady and the magma slimes were just infuriating.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I only did that fight once and I think my party happened to have a 5 combo I found by chance playing casual earlier and never forgot about, then I kinda bumbled my way through the rest of the points.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The mimic chests in Mu's Tomb aren't critical to anyone, I guess?

There's a very small chance the big mimic chest will be a Mec God which is nice for Mecs.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't want to do Asellus's Fuse scenario without NG+, that's for sure.

He does at least have really low hit points unless you imported NG+ battle rank, because I think it's the first fight you do in that scenario.

I finished all of Fuse's scenarios, I can't believe we got this game. Even if we weren't getting versions of the other games I would be happy, but man, I hope this does well and we get some nice enhancements for Frontier 2.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.
If they change anything about durability in Saga Frontier 2, I'd be pretty happy about it. But I'm not sure if that would ever actually happen.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

They probably won't, if only because changing the durability of items would mess with the chips system, and they're probably not making big sweeping changes to that either.

Personally, I never found the durability to be that much of an issue in the first place.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What's a giant squid doing in a basement?

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
The inventory limit starts being an issue in SF2 if you're a bit of a hoarder- which the game kind of encourages, due to needing a bunch of element/weapon combinations or redundant tools if you want to be able to cast all your equipped spells reliably while having the weapons you want. Things breaking regularly sort of keeps that under control. I'd rather they just increase the inventory limit instead, if not get rid of it entirely.

Question about SF1 remaster: does anyone know if you can get Final Crusade for Red in Fuse's case files? Does it carry over in NG+? I know Re Al-Phoenix Al-Phoenix X doesn't...

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Question about SF1 remaster: does anyone know if you can get Final Crusade for Red in Fuse's case files? Does it carry over in NG+? I know Re Al-Phoenix Al-Phoenix X doesn't...

Final Crusade does carryover to NG+. I don't know if Red can learn it in the case file, but I would think he does since I imagine it's part of the scripting of his fights and the scripting looks like it's intact.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Ace Transmuter's Suggested Monster Builds

It isn't easy to figure out how to build a monster. Usually, in any given run, as long as you follow the golden monster rule (Always Be Absorbing) and sticking with the moves you like, you'll probably find yourself bouncing back and forth between solid-to-great mid-game forms and a few extraordinary disappointments along the way (basically, anytime you absorb Death Synthesis).

You've heard that monsters suck, and that's not inaccurate. They can't pump out the kind of damage that Mecs and Humans can, and even though they have access to basically the entire Mystic moveset, they can't min/max their stats to the stratosphere. If you make damage your goal, you'll likely end up disappointed. So what to do, then? Easy

Make them support.

There are four healing/support techs that monsters should learn, including one that is (almost) entirely unique. They are also generally fairly easy to learn:
Da-Dum: Great party-wide damage buff
Assist: Another solid buff
Magical Heal: The best single target heal; it has priority in the turn order
Life Rain: Spend 1JP to heal the whole party. Only endgame Blue and hard-to-get Mystic have something similar.

The best way to learn these techs:
Da-Dum: ApeRiders, anything with "Rock" in the name. Not hard to get
Assist: Rare. Your best bet are Mellows, the low tier mermaids.
Magical Heal: Pretty common learn from a ton of common enemies. Spore Pile is your best bet.
Life Rain: You're only gonna get this from Unicorns. A pain to get, but worth it.

This leaves you four slots to choose a form. IME, your going to want to go with one of two choices:
Black Dragon
The consensus favorite and best stats you can get almost across the board. 8 LP is nothing to scoff at, but HP can be weirdly low. You need:
Fang: So many low level monsters give this.
Tail Sweep: Riki starts with it. Otherwise, go Triceratops hunting.
Stone Gas: The hardest. If you don't get it from the Black Dragon on Mosperiberg, you can spam Crystal Trees in the Biolab.

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord is a great alternative. It lags behind Blacj Dragon in most stats, except HP and a whopping 10 LP. That's a lot of healing. It's certainly easier to reach early, provided your base HP is high enough.
You'll need:
EITHER
Double Chop: Living Axes hand this out like candy
OR
Shockwave: Skeletons (either kind) are your best bet. Also Scorpions and Axebeaks.
AND
Thunderbolt: Genbu, Fishmen, Gremlins, Devil Squids

Ace Transmuter fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 24, 2021

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Lmfao, I forgot how short Lute's story was.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

He comes from the Lake. There's a convenient entrance in the room south of him.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ace Transmuter posted:

stuff about monsters

Monsters aren't even that horrible at damage in the context of a normal playthrough. Yeah they won't compete with 99 str super grinded DSC spam or overdrive Blue or whatever, but Shockwave is easy to get, cheap, extremely comboable, and does very reasonable damage with any approaching endgame form, and monsters have tons of great spammable AoEs like Maelstrom and Magnetic Storm. If you do bother to get any of the really annoying to get moves like Griffin Scratch or Titas Wave, they can generally punch up with most of the mystics just fine.

My general rules with monsters are mostly just to get Shockwave, MagicalHeal, and an aoe and then the rest of their skillset can be whatever skills are required to stabilize your preferred form + some support like Da-Dum.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 24, 2021

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Magnetic Storm is really good in T260G's scenario, since there's so many Mec enemies.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Victory Position posted:

Just go in with a lot of unblockable stuff and/or geared up mechs. T260G ad EngineerCar can easily (and very slowly) duo earth dragon if they're loaded up on gear via takanomics or a lot of exploring and looting.

Blaise330 posted:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Dragon_turtle :colbert:

Harrow posted:

The combo fight is really rough if you're not prepared for it (or if you are prepared and didn't realize that combos you've already done don't count :v:) but very manageable if you know how to consistently combo. Or if you just look up easy combos and bring that with you. But the rest of Virgil's palace is just awful. The spike maze room where you have to follow the lady and the magma slimes were just infuriating.

I forget to test it but I *think* the blood chalice accessory blocks the magma slime's bullshit. I just said gently caress it and had Riki use the invis ring and then a couple of people with big AOE skills went apeshit on the slimes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

I forget to test it but I *think* the blood chalice accessory blocks the magma slime's bullshit. I just said gently caress it and had Riki use the invis ring and then a couple of people with big AOE skills went apeshit on the slimes.

I tested it and the Blood Chalice can't save you, sadly.

It took me a few tries but the Thieves Ring is definitely key there. Even if you can wipe all the slimes every round (you better be able to do this or you're gonna have a bad time) the pressure is still so high you have to eventually remove Riki as a target.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Victory Position posted:

Jet Boots also get around earthquake/tremor based attacks, so that's one less evade you have to worry about trying to glimmer.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Gonna take a break from SaGa Frontier to play some Nier.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Everyone always wants to know what the giant squid's doing in that basement. Nobody ever wants to know how the giant squid's doing in that basement. :smith:

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.

W.T. Fits posted:

Everyone always wants to know what the giant squid's doing in that basement. Nobody ever wants to know how the giant squid's doing in that basement. :smith:

Not paying rent, but generally having an okay time otherwise.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
watching idiots try and grab the trapped treasure and having a sensible chuckle.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

the giant squid is now in white rose's mystic glove so the kindest arch princess can go on a tiger rampage

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Harrow posted:

I tested it and the Blood Chalice can't save you, sadly.

It took me a few tries but the Thieves Ring is definitely key there. Even if you can wipe all the slimes every round (you better be able to do this or you're gonna have a bad time) the pressure is still so high you have to eventually remove Riki as a target.

That fight was the only one I used the party switching stuff for, I just threw all my good people with AoEs in the second party (since you can't take Riki out of the first) and had them fight it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
How do you decide which characters should pursue which skill types? Should everyone aim for a mastery or is there value in splitting some characters between physical and magic?

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Any tips for defeating the Big Diggers in Tataros? They can kill any of my characters in one hit and seem to have insanely high HP.

Alternatively, can I avoid them and come back to kill them later?

I'm T260G using the other three mechs and Gen.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

How do you decide which characters should pursue which skill types? Should everyone aim for a mastery or is there value in splitting some characters between physical and magic?

Mastery is helpful for learning new skills but the WP/JP savings are less critical in the late game. It can be really useful to have a couple spells on physical attackers (Mind and Rune magic can be especially useful) and guns share a lot of stats with magic.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

W.T. Fits posted:

Because it's in my drat way and kills my team with Maelstrom.

Also. On T260's question, just got the fortitude rune Then I went to Luminous. I talk to Rouge and he just vanished. And now I have a slime in my party. Do I have the slime because of the Rune quest or did something weird happen to Rouge? Is there anything special about the slime or should I stick with Cotton?

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

ChrisBTY posted:

Also. On T260's question, just got the fortitude rune Then I went to Luminous. I talk to Rouge and he just vanished. And now I have a slime in my party. Do I have the slime because of the Rune quest or did something weird happen to Rouge? Is there anything special about the slime or should I stick with Cotton?

You got Slime from Tanzer, and T260 can't learn magic making her useless to Rouge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

Rouge won't join T260, so that's not actually an oddity.
Yeah, when you did the vitality rune there was a slime that joins the party after you get it. In terms of being special? There isn't anything really standout about the slime so feel free to stick with just Cotton monster wise.