Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I have a pc that is linked by ethernet. I want to create a wireless hotspot for a phone that I will use very close to the pc. What exactly do I need and can I get it cheaply?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Jippa posted:

I have a pc that is linked by ethernet. I want to create a wireless hotspot for a phone that I will use very close to the pc. What exactly do I need and can I get it cheaply?

A Google Nest or any other simple wifi router can do this for cheap, it's pretty similar to what I've done before in our living room. Just get another ethernet cable and plug your source line into the wifi point and the other cable into your PC.

change my name fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 22, 2021

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I get to do an identical pc build this weekend to the one I posted recently, my buddy bought the exact same items I just did and wants me to build it. Going to see if I can speed run the process, get windows up and running in an hour if possible.

those little bitty screws that hold down the m.2 drive are so drat fiddly, esp with a heat sync on there.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07489XSJP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_7K7VME51R67ZZWW2N8BX

I'm thinking of getting that for my recently built RyZ3n 5600x system. I'm currently using my old AMD RADEON HD 7950 3GB Boost, but the fans go nuts sometimes even without any GPU activity on the system, and it doesn't support GOP firmware, so system startup is delayed by its legacy firmware.

I don't really PC game right now since I have an Xbox Series X, but in future I'd intend on putting a better GPU in it.

At the moment though I just need the system for web browsing, office work, general faffing about. Would that GPU support that GOP thing and allow faster boot and give me reasonable performance for the spec?

How’s the cooling in the rest of the system?

That card will work, but I’m personally not a fan of buying step up components when you already have something. If the cooling in your system otherwise is good, and you don’t really care about your current card, I’d probably set the fans on it on a big delay and at minimum speed and let it cook a little.

You could also get aggressive cleaning the dust, and repaste it if you feel comfortable.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

change my name posted:

A Google Nest or any other simple wifi router can do this for cheap, it's pretty similar to what I've done before in our living room. Just get another ethernet cable and plug your source line into the wifi point and the other cable into your PC.

Thanks.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

pseudonordic posted:

We have faculty and GAs running SPSS analyses on systems like this that still get the job done:

https://www.newegg.com/dell-optiplex-9020-business-desktops-workstations/p/1VK-0001-5HFA9

Unless they’re running enormous datasets, something like that will likely do the job. Plus it’s cheap enough to buy a spare!

Thanks a ton for the link! I think this is the route they'll go, plus a couple of monitors and HDMI-to-DisplayPort cables

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

How’s the cooling in the rest of the system?

That card will work, but I’m personally not a fan of buying step up components when you already have something. If the cooling in your system otherwise is good, and you don’t really care about your current card, I’d probably set the fans on it on a big delay and at minimum speed and let it cook a little.

You could also get aggressive cleaning the dust, and repaste it if you feel comfortable.

Rest of the system is fine, and I've already cleaned dust out. I just don't want to end up without a working GPU in a few months and I thought that GPU would suffice until this situation gets unfucked.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Any issues picking random fan splitters? I assume they're all the same but what do I know.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($389.99 @ MemoryC)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($102.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($115.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $748.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-22 17:20 EDT-0400

Planning on upgrading my PC, reusing my old corsair 650W Powersupply and my GTX 1060 and old SSDs. Anything look off or is there a better case or mobo to get?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
How old is your PS? I’ve lost files before to component failure (had backups, nbd) but a bad PSU can (rarely) burn out something expensive.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I've been looking at Origin PC for a pre-built machine just to actually get something in hand. Took a look at Alienware/Dell today, and they seem significantly cheaper, but its hard to tell. Do they build in normal PC cases or are the only desktop options these weird PS5 looking things that seem like they would be airflow nightmare?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Dell suck poo poo, both value and customer service wise. ibuypower and cyberpower have decent value prebuilts in the US iirc. Origin are decent quality but very expensive for what you get.

Edit: quoting my post with the chart from the last time Linus did a secret shopper video on this:

Butterfly Valley posted:

Here's the relevant chart showing what each config had. None of them were perfect across the board but the HP and iBuyPower were the best performing for the price followed up by the CyberPower. They all had some drawbacks though, like the single stick of RAM in the HP or the 120mm AIO in the iBuyPower. They also varied wildly on things not measured on this chart, like the helpfulness of the sales and tech support staff. Dell were utterly dogshit in that respect.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 22, 2021

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

DerekSmartymans posted:

How old is your PS? I’ve lost files before to component failure (had backups, nbd) but a bad PSU can (rarely) burn out something expensive.

Uh, I think around 5 years old, I got it when I bought my GTX 1060

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Hey Folks,

I'm looking to replace my 6ish year old desktop that's starting to run at a crawl on a lot of things, and hoping that whatever I get next can still be suitable for gaming for a few years. I don't do a ton of gaming on the PC nowadays, but I do have a backlog of Steam games as well as an Xbox Game Pass Ultimate that I've mostly been using with my tablet via xCloud streaming (I don't have an xbox).

As you can tell from my needs, I'm probably not in the market for a super high end gaming desktop, but I'd like something with a little more horsepower than a typical business desktop in case something new comes along and I definitely want to play on PC.

Taking some of the thread's advice, I've customized some of the default options from the "modest AMD gaming build" on parts picker:
Guide Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/mM7Ycf/modest-amd-gaming-build
My Picks: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DqP4Vc

The two big questions are:
1) Are there any reasonable places to cut some price corners? I chose a slightly more expensive power supply, case, and SSD than the guide had on its parametric search based on some suggestions in the thread as well as from a friend.

2) I can't even when it comes to GPUs, and it sounds like most others can't either. I have an old MSI GeForce GTX 970 SUPER 4G that I could probably make do with for a while, but since prices and supplies seem to be turbofucked on graphics cards, I have no clue what exactly a "price point" even appears to be. I have a monoprice 4k monitor that's really only 60hz in 1440p, if that helps as well.

For reference, this is what my old system is (for the most part):
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jcWRP6
I think the only swap is that I got the MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G instead of the one listed.

Alucard fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 23, 2021

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

RVT posted:

I've been looking at Origin PC for a pre-built machine just to actually get something in hand. Took a look at Alienware/Dell today, and they seem significantly cheaper, but its hard to tell. Do they build in normal PC cases or are the only desktop options these weird PS5 looking things that seem like they would be airflow nightmare?

If you're near a Micro Center, their PowerSpec brand pre-builts are a good value, especially if you can find them on sale.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Butterfly Valley posted:

Dell suck poo poo, both value and customer service wise. ibuypower and cyberpower have decent value prebuilts in the US iirc. Origin are decent quality but very expensive for what you get.

Edit: quoting my post with the chart from the last time Linus did a secret shopper video on this:

Cyberpower and ibuypower both use regular off the shelf parts instead of OEM stuff, which can make a big difference when it’s time to upgrade and was a big reason I dropped my HP Omen for a custom build when the 3000 series cards dropped. The Omen had a cramped case that couldn’t take most 3080’s and the motherboard had only one M2 slot and minimal SATA slots (2, IIRC). It was a good value for what I got (1200 for a computer with a 2070S and i7-9700) but limited potential.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Uhh hi guys, i'm new around these parts. I was wondering if I might get some suggestions for a new PC, possibly. See, I don't know if I should just upgrade what I have or get a new PC altogether.

Now that I look, I'm actually in a similar boat with Alucard over there maybe? Either way I want a PC that will last a while, with a focus on gaming. My current PC can actually handle most games i've ever played, where it hiccups is when there's a lot of stuff happening. Two of my favorite games, Total War: Warhammer and Mount and Blade: Bannerlord, get pretty bad when unit numbers get high enough. I'm not even expecting to MAX things out here, i'm no "pro" who puts an uncomfortable amount of importance on 60fps, I don't give a poo poo about RTX, etc.

Current build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Neuronyx87/saved/hvdz6h I don't even know if this'll work, sorry, i'm new at this. I also don't know what my power supply is at all.

I was probably going to just upgrade my gpu, to be honest. But I started considering upgrading/replacing when I just kept hearing Ryzen this, Ryzen that. So I figured maybe I oughta replace my mobo too, because I guess motherboards can only take either AMD or Intel and my current board has an Intel cpu. So now this has all lead to... a new cpu, gpu, and motherboard, so I assumed at this point I should get a new PC altogether. I don't know, some more informed opinions would be appreciated. I'm not sure I need a new HDD though, I wanted to use my current ones ( that's assuming HDDs are something that's compatible with most boards? ) but an SDD wouldn't hurt, especially if I'm focusing on gaming anyway.

Oh, monitors are 1980x1080, 60hz.

E: Okay I have no loving clue how to do something as simple as linking a god drat list, can someone please tell me how?

Neuronyx fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Apr 23, 2021

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Neuronyx posted:

I'm not sure I need a new HDD though, I wanted to use my current ones ( that's assuming HDDs are something that's compatible with most boards? ) but an SDD wouldn't hurt, especially if I'm focusing on gaming anyway.

Your link doesn't work so I can't comment on your parts but I just wanted to say an SSD is probably the single biggest quality of life improvement you can make. Not just in games but in everyday usage. Any new PC build should include an SSD as the main drive.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Ebola Dog posted:

Your link doesn't work so I can't comment on your parts but I just wanted to say an SSD is probably the single biggest quality of life improvement you can make. Not just in games but in everyday usage. Any new PC build should include an SSD as the main drive.

Well hot drat, I'll go for it then.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Neuronyx posted:

E: Okay I have no loving clue how to do something as simple as linking a god drat list, can someone please tell me how?

It's a common problem. Go onto your saved parts list, edit the details, and uncheck 'private'. If you want decent recommendations then we need to see what you're currently working with. That said, you're probably going to be in full rebuild territory, and then you'll be up against the same problem everyone else has with mid range GPU availability.

FWIW 60fps is like the bare minimum of expectations these days, pro gamers are playing on anything up to 360hz monitors.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

RVT posted:

I don't remember about the cases, but I think the Dell system that LinusTechTips got for their last secret shopper video had a 12 volt only power supply and proprietary motherboard, so if you ever need to replace PSU or motherboard in that system for a standard one you might have to swap out the other one, too, just to make them work. Just something to keep in mind.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Butterfly Valley posted:

It's a common problem. Go onto your saved parts list, edit the details, and uncheck 'private'. If you want decent recommendations then we need to see what you're currently working with. That said, you're probably going to be in full rebuild territory, and then you'll be up against the same problem everyone else has with mid range GPU availability.

FWIW 60fps is like the bare minimum of expectations these days, pro gamers are playing on anything up to 360hz monitors.

Thanks so much, hope this works. https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Neuronyx87/saved/hvdz6h

Did you say loving 360? :eyepop: Also why is availability an issue?

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
360 is a pro gamer and people with more money than sense outlier, most people playing games as a hobby normally go for a refresh rate of 100-144. Like everything, once you get to a certain level diminishing returns kicks in and you're spending more than you need to today on something that will be commonplace in 3-4 years

That being said there was a release of new AMD and Nvidia graphics cards at the end of last year, Nvidia 3070s are rare as hen's teeth, 3080s are even harder to come by and I've not seen a single person with an AMD 6000 series graphics card outside of reviewers. Part of the reason is lockdown causing everyone to decide to upgrade around the same time and wait to coincide with the new gpu releases, and partly because of the insane cryptocurrency mining arms race hotting up again

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
So I've been looking at articles about GPUs and I think I'm going to try and snag a NVidia GTX 3060 Ti card. Aside from just praying for a drop at retail instead of dealing with scalpers, any major issues with this path? I'm hoping to get close to retail and I'm not in a rush.

Alucard fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 24, 2021

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Besides the fact that it'll be a year or so before you get one?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I need a case suggestion or two.

Requirements:
Fits a full size GPU. I will be using a 970 for now but will be upgrading. ATX mb.

Quiet, no lights, preferably no glass case something I bought does have lights.

Good cooling, easy to build in.

Not exclusive through Newegg. I cannot order through them, period. Last suggestion was a Meshify 2 compact which nobody else stocks and the order has been voided twice.

Trying to keep it under $120 if possible, I have everything else but it's been a decade since I've built and I don't know what does or doesn't suck.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Shooting Blanks posted:

I need a case suggestion or two.

Requirements:
Fits a full size GPU. I will be using a 970 for now but will be upgrading. ATX mb.

Quiet, no lights, preferably no glass case something I bought does have lights.

Good cooling, easy to build in.

Not exclusive through Newegg. I cannot order through them, period. Last suggestion was a Meshify 2 compact which nobody else stocks and the order has been voided twice.

Trying to keep it under $120 if possible, I have everything else but it's been a decade since I've built and I don't know what does or doesn't suck.

Well, given the constraints, Here's a list of cases that fit exactly what you described. Out of that list, the Corsair 200R seems to be the most popular one, despite apparently being from 2012?

I'd recommend the Cougar MX330-G, as I've got that one and it seems very adequate for the job, but it's got a window on the left side. Though, I guess you could always take some black spray paint to the inside of the glass if you can't stand to see inside?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I have a cooler master TD500 and basically the only box it didn’t check is the no glass one. Easy to build in, my thermals and noise are stupid good and it’ll fit anything thought the Arctic freezer coolers are too thick for some motherboards. It was like a hundo after tax on amazon.

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
Finally got my 5900x tonight.

The Micro Center in St. Louis(Brentwood) has 10+ AMD 5900x's left in stock. They will probably be gone sometime tomorrow.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

neogeo0823 posted:

I'd recommend the Cougar MX330-G, as I've got that one and it seems very adequate for the job, but it's got a window on the left side. Though, I guess you could always take some black spray paint to the inside of the glass if you can't stand to see inside?

The Cougar MX330-X has all metal sidepanels.

The whole MX330 lineup actually seems like a great value. My last build used the -G.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Anything obviously wrong with this build? I'm replacing an aging desktop. I do most of my gaming on PC, but these days it's mostly indie stuff and emulators.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($254.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($141.90 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($119.75 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($124.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.50 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Total: $836.11
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-24 11:14 EDT-0400

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Is MSI any good? Not doubting them, just... I always hear 'AMD and Nvidia' over and over again and assumed those were the brands to always go with. Does that mean any other brand is lacking in comparison?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Neuronyx posted:

Is MSI any good? Not doubting them, just... I always hear 'AMD and Nvidia' over and over again and assumed those were the brands to always go with. Does that mean any other brand is lacking in comparison?

In what sense? If you're talking about GPU's specifically MSI are the ones who actually make the cards that use AMD and Nvidia's chips and are generally considered one of the top options.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

njsykora posted:

In what sense? If you're talking about GPU's specifically MSI are the ones who actually make the cards that use AMD and Nvidia's chips and are generally considered one of the top options.

Yeah forgive me i'm just not really in the loop here. I didn't know MSI was AMD because I've got the dumb.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

NVIDIA (and AMD) make semiconductor microchips

MSI assembles those chips (among other things) into a graphics card that you can purchase

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

DNK posted:

a graphics card that you can purchase

lol

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Lmao I just looked on Amazon for graphics cards. What the gently caress.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

DNK posted:

Lmao I just looked on Amazon for graphics cards. What the gently caress.

Yeah, exactly. I was super loving lucky that a goon friend had a Geforce GTX 980Ti hybrid literally just sitting around collecting dust that they were willing to sell me for cheap when my previous GPU shat the bed. You literally cannot find GPUS these days due to various pressures from Covid, the trade war we started with China, and various crypto mining assholes buying up the entire trickle of stock that comes over. I heard recently that crypto mining as a whole is now using more energy than a good number of separate countries. And of course, you've got scalpers buying up what they can and reselling for 3-5 times the price.

I guess all that amounts to good luck buying something that'll now cost you as much as the rest of the computer.

If it makes you feel better, you can still get CPUs with some regularity. I was able to buy a Ryzen 5 3600 by just checking various sites off and on and happened to get in on a stock bump before those all got bought up.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

What the gently caress is this crypto bullshit still doing around? I hear it's a dead fad but uhh guess it's not that dead if it's still up and running. God drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Neuronyx posted:

What the gently caress is this crypto bullshit still doing around? I hear it's a dead fad but uhh guess it's not that dead if it's still up and running. God drat it.
It's the very opposite of dead right now, unfortunately