Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Saoshyant posted:

That's who owns IGN: J2 Global.

Yeah I was still under the impression that Newscorp owned IGN, didn't realize they were sold off to a smaller fish when Murdoch when all in on selling off everything that wasn't conducive to being a white nationalist propaganda outlet

https://thenextweb.com/news/j2-global-acquires-ign-entertainment-from-news-corporation-doubling-its-digital-media-empire/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So with the new vermintide game mode, do your previous levels/equipment matter at all or is everyone starting with the samr stuff every run

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
The character levels matter, since you bring your talents with you. You start with the weapon types you have equipped but of generic quality, so rare gear isn't a factor.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'm a sick so hopefully this comes together; TLDR The newest Romance of the Three Kingdoms is Okay but Way Overpriced, and has DLC for things that shouldn't be DLC, basically.

The game is WEGO style where you set up your orders and then hit 'Go' and things play out over an amount of time. This is actually pretty interesting and if you can anticipate what you opponent is going to do you can beat them in a really satisfying way, but it can feel unfair when you're on the wrong foot. Like, if you've got an army securing territory near another faction, and they send an army to attack it, your army will still stick to doing the last things you ordered it to do with an army closing in until the next turn. Which makes sense but is frustrating.

You set formations, troop amounts and which tactics to use for your armies in addition to certain broad automatic settings (Attack nearby enemies automatically, Retreat when in trouble, etc) . And then various orders for taking areas and attacking cities and armies. And then your dudes go out and try to execute those orders. You can also construct buildings on the map, which the AI is at least somewhat competent in since Dong Zhuo gave me a lot of trouble in a recent match by building walls around an arrow tower and seriously blunting one of my campaigns against him.

Territory control is somewhat interesting. The big cities are where you recruit and train armies and the smaller towns around them supply gold food and manpower. The map is composed of hexes that dictate how much of a town or cities income you actually get, they can be claimed by an army or passively by assigning an administrator to the location. So you can claim a city and it's surrounding towns, but without sufficient officers to claim the land around them you won't be able to extract much worth from it for a long time. You can also send raiding armies to chip away at an enemies holdings. It's an interesting way of simulating consolidating territory, and giving a sense of repairing the damage from a successful defense or a mop-up from a victorious attack. Aside from this though territory management is actually pretty simplistic: gain control of the whole territory, assign someone to manage it for some boosts based off their stats, and also to eventually level up the gold/food/manpower rates

The editing tools you can go pretty hog wild with, there's lots of options for making your own officers and you can sprinkle them into the game or set them up as their own factions, move factions around, etc. You can also edit cgs and triggered events as well. At any point in an actual game you can switch to edit mode and gently caress around with the settings

The DLC is where things get really lovely, these dudes would make a groggamer blush. If you want to be able to edit an existing officers stats (Guan Yu for example) you need to pay 4.50. Another 4.50 if you want to edit the BGM, and by edit BGM I mean edit what music plays when not some music creator. And on and on

(There is free Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Cute Girls I Don't Recognize DLC at least)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
it's cool i can't even access my offline games because the steam login servers down

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

The Chad Jihad posted:

I'm a sick so hopefully this comes together; TLDR The newest Romance of the Three Kingdoms is Okay but Way Overpriced, and has DLC for things that shouldn't be DLC, basically.

The game is WEGO style where you set up your orders and then hit 'Go' and things play out over an amount of time. This is actually pretty interesting and if you can anticipate what you opponent is going to do you can beat them in a really satisfying way, but it can feel unfair when you're on the wrong foot. Like, if you've got an army securing territory near another faction, and they send an army to attack it, your army will still stick to doing the last things you ordered it to do with an army closing in until the next turn. Which makes sense but is frustrating.

You set formations, troop amounts and which tactics to use for your armies in addition to certain broad automatic settings (Attack nearby enemies automatically, Retreat when in trouble, etc) . And then various orders for taking areas and attacking cities and armies. And then your dudes go out and try to execute those orders. You can also construct buildings on the map, which the AI is at least somewhat competent in since Dong Zhuo gave me a lot of trouble in a recent match by building walls around an arrow tower and seriously blunting one of my campaigns against him.

Territory control is somewhat interesting. The big cities are where you recruit and train armies and the smaller towns around them supply gold food and manpower. The map is composed of hexes that dictate how much of a town or cities income you actually get, they can be claimed by an army or passively by assigning an administrator to the location. So you can claim a city and it's surrounding towns, but without sufficient officers to claim the land around them you won't be able to extract much worth from it for a long time. You can also send raiding armies to chip away at an enemies holdings. It's an interesting way of simulating consolidating territory, and giving a sense of repairing the damage from a successful defense or a mop-up from a victorious attack. Aside from this though territory management is actually pretty simplistic: gain control of the whole territory, assign someone to manage it for some boosts based off their stats, and also to eventually level up the gold/food/manpower rates

The editing tools you can go pretty hog wild with, there's lots of options for making your own officers and you can sprinkle them into the game or set them up as their own factions, move factions around, etc. You can also edit cgs and triggered events as well. At any point in an actual game you can switch to edit mode and gently caress around with the settings

The DLC is where things get really lovely, these dudes would make a groggamer blush. If you want to be able to edit an existing officers stats (Guan Yu for example) you need to pay 4.50. Another 4.50 if you want to edit the BGM, and by edit BGM I mean edit what music plays when not some music creator. And on and on

(There is free Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Cute Girls I Don't Recognize DLC at least)

Nice, thanks for the write-up. I think I'm going to try XIII since it's cheaper.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Saoshyant gifted me a copy of Yoku's Island Express and I just busted out a quick couple of hours to give it a test run.

It's one of those side-scrolling map discovery games like Rayman, but a lot more laid back. The big gimmick is that it plays a lot like a pinball game for large sections, as you play a dung beetle and the ball you roll around is really what you control. You need to collect fruit to open up new areas, so there can be a bit of a grind in sections to build up your reserves so you can progress, but it hasn't been too bad this early in.

It looks very much like I'll be unlocking abilities as it goes so I can get access to other sections. I'm never a fan of having to backtrack to old areas over and over, and some parts of the map require to to pinball your way up towers and that can get annoying. We'll see how that goes as I get further into the game, but the map looks to be pretty huge and I hope I don't have to hoof it from one side to the other.

Overall I'm enjoying it as it's pretty peaceful with relaxing music and cute characters. Liking pinball helps, but it's not exactly a pinball sim so the mechanics there are pretty light. You can activate bumpers that push the ball around, and suck up things that let you blast through to new areas. There are the usual tricky shots and hidden parts that reward the keen-eyed and skilled. So yeah, certainly worth a look!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
How's Bannerlord a year after release? I'm mainly interested in the single player stuff. Loved Warband and its mods.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Remember how Control was in a Humble Monthly a couple of months ago and it was the version without the DLC that previously didn't exist on Steam but they put on Steam just for that?
Well it's gone now
https://store.steampowered.com/app/870780/Control_Ultimate_Edition/
and the DLC aren't for sale anymore:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1538741/Control__AWE/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1538740/Control__The_Foundation/

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

TOOT BOOT posted:

Humble bundles generally aren't that great now anyway. The first couple they did were insanely good value.

This goon speaks the truth. Other person who said Fanatical is decent is also correct...currently can get a bundle with Icewind Dale: EE cheaper than what it's been on sale for during summer/winter sales. I think long gone are the days of bitchin bundles for $5 or $10, unfortunately.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I'm kind of 1/2 and 1/2 on Fanatical, I have gotten some good deals there.
But their mystery keys are nothing more than loot crates in a key form.
Maybe I've just bought one too many and never got anything but pure trash games that I would think twice about buying if it was in a bundle.
Also they have recently been bought out by what used to be Wikia but is now Fandom.

But sadly at this point, I can't think of any places other than Steam, Humble or Fanatical where I would go to buy games.

e: I have also found that a lot of games that I look up on isthereanydeal are being removed from Fanatical.
For instance recently I looked up Osiris New Dawn and its just been removed.
A bunch of games I have come across listed there as having the lowest price from Fanatical dont seem to be available there any more.

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/osirisnewdawn/info/

OgNar fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 24, 2021

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

HopperUK posted:

New Lego Humble Bundle!

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/lego-built-to-bundle

This includes DC Super Villains which I absolutely love. The Justice League are abducted and replaced by evil versions from another world! Only a character you create yourself, and the DC universe's most badly-behaved supervillains, can fix the situation so everyone can get back to their usual routines.

I made the BLU Medic for my player character and it was hilarious. Though my favourite thing to do is head into the open world and play Reverse Flash Fucks Up Gotham City simulator.

Drama!

Amusing self with custom characters!

A scene where every time the camera changed angle, the Reverse Flash zipped over to make sure he was still in frame!

Cool, I've been waiting for DC Super Villains to be cheap and it comes with a bunch of other stuff too.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009

The Chad Jihad posted:

For someone who loved #11 (despite the PUK never coming to PC in english), is #14 worth it?

In #11 there was kind of a cap on how much stuff you could control directly of about 5 cities due to the action point system, but you could manually do everything from building markets (simplistically trying to get adjacency bonuses) to fighting battles (on the overworld, making passes and rivers actually matter) and the spells commanders could get + environmental interactions like bursting dams/pushing boulders down cliffs/burning trees made a huge difference. Hell, I even liked setting up caravans of spare food/money/weapons/troops to support my armies.

#13 had huge problems for me because the battles were awful to control and dull (same with Sphere of Influence/Nobu 12(?)) even if you forgive them looking like a PS1 game. The individual character stuff was alright but quickly got repetetive, and the best way to play was basically to have a single city under another lord and refuse all promotions - above and below that you had less to do and less control over your personal forces. Despite it being a major selling point, playing as a wanderer/'hero' wasn't all that great either.

I loosely know a lot of people felt burned on #14 because they heard the Fire Emblem Three Houses team were involved and it plays very differently to that, but if it's basically #11 but wego I'd be all over that poo poo.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

quote:

Grandma now pays less if you have a prison tattoo
Increased tolerance of grandma not hitting the car soon after getting out
Hitting and knocking down a NPC is now considered attempted manslaughter

What is My Summer Car?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I've been playing War for the Overworld lately, as I wait for Evil Genius 2 to be patched (they're working on a big one now) and...whoa. This is actually pretty drat good? I last played it years ago, did the first 2-3 levels and was bored. This time I redid those levels and pressed on, and as soon as I unlocked beasts and began to get more fun levels (fighting the dwarves!) it's really clicking for me! Managing keeping all of my minions happy while working out when to assault the enemy and where to put traps and such is just satisfying. The game has become my evening treat, where I settle down to do a level and I sink a good 20-40 minutes into it and that's just perfect for me. I'm glad I decided to give it another chance.

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011

Hollandia posted:

Is there anything with the HOMM style overworld / city building, but combat that isn't turn-based?

The Kohan series, maaaybe? It's definitely worth checking out. There truly isn't much out there along that line...

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I started playing Battletech twice since it came out. Does every mission do a thing where you think it's over but then five more guys appear to fight you or is that just how the first couple shake out?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Karma Tornado posted:

I started playing Battletech twice since it came out. Does every mission do a thing where you think it's over but then five more guys appear to fight you or is that just how the first couple shake out?

It ain't rare.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Digital Jedi posted:

Thanks for the recommendation on They Are Billions. Main campaign is not what I wanted but seems some of the custom maps for survival mode are as closer. So far it's pretty fun. Units get stuck fairly often and you can't rotate the camera are my only small not picks so far.

Oh sorry, I should have mentioned the campaign sucking, but I forget it exists. Survival mode is where it's at, you just have to ignore the "sexy" ranger unit who implies you're loving.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Karma Tornado posted:

HBS Battletech's balance is almost entirely based around the player being outnumbered, yeah. Getting jumped by a whole other lance should only be a thing on mid difficulty contracts when you have the gear to handle that though.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
In fairness, the enemy mechs often suck - being stock and mostly only carrying 25-75% of the armour they could have.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I could buy it in Shadowrun; there could conceivably be like four more guys with hand grenades and some kind of shaman that can summon an air conditioner spirit or whatever in the next room. I can't see in there. There's a door. But the like third time it turned out there were some more forty ton walking tanks just slightly outside my line of sight or happening to arrive on a large spacecraft it was like, who is doing recon here. who was on big robot lookout duty.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Remember how Control was in a Humble Monthly a couple of months ago and it was the version without the DLC that previously didn't exist on Steam but they put on Steam just for that?
Well it's gone now

Control the game was fantastic but the publisher is fishy as hell.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I wanted to like Battletech but came out disappointed with it (I played it on release, maybe it got better?). All I got out of the experience was a strong desire to replay Mechcommander Gold, which I did. That game owns so much.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ZearothK posted:

I wanted to like Battletech but came out disappointed with it (I played it on release, maybe it got better?). All I got out of the experience was a strong desire to replay Mechcommander Gold, which I did. That game owns so much.

I spent years trying to get past MechCommander 2’s broken copy protection. Totally worth all the effort.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Well it's gone now

Hey it looks like the season pass is available on sale on humble right now and it looks like you can get it for steam or epic, if you really want it maybe grab it before this is gone too https://www.humblebundle.com/store/control-season-pass

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

ZearothK posted:

The website to download this is long dead.

But then there is always archive.org

e:hmm, that link may be considered warez, nevertheless i looked up mechcommander.org on archive.
As far as I can tell its unbuyable elsewhere.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 24, 2021

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I had hankering to play Warcraft 3 again and i swear i bought the classic version from battlenet. However all it's got now is links to the new version. Have they delisted it or something else hosed up because, like i said, i'm sure i bought it from them.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Kin posted:

I had hankering to play Warcraft 3 again and i swear i bought the classic version from battlenet. However all it's got now is links to the new version. Have they delisted it or something else hosed up because, like i said, i'm sure i bought it from them.

Yeah, they replaced the old version with the new one basically.

AFAIK, that's despite the remake missing several features.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Kin posted:

All copies of Warcraft 3 were updated to the Reforged version. The old version is gone unless you have a disc copy and never go online with it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Well that explains what's going on then. I hit google up for warcraft 3 classic downloads and found a link on blizzards site for the installer for it. Now it's doing the 26GB download.

Strange thing is that i couldn't actually see a way to download the game within the battlenet client. It just gave me the option to buy reforged.

However, running this classic installer file is now downloading the game in the battlenet app.

Is that another cheeky thing they've done to trick folk into buying the Reforged version?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Kin posted:

Well that explains what's going on then. I hit google up for warcraft 3 classic downloads and found a link on blizzards site for the installer for it. Now it's doing the 26GB download.

Strange thing is that i couldn't actually see a way to download the game within the battlenet client. It just gave me the option to buy reforged.

However, running this classic installer file is now downloading the game in the battlenet app.

Is that another cheeky thing they've done to trick folk into buying the Reforged version?

You're probably downloading reforged, games weren't 26GB in 2003.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

You're probably downloading reforged, games weren't 26GB in 2003.

Warcraft 3 was 800 mb. I remember this being huge to me at the time.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I believe paying for Reforged unlocks the toggle for new graphics/cutscenes/etc.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Kin posted:

You'll have to download the new client data (26 GB) but you can play with the old unit models, graphics, cutscenes, etc. The only thing you can't un-Reforged are the menus and multiplayer features. Yes, that is a cheeky thing they did to get people to purchase Reforged and it's obviously really scummy, but I guess it fits in with the fact that the entire battlenet client is just a marketing tool now.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Well it's gone now

It was so open-facedly dickish when they created the standard edition (that was still labeled Ultimate Edition in your library because :effort: ), and now there's this additional cockslap across the face. I'm not even angry, I'm genuinely impressed. They're going STRAIGHT into my publisher ignore list on Steam now that I'm aware that's a thing, but still, impressed.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

StrixNebulosa posted:

Warcraft 3 was 800 mb. I remember this being huge to me at the time.

The days of User Map Settings were magic. Every silly map name in that Battle.net game search list was a welcome surprise.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've been playing War for the Overworld lately, as I wait for Evil Genius 2 to be patched (they're working on a big one now) and...whoa. This is actually pretty drat good? I last played it years ago, did the first 2-3 levels and was bored. This time I redid those levels and pressed on, and as soon as I unlocked beasts and began to get more fun levels (fighting the dwarves!) it's really clicking for me! Managing keeping all of my minions happy while working out when to assault the enemy and where to put traps and such is just satisfying. The game has become my evening treat, where I settle down to do a level and I sink a good 20-40 minutes into it and that's just perfect for me. I'm glad I decided to give it another chance.

Out of curiosity, have you played Dungeons 3? I enjoyed it and stuck with it but bounced off of War for the Overworld.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Blattdorf posted:

The days of User Map Settings were magic. Every silly map name in that Battle.net game search list was a welcome surprise.

Agreed except for the ones that were slurs or porn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Out of curiosity, have you played Dungeons 3? I enjoyed it and stuck with it but bounced off of War for the Overworld.

Not yet, but I did pick it up for 4$ in this fanatical bundle.

I'm a little worried as the reviews of Dungeons 3 describe the humor as "meme-y" and oh god, no

e: The bundle also has Icewind Dale, Walking Dead Final Season, Yoku's Island Express, Call of Juarez Bound in Blood, and two other games I don't care about