Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Hobnob posted:

Someone Red&Rover this one for me? I can't even work out what he's holding in the 2nd panel. An axe? A bathbrush?

The cake is so hard he had to try to cut it with an axe, but it ruined the axe.

The Three Stooges used the same gag on many occasions with Moe hitting Curly over the head with various tools and implements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t39dinf9zC8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Apparently war cake is made without milk or eggs. It can be tasty but yeah that gets you some dense cake.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
Oh I see! That's the cake on a stump. I was more thinking that the cakes was so bad, that was the remains of his wife's body.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Here's a recipe for war cake from an anonymous 1940s cookbook/diary-- "No butter, no eggs, no milk, delicious!":

quote:

Recipe for “War Cake”
2 cups castor sugar
2 cups hot water
2 Tbsp lard
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves
1 package seedless raisins.
Boil all together. After cold, add 2 cups of flour, 1 teaspoon of baking soda dissolved in 1 teaspoon hot water. Bake about one hour in a slow oven (300-325°F).

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

What the gently caress is castor sugar

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kavak posted:

What the gently caress is castor sugar

It's what the Brits call powdered or confectioner's sugar, IIRC.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It’s sugar that’s superfine grain but not taken all the way to being powdered.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
what if I substituted sugar in place of flour in my roux

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

It’s sugar that’s superfine grain but not taken all the way to being powdered.

How would you have access to that but lack butter, eggs, and milk? Was it more an issue of amounts?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Kavak posted:

How would you have access to that but lack butter, eggs, and milk? Was it more an issue of amounts?

Good question, I'd be interested to know the answer. It looks from 1942 onwards the sugar ration in the US was 0.5 lb per week per person, which was about half the normal consumption. So depending on how many people were in your household war cake might use up a good chunk of your weekly sugar.

Edit: ok so here's some more info. I was looking at WWII-era rations, but war cake actually dates back to WWI, with variations that used cheaper sources of sugar like syrup, molasses or raisins in place of dry sugar. It had a resurgence during the Great Depression as "depression cake" as butter, dairy, and eggs were sort of luxury items for many families who could I guess still splurge on sugar. A related dessert in WWII was wacky cake which kind of operated on similar principles, using ingredients that most families could find and afford on ration budgets like cocoa powder and baking soda, while cutting out expensive or scarce stuff like dairy.

Edit 2: Some tips on cutting back on sugar from 1918's War Economy in Food issued by the United Stated Food Administration:

which you can read here for an alternate war cake recipe and much more!

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 24, 2021

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

poo poo looks like Bootsy got a forward deployed unit instead of in the rear with the gear.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

How Wonderful! posted:

Here's a recipe for war cake from an anonymous 1940s cookbook/diary-- "No butter, no eggs, no milk, delicious!":

Me mum has been making a very similar recipe from around the same era or possibly earlier and the sugar it wanted was "raw" (which is like halfway between brown & white here in Aus). It turns out a very lovely loaf that you slice & serve with butter. It was a school lunchbox staple in my household.

Oh - check it out I wrote it out online like a million years ago here it is: http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/9566/eggless-spicey-fruit-loaf.aspx

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

poo poo looks like Bootsy got a forward deployed unit instead of in the rear with the gear.

Makes for a better comic? I don't know how Afro-Americans in WWII felt about their assignments- it'd be a lot safer than the infantry but then you had things like the Port Chicago disaster...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Kavak posted:

Makes for a better comic? I don't know how Afro-Americans in WWII felt about their assignments- it'd be a lot safer than the infantry but then you had things like the Port Chicago disaster...

All the graft happens in the rear. The red ball express was how a vast majority of African-Americans saw combat too in scratch units and ambushes. There's also a fantastic story about a black truck driver moving a squad of tired paratroopers near the end of the war. They got ambushed but backed out of the line of fire. The paratroopers really didnt want to deal machinegun nest and just wanted to call in air or artillery. The truck driver was like, nah i got a schedule and took a BAR and a handful of grenades, took a jog around the side and killed the troublesome machine gun nest himself and sauntered back to the truck. Too heroic for Bootsy but combat did happen.
He didnt return the BAR.

https://www.historynet.com/red-ball-express for just some general information on typical service here's a little gem of some of the shenanigan's on it too.

If gasoline was gold, cigarettes, rations and sugar were jewels to the French. Black marketeering was rampant as some drivers delivered whole loads to anyone willing to buy. Convoys always posted guards around the trucks to prevent the war-weary French and profit-minded American troops from taking anything not tied down.

Even drivers not involved in theft took what they wanted from the loads. They sometimes took a jerrycan here and there to sell to the French. A 5-gallon jerrycan brought $100 on the French black market.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Crab Dad posted:

IIRC by 1945 African-American soldiers were deployed to the front lines in Western Europe on an ad-hoc basis, given the demand for manpower post-Battle of the Bulge.

And of course there were some units that had been fighting in Italy.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

No new Rae the Doe on weekends!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Eh, it'll be Jason.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales
So a time skip here. As expected The Hats party tried to reclaim the lost provinces from Russia, but got beaten badly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Swedish_War_(1741%E2%80%931743)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Linnaeus

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 24, 2021

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

what health insurance

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (December 4-10, 2000)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_o_O7v1ews

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Oh... Tread carefully, Dana

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/23/01

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 5/2-4/46

As you may know, before the hippie era, "long-hair" music meant snooty intellectual stuff -- opera, classical, and so on.

"Sigfried Follies" is a reference to the Ziegfeld Follies.

Smokey Stover 9/22/40

The "Al Posing" background gag in the next-to-last panel is probably a joke on Al Posen, a fellow cartoonist who this thread will know best as the creator of Them Days Are Gone Forever.

Richard's Poor Almanac

It's exactly the same today, except that it's also completely burned down by antifa/BLM protesters.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 24, 2021

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: WHADDATWIST, or Oh no, we've got another pyromaniac on our hands!, or A pillar of smoke by day, a column of fire by night...

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (August 14, 2009)

One of my favorite little things about this strip is the nonsense cod-Slav that Tina's grandmother speaks in her rare appearances.

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 14, 1999)

Garfield Classic (August 14, 1989)

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

But we see him walking to and from school with just heartthrob all the time? Also he just runs off to the barbershop whenever the feeling takes him.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Bloop posted:

Oh... Tread carefully, Dana
I think we've known about Max for a while.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "30 - Jucika and the First Grader"

Alright here's one I don't entirely get but maybe it was a thing that if a kid had to go you just covered for them as best they could as they whizzed on the street in broad daylight.

"Jucika Works Overtime"

"Igazgató = Director / Manager"

Another wholesome chuckle.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Nov. 26, 1944)

We all knew it was coming at some point. :( Val is about to start travelling with a different companion (no points for guessing who), so I suppose Foster felt he had to get rid of the third wheel. I think Beric is an interesting character, being a slightly older man who is squiring for a very young knight. He was clearly just as capable as Val is. I would have liked to see a side story where he got knighted himself and retired to a nice fief upstate instead of going out suddenly like this, but alas.

On the plus side, I really like the way Val is just slicing through that guy's shield in the second panel.

The Medieval Castle (Nov. 26, 1944)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Thus concludes the epic saga of Kevin's bad day.

Old School Peanuts (Aug 31-Sep 1, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 26-229, 1989)

:ohdear:

Robbie and Bobby

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 24, 2021

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Being a squire to a Norseman probably means that you get a Valhalla pass by dying in a battle, so all is well.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Comet

Hi Stinky, bye Stinky.
Hi Sniff, bye Sniff.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (February 22, 1992)

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Those first three panels sure are something all right.

And nooooooo beric!

Classic Zits

Best Hector strip imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Big respect for the way the grid pattern on the overshirts actually uses the wrinkling.