Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Thanks for the hard work, the transparency AND the dark mode! :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Oh I almost forgot - one last thing. Not all the changes we've been working on have been under the hood. After so much time, I am super excited to announce DARK MODE. LITERALLY A BIRD and I have been working like crazy on this and we hope you enjoy it! Being such a long-awaited feature, we didn't want to half-rear end or disappoint - thought and effort were put into every page, and we hope it shows. You can turn it on here in your forum options. Let us know what you think and see known issues, here in this feedback thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3965797

:lovebird::love::lovebird::love::lovebird::love::lovebird:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
So was Lowtax just pocketing the difference between the costs and revenue?

I should start a dead comedy forum...

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Katamari Democracy posted:

The only thing I do not like about my Dark theme, and sorry if this sounds selfish. But my Tank icon next to my name, which I really love a lot, is hard to see in dark mode.

It shows up just fine to me. You might just need glasses, friend.

E: A whole lotta people ITT who are gonna realize the color settings on their monitors have been hosed for years and they never realized it

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

“Pocketing” sort of implies that that the money stayed in his pocket for any longer than it took to fork it immediately over to his pill and cookie dealers

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It shows up just fine to me. You might just need glasses, friend.

Well its super dark. Not light how the grenade icons look

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

What plans do the forums have for moving towards a 4-day posting week?

Also can they be more dead and/or gay?

The deadness and gayness of the forums are strictly interrelated and so if you lower deadness by adding new users or even additional posts it is inevitable that the forums must become more gay to compensate.

I for one welcome our new homoerotic overlords

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Great work, cheers to everyone

something something krust

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Many great thank yous to our new forums overlords! The SA forums have been a bug part of my life for many years and it is great to see people that actually care running them.

The SA Forums are dead! Long live the SA Forums!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

MH Knights posted:

The SA Forums are dead and gay! Long live the SA Forums!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Ya it was his business, income minus expenses = profit.

He apparently wasnt paying taxes on it thought which is why he had the huge tax debt and was broke.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Are you literally an owl? Because if not I'm afraid you may not be qualified to work on dark mode.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Yes including whatever he got from ad revenue and the patreon. If you haven’t noticed, jeff stopped all ads except goon purchased ones.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Knormal posted:

Are you literally an owl? Because if not I'm afraid you may not be qualified to work on dark mode.

I wish you'd told me sooner :(

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Why are people surprised by this or mad about it? That's how business works

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Epitope posted:

People are mad because he frequently told us that costs were higher than revenues and that if we didn't donate to SA's coffers it was going to go under.

That may still be how business works but it's okay to be pissed off about it when the truth comes out.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Epitope posted:

We're mad because he lied to us multiple times about the financial state of the site and outright said he couldn't afford to pay the hosting bills at one point

He did these grifts in between leasing luxury cars and buying $95 boxes of cookies online and spending the rest on who the gently caress knows

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
Then there are the donation drives for Xenforo while being a fuckhead about paying people for any of their work.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Yo Jeff, just wanted to say that I like how you've been running the forums. I'm hoping this post doesn't end up aging extremely poorly after you turn out to be some kind of luxury cookie-devouring wife abuser.

I literally installed a plugin for SA dark mode yesterday (after my covid vaccine shot decided that it would be fun to make my eyeballs feel like they were about to explode) so I'm glad to see it get official support.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ok that's fair. I guess I just feel if Jeff buys a sports car but the forums keep going, I got my money's worth.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

drat just looking at those numbers You can really get a sense of how much lowtax was bilking us all. Good on you Jeffrey

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I wish you'd told me sooner :(
Nightjar, or ideally potoo, will also work.

Now there's a face I trust with CSS color schemes!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Holy poo poo thank you so much for dark mode. I have eyeball issues and this is so much better.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

gently caress yeah dank mode owns

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

SatansOnion posted:

“Pocketing” sort of implies that that the money stayed in his pocket for any longer than it took to fork it immediately over to his pill and cookie dealers

you forgot the car payments for the GTR

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Knormal posted:

Nightjar, or ideally potoo, will also work.

Now there's a face I trust with CSS color schemes!

I wouldn't.

Seriously. I have opinions about colour schemes. You won't like 'em.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Epitope posted:

This isn't the problem. There were many times where he misled the community as to the financials of the website. There were posts where he outright claimed there were DIRE FINANCIAL STRAITS!! Donate now!! ...When apparently after some transparency, the website has pretty much always consistently pulled a profit, especially so after going to the cloud.

He was grifting to fund a drug and goldbelly cookie habit.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 24, 2021

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Dark mode rules and so do Jeffrey and astral and bird :stoked:

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
This dark mode is amazing. Personally it feels like a whole new forum for me. Nice job peeps!

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Just gotta laugh and say "remember how Lowtax said he was barely able to afford the '$3000' hosting costs every month"? lmao He was fleecing everyone

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Before the 2016 cloud move, the hosting costs were, in fact, much higher, but my understanding is the forums also made even more money back then.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
This mode is snazzy and I like it.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

astral posted:

Before the 2016 cloud move, the hosting costs were, in fact, much higher, but my understanding is the forums also made even more money back then.

:stonklol:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

This is great, maybe this place will survive after all. After all it's been through, it deserves to.

I have some suggestions for spending money:

• An API, so that we don't have to scrape and parse HTML 40 posts at a time anymore,
  • an image hosting service of our very own, one that doesn't try to obnoxiously pivot into "social media" like imgur, or disappear like tinypic or imageshack, or burst into flames like waffleimages,
  • the ability to sell individual posts on the blockchain as Non Fungible Tokens.
  • Don't do that last one.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

spankmeister posted:

This is great, maybe this place will survive after all. After all it's been through, it deserves to.

I have some suggestions for spending money:
  • An API, so that we don't have to scrape and parse HTML 40 posts at a time anymore,

This would be nice to have someday.

quote:

• an image hosting service of our very own, one that doesn't try to obnoxiously pivot into "social media" like imgur, or disappear like tinypic or imageshack, or burst into flames like waffleimages,

We would eventually like to see Attachments 2.0, a modern system that would allow you to attach more than one image to a post, :siren:not keep the images stored in the database:gonk::siren:, and have actual ease-of-use (drag-and-drop convenience, images not disappearing on post preview, can edit/remove them without involving a moderator, etc.).

Not an arbitrary image host, though—just post attachments.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

spankmeister posted:

[*] an image hosting service of our very own, one that doesn't try to obnoxiously pivot into "social media" like imgur, or disappear like tinypic or imageshack, or burst into flames like waffleimages,

If this is available I would like an option whenever I upload an image to autodelete it after a week or a year or so. Quite often I just want to share something once and I don't want to stick it around on the internet forever (yes I know people can just copypaste it and upload it elsewhere but still I like to have some control over my uploads).

===

Also, for the people who keep talking about the previous owner's lies, please remember that Jeffrey's very nickname isn't the truth. I got a copy of Jeffrey's birth cert right here and he definitely wasn't born in YOSPOS.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

$0.50 to change an avatar for 24 hours when :stonks:

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I just wanted to add to the discussion that the financials kind of prove what a lying sack of poo poo Lowtax was especially with how often he begged people to buy stuff. I think at one point he implored people to turn-off adbloc k(yeah, good luck getting goons to do that) because things were that dire. I knew something was up when the forums kept chugging along every month and all Lowtax did was go "buy more poo poo!" and not delve into what he was doing to cut costs like troubled businesses have to do at some point.

Anyways, I support our own image uploading service as well. We unofficially use Imgur but it would be nice for sheer convenience to not have to visit an exterior site.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Justin Godscock posted:

Anyways, I support our own image uploading service as well. We unofficially use Imgur but it would be nice for sheer convenience to not have to visit an exterior site.

Personally I'm more worried about their escalating anti-adblock masures. The forums have so many imgur images at this point that I would hate to see it go the way of imageshack, waffleimages, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

What's the tax rate on the forums? I assume pretty... low :frogc00l: