Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I mean....attacking the corpse that’s not really a corpse preemptively to avoid the screaming. I tried to do that with one I knew was a trap lady from a prior coop run and it didn’t work. Did I type that oddly or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I never took them as jump scares. I tend to play stealth with the slumbering Dragon crest ring, so I can get into combat how I want to. Sneaking past all those jailers only to have all of them rush me because of the zombie scream was certainly fun.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Looking for some input on my assassin/sorcerer. I'm playing 3 characters, and my sorcerer is by far the weakest. I'm doing dex/int and wielding an uchi/court sorcerer staff, tactically I mainly try to shoot/kill from a distance and then parry/sword as a last resort if they get close. Except that my damage output is so low that they always get close, and because I'm trying to rely on my magic mainly, I haven't been upgrading my sword a lot, so I've ended up at Lothric/Anor Londo with my main strategy being to run around invisible nearly all the time, only stopping to very slowly kill things with pestilent mist. And even with the dark plate ring Aldrich 1-2 shots me.

So mainly I'm looking for sorcerer/build advice. Also, I'm trying to decide whether to reinfuse my sharp uchi with simple, or infuse my scythe with simple and try it out. On top of all this I don't see my spell buff increasing if I further reinforce my staff past +6, is it worth taking it to +10?

scythe:

uchi:

my stats:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

IronicDongz posted:

The life drain in the dungeon is actually a good mechanic. the jumpscare screams are incredibly dumb though
I think they're fine because they inspire dread despite being fairly weak, but the area where there's about seven of them walking in a circle is ludicrous. I don't know how to do it except to slowly isolate each one.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Looking for some input on my assassin/sorcerer. I'm playing 3 characters, and my sorcerer is by far the weakest. I'm doing dex/int and wielding an uchi/court sorcerer staff, tactically I mainly try to shoot/kill from a distance and then parry/sword as a last resort if they get close. Except that my damage output is so low that they always get close, and because I'm trying to rely on my magic mainly, I haven't been upgrading my sword a lot, so I've ended up at Lothric/Anor Londo with my main strategy being to run around invisible nearly all the time, only stopping to very slowly kill things with pestilent mist. And even with the dark plate ring Aldrich 1-2 shots me.

So mainly I'm looking for sorcerer/build advice. Also, I'm trying to decide whether to reinfuse my sharp uchi with simple, or infuse my scythe with simple and try it out. On top of all this I don't see my spell buff increasing if I further reinforce my staff past +6, is it worth taking it to +10?

scythe:

uchi:

my stats:

Keep the Uchi Sharp and buff with your magic weapon skills. Simple is a sucky infusion for weapons and is better used on a shield for passive FP regen when you aren't casting. Crystal Infusion is a thing but I would reserve it for your parrying/backstabbing weapon, such as a Dagger or Rapier. Sorcery itself doesn't really start to shine until you pick up the crystal Sorceries in Grand Archives. What spells have you been using specifically? Also the Dark Plate Ring isn't doing you any favors vs Aldrich, he's using magic, use the Magic Plate Ring instead.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

snoremac posted:

I think they're fine because they inspire dread despite being fairly weak, but the area where there's about seven of them walking in a circle is ludicrous. I don't know how to do it except to slowly isolate each one.

I think you’re “meant” to do it stealth style and unlock the cell door at the end with the crucified guy to whittle them down if you wanna explore since he’ll immediately go ham on them (and probably also the mimic), I think you can just hug the wall and not have very many of them aggro to the cell with the giant babies that are mostly passive.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

snoremac posted:

Herd those fuckers and throw vestiges at them. If you aren't a pyro then rip.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Aidan_702 posted:

We’re proud of you veeg!

Thank you! Three goes on Gael and each time I got to his third phase, which I am pretty happy about :) Should not take too much time to eventually best him. What a beast of a boss!

Oscar Wild posted:

Awesome job! That area you co-oped was the right way to do it. Someone in the chat mentioned it was getting ridiculous. When I went through I just ran like a maniac after spending way too much time getting owned by the knights.

FROM really went ham with all fast enemies that hit like a truck.

What did you think of Midir?

Actually not that perturbed by Midir believe it or not. My second or third try (I only had a few goes) I got him down to second phase and it turns out my blades (if I am hitting his head) do some pretty wicked damage and I was able for a small while to concentrate on his head. :)

Aidan_702 posted:

Also, watching it back RE patches and why I love him - he is the one who shows you the way forward, and punishes the greed of men, but at the same time he shows you the way forward to your destiny by utilising your greed. He is essentially a Buddhist god who makes it until the end of time with you. He was always, really, your friend in every game.

:edit: everyone on the chat is saying exactly the same as I was typing it so oh well. Patches is the ying to your yang. There's also a theory that patches is Miyazaki personified in game which I love.

I genuinely thought it was him from the first time he spoke because I was so sure I recognised his voice, but I did not say anything because I thought I would be way off and have kept getting other people mixed up due to voice actors :D

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Umm, Greirat question. His quest line is pretty infamous my now so I read up on it some. My understanding is that Siegward ends up saving him while going through Ithryl or you tell Patches that’s where he went and he does it. I ended up going to Ithryl Dungeon and further through the Profaned Capital for my build and ended up freeing Siegward from his cell.

So umm, since Patches isn’t offering to save him and Siegward is gonna be busy with his own plot stuff from what I know, is Greirat already saved and gonna pop back in to Firelink when I kill a boss or did I gently caress up?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

And Tyler Too! posted:

Keep the Uchi Sharp and buff with your magic weapon skills. Simple is a sucky infusion for weapons and is better used on a shield for passive FP regen when you aren't casting. Crystal Infusion is a thing but I would reserve it for your parrying/backstabbing weapon, such as a Dagger or Rapier. Sorcery itself doesn't really start to shine until you pick up the crystal Sorceries in Grand Archives. What spells have you been using specifically? Also the Dark Plate Ring isn't doing you any favors vs Aldrich, he's using magic, use the Magic Plate Ring instead.
Thanks a ton!

Last Celebration posted:

Umm, Greirat question. His quest line is pretty infamous my now so I read up on it some. My understanding is that Siegward ends up saving him while going through Ithryl or you tell Patches that’s where he went and he does it. I ended up going to Ithryl Dungeon and further through the Profaned Capital for my build and ended up freeing Siegward from his cell.

So umm, since Patches isn’t offering to save him and Siegward is gonna be busy with his own plot stuff from what I know, is Greirat already saved and gonna pop back in to Firelink when I kill a boss or did I gently caress up?
I've managed to save Greirat once after killing him twice, so based on my experience he's screwed. You should be able to find his ashes in the waters near the kitchen where Siegward was chilling in Irithyll. The ashes are in the corner of the flooded basement where all the house centipede-looking enemies are, specifically the corner where you can find three of them clustered.

Apparently to save him, once he's sent to Irithyll, you have to make sure either Siegward is in that kitchen (without exhausting his dialogue), OR send Patches to Irithyll. Then, before reaching Irithyll Dungeon, you have to beat a boss. Any other sequence of events will kill Greirat.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Lol, that blows chunks, thanks.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way
edit: someone gave a proper answer above :doh:

Irithyll dungeon jump scares worked for me. Those screams usually pull other foes to the vicinity leading to some brutal ganks and boy did I panic the first time when 10 jailers came all rushing towards me.

Goatson fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 21, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Last Celebration posted:

Lol, that blows chunks, thanks.

It blows extremely hard :( Poor Greirat.

I'm also refusing to send him to Lothric Castle on the save where he survived Irithyll because I read the wikidot about his quest after failing it the first time, and apparently no matter what you do he'll die in Lothric Castle, and he doesn't deserve that. He might be bored in Firelink but at least he can chill among friends :)

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I was worried about doing midir as a faith build but then I remembered there’s a lightning arrow spell hidden one room away and I had the foresight to buy pestilent mist very early on in the game. Had one other summon and we took it down first go with only one Estes used.

:coffeepal:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Midir is the one boss I've never bested in DS3. :sigh:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

And Tyler Too! posted:

What spells have you been using specifically?

Just realized I forgot to answer this question. For half the game so far, I've been mainly using homing soulmass and great heavy soul arrow. Then once I got the dark sorceries available, I started mainly using Affinity, Soul Spear, and Hidden Body, with a dark clutch ring. Sometimes I'll swap out Affinity for Great Magic Weapon and then put on the magic clutch ring.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Just realized I forgot to answer this question. For half the game so far, I've been mainly using homing soulmass and great heavy soul arrow. Then once I got the dark sorceries available, I started mainly using Affinity, Soul Spear, and Hidden Body, with a dark clutch ring. Sometimes I'll swap out Affinity for Great Magic Weapon and then put on the magic clutch ring.

Soulmass is more of a PvP spell for forcing rolls, Soul Arrow is a wet fart, try the Soul Spears instead. The Dark Sorceries are really only worthwhile when using the Izalith Staff (and having a few points in FTH), but they can be very powerful, including cheesing the everloving crap out of Dancer & Friede.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
I had longest slugging match with the giant boss (I did not notice the weapon next to throne before I had defeated him) and then got teleported to fight the dancer. Just barely managed to scrape by by being extremely aggressive.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
ooooh okay, thanks for the tips. This is my first sorc build in any of the souls games so it's much appreciated. Wish I hadn't used my twinkling on the pontiff curved sword lol

My court sorceror's staff doesn't seem to get any more spell buff after +6, should I bother increasing it to +10? It looks like it only gets more physical attack power(???).

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 21, 2021

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

ooooh okay, thanks for the tips. This is my first sorc build in any of the souls games so it's much appreciated. Wish I hadn't used my twinkling on the pontiff curved sword lol

My court sorceror's staff doesn't seem to get any more spell buff after +6, should I bother increasing it to +5? It looks like it only gets more physical attack power(???).

Court Sorcerer scales better at 50+ INT. If you're parking at 40 INT the Heretic Staff is strong, as is the default Catalyst you begin with.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

And Tyler Too! posted:

Court Sorcerer scales better at 50+ INT. If you're parking at 40 INT the Heretic Staff is strong, as is the default Catalyst you begin with.

oh dang, all right. Sounds like I better up my INT some then.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
The interaction of Spell buff = cast stat x weapon lvl is so God drat esoteric for each casting tool that you essentially have to put them all to +10 to find what works for your current int/faith. I hate it. They need a in-game chart for this nonsense.

The spell buff listed on the crystal chime is actually an aggregate of two different spell buffs for miricles or sorceries, BUT the whole amount is applied to lightning spells (not lightning weapon cuz it's a buff). Meanwhile all dark themed cast tools only list the total spell buff for dark spells.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

War Wizard posted:

The interaction of Spell buff = cast stat x weapon lvl is so God drat esoteric for each casting tool that you essentially have to put them all to +10 to find what works for your current int/faith. I hate it. They need a in-game chart for this nonsense.

The spell buff listed on the crystal chime is actually an aggregate of two different spell buffs for miricles or sorceries, BUT the whole amount is applied to lightning spells (not lightning weapon cuz it's a buff). Meanwhile all dark themed cast tools only list the total spell buff for dark spells.

Solution is pick the one you like the picture of and +10 it. Never look back

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I’m up to midir as a str/fth guy and I still have no idea what the difference between a chime and a talisman is. I like the ariandel flail though, very Blasphemous.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I’m up to midir as a str/fth guy and I still have no idea what the difference between a chime and a talisman is. I like the ariandel flail though, very Blasphemous.

Chimes usually have the weapon art Gentle Prayer, as opposed to talismans and Unfaltering Prayer. Specific chimes have unique characteristics, but otherwise that's it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Talismans are for PvP poisecasting.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

oh. well at least that’s simple. I thought it might’ve been some hidden ‘ones better for dark, ones better for lightning’ deal that I couldn’t figure out. speaking of catalysts: the immolation tinder casting sorcerers makes no sense.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

In honour of Veeg’s stream tonight

(I just saw it on Instagram and wanted to Shamelessly steal it)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Umm, they should really have put the Storm Ruler somewhere like right next to the boss room in a chest or something. Kinda sucks poo poo that Onion Bro just bit it because the charge isn’t very intuitive if you don’t already use a weapon with a stance.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Aidan_702 posted:

In honour of Veeg’s stream tonight

(I just saw it on Instagram and wanted to Shamelessly steal it)

:polite bow:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Last Celebration posted:

Umm, they should really have put the Storm Ruler somewhere like right next to the boss room in a chest or something. Kinda sucks poo poo that Onion Bro just bit it because the charge isn’t very intuitive if you don’t already use a weapon with a stance.

In souls games you are intended to miss out on NPC quests or let them die the first time. Its no biggie.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Well yeah, I got my titanite slab so I don’t care all that much wrt gameplay, but I feel slightly robbed insofar as me and Siegward both tag teaming Yhorm with sick sonic booms would have been sick as poo poo, I don’t even care that I lost a pretty good NPC to expedite the fight.

Speaking of, I went back to Ithryl since I ended up going to the Dungeon to make a Dark Battle Axe and that worked out pretty great! It turns out that lots of things really hate being hit by dark damage, and they hate that my battle axe actually scales with my good stats even more! Pontiff Sully seems a bit much though, and I think From knew that since there’s so many summons readily though.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

I just finally for the first time got enough sunlight medals for the great lightning spear and...it’s not as good as sunlight spear??

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Aidan_702 posted:

I just finally for the first time got enough sunlight medals for the great lightning spear and...it’s not as good as sunlight spear??

I think you're supposed to use it at close range or something. The whole lightning chain of spells feels nerfed.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Aidan_702 posted:

lmao, I was wondering about that. I looked at all the covenant rewards and none of them seem that great. At least you only need 30 tchotchkes to rank up now instead of like, 80 or 100 or whatever. Or if you're playing DS2 red spirit covenant, win 500 more times than you lose (wtf)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Aidan_702 posted:

yes, that's intended since sunlight spear is made from the final boss soul, just like in ds1. except in ds1 great lightning spear was easier to get.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Last Celebration posted:

Speaking of, I went back to Ithryl since I ended up going to the Dungeon to make a Dark Battle Axe and that worked out pretty great!

Why go to the trouble to make one when there’s a perfectly good one in a mimic chest on the High Wall of Lothric.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

axolotl farmer posted:

Why go to the trouble to make one when there’s a perfectly good one in a mimic chest on the High Wall of Lothric.
That's deep, not dark

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Or if you're playing DS2 red spirit covenant, win 500 more times than you lose (wtf)

At least that one you can just get to NG++ and then vendors will sell all the spells. Though you miss out on the sick sheen you get as a phantom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
...I am not very perceptive.

I was having trouble with the Unknown King boss. And thought of finally using Undead Boneshards to boost my Estus. I had assumed that those boosted that Bonfire only. I only noticed my mistake when that specific Bonfire did not have the burning option...

:negative: