Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhJWzamZ3Sc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Recommend me a women’s saddle for a dropper. My wife rides with her rear end in the seat and it wears her out. Haven’t gotten to the “stand on your pedals when rolling over a log” point yet.
my girlfriend uses a selle italia gel flow ladies saddle on all her bikes, she literally went and bought 2 more straight after one day of riding on her first one

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

my girlfriend uses a selle italia gel flow ladies saddle on all her bikes, she literally went and bought 2 more straight after one day of riding on her first one
This is 100% the way to do touch points TBH. If you like something and it fits you, it'll 100% get discontinued by the time you need to replace it.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

https://youtu.be/oN5DRtKOvCg

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

yessss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik3e2ZugOCM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA4lLpal8ME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxyQ06_blF8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nM8spboQWc

also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sha8AVzJtY

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

This is 100% the way to do touch points TBH. If you like something and it fits you, it'll 100% get discontinued by the time you need to replace it.
and the new and improved model will 100% be an uncomfortable pos

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Been out mtbing a few times lately

'

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

rockcity posted:

Maybe $100 or so. I’m flexible on that, I just don’t want to blindly drop a ton of money on a pair if there are sort of a highly recommended good value option.

I have a hand me down pair of smith sunglasses with 3 different lenses. The middle tint I find is the most useful for riding due to shadows from trees. I’d just get a no name pair of glasses from Amazon that has free returns. I don’t think there is a big optics quality difference between cheaper and high end glasses. If you want to be really cheap get tinted safety glasses.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Tifosi has some reasonably priced glasses with either multiple or photochromic lenses. Bigger is better to keep wind and grit and bugs out of your eyes.

https://www.tifosioptics.com/product/sledge-lite-matte-black-with-red-foto/

With my old pivlocks I almost always used the rose tint lens for mtb, now I have some fancy photochromic jawbreakers and those are great for mtb and everything except bright sunlight out in the open. There is a little bit of a delay to them going back to "clear" in the evening but then once it's dark i can keep them on if I want. But on full night rides i wear completely clear lenses.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Light sensitive lenses don’t change quickly enough when going from sunny to shady areas. We have a bunch of that around here but ymmv.

PuErhTeabag
Sep 2, 2018

evil_bunnY posted:

I've personally experienced this with trail running shoes. And I tried to play the game of "wait for it to go on sale and stock up" with very limited success.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
My saddle just broke. On my road bike I love my Specialized Power in 155mm, but don't want to spend $130 bucks for it to get smashed up when I crash.

Is there something similar that would be more MTB worthy?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I feel like you can't go wrong with WTB: https://www.wtb.com/collections/saddles

Of course everything is basically sold out...

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I rode right past this dangerous friend today:

A young copperhead right on the side of the trail. He spooked me pretty good as I rode past. I tried to nudge it off the trail but he wasn't budging. I hope nobody gets tagged by it.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I was focusing hard on a tricky (I’m a stupid newbie) stream crossing yesterday and then super pumped that I nailed it, and for both reasons I completely forgot I’d have to navigate the bank on the far side, so I just gracelessly belly flopped into the dirt. Still hella fun

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

spwrozek posted:

I feel like you can't go wrong with WTB: https://www.wtb.com/collections/saddles

Of course everything is basically sold out...

Of course. Should have known to look there.

I guess I was hesitant because I didn't like the OEM ones they provide for Salsa.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

PolishPandaBear posted:

My saddle just broke. On my road bike I love my Specialized Power in 155mm, but don't want to spend $130 bucks for it to get smashed up when I crash.

Is there something similar that would be more MTB worthy?

Did you like the one you just busted? Get that. I have a saddle I like that is out of production. I’ve started a hoard of them and am up to 4.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

n8r posted:

Did you like the one you just busted? Get that. I have a saddle I like that is out of production. I’ve started a hoard of them and am up to 4.

It was an old Spec Ronin from 2013 or so. Wasn't really my favorite.

Sounds like I should buy a few more Power saddles to keep on hand for road use.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

rockcity posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a decent, moderately priced pair of biking sunglasses? None of my normal sunglasses are particularly good for riding so I want to get a pair that are better for wind and debris.

Not sure if you got some glasses already, but Backcountry’s having 25% off a lot of sunnies, including the aforementioned Tifosi Sledges.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

rockcity posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a decent, moderately priced pair of biking sunglasses? None of my normal sunglasses are particularly good for riding so I want to get a pair that are better for wind and debris.

I got my Goodr's and they've been great! I'm rocking this pair for mountain biking, mostly because I wanted a the closest I could get to a yellow lens:
https://goodr.com/products/jokes-on-you

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
My fast rear end causes my bike seat to squeal like crazy, also the mechanism to attach it is the loving worst so I'm in the market, any recommendations?

Currently using a WTB Rocket which was amazing for the longest time but has been causing my groin to feel like it fell asleep if I sit on it for a longer ride so I think I need something with a bit more breathability?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

me your dad posted:

I rode right past this dangerous friend today:

A young copperhead right on the side of the trail. He spooked me pretty good as I rode past. I tried to nudge it off the trail but he wasn't budging. I hope nobody gets tagged by it.

Gonna guess Lake Fairfax?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone have any experience with dropper posts for shorter people? My girlfriend wants to get one for her small Scott Spark but there's not much room in the frame. There's about 170mm insertion depth, and 140mm of post sticking out of the frame at the moment, and I'm just finding it hard to find one that will fit nicely and have some drop. Looking for an external one preferably. The seatpost is 31.6mm diameter as well.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

Currently using a WTB Rocket which was amazing for the longest time but has been causing my groin to feel like it fell asleep if I sit on it for a longer ride so I think I need something with a bit more breathability?
"falling asleep" means nerve or meat getting pinched/pressured. You need something that'll let you rest on your sit bones, and stay out of the way of your junk.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Gonna guess Lake Fairfax?

Accotink. It was on the trail next to the railroad track.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mr. Crow posted:

My fast rear end causes my bike seat to squeal like crazy, also the mechanism to attach it is the loving worst so I'm in the market, any recommendations?

If try adjusting the angle first maybe. But if you're just replacing it anyway welp.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

:woop: :tutbutt: :tutbutt: :woop:

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Aphex- posted:

Does anyone have any experience with dropper posts for shorter people? My girlfriend wants to get one for her small Scott Spark but there's not much room in the frame. There's about 170mm insertion depth, and 140mm of post sticking out of the frame at the moment, and I'm just finding it hard to find one that will fit nicely and have some drop. Looking for an external one preferably. The seatpost is 31.6mm diameter as well.

My partner has a brand x ascend in her small frame, and it fits, but barely.

EDIT for an image:

The bend in the seat tube means there's annoyingly little space for the post.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 28, 2021

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Aphex- posted:

If an internal dropper can fit, OneUp would be a good choice. Short insertion length and a calculator on their website to let you know exactly what size to get based on how her current post fits.

If an external dropper is the only option, look at the Fox Transfer or PNW Cascade. Those dimensions could be tough though.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Bud Manstrong posted:

If an internal dropper can fit, OneUp would be a good choice. Short insertion length and a calculator on their website to let you know exactly what size to get based on how her current post fits.

If an external dropper is the only option, look at the Fox Transfer or PNW Cascade. Those dimensions could be tough though.

Seconding the One Up. You can even reduce travel more with their internal pins so you should be able to get it to work.

PuErhTeabag
Sep 2, 2018
All this talk about dropper posts reminds me of my friend who had the rebound damper fail on his first gen dropper post so that it would just nail him in the balls.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Old school spring loaded droppers are more popular in the fatbike world because they work better in the cold. A buddy of mine has one and itll launch a full water bottle 3' in the air. I call it his eggbeater.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I think I’ve explained it in here before (spinal fusion, basically no right quad, severe weakness in right leg) but an eMTB has allowed me to ride for first time in like 12 years.

However I’m constantly trying to figure things out that work best with my limitations. I’ve had a hard time keeping my right leg on the pedal the last couple rides when poo poo gets rocky and bouncy, probably helping lead to a crash a couple weeks ago (I mean it was mostly me being stupid but leg flying off pedal didn’t help).

I’m debating experimenting with clipless. Possibly just on the right with a flat on the left. I rode clipless pre surgery on road bikes with the road style massive plastic clips but never used an SPD or something similar. Basically anything anyone thinks I should know is appreciated, such as:

- is one clipless pedal one flat pedal loving idiotic?
- between SPD and crank brothers (or any other style) would you recommend one that might be easier to clip out in an emergency with a weaker leg
- any style of shoes you would recommend
- anything you think I should know
- anything else as well

I’m going to talk to my LBS but honestly my injuries make everything somewhat bespoke so more thoughts are always welcome, especially as this thread has some smart people.

Not sure this will happen anytime soon. Might wait until summer and the rain/mud is truly gone to make the switch, and should also give me time to hopefully test out the different systems at the LBS, but knowing me I’ll get impatient and excited and be spending money on this stuff within a week, so appreciate the ideas.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I don’t think anything is stupid if it makes you feel more comfortable riding. SPDs with the tension backed off and taken care of are very easy to clip out. I enjoy my FiveTen MTB shoes (for both flats and clipless), but honestly there are lots of great shoes these days and getting something that fits comfortably is the most important thing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Voodoofly posted:

I think I’ve explained it in here before (spinal fusion, basically no right quad, severe weakness in right leg) but an eMTB has allowed me to ride for first time in like 12 years.

However I’m constantly trying to figure things out that work best with my limitations. I’ve had a hard time keeping my right leg on the pedal the last couple rides when poo poo gets rocky and bouncy, probably helping lead to a crash a couple weeks ago (I mean it was mostly me being stupid but leg flying off pedal didn’t help).

I’m debating experimenting with clipless. Possibly just on the right with a flat on the left. I rode clipless pre surgery on road bikes with the road style massive plastic clips but never used an SPD or something similar. Basically anything anyone thinks I should know is appreciated, such as:

- is one clipless pedal one flat pedal loving idiotic?
- between SPD and crank brothers (or any other style) would you recommend one that might be easier to clip out in an emergency with a weaker leg
- any style of shoes you would recommend
- anything you think I should know
- anything else as well

I’m going to talk to my LBS but honestly my injuries make everything somewhat bespoke so more thoughts are always welcome, especially as this thread has some smart people.

Not sure this will happen anytime soon. Might wait until summer and the rain/mud is truly gone to make the switch, and should also give me time to hopefully test out the different systems at the LBS, but knowing me I’ll get impatient and excited and be spending money on this stuff within a week, so appreciate the ideas.

I would just do double clipless, and the tension required to clip out is adjustable on pretty much every system so I'd just see what works for you. I have no recommendations as I'm a flats rider. Maybe look on Pinkbike BuySell in your area for some clipless pedals/shoes to do this a bit cheaper.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I would suggest spds. They have a clear option that releases easier and you can adjust the tension to be very light as well. Also they are just more durable than egg beater style pedals.

For shoes it’s really personal in terms of fit and also what kind of walking experience via super stiff sole you want. I personally like Pearl Izumi X Alp series because they fit my foot and the higher end models have good adjustable foot beds for my terrible feet. But you really have to try a bunch of brands to see what fits. A lot of them tend to run narrow.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Riding one flat one clip is stupid.

Are you riding with a real flat pedal mtb shoe now? If not try that first.

If you were a person with no disabilities complaining about feet rattling off I’d say it’s bad technique. Given your issues maybe you get a little slack, but honestly this is likely a technique issue. Work on good body position and being in that attack position. If you don’t absorb bumps with your legs you’ll rattle off pedals regardless of disabilities.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Voodoofly posted:

I think I’ve explained it in here before (spinal fusion, basically no right quad, severe weakness in right leg)

n8r posted:

Given your issues maybe you get a little slack,

Just a little, eh.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

n8r posted:

Riding one flat one clip is stupid.

Are you riding with a real flat pedal mtb shoe now? If not try that first.

If you were a person with no disabilities complaining about feet rattling off I’d say it’s bad technique. Given your issues maybe you get a little slack, but honestly this is likely a technique issue. Work on good body position and being in that attack position. If you don’t absorb bumps with your legs you’ll rattle off pedals regardless of disabilities.

If you recall his first post about this he basically can't stand on his injured leg with both pedals flat which is really problematic. Technique probably isn't the solution here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

a foolish pianist posted:

My partner has a brand x ascend in her small frame, and it fits, but barely.

EDIT for an image:

The bend in the seat tube means there's annoyingly little space for the post.

Yeah I've had a look at the Brand X external dropper, with 85mm drop and it might be the best one. I'd have to get some seat shims to reduce the diameter but it should work well.

Bud Manstrong posted:

I've already used the OneUp calculator and yeah, there just isn't enough space for any of their drops. The insertion depth of their smallest one is 207mm which is still way too much, and they only do internal droppers so not what I'm looking for anyway.

I have also seen a couple of KS droppers that may be decent. Problem is my girlfriend would really rather not spent too much on the dropper, and it's tough to figure out if one will be right unless we just buy it and see. There does seem to be a few potentials though so I'll do some more research on it. Also stock is definitely an issue at the moment frustratingly!