Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bonzo posted:

Every time I post about this, they call me.

:yotj:

Pay is only slightly more but no more weekends, no more rotating holidays, no more Pager Duty, no more night shifts, and a VERY strict 9-5 policy. WFH but will be back in office when things settle. The office is a 10 minute walk from my house so not a big deal.

I'll gladly take it

Hey, that's awesome! Congrats! Just keep posting till you :yotj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd totally give up all WFH if my commute was a sub-30 minute walk

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

drat, that is a perfect commute right there.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My current place was a 5 minute walk. I moved and it's now a 5 minute bike ride, but I still have no desire to go into the office. My home setup is much nicer, I can do things like make lunch or throw in a load of laundry, I don't have to wear real clothes, and most importantly, I don't have to be around my coworkers.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I look forward to going back to the office occasionally. This being cooped up in my apartment for more then a year isn't healthy.

Anyway, it's gonna be my decision at my new job since my manager and his manager are both based in the US while I'm in Europe and both had been home office based for over a decade and they made it clear they didn't care about where I did my work.

edit: New office is gonna be 30 minutes walking or 15 minutes by tram.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Grats.

I have an interview for a BI dev job on Tuesday that I'm now really looking forward to. Going from implementation consultant, which is a glorified tech support role tbh.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
After a good chat with a potential hire today I had HR extend an offer, so hopefully that’s the end of my foray into the world of interviewing.

Do people still do reference checks? Like actually calling references, not background checks. They seem fairly worthless IMO.

Also, gently caress recruiters. I supplied them with a Calendly link to give to the applicant and they instead filled it out themselves and put the applicants phone number in the little notes field which I wasn’t loving looking for.

So I was sitting in a worthless Teams meeting for like 10 min before re-checking the calendar invite. The recruiter had even filled in their own email, so the person didn’t even get the loving invite.

Spring Heeled Jack fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 24, 2021

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

That’s why my resume is latex.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

jaegerx posted:

That’s why my resume is latex.

does it squeak when it moves?

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
hello linux friends

ubuntu's site says hirsute hippo 21.04 is now generally available as of yesterday but do-release-upgrade is still pointing to the old release. Do they just do ISO downloads first and then allow for upgrades later or what?

thanks for ur time and attention and best and kindesst regards <3

http://divajutta.com/doctormo/ubunchu/

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

does vim get better

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Famethrowa posted:

does vim get better

Better? I don't understand. Vim is perfection.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

https://certification.acquia.com/registry/grand-masters

this is slack admin position to me

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

Better? I don't understand. Vim is perfection.

ive been told to respond with "but nano is better"

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Famethrowa posted:

ive been told to respond with "but nano is better"

and that response would be correct.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

MF_James posted:

This is exactly what I just bought for my wife; again, I think the dumb arm rests don't lock in place, they're also hard as gently caress plastic so get a cover.

yeah you're right, they suck. Butt and back is good though

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Defenestrategy posted:

and that response would be correct.

:wrong:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Please, we can all, nano and vim users alike, come together in harmony. United by our hatred of those dirty emacs users.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You should not be using console text editors at all.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Fool posted:

You should not be using console text editors a GUI on your server at all.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Coffee Jones posted:

hello linux friends

ubuntu's site says hirsute hippo 21.04 is now generally available as of yesterday but do-release-upgrade is still pointing to the old release. Do they just do ISO downloads first and then allow for upgrades later or what?

You are on LTS. Your next LTS upgrade is 22.04 - you are on the latest and still supported version.

21.04 is for [usually] desktops running non-long term support. You would be upgrading from 20.10 to reach 21.04.

If you really want to force it you can upgrade 20.04 LTS to 20.10 non-LTS to 21.04 non-LTS.

Alternatively, just install it from the windows store again

See https://ubuntu.com/about/release-cycle

Impotence fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 24, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Fool posted:

You should not be using console text editors at all.

Where's the howto for x11 over a serial console?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Everything should be managed with automation, you check your change in to version control and it is applied.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

Please, we can all, nano and vim users alike, come together in harmony. United by our hatred of those dirty emacs users.

If I'm gonna have to use a text editor for nerd cred, I'm gonna go with the one with overly complicated interface and tetris instead of the one with just complicated interface.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

The Fool posted:

Everything should be managed with automation, you check your change in to version control and it is applied through a rickety set of shell scripts.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

:hmmyes:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No version control at our shop. Didn't even have a dev environment until a few years ago.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The Fool posted:

Everything should be managed with automation, you check your change in to version control and it is applied.

look at you working at Best Practices Inc

nullfunction posted:

Everything should be managed with automation, you check your change in to version control and it is applied through a rickety set of shell scripts.

Write the shell scripts to deploy automatically are themselves automatically deployed by yet another set of shell scripts.

Matt Zerrela please post the Homer JPEG. I don't have it offhand.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best automation is someone pasting shell commands into a wiki and breaking it up with commentary so you can't even cut and paste the whole thing in one go.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
1. Create script/config/whatever in an advanced editor on your local workstation.
2. If minor tweaks are needed, edit live on test system using simple console editor like nano. If major tweaks are needed, return to #1.
3. Once complete, deploy to prod through automation.

None of those steps justify the complication of vim unless you insist on doing #1 from a console session on a '70s era terminal.

I maintain the position that if vi weren't mandated in POSIX and SUS it wouldn't have lasted as more than a niche thing beyond the limited terminals it was designed around.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Our company doesn't have a test environment either.

Closest thing we have are chromebooks that we're supposed to open suspicious files on. It was deemed that having a test environment on our network would be more risky than just .... yoloing scripts I guess?

I mean they hired a nurse with an A+ and zero tech experience as a cybersecurity analyst so it could be worse.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wolrah posted:

I maintain the position that if vi weren't mandated in POSIX and SUS it wouldn't have lasted as more than a niche thing beyond the limited terminals it was designed around.

It's okay to be wrong. :buddy:

There are a massive number of editors out there, and unix nerds aren't so stuck in their ways that they never try new things. If vi was really that bad it would have died 30 years ago, so the simpler explanation is that a lot of people actually prefer it.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Nano is really useful to make a couple quick fixes but I strongly prefer sublime text.

I’m not going to use a text editor that I have to google how to exit though gently caress that

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
You can browse and open poo poo on any Linux OS with VS Code and its pretty drat easy but if I have to use something Nano 4 lyfe

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I like micro recently for envs where I can install it otherwise vi is fine and always there.

People who use its as an IDE are psychos. Even stuff like spacevim is insanity.

And yeah the VScode remote plugin rules.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
What's a good resource for learning powershell these days? I notice "Powershell in a month of lunches" has not been updated since 2016.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Powershell in a Month of Lunches is still good for basics.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Nano is really useful to make a couple quick fixes but I strongly prefer sublime text.

I’m not going to use a text editor that I have to google how to exit though gently caress that
You don't have to Google, just open help with :h

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I just discovered Power Automate. Holy poo poo, this is cool.

If you have keys to the kingdom and can install dev tools and have permissions to script whatever, than it's not that big of a deal. However if you're on a locked down laptop like myself, it appears to be a golden goose. I just prototyped a Flow (TM) that is triggered from a Teams message -> scrapes the content of the message -> passes it to an Excel Office Script -> does some logic comparison against a network file -> returns the result to the user in Teams.

Has anyone done anything cool with Power Automate? It seems to be a little talked about corner of O365.

Microsoft page on Power Automate: https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/

*I realize this is tangentially related to "Working IT". A broader topic for my brothers and sisters suffering from the lack of local admin.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Latin Hobbit
Jan 29, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

I just discovered Power Automate. Holy poo poo, this is cool.

If you have keys to the kingdom and can install dev tools and have permissions to script whatever, than it's not that big of a deal. However if you're on a locked down laptop like myself, it appears to be a golden goose. I just prototyped a Flow (TM) that is triggered from a Teams message -> scrapes the content of the message -> passes it to an Excel Office Script -> does some logic comparison against a network file -> returns the result to the user in Teams.

Has anyone done anything cool with Power Automate? It seems to be a little talked about corner of O365.

Microsoft page on Power Automate: https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/

*I realize this is tangentially related to "Working IT". A broader topic for my brothers and sisters suffering from the lack of local admin.

I've been using it heavily for about 2 years now and have built some really useful stuff in Power Automate, I have found the HTTP connector to be the most generically useful because you can tie into any system you need to touch that you have API access into (I do lot feeding into/out of Service Now) but the Excel stuff is also really nifty. You can use it to scrape the contents of email report files recieved by email and then feed the data into other Excel files, trigger Teams messages based off the file contents, send off a modified version of the report to someone else, etc. Also if you like nicely organised directories having it save inbound email stuff into predefined folders with subfolders for year/month/day as appropriate is very satisfying.

Having spent a lot of time with it there are some really annoying limitations/gaps but overall I think its a really useful and simple tool that people (who don't have access/permissions needed for more powerful options) really should use more.