Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Dusk and Arland don't have this issue; their original builds run just fine on Switch and the DX/plus versions have the DLC built-in with a few other enhancements.

I think Sophie has the least interesting DLC and not very much DX-exclusive stuff so it probably gains the least from DX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Dusk and Arland don't have this issue; their original builds run just fine on Switch and the DX/plus versions have the DLC built-in with a few other enhancements.

I think Sophie has the least interesting DLC and not very much DX-exclusive stuff so it probably gains the least from DX.

Alright, that's good to know.

I had a bunch of technical issues with Arland (crashes, fullscreen either not working at all or being distorted, etc) on PC; is Dusk better in this regard?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ToxicFrog posted:

Alright, that's good to know.

I had a bunch of technical issues with Arland (crashes, fullscreen either not working at all or being distorted, etc) on PC; is Dusk better in this regard?

I haven't played any of the DX versions on PC, sorry

I did forget that Meruru specifically is crashy on switch though when I said they all ran fine

Rotoru
Sep 3, 2011

I haven't had any problems with the PC Arland or Dusk games aside from Escha eating it's config file. Everything else has been rock solid.

If I had to pick between trilogies I'd go for Dusk personally. Arland would be real good if Totori got a similar QoL upgrade to Rorona but that didn''t happen. It's OG Totori and for all that it was an amazing jump from OG Rorona, these days? It's, uhhh, showing it's age.

Also think I'm gonna skip Mysterious DX, those piccies are dire.

Bussamove posted:

It kind of fell off my radar for a while but now that it's on deep discount, how is Nelke? Atelier games are pretty much all giant crossovers anyway, so I could get behind the biggest crossover of them all.

Nelke seems to be very love it or hate it. The interactions are cute and good and personally I'd say it's a good turn-based management/city-builder game, but I'm weird like that. At the very least it's got the one-more-turn factor of a good turn-based thing, it's just such a huge outlier something like playing and enjoying Civilization is a better indicator for enjoying Nelke than liking the gameplay of any of the Ateliers.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
What new stuff does Eschatology DX have? I really liked that game, though I never properly completed it. May try out Ayesha since I never properly played that before.

Also I liked Shallies :(

EDIT: Also, I have been tempted to give Totori another shot even though I bounced off it back in the day.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
E&L Plus/DX just has the DLC bundled I think, no other changes

Rotoru
Sep 3, 2011

There's some superbosses as well I think? But basically yeah, but one of the DLC characters completely changes the progression of E+L to the point where it feels like a brand new thing. Yeah there's no other changes, but sticking the first DLC character in your party provides a hell of a change, to the point that it feels like a brand new game. Otherwise there's a new post-game area and a few post-game bosses, and the time limit doesn't change and is very capable of ruining your time if you aren't on the ball or NG+ing it.

Unlucky7 posted:

EDIT: Also, I have been tempted to give Totori another shot even though I bounced off it back in the day.

Please give Totori another shot, it's still the best narrative in an Atelier and one of the best in the whole PS3 gen and the freedom provided in progressing towards the goals provided is amazing.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Totori mod where the ending requirements are less bullshit, when

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Unlucky7 posted:

What new stuff does Eschatology DX have? I really liked that game, though I never properly completed it. May try out Ayesha since I never properly played that before.

Also I liked Shallies :(

in addition to the DLC bundled in, Eschatology DX also makes Nio playable and adds romance options for Escha and Logy's conversations

also at the very end, there's a scene where Flameu gives Escha and Logy the seed that they take to Stellard in Shallie +/DX

e: also Nio's finishing jingle is absolutely precious if you've finished the main plot of Ayesha

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 24, 2021

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Sophie was in a warriors game??

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rotoru posted:

Please give Totori another shot, it's still the best narrative in an Atelier and one of the best in the whole PS3 gen and the freedom provided in progressing towards the goals provided is amazing.

That's one of the ones I DNFed as well, I got a few chapters in but the rate at which new areas were unlocked and juggling events happening in both cities and the adventurer license requirements and and and...it just felt unpleasantly overwhelming in a way that Rorona and Meruru did not.

It actually reminds me of Atelier Elie in that respect, only more so.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 24, 2021

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Warriors AllStars, it's not one of the best

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
So am I right in believing that there seems to be little hand holding in Firis as far as where to go? The first quests in the home town I had to look hard to find the right random NPC to do the missions.

Now I'm outside and it's like "go down this road" and I run into various things and people but I feel like if I don't do those quests then I'll never find them again because the map doesn't like point me in any directions.

Is this going to get super confusing the further I get because I have to remember where random tiny NPC 400 is on a huge map to fulfill there quest?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Titanic posted:

So am I right in believing that there seems to be little hand holding in Firis as far as where to go? The first quests in the home town I had to look hard to find the right random NPC to do the missions.

Now I'm outside and it's like "go down this road" and I run into various things and people but I feel like if I don't do those quests then I'll never find them again because the map doesn't like point me in any directions.

Is this going to get super confusing the further I get because I have to remember where random tiny NPC 400 is on a huge map to fulfill there quest?

That + dealing with the bad fast travel system is basically the Firis experience in a nutshell.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Warriors AllStars, it's not one of the best

pretty cool mixes of sophie and totori music though

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I would definitely play Atelier Warriors. Mow down hordes of Puni with a single bomb!

You could even make it really cool mechanically by putting in a real crafting system like a traditional Atelier game. Make certain attacks use items, and let the player craft the items themselves. Rorona throws a bomb for the heavy attack of her L+L+H combo string, but if the player wants to freeze enemies they can equip an ice bomb they made. It'd make for a good game structure, too, just like regular Atelier games; go fight enemies to get raw materials, and then sit in the workshop for an hour trying to figure out what to do with them.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Firis is supposed to be about wandering around, looking for adventure, and always vaguely making your way southeast to your final destination

They weren't really concerned with making it easy to backtrack to old quests because you aren't supposed to be backtracking

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

cheetah7071 posted:

Firis is supposed to be about wandering around, looking for adventure, and always vaguely making your way southeast to your final destination

They weren't really concerned with making it easy to backtrack to old quests because you aren't supposed to be backtracking

Ok. So when I run into something I can assume that the stuff I'll need to do it is in that vicinity and I'll just learn the things I need to complete those quests. I guess that's ok but I feel like I'm going to forget a lot of random people along the way and miss some stuff.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Atelier Lydie and Suelle:

Again, Atelier Lydie and Suelle:

Me: BLASON OF FEROCITY ON. loving. EVERYTHING.

Also, the blacksmithing cutscene for making Alt's weapon is hilarious

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

The Titanic posted:

Ok. So when I run into something I can assume that the stuff I'll need to do it is in that vicinity and I'll just learn the things I need to complete those quests. I guess that's ok but I feel like I'm going to forget a lot of random people along the way and miss some stuff.

There’s no guarantee of that. For reference here’s basically what’s up. So you actually can’t do most things in the game until you actually beat it, including vehicles, quests, party members (iirc), and more. Once you complete your timed goal, you get unlimited time in the world to goof around and do quests and farm stuff. The game really, really wants you to focus down the main objective and then do all the fun atelier stuff after. Now, for the main quests for getting the letters and stuff, yeah, all that stuff should be fairly close, but don’t worry about the random side quests from villager #7 or whatever until you actually hit credits.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
https://www.koeitecmoeurope.com/mysteriousdx/info.html

Gust says that the grass not displaying in Sophie is a glitch, not a Switch performance thing

which is still pretty lol but at least they're working on a patch

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

numerrik posted:

There’s no guarantee of that. For reference here’s basically what’s up. So you actually can’t do most things in the game until you actually beat it, including vehicles, quests, party members (iirc), and more. Once you complete your timed goal, you get unlimited time in the world to goof around and do quests and farm stuff. The game really, really wants you to focus down the main objective and then do all the fun atelier stuff after. Now, for the main quests for getting the letters and stuff, yeah, all that stuff should be fairly close, but don’t worry about the random side quests from villager #7 or whatever until you actually hit credits.

Ah ok... so really the end game part is the bigger part of the game? And I'm just rushing to "beat" the times quest so I can take my time with everything else?

This is not the normal way games play but I'll go with it. :)

I only barely got by the town quest with like 7 hours left, so I felt really rushed and tense because I could barely find these drat npcs. Is this 1-year thing another mad rush and I shouldn't do any side quests because I'm going to lose the bigger game if I waste even a few days?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think I finished with like six months to spare. The year deadline is super super generous. I wouldn't agree at all that you're supposed to rush: just that, generally, you should be going forward, not backward.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

cheetah7071 posted:

I think I finished with like six months to spare. The year deadline is super super generous. I wouldn't agree at all that you're supposed to rush: just that, generally, you should be going forward, not backward.

I can live with that. :)

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm, I've got both the Dusk trilogy and Ryza installed, but I'm not sure which one I want to jump into first... are Ryza's QoL improvements big enough that they'd make Dusk feel like a slog in retrospect, or are the two different enough games that it doesn't really matter?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I would recommend starting with Atelier Ryza. This isn’t really because of the quality-of-life improvements in newer games; they definitely exist, but it’s not like the Dusk games feel terrible or anything. Rather, it’s because Atelier Ayesha has a time limit. It’s not particularly strict, but it’s open-ended in a way that can be stressful if you’re completely new to the series. Ryza doesn’t have a time limit, so you can learn the basic concepts of the series at your own pace, and you won’t be overwhelmed when you play Ayesha.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I played Ryza before Ayesha, and I completely agree.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ryza also has a drastically different combat system from every Atelier before it-- I personally like it, but it took a little bit to get the hang of after being so used to the more laid-back style of older ones. So going back to the older ones will be a more chill experience there as well.

Gust is pretty smart about making the alchemy system in each trilogy pretty distinct from the ones that came before, barring shared themes/aesthetics. The Dusk trilogies system (overall, each game is still slightly different from the others) is still one of my favorites.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just remembered a piece of advice I had for Firis:

there's going to be a point in the midgame where you're asked to make like 50 ingots. This is pretty annoying and it's where a lot of people bounce off the game. Rather than get there and have to annoyingly make all 50 all at once, I'd recommend that whenever you're in camp and need to heal up, instead of resting at the bed, just craft until your HP is back. Ingots obviously, but it's not a bad idea for other things too, with the way recipe leveling works.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
In Firis, there is fruit that looks very suspiciously like a butt.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

The butt fruit? Sue in L&S had thoughts on that fruit too.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
Sue is the only alchemist willing to make the brave and controversial statement that the butt fruit looks like a butt.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/04/atelier-ryza-2-lost-legends-the-secret-fairy-shipments-and-digital-sales-top-360000

iirc these figures are slightly worse than ryza 1, but still gangbusters compared to everything from before that?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bit better actually, Ryza 1 posted 350,000 September 2019 to Feb 2020 and Ryza 2 did that December to April this year.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

oh there we go, i thought ryza sold 400k

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It did in April last year but at that point it had been out for over 6 months

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I ended up splitting the difference between Ayesha & Ryza and starting Firis instead (I've already played Sophie, so thank god this wasn't my introduction to the series), and the game's structure is so weird. Thankfully I was warned in advance to ignore the sidequests and rush for the licenses and exam, but having you sprint through the early game only to backtrack once the time limit is gone is such a weird decision- I think this game would've leaped from 7/10 to 7.8/10 if it wasn't for that, because the idea of a giant, dumbass camping trip across the continent is actually a really neat one.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Omi no Kami posted:

So I ended up splitting the difference between Ayesha & Ryza and starting Firis instead (I've already played Sophie, so thank god this wasn't my introduction to the series), and the game's structure is so weird. Thankfully I was warned in advance to ignore the sidequests and rush for the licenses and exam, but having you sprint through the early game only to backtrack once the time limit is gone is such a weird decision- I think this game would've leaped from 7/10 to 7.8/10 if it wasn't for that, because the idea of a giant, dumbass camping trip across the continent is actually a really neat one.

you don't really have to do that

100%ing the sidequests before the exam is probably hard if not impossible but you hardly have to rush, you can do the interesting seeming ones

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

you don't really have to do that

100%ing the sidequests before the exam is probably hard if not impossible but you hardly have to rush, you can do the interesting seeming ones

Hmm yeah, the crunch probably isn't as bad as it feels, but I'm one of those people who dives into trying to max out all the dumb crud right away- case in point, I'm building the ship right now and even though I feel like I've been sprinting straight for the main quest stuff, I've burned through like 100+ days screwing around. It is fun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Marion from Atelier Ayesha is very cool and my best friend.