Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Google Butt posted:

just give him a full suit of some kind, I mean was the black panther serumed up?

Different serum, but yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Google Butt posted:

just give him a full suit of some kind, I mean was the black panther serumed up?

Yes, it was a major plot point!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I guess his new suit is big and weird enough that they can handwave it having some sort of vibranium servo whatyacallit technology that serves as a quasi-supersuit. It's a bit bulky to only be a set of wings and some padding

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
In a show where half the characters are trained in hand to hand combat or have the super soldier serum, I am happy that Marvel didn't just wave a magic wand and say that Sam was suddenly a fighting master.

I like that he seems to be going for a hybrid fighting style, and is using his wings to assist him in close combat.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It will never not be funny to me that in a world of super serum and robot arms and magic shields, a gun is just about as effective as guns always are. But don’t worry this guy has a metal disc that can cover about a third of his body, he’ll be fine. Time to charge into a hail of bullets!

Like all the super soldiers should’ve been carrying handguns on them instead of waiting for their enemies to get within sparring distance.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The series was just as much about Bucky getting past his history as it was Sam picking up Cap’s legacy. So why didn’t they change the name of the show at the end to “Captain America and Bucky?” I feel safe saying Bucky doesn’t want to continue calling himself Winter Soldier, right?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Frankenstyle posted:

Um. Steve punches a military jet to death, Falls 15 stories bouncing off girders, and prevents a helicopter from lifting off.

E: Yeah exactly, I'm responding to live with fruit saying Steve wouldn't be able to...
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

But he can't fly. He can stop a helicopter from taking off but he can't go up and knock the pilot out. And he could probably keep the truck from falling, though Walker couldn't, but would he be able to pull it back up? I doubt it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also, Sam can get better at fighting. Remember his actual military airforce role was target extraction and first aid. He would use the mobility and relative stealth of his suit to get behind enemy lines and retrieve valuable people and information and return it home.

In a different story, he'd be saving Tony Stark from the Ten Rings because that's what he does, gets people out of danger. After he hung up his wings he went on to do veteran support services, him not being an amazing fighter makes sense with his history, even as a super hero he's usually being asked to continue what he already did with his wings not something new.

Heck, he's best friends with the Winter Soldier, possibly future brother in law, he could absolutely ask Bucky to give him some actual fighting pointers. Also frankly he did fine this last episode for a guy who explicitly did not want to hurt anyone, just defend and get them on the ground and in a position to talk.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I actually hope that Bucky didn't completely screw up his chances with the woman from the restaurant. She gave him a look of understanding at the end

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Casnorf posted:

I kind of like that Sam can't fight. When you can't just punch your way out of problems you kind of develop other tools, which are super useful when you run across a problem where punching makes things immediately worse in every possible way. Sam even calls it out in his speech. He's just a guy who's willing to try.

I mean it is consistent, he does what Steve does but slower, then look at what Karli did, went too fast and died young without leaving a legacy for people who believe in her ideals but don't have the serum

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I kind of like the subtle change in what Captain America is, too. Steve inspired people, drew out their best. Sam challenges them to be better. "I'm just some dude, and I got this. What do you got?"

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

BrianWilly posted:

I will fight to the death in defense for Sam's strange balaclava. More funky comics attire, not less.

Do you actually like the balaclava, or just like that it's a funky looking comic outfit, out of interest?

mind the walrus posted:

The only thing that bummed me out a little is that Batroc specifically called out Steve to not use the shield during their fight, and Sam never got there. Like I get that he's not a super-soldier and not Steve and his whole gimmick as Cap is going to be more of a tech hybrid, but it still made me go "If you're trying to make me see Combat-Sam in a good light you are not succeeding." There's "this guy is different" and "this guy can't find his own solution" and they definitely went with the latter.

I didn't actually like that Steve put aside the shield when Batroc called him out, because you'd think Steve, who was mad at Natasha only a few minutes later for endangering the mission by going off and doing her own thing, would prioritize a little rather than let Batroc pull on his pride by insisting that they fight on his terms. I was actually kind of hoping Batroc would try the same thing and Sam would just brush him off in some way, because a win is a win regardless of whether the other person feels it's fair or not.

pr0p posted:

I didn't really like this series but I like the Captain America we got out of it. Falcon was boring AF before, but I feel like with the wings, dual drones, and the shield he has a really fun dynamic and they got some great action out of it. It's entirely possible I am forgetting some badass Sam moments from earlier. I mostly just remember Ant Man reaming him.

The more I think about it the more I don't like that Sam has the shield honestly. Not because I dislike Sam as Captain America, but because I don't think the shield suits who he is. Sam had come into his own as the Falcon prior to this, and the show included some really cool choreography with the wings; using them as shields, stabilizers, extra long limbs to attack with etc. The shield was just a thing Steve picked up and that suited who he was and who he wanted to be, but the wings suit Sam. The show made a bit of a deal out of people pointing out that the shield is a symbol, and that symbols are bad because they tend to obfuscate the people behind them etc. etc. and it seems like it might have made more sense for Sam to decide "yes, I can be a symbol of and for America, but that doesn't mean I'm Steve and need to carry his symbol". Have Wakanda give him some new vibranium wings in red, white and blue along with a new vibranium weave outfit (which they've presumably already done) and have the wings be his symbol as Captain America. A thing that suits him and defines him. Then he can give the shield to a museum, or more fittingly to Isiah to pass to Elijiah or whatever.

I know Sam used the shield in conjunction with the wings to form a dome shield to defend the pilot, but it honestly seems like something the wings could probably have been engineered to do on their own without needing a shield to cover the top, and that Sam used the shield to attack the helicopter before pulling the pilot out, but the drones seem like they could have just shot the windows out too. I don't know; I just don't like the way the shield looks with the wings I guess, and probably never will really, even if I become used to it. Sam launching the shield off his back to catch it just looked awkward to me for instance, even though I saw someone a few pages back say it looked cool; so obviously not everyone agrees with me.

I hope at least Captain America 4 gives him a new suit, since Steve's outfits varied a bit film to film too. It might get rid of that awful headpiece at the very least. I've looked at some covers with Sam Cap on them too, and while it's probably just shadows, some of them have the pants of his outfit in black rather than that light blue, and it looks a good bit better just with that one change.

live with fruit posted:

But he can't fly. He can stop a helicopter from taking off but he can't go up and knock the pilot out. And he could probably keep the truck from falling, though Walker couldn't, but would he be able to pull it back up? I doubt it.

Walker seemed like he was able to pull the truck up on his own, but it was a slow struggle and the other super soldiers attacking him stopped him from doing so. I imagine Steve could have managed it, since he seems to have been stronger in general and was just plain better trained to dispatch the other super soldiers without letting go even if his strength was actually equal.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 24, 2021

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I guess it planted the seed, but I'm sad there was no payoff for Sam leaving behind his old wings. This episode reveal made that less relevant, though, I guess.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

tsob posted:

Walker seemed like he was able to pull the truck up on his own, but it was a slow struggle and the other super soldiers attacking him stopped him from doing so. I imagine Steve could have managed it, since he seems to have been stronger in general and was just plain better trained to dispatch the other super soldiers without letting go even if his strength was actually equal.

But he can't fly.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

Splint Chesthair posted:

The series was just as much about Bucky getting past his history as it was Sam picking up Cap’s legacy. So why didn’t they change the name of the show at the end to “Captain America and Bucky?” I feel safe saying Bucky doesn’t want to continue calling himself Winter Soldier, right?

There was a pretty good comment on Reddit about the Winter Soldier name and why Bucky didn't move on from it, here.

Unrelated to the above, I also came across this pretty cool video of an alternate take on Bucky's Winter Soldier nightmare that didn't end up getting used:

https://twitter.com/falconsoldierTV/status/1385875171043463168

I think I would have really enjoyed this version too, though the flashback we got was pretty drat amazing as well.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

live with fruit posted:

But he can't fly.

He doesn't need to be able to fly to stop the truck.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

tsob posted:

He doesn't need to be able to fly to stop the truck.

But he does to stop the helicopter. Or a freefalling truck.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

live with fruit posted:

The truck was not in freefall though. Walker was attempting to stop it before it got to that point, and even Sam got to it just as it was tipping out in to freefall. I didn't mention the helicopter because that wasn't in question. Steve probably couldn't have stopped it, but he could probably have stopped the truck. I say probably, because the choreography could probably come up with some elaborate means for Steve to do it if it came down to it, but it certainly doesn't seem like something he could handle.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Steve would have held on to the bumper with one hand and wrapped some steel cable around it and got the people out, obviously

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Splint Chesthair posted:

I kind of wanted a Bucky name change but I felt like doing "Captain America and Bucky" would have felt condescending to Bucky. Like suddenly he's Sam's sidekick. And like they could have had Bucky take time to pick a new name or say what "White Wolf" means to him but really, I think "Winter Soldier" works at least for this. It doesn't take away from Sam's transition from Falcon to Captain America and it kind of has its value as Bucky's story was really about him coming to term with what he did and was as the Winter Soldier. Him finally confessing what he'd done and saying "He was killed... by the Winter Soldier... who was me" may seem stretched out but I think its basically the key of Bucky not running away or hiding it, just aaccepting it and finding a way to find peace with the fact that he's the Winter Soldier.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
This should be the sequel. Just everybody saying "Sam couldn't take Thanos" or "Steve would've done this" with everything.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There would be something very appropriate about the series that kind of clumsy went at the implications of a black man taking up the mantle of Captain America having a series followed up by everyone nitpicking him and comparing him unfavorably to the white guy he replaced, and him struggling with figuring out how to deal with the ones doing it in bad faith.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

Hollywood? Do you... not have family friends you call "uncles," and "aunts?"

Nope, and I don't know anyone that does. Maybe it's a coastal thing? I'm dead center of flyover country.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Floppychop posted:

Nope, and I don't know anyone that does. Maybe it's a coastal thing? I'm dead center of flyover country.

That is def not a coastal thing.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

live with fruit posted:

That's not the way this thing works. Steve Rogers doesn't have a wingsuit so he wouldn't have had to stop a helicopter from getting away; if he was the star of this show the bad guys would have escaped in a large truck so he could jump on and have a cool highway chase fight sequence instead.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Sisko best Captain.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

“Uncle” and “aunt” used for people who aren’t uncles and aunts is a large with complications family thing and not regional.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

MCU TV: Non-regional Uncle discussion

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
MCU TV: My Uncle works for SHIELD

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Walker was stopping the truck, then a bunch of super soldiers jumped him. If a bunch of them jumped onto falcon when he was saving it I don't know if he could save them as well. Probably though

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I literally jumped off my seat and fist pumped like a 10-year-old when Sam tossed the shield through the window mid air, into the Flag Smasher and then caught the shield on the rebound as he rolled into the building. There are things that Steve Rogers can do that Sam can't but there are some really loving amazing things that Sam can do that Steve could never.

Doesn't surprise me entirely that the internet didn't like this finale much, but I gotta say that seeing the title "Captain America and The Winter Soldier" appear on the screen near the end was dope as hell. A well-earned payoff in my humble opinion.

Sad that Batroc The Leaper is probably dead since he knew Carter was the Power Broker and she obviously didn't want any loose ends considering how Batroc tried to blackmail her.

Also I'm that goon that's looking forward to seeing more US Agent.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

IMO there were some pacing and other issues with the finale,, but overall I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Soul Glo posted:

the single most defining characteristic of steve rogers is that he kept getting up after taking an rear end whipping tho

I really thought we were going to get some sort of oblique "I can do this all day" reference when Karli tells him to stay down and he says "No."

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I hope Avengers 4 has a line about Sam actually getting paid.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Darth Brooks posted:

The end of WandaVision has her much more powerful, driven and possibly evil. Dead Vision is now alive White Vision.

The end of Captain America and The Winter Solder has Sam established as Cap, reveals Bucky attempts to heal the pain, both to himself and that he caused. It also is the origin for the less competent / more relatable USAgent.

I'll give you wandavision creating vision, but this show definitely reset everything to the status quo. Bucky already was at peace in Wakanda, Sam already has the shield and was assumed to be cap. It created another antagonist for a future captain American movie, but otherwise everything is exactly the same where it began

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Sam owns, bucky owns, I'm glad idiots who wanted Bucky to take the mantle because hes stronger than Sam walked away disappointed. I'm glad he didn't have to take the super soldier serum or even get offered it.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Floppychop posted:

A cultural focus on the nuclear family over extended family and wider community is very waspy.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I'm also glad (and hopeful) that the vibranium wings end the trend of Falcon being completely neutralized by just ripping his wings off

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

What Sam bring to the table is his ability to talk and empathise with people. Steve inspires people. Sam talks to them, finds a common ground and makes an attempt to reason with them. He was making headway with Karli and even getting her to move off her stance before Walker charged in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It is a very Black (American?, can't speak for the others in the diaspora) thing.

I have people I didn't know weren't actually related to me until late teens/adulthood who I call Aunt and Uncle, who babysat me/were always at family functions.