Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what is that kiwi thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

As far as I can tell it's just a weird kiwi thing. They've used it in a couple other animations before, and I agree with Nezuko that's it's creepy as heck

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Electric Phantasm posted:

Inosuke is gonna teach the gang swears and it's gonna rule.

Nah, Nezuko teaches everybody demon swears.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

US movie tickets are now on sale.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
This movie is going to make an incredible amount of money. Usually, anime movies get one or two showings at a scattering of theaters, and by me, there are at least 3 to 4 showtimes per day already scheduled out for two weeks past open. In comparison, The Wind Rises had a single slot per day for a weekend, and the AoT movie was shown all of twice.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I'd say it already succeeded quite well. If it has a "normal" run, it is going to be fairly nuts.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

I Am Fowl posted:

Nah, Nezuko teaches everybody demon swears.

Hhmm, hhmmm, hhmmppfff!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Lurking Haro posted:

Hhmm, hhmmm, hhmmppfff!

Nezuko, that's filthy!

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Managed to snag a pair of tickets for a 7PM showing in IMAX. I'm sure the limited seating due to social distancing has a huge part to play, but pretty much every IMAX showing on opening day is sold out for what seems like 200 miles around my house.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My local theater isn't doing an IMAX showing for it. Which is probably for the best as the regular theaters seats are further apart. Years ago they switched to all recliners for regular theaters but the IMAX still uses regular stadium seating.

Got my tickets for Thursday night.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
There were 40 year old men crying in my theater by the end.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lot of sloppy crying in the movie as well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For an 8pm Thursday showing with limited seating available there sure were a lot of people in my theater. Also at least one group had little kids in it which was a real head scratcher.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Like I know Tanjiro is an extra good boy but come the gently caress on. :yikes:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Our theater, which is in the middle of nowhere in the Midwest, had almost as many showings of this as they did for Mortal Kombat tonight. There were quite a few in my showing at 4:05pm of all times.

Movie owns. A little different than I expected but I really enjoyed it and thought it lived up to the hype for sure.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Managed to catch an IMAX screening of it last night.

Animation was incredible and I thought they did a great job bringing this arc of the manga to life. This isn’t a manga thread so I don’t want to spill any plot details, but if it’s playing near you and you’re comfortable with going to a theater at the moment I wouldn’t miss it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Good movie. I ain't crying, you're crying.

Also I'm crying.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

Good movie. I ain't crying, you're crying.

Also I'm crying.

Time to train

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

absolutely gutted that gorilla-grip chussy wasn't enough

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Saw the movie. It was alright, kinda just more Demon Slayer for good and for ill.

They totally should have let the gang kill the Third Rank at the end there. Letting him get away was an awful anticlimax, and I think the story can still make its point about how absurdly turbo strong the upper ranks are by having him defeat the strongest character we've seen to date if it takes a suicide gambit and a last minute assist from two guys he could demonstrably squish in a straight fight to just barely kill him afterwards.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I loved the movie. It was just demon slayer at movie length, the 2 hours went by so fast for me. It was just a lot of fun and the ending got to me hard too. Just good stuff

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I just watched this today, and I have a couple of questions. First, are the elemental effects actually happening, or is it more metaphorical like say Prince of Tennis where the ball catches on fire for effect? Also, how does he know the name of techniques for a style he never heard of before...is he just making it up?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

LorneReams posted:

I just watched this today, and I have a couple of questions. First, are the elemental effects actually happening, or is it more metaphorical like say Prince of Tennis where the ball catches on fire for effect? Also, how does he know the name of techniques for a style he never heard of before...is he just making it up?

My take has always been the elements are metaphorical. I can't think of an instance in either the manga or anime where the water is wet, the fire burns, etc. Zenitsu's attacks do make noise that sounds like thunder but that could be hand waved to be just the sound of his extremely fast movement.

As to point two what moments are you referring to exactly?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

LorneReams posted:

Unless created by a demon all elemental effects are just symbolic. The Hinokami Kagura was taught to him as child as dance. He had no idea it could be used for combat until recently.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
At the end

when he used that special fire technique to kill the train, he named it like he knew what it was. When he fought the spider and used these moves before, it appeared he was just mimicking what he saw and didn't really know what he was doing, but here he used what appeared to be a named move like he understood the forms.

I might be misunderstanding what happened though.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

LorneReams posted:

At the end

when he used that special fire technique to kill the train, he named it like he knew what it was. When he fought the spider and used these moves before, it appeared he was just mimicking what he saw and didn't really know what he was doing, but here he used what appeared to be a named move like he understood the forms.

My guess was that it's part of the fire god dance/breathing his dad taught him, that he in turn had learned from the original breath user

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah I haven't read the manga but I'm pretty sure Dad basically taught Tanjiro some/all of the Hinokami Kagura style attacks just the same way that Tanjiro would later learn the water style attacks, Dad just left out the part where you hold a sharp object while you do the move.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
gently caress yeah, glad this mini-arc was given a full movie to breath in instead of being crammed into three or four disjointed episodes. also it was comforting in these trying times we live in to be reminded that tanjiro is a good boy

when i found out the rengoku fight was getting the movie treatment i got super pumped, and i thought they stuck the landing. one of my favorite fights in the series

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
https://deadline.com/2021/04/mortal-kombat-demon-slayer-weekend-box-office-battle-1234742886/

Didn't quite beat Mortal Kombat but came pretty close. The fact it was almost a #1 movie and pulled nearly $20M is ridiculous. I mean, the movie owned, and I'm very glad for it but drat.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i know this isn't how it works at all, but it would be nice if they just said gently caress it, took some of the ridiculous movie earnings and made the rest of the series a gold plated extravaganza

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

LorneReams posted:

What the deal is with the Fire God Dance is a mystery throughout a good chunk of the series - it's clearly a sort of Breathing Style implied to have been intended to be passed down Tanjiro's lineage, and lacking formal training the "Forms" might just be techniques Tanjiro comes up with (and names on the spot), but this intuitive grasp of a different and highly effective Style, seemingly derived just from early childhood memories of his father, is meant to be abnormal even in-universe.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Goddammit Tanjiro, you just got that sword repaired

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
lol, Sony accidentally put the movie up to buy/rent on the PS4 store this morning so there are probably 100% perfect digital rips floating around now

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Fabricated posted:

lol, Sony accidentally put the movie up to buy/rent on the PS4 store this morning so there are probably 100% perfect digital rips floating around now

amazing lol, all of the big flashy scenes are up on YouTube which kicks rear end for anyone who has seen it already and wants to check em out again

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Fabricated posted:

LMAO

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm looking forward to checking that out when it shows up on Funi's service. I rewatched the show earlier in the month and I was reminded how much I really liked it the first time around.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Somebody has probably lost his job over that one, but his sacrifice won't be forgotten.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
▚▙▞▒▓░▒▙'s rips are just bad, i don't know why they bother

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Retromancer posted:

Goddammit Tanjiro, you just got that sword repaired
A later reaction to this is incredibly funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I just watched the movie and I forgot how much I miss Tanjiro from the anime.

Yeah, that ending was pretty true to the manga I feel like the main theme was that Rengoku probably knew on some level this would be his last fight and still did his best knowing he'd die. The final speech made me cry (again) since the VA did a great job with the trio and Rengoku himself in the movie.

Yes I totally watched the entire ending sequence to hear Giyu's one-line voiced.