Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Le Creuset stuff has shot up in price since I last looked, the 5.5 quart pots are $370 now. hosed up.

Like anything made of metal or wood has shot way up due to COVID stuff cutting supplies way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ah gently caress me today :suicide:

Ah well, we were due for a bad game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Look at what our beautiful boy did

https://twitter.com/MLBHRVideos/status/1385759781785415681?s=19

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

deGrom's two-hit, two-hit shutout tonight lowers his ERA to 0.31 and lowers his batting average to .545. He's still got a higher batting average than ERA.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
N: https://twitter.com/Rockies/status/1385751987233312769

V:Just cork everything. DINGERS FOR THE DINGER GOD

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Jake deGrom is good at baseball.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Chamale posted:

deGrom's two-hit, two-hit shutout tonight lowers his ERA to 0.31 and lowers his batting average to .545. He's still got a higher batting average than ERA.

He also has more RBI then he's allowed earned runs. It's unreal.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Of course deGrom will keep those numbers low so long as he keeps cowardly avoiding the juggernaut Chicago Cubs

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Why do we even have replay if you're going to allow dogshit calls like this to stand? This ball is foul by a foot.

https://twitter.com/FabianArdaya/status/1385802150618402821?s=19

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I can't grab the moment of impact on that lovely gif, and I can't tell if it's fair or foul, but that's an inch or two at most.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I can't grab the moment of impact on that lovely gif, and I can't tell if it's fair or foul, but that's an inch or two at most.

The other angle makes it look more clearly foul

I was gamedaying it so I didn't even see it until Good Dog posted it

e: But yeah "foul by a foot" isn't accurate, it's an inch or two at most like you said

Intruder fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 24, 2021

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
degrom today single-handedly convinced me that (mortal) pitchers hitting is good. i think if they implement universal DH they should have a grandfather clause like for the spitball where if a pitcher wants they can force their team to let them hit when they start

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Its funny how the Mariners getting Kikuchi felt like an intentional marketing pivot after not signing Ohtani. Instead of getting one of the most exciting players in the game, they got a guy with who serves up a handful of home runs every single outing while being entirely forgettable as a player.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Chamale posted:

Mike Trout has a .521 OBP and Vladimir Guerrero Jr. is right behind him with .513. It's so exciting to watch them both crushing the ball.

Also Joey Gallo is batting .222 with a .455 OBP, literally more walks than hits.

Every Vlad PA has become must-see for me. Sometimes, I will put on the game just to see what's going on, and if I see that he's coming up soon, I will just watch until he hits.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Kikuchi is good

Comparing him to Ohtani is silly. Ohtani is a titanic figure in the game

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Tweezer Reprise posted:

degrom today single-handedly convinced me that (mortal) pitchers hitting is good. i think if they implement universal DH they should have a grandfather clause like for the spitball where if a pitcher wants they can force their team to let them hit when they start

The DH is already optional per the rules, every couple years some manager goofs and an NL team loses their DH for a game. Of note: tje DH can replace ANY position, so you could have your DH replace your Mendoza-level SS on the days DeGrom is pitching.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Shrecknet posted:

The DH is already optional per the rules, every couple years some manager goofs and an NL team loses their DH for a game. Of note: tje DH can replace ANY position, so you could have your DH replace your Mendoza-level SS on the days DeGrom is pitching.

I remember a game between the Mariners and the A's a few years back where the As' catcher got injured or ejected in the first or second inning.

Their backup catcher was DHing.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I got to thinking about modern-day pitching peaks after deGrom's absolutely ridiculous start to the season. It seems to me like the best strings of pitching dominance we've seen in the modern era are Pedro, Maddux, and Kershaw. If deGrom puts together another historic season this year, where will his last few seasons rank? To me, it's better than Kershaw.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Shrecknet posted:

That's not true, the DH has to replace the pitcher. And even though deGrom is a great hitter for a pitcher, his career average is still below the Mendoza line.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

fawning deference posted:

I got to thinking about modern-day pitching peaks after deGrom's absolutely ridiculous start to the season. It seems to me like the best strings of pitching dominance we've seen in the modern era are Pedro, Maddux, and Kershaw. If deGrom puts together another historic season this year, where will his last few seasons rank? To me, it's better than Kershaw.

I think RJ's 99-02 is probably the best...rate stats were great AND he pitched an absolutely absurd number of innings. Pedro's rate stats 97-00 were better (I think the best ever in the history of the game, actually) but he pitched almost a full season's less innings than RJ. Maddux 92-95 is similar but just a hair behind Pedro. Kershaw is kinda tricky as he was crazy dominant from 11-17, but missed some time and his best 4 seasons in that window weren't consecutive. If you take his BEST 4 seasons in that window (11, 13, 14, 17 imo) he's right there with the others. I dunno if you'd consider Koufax to be modern-day but his last 4 seasons are also in this echelon....ERA+ was a bit behind the rest of the group but god drat the dude pitched almost 1200 innings in 4 seasons.

DeGrom's rate stats are in that ballpark, but missing most of a season last year brings down the counting stats a lot (not his fault obviously). If he puts up another two seasons-worth of 200 IP and ERA+ in the 180-200 range that'll put him squarely in the best peak of all time territory, though I don't think he'll pass RJ or Pedro.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 24, 2021

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Darvish owned the Dodgers last night

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1385808998994165762

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

:smith:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

AND they managed not to flub their offense all game!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

These overlays make hitting seem impossible.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Speaking of hitting being impossible

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/1385981266604986370

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/1385982084125237248

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Jesus gently caress this is wizardry.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

This makes me sad.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Some Numbers posted:

These overlays make hitting seem impossible.

Because hitting is impossible. Certainly in this day and age, with how loving absurd pitching has gotten, being a good hitter is arguably one of the most impressive sports feats possible.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

deGrom's early season performance made me put a 50 dollar bet on him winning the MVP

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

This is Mariano with his cutter but with 3 pitches which just lol

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

lmao

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

GalacticAcid posted:

Kikuchi is good

Comparing him to Ohtani is silly. Ohtani is a titanic figure in the game

I compared him in the timing and how he was marketed in Seattle, recognizing that Ohtani is far more interesting.

Even ignoring that, he's not good. He's a barely passable backend starter.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dodgers offense has been asleep for going on a week now, need to get their poo poo together.

https://twitter.com/espnstatsinfo/status/1385828040605769731?s=21

The funny thing about that list of Kershaw’s top 4 seasons it’s it didn’t even include his 300 strikeout year, 2015. The injuries make it tough to narrow down what his best was, even in the mvp year he missed time with the back stuff.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

bewbies posted:

I dunno if you'd consider Koufax to be modern-day but his last 4 seasons are also in this echelon....ERA+ was a bit behind the rest of the group but god drat the dude pitched almost 1200 innings in 4 seasons.

ERA+ is affected a lot by era. One reason why Unit and Pedro have such ridiculous ERA+ peaks is that they were pitching in a very high run scoring environment - Randy's 2.48 ERA from 1999-2002 is a 187 ERA+ while Tom Seaver from 1968-1972 had a 2.25 ERA that "only" went for a 157 ERA+.

Tom Seaver is someone who would be in these conversations if his age 27 and 28 seasons were flipped. 3 ERA and 3 K titles in 4 years, but his 1972 season was "only" a 115 ERA+.

If you go back to pre-liveball, Walter Johnson had a 4 year stretch from 1913-16with a 1.45 ERA/209 ERA+ in 1400+ innings. Lefty Grove 1929-32 would also be in the conversation, and he was pitching during the rabbitball era.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Why are you using “only” that way? Era+ helps us recognize that his good looking era was not actually as good

And not your post but maybe Koufax wasn’t as good as those other pitchers, no shame in that

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
It's in quotes because a 157 ERA+ over four full seasons is still loving great.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Wins over the Red Sox feel extra nice as retaliation for those loving awful Sam Adams cousin from baw-ston commercials

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

habeasdorkus posted:

ERA+ is affected a lot by era. One reason why Unit and Pedro have such ridiculous ERA+ peaks is that they were pitching in a very high run scoring environment - Randy's 2.48 ERA from 1999-2002 is a 187 ERA+ while Tom Seaver from 1968-1972 had a 2.25 ERA that "only" went for a 157 ERA+.

Tom Seaver is someone who would be in these conversations if his age 27 and 28 seasons were flipped. 3 ERA and 3 K titles in 4 years, but his 1972 season was "only" a 115 ERA+.

If you go back to pre-liveball, Walter Johnson had a 4 year stretch from 1913-16with a 1.45 ERA/209 ERA+ in 1400+ innings. Lefty Grove 1929-32 would also be in the conversation, and he was pitching during the rabbitball era.

I mean... it's adjusted for run environment. What it isn't adjusted for is the depth of the talent pool. So I don't think it is so much that 145 in a 5 run environment is less than 145 in a 3 run environment so much as it is a 145 immediately after expansion is less impressive that 145 when the talent pool is less diluted. No?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Rainout in Atlanta, 7-inning doubleheader tomorrow. Figure shaving a few innings off the bullpen workload and giving Smyly another day probably doesn't hurt them.

I'm like 500 miles away and still my first thought is always "wtf the weather's fine" when that happens.

e: yeah good reason
https://twitter.com/TruistPark/status/1386079015753093132

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Rainout in Atlanta, 7-inning doubleheader tomorrow. Figure shaving a few innings off the bullpen workload and giving Smyly another day probably doesn't hurt them.

I'm like 500 miles away and still my first thought is always "wtf the weather's fine" when that happens.

e: yeah good reason
https://twitter.com/TruistPark/status/1386079015753093132

I don't think there's a dry spot in Georgia right now. Holy cow, has it rained and stormed all day.