Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Any of the major rack companies are going to have something that holds 2 bikes and gets out of the way so you can access the hatch. It just depends on how much you want to spend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Dren posted:

dear bike thread, what hitch mount do I want? I have a minivan. I would like one that can tuck out of the way to let the lift gate open. I don't have carbon bikes so the ones that attach via the wheel are not a necessity. I'd like it to be possible to get at least 2 bikes on there.

1up or Kuat. The 1up tilts to and can stay in an intermediate position to allow your hatch to open, with the caveat that just because this works on my car doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll work on yours. I went for the 1up because it’s bulletproof and has a lifetime warranty, the parts are modular, it’s built in the US, and it just works very well. I also think the lock system would take marginally longer to destroy than the thin cables on other racks. It is very expensive. I expect it to outlast my car. A lot of people love the Kuat racks, and those seem great as well in limited experience. I like the integrated bike stand.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Drill the frame! Drill the frame! Drill the frame! Drill the frame! Do it with a linguini noodle.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Bud Manstrong posted:

1up or Kuat. The 1up tilts to and can stay in an intermediate position to allow your hatch to open, with the caveat that just because this works on my car doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll work on yours. I went for the 1up because it’s bulletproof and has a lifetime warranty, the parts are modular, it’s built in the US, and it just works very well. I also think the lock system would take marginally longer to destroy than the thin cables on other racks. It is very expensive. I expect it to outlast my car. A lot of people love the Kuat racks, and those seem great as well in limited experience. I like the integrated bike stand.

I have a Kuat (with the two bike extension, so 4 total) and it also tilts down. I also have, as a bonus, another piece that allows me to swing it horizontally out of the way

https://www.kuat.com/product/pivot-2/

Also not cheap. It doesn’t say so explicitly but I also don’t see any reason it wouldn’t work for a non-kuat 2” hitch rack

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
For the longest time my urban cycling kit was t shirt and cut off jean shorts over some under armour boxer briefs and it ruled but yeah I really appreciate a nice pair of bib shorts. Sometimes I'll wear super light mtb shorts over them if I don't want to be showing off my quads or tiny dil bulge.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

learnincurve posted:

Super steep hill, stock 700 38 hybrid tyres, had to stop because suddenly massive pot holes and just couldn’t get started again. I was mildly inconvenienced for 10 minutes and am really annoyed because the council side with the farmer when he blocks the other road entrance to the bike path and send you a “there is a alternative entrance on the bridle path fneh fneh fneh” email when you complain, and now he’s done this.

caltrops are cheap and easy to make, and tractor tires very expensive.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

regarding drop bars/flat bars, this is my favorite bike that I used in the winter

it's a 1974 Raleigh Super Tourer that was sold this way, and nobody bought it because unlike now, absolutely nobody wanted a flat bar bike with a lightweight frame and high gears back then.

the high gear on this is 53/14. cranking that in an upright, city bike posture is absolutely hilarious. it's like the bike equivilent of one of those souped up pickup trucks or something.

My brother had a Raleigh SuperCross (very similar) in the same color. He was working at the same summer camp that I attended in New Hampshire, quit, and left the bike with me (1971 or so). I proceeded to ride it on abandoned roads etc. ... great fun.

Also I have that seat (I think it's a B67) on my Brompton. Nice

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

bicievino posted:

I do get upset about cops on bikes using them as weapons tho.
guess that falls under the heading of lovely people on bikes.

Kinda why i dont like trek bikes

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

bicievino posted:

I do get upset about cops on bikes using them as weapons tho.
guess that falls under the heading of lovely people on bikes.

They like to accuse other people of using bikes as a weapon so they might as well follow suit.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
what do we think of the rockymount monorail? reviews are very positive and it’s a few hundred less than the big boys. 2 bikes, expandable to 3.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Did a ride. It was cold. My hands were aching.

Routed through a variety of old and/or closed roads that are returning to gravel/dirt after being paved and then neglected for many years. One runs you into this covered bridge which you otherwise have to park and walk to see. I’m sure it hasn’t been in operational use in a very long time.

This is all down in a valley near one of the only ski resorts in Ohio, so you get a lot of super steep “roads” like this leading out:

Afterward I got a bagel breakfast sandwich and all is right in the world.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I have a fancy looking saddle (only cost 25 bux tho) on my city bike and I worry some ill intended wanker is going to nick it.
Has anybody tried filling in the hex heads with glue or sealant or some other thing that is not permanent but is enough to deter somebody ?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Krogort posted:

I have a fancy looking saddle (only cost 25 bux tho) on my city bike and I worry some ill intended wanker is going to nick it.
Has anybody tried filling in the hex heads with glue or sealant or some other thing that is not permanent but is enough to deter somebody ?

Cheap Chinese gel cover, brown felt tip pen to make mysterious stains round the stitching.

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008
This afternoon my Garmin thought I would be proud to be informed that my new maximum heart rate is 190, but taking into account...

1. I'm 48 years old
2. It was a pretty relaxed bike ride
3. My previous maximum record was 182 in a sprint at the end of a (very amateur) criterium, and...
4. I had upped my Ritalin* dosage as directed earlier in the day today,

...I'll instead take that notification as a "loving YIKES, dude!"

(* = Basically a legal amphetamine)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Check out your average heart rate stats over a year, it’s going up or down in a diagonal or you see random spikes then go to doctor, do not pass go do not collect £200.

(It’s how they knew my dad needed a pacemaker)

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

learnincurve posted:

Check out your average heart rate stats over a year, it’s going up or down in a diagonal or you see random spikes then go to doctor, do not pass go do not collect £200.

(It’s how they knew my dad needed a pacemaker)

Thank you. I'm pretty sure it's mainly the medication and my average HR is pretty stable over the last few years, but I'll keep that in mind.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Hoopy Frood posted:

This afternoon my Garmin thought I would be proud to be informed that my new maximum heart rate is 190, but taking into account...

1. I'm 48 years old
2. It was a pretty relaxed bike ride
3. My previous maximum record was 182 in a sprint at the end of a (very amateur) criterium, and...
4. I had upped my Ritalin* dosage as directed earlier in the day today,

...I'll instead take that notification as a "loving YIKES, dude!"

(* = Basically a legal amphetamine)

Was it a single point at 190? A spike then a short plateau, then a spike back down? How does the rest of your HR plot look?

I didn't know I had SVT until it happened on the trainer. Outdoors I didn't feel the flutter because I wasn't looking for it. My HR has hit 230bpm during an episode. It feels...interesting.

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

TobinHatesYou posted:

Was it a single point at 190? A spike then a short plateau, then a spike back down? How does the rest of your HR plot look?

I didn't know I had SVT until it happened on the trainer. Outdoors I didn't feel the flutter because I wasn't looking for it. My HR has hit 230bpm during an episode. It feels...interesting.

Thanks for the advice (and wow, that graph looks scary!). I looked into it and I can see it was a gradual increase and happened just after I had done (by my humble standards...) a lot of watts while climbing a hill. I felt fine throughout the whole ride, so I think it's just a direct result of increasing my medicine dosage.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
FYI for anyone in the area. From the Yosemite Daily Report: The Glacier Point Road is now open to Administrative Traffic and bicycles all the way to Glacier Point. Watch out for crews that still may be doing road and tree work and ensure the gate at Chinquapin is closed and locked. The road is not open to visitor vehicles.

I'm waiting for Tioga Pass Rd to open to bikes (hopefully in the next couple of weeks) to ride that 100 mi out and back.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

spf3million posted:

FYI for anyone in the area. From the Yosemite Daily Report: The Glacier Point Road is now open to Administrative Traffic and bicycles all the way to Glacier Point. Watch out for crews that still may be doing road and tree work and ensure the gate at Chinquapin is closed and locked. The road is not open to visitor vehicles.

I'm waiting for Tioga Pass Rd to open to bikes (hopefully in the next couple of weeks) to ride that 100 mi out and back.

That sounds like a lush ride; if anyone's in the area please post a trip report

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
I have a Kuat 2x rack and it’s very solid; I needed something immediately, otherwise I would have bought a 1Up because it has less plastic parts to weather.

Heading with friends to Yosemite this summer and would love to bring bikes, but we are doing a 4 day backpacking trip and that is just asking for trouble with bikes on the car.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Krogort posted:

I've also read you can glue a ball bearing into the hex head.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Bajaha posted:

(from the AI chat thread)
+1 Iceland is awesome. And the annual temperature ranges from -20°C to +20°C so it's never really cold or really hot, although and cold and humid will chill you you your bones like nothing else.

Also, some of the best roads and not-roads I've ever driven on.

meltie posted:

tbf this looks like an awesome cycling adventure
<calling e.pilot and cat>

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

learnincurve posted:

Yeh there is no right or wrong way to ride bikes, if I have a long standing gripe I just wish there was less pressure on the more casual riders with the clothes.

Saw the most miserable elderly woman in Lycra when we were riding to go shopping on Monday, husband on normal bike, she was on an ebike, and we clearly kicked off round 2 of a massive argument as we went past because we heard her screaming “SEE THEY ARE WEARING JEANS” at him.

Lol I just got back from a 2.5 hour bike ride on my Brompton on a canal gravel trail where I wore just regular rear end jeans and a tshirt.

I’ll fight anyone who tells me I need to use the right bike or wear spandex to ride a bike.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

I’ve thought about doing an on-road circumnavigation or an offroad ride through the interior. But the logistics of shipping a bike there makes it a bigger headache to plan out.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Krogort posted:

You could swap out the hex bolt for a security one, there's loads of different ones if you google them

A torx bolt might even do if that's too much effort though

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

On a Shimano 105 R7000 front derailleur, there's a little plastic tab that the end of the cable goes into that's clipped onto the top, to keep the excess cable out of the way. Anyone know what it's called? Mine broke and the cable's sticking out and keeps getting in the way of my crank arms.

e:

this thing

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 25, 2021

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
In case anyone's wondering if Pure cycles makes good frames:

Eh, not so much. Look at dem seatstays. When the rear wheel is lined up with the seat tube, it's off-center one way in the seatstays and the other way in the chainstays. There's no signs of stress or cracks on the welds or tubes, so I think it was made that way. I'll get a better look when the paint's stripped off. I picked up paint stripper, gun blue, and clear coat this afternoon, but didn't have time to get that far after stripping the components and cleaning everything.

Also, a warning sticker about bicucling:

I mentioned it in the "show us your bicycle" thread, but this thing needs a name. I had some suggestions there, solid options:

bicievino posted:

Frianchi
Pizza Ship
[Pb] u jelly?

Given the *Ahem* quality of the contstruction, I'm was thinking of giving it a big ol "CROCTOPUS" on the downtube and "BOTE" on the top tube. However, given the misspelled warning label, I'm tempted to make the "brand" either "croctopus" or "bote," and the model name "bicucle" I'd still like to figure out a headtube badge too.

Another thought was to make it a Beyonci Super PissedOff.

It's going to be too cold and snowy tomorrow to work on it and I won't have time during the week, so there's time to consider it and for other suggestions.

If nothing else, the $10 aero bars I got are nice:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

In case anyone's wondering if Pure cycles makes good frames:

Eh, not so much. Look at dem seatstays. When the rear wheel is lined up with the seat tube, it's off-center one way in the seatstays and the other way in the chainstays. There's no signs of stress or cracks on the welds or tubes, so I think it was made that way. I'll get a better look when the paint's stripped off. I picked up paint stripper, gun blue, and clear coat this afternoon, but didn't have time to get that far after stripping the components and cleaning everything.

You bold enough to drill cold-set the stays to try to get the rear wheel better aligned?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

On a Shimano 105 R7000 front derailleur, there's a little plastic tab that the end of the cable goes into that's clipped onto the top, to keep the excess cable out of the way. Anyone know what it's called? Mine broke and the cable's sticking out and keeps getting in the way of my crank arms.

e:

this thing

Y5ZS22000 Link Cover

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

numberoneposter posted:

i get a sensible chuckle out of the super commuters in 3 layers of safety yellow rain proof showerpass and eye blinding 3000 lumen lights in broad daylight on their full pannier full fender 60 lbs bikes while i commute in a shirt and tie and dress shoes on my cervelo

but whatever those slowpokes ride every day probably more frequently if less distance than i do, and some of them crush pretty good distance on their commutes

the people i really dont like are the unrestricted/throttle e-bikes and scooters riders (whatever happened to segways?)

they can get hosed

I don't laugh at anyone on a bike, even an e-bike! Good on them for being one less car on the road. Also, there's no shame in being safe, and you also have no idea how far some of of these people are commuting. Not everyone can ride in a shirt and tie and show up presentable!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

EvilJoven posted:

Y5ZS22000 Link Cover

what about the equivalent part for ultegra r8000, mine is missing too

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

BraveUlysses posted:

what about the equivalent part for ultegra r8000, mine is missing too

It's the same piece of plastic for R7000/R8000/R9100.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

TobinHatesYou posted:

That is not acceptable.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

TobinHatesYou posted:

namaste

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

frogbs posted:

I don't laugh at anyone on a bike, even an e-bike! Good on them for being one less car on the road. Also, there's no shame in being safe, and you also have no idea how far some of of these people are commuting. Not everyone can ride in a shirt and tie and show up presentable!

It was directed specifically at the unrestricted ebike crowd, who are generally a menace wherever they go because they're essentially riding an electric motorbike at that point (usually on a busy MUP because, of course)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

frogbs posted:

Not everyone can ride in a shirt and tie and show up presentable!

Outside of very specific town centres on a nice day no one in the UK can ride a suit and tie and show up with it not covered in dust and/or mud lol. Happily, walking round the supermarket with muddy clothes has been made acceptable by generations of builders though.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

That is not acceptable.

Did you break yours. :buddy:

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
my front wheel got jacked last night, two days after i put a new tire on it.

So I’m looking for a new wheel. Doesn’t have to be anything fancy, I just want something of equal or slightly greater value as the oem—the bike’s a 2020 Giant Contend. Any suggestions?

e: it is nice knowing how much of an awkward pain in the rear end it was to remove that wheel. he had to pop off a brake pad to get the 32c tire out of the caliper.

Head Bee Guy fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
pain in the rear end but easier than doing honest work

i was driving last week and watched a dude ride a bike while carrying a second one on his back, yeah i'm sure that was your bike buddy