Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Big Bizness posted:

Is there anything we can do to help India? Any medical organizations we can donate to, etc? Is it a funding / resources issue or just too many people not social distancing?

Donate to whoever is opposing Modi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

CBC Calgary posted:

The AstraZeneca-Oxford COVID-19 vaccination efforts gained enormous traction when eligibility was widened Tuesday to include healthy Albertans ages 40 to 55, as many gen-Xers inundated vaccination sites and celebrated by posting vaccination selfies. Prior to that, when it was only open to eligible Albertans ages 56 to 64, thousands of vaccination appointments went unused amid reports of vaccine hesitancy among the older cohort.

loving useless boomers

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

airplane air is completely filtered every few minutes so I don't know if i'd call it a tin can of viruses.

Airports are a cesspool in general, just wear a mask if you're hopping on a plane, and until you leave the airport

would've avoided us much trouble

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Lolie posted:

Japan has declared another state of emergency.

Understandable, the Olympic Torch relay itself has already fired off a bunch of spreader events.
I really hope they'll call the Olympics off sooner rather than later.

I worry that the vaccination numbers will lead to false security, and they end up pushing through and having the Olympics regardless, and it just ends up being a superspreader event for some vaccine-resistant strain that spontaneously popped into existence right before.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

There was some initial weird reporting about India saying there was something in their environment and/or diet, constitution etc that made them more able to fight off infection but I don't think anything ever got proven about it (which I personally didn't believe). Bit in the unlikely event that was true maybe it's the "double mutation" variant they found over there now.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Scaramouche posted:

There was some initial weird reporting about India saying there was something in their environment and/or diet, constitution etc that made them more able to fight off infection but I don't think anything ever got proven about it (which I personally didn't believe). Bit in the unlikely event that was true maybe it's the "double mutation" variant they found over there now.

All through last year people were wondering why this or that state in the US wasn’t exploding with cases. Eventually, they got their turn. Or they didn’t and are still waiting for it.

India wasn’t doing anything all that special to avoid blowing up until now. There were probably a number of factors that let them get off easy in 2020. I certainly don’t think Indians had some special immunity that required a brand new variant to blow through.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like Japan reaffirming their commitment to doing the Olympics in a little over two months while simultaneously declaring a state of emergency just perfectly encapsulates the hosed up time we're all living in

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Scaramouche posted:

The most likely factor is that India's population is much younger than populations in western nations so they would be less susceptible to Covid.

Now it sounds like the Indian variant is pretty ok at making younger people sick, which I supposed would be an expected evolutionary outcome in a younger population.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

gay picnic defence posted:

The most likely factor is that India's population is much younger than populations in western nations so they would be less susceptible to Covid.

Now it sounds like the Indian variant is pretty ok at making younger people sick, which I supposed would be an expected evolutionary outcome in a younger population.

There was a study published back in Febrary about Karnataka - a province in India, with some impressively high seroprevalence levels:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2776292 posted:

The adjusted proportion of positive IgG test results ranged from 22.8% to 53.1% across rural and 30.9% to 76.8% across urban areas (Figure). Overall rural-, urban-, and statewide-adjusted proportions were 37.4% (95% CI, 32.9%-41.8%), 45.6% (95% CI, 38.1%-53.1%), and 39.6% (95% CI, 35.7%-43.4%), respectively.

It was claimed last year that the the low mortality numbers in india were due to the much younger demographics and lack of comorbidities, and the widespread infection resulted in substantial immunity. Their immunization plan included testing slums and urban areas and skipping them if seroprevalence was > 70%.

Anyways, natural immunity has done gently caress all as the

IndiaToday posted:

Covid-19 situation in Karnataka uncontrollable now

Seems very likely that there is no cross immunity from wildtype to B.1.617 - just like how there is no cross immunity from wildtype to the SA and Brazil variants.

That natural immunity evasion is from E:484K for B.1.351 and P.1 - no one really knows much about the Indian variant which has E:484Q instead.

Either those seroprevalence numbers were garbage, or this is a massive reinfection.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Blitter posted:

Seems very likely that there is no cross immunity from wildtype to B.1.617 - just like how there is no cross immunity from wildtype to the SA and Brazil variants.

That natural immunity evasion is from E:484K for B.1.351 and P.1 - no one really knows much about the Indian variant which has E:484Q instead.
Sooo in lay terms, scientists now think that people can catch any number of these variants because catching one doesn't provide immunity to the other? Or is the diminished immunity only antibody and not T-cell?

Because I've been wondering what's stopping one of these variants from becoming the dominant strain in somewhere like the US. I'm hoping the answer isn't "time."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zugzwang posted:

Sooo in lay terms, scientists now think that people can catch any number of these variants because catching one doesn't provide immunity to the other? Or is the diminished immunity only antibody and not T-cell?

Because I've been wondering what's stopping one of these variants from becoming the dominant strain in somewhere like the US. I'm hoping the answer isn't "time."

Well it’s not quite as bad as “any number of these variants”. Recovery the wild type or with B.1.1.7 does not protect from B.1.351, but if a person is instead hit by B.1.351 first, then they probably won’t get B.1.1.7. Probably.

Most of the “pairings” are unknown. Does immunity cross over between the South African and Indian strains? We don’t know. Maybe a person can catch both in either order. Maybe it’s more likely they only get the disease once, regardless of order.

B.1.1.7 (“the British variant”) is the dominant strain in the U.S. because it’s more infectious. In an immunologically naive population, it runs up the score.

There is a distinct possibility that as the U.S. population becomes increasingly resistant to B.1.1.7, through recovery from infection and through vaccination, that B.1.351 or another antibody‐resistant strain could dominate. Watch Israel. They’re a few months ahead of the U.S. on this.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 24, 2021

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
I don't know if these pics belong here or in the cursed images thread.

There were more cars behind me too.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I still keep hearing dumbasses being surprised that CVS and Walgreens and McDonald's aren't open 24 hours right now.
They haven't been for loving years if ever.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1385612592329134082

First time those dumb perspex sneeze guards have actually saved someones life.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Airports are a cesspool in general, just wear a mask if you're hopping on a plane, and until you leave the airport

would've avoided us much trouble

Read that study again that was linked: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/27/3/20-4714_article

quote:

Combined, these data present a likely scenario of >4 SARS-CoV-2 transmission events during a long-haul flight from Dubai to Auckland. These transmission events occurred despite reported in-flight use of masks and gloves.

We don't know how many would have been infected if the index patient had not worn a mask, but it would probably be more. I've said it before in this thread and it bears repeating: Masks will mitigate risk to some extent but are not very effective at preventing spread if you spend extended time together indoors. Avoiding others is the only way to be completely safe. Do not go to airports, do not fly, do not go on long bus or train journeys.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

There is a distinct possibility that as the U.S. population becomes increasingly resistant to B.1.1.7, through recovery from infection and through vaccination, that B.1.351 or another antibody‐resistant strain could dominate. Watch Israel. They’re a few months ahead of the U.S. on this.
Yeah, this is what I'm doing. Israel has seen some evidence that B.1.351 breaks through the Pfizer vaccine to some extent, but to what extent, it's hard to say. Meaning that the vaccine doesn't appear to be as protective against it as it is against wild type or B.1.1.7, but it still might have some efficacy. Hard to say.

Fingers crossed on the booster shots for B.1.351/P.1. My biggest worry right now is that everyone thinks that "one vaccine == the pandemic's over," we open all the floodgates, the antibody-resistant variants come whooshing in, and the nightmare begins again.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Read that study again that was linked: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/27/3/20-4714_article

We don't know how many would have been infected if the index patient had not worn a mask, but it would probably be more. I've said it before in this thread and it bears repeating: Masks will mitigate risk to some extent but are not very effective at preventing spread if you spend extended time together indoors. Avoiding others is the only way to be completely safe. Do not go to airports, do not fly, do not go on long bus or train journeys.

Also do not be randomly picked to do jury service for 2 weeks indoors with a bunch of randoms, which you can't legally get out of, after spending the entire year not going out of your house when you can possibly avoid it.

*Opens post*

poo poo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

legooolas posted:

Also do not be randomly picked to do jury service for 2 weeks indoors with a bunch of randoms, which you can't legally get out of, after spending the entire year not going out of your house when you can possibly avoid it.

*Opens post*

poo poo.

Show up in a full‐face respirator and hope they kick you for being allegedly unhinged.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

loving useless boomers

I'm not too sympathetic to boomers at this point. If they want to risk getting killed by it, fine, gently caress em.

EDIT: Apparently the Indian government's priority is covering up the fact that those posts on twitter are making it look bad.

https://www.reuters.com/world/india/india-asks-twitter-take-down-some-tweets-critical-its-covid-19-handling-2021-04-24/

quote:

The Indian government asked social media platform Twitter (TWTR.N) to take down dozens of tweets, including some by local lawmakers, that were critical of India’s handling of the coronavirus outbreak, as cases of COVID-19 again hit a world record.

Twitter has withheld some of the tweets after the legal request by the Indian government, a company spokeswoman told Reuters on Saturday.

The government made an emergency order to censor the tweets, Twitter disclosed on Lumen database, a Harvard University project.

In the government's legal request, dated April 23 and disclosed on Lumen, 21 tweets were mentioned. Among them were tweets from a lawmaker named Revnath Reddy, a minister in the state of West Bengal named Moloy Ghatak and a filmmaker named Avinash Das.

Vernii fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 25, 2021

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Zugzwang posted:

Yeah, this is what I'm doing. Israel has seen some evidence that B.1.351 breaks through the Pfizer vaccine to some extent, but to what extent, it's hard to say. Meaning that the vaccine doesn't appear to be as protective against it as it is against wild type or B.1.1.7, but it still might have some efficacy. Hard to say.

Fingers crossed on the booster shots for B.1.351/P.1. My biggest worry right now is that everyone thinks that "one vaccine == the pandemic's over," we open all the floodgates, the antibody-resistant variants come whooshing in, and the nightmare begins again.

I will gladly get a booster every year if needed, and this is from someone who has never even gotten a flu shot.

My current struggle is trying to decide which risks are worth taking now that I’m vaccinated... Things I miss the most: travel and the gym. I could care less about restaurants and bars just let me do my squats in a gym and fly somewhere cool!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

liz posted:

I will gladly get a booster every year if needed, and this is from someone who has never even gotten a flu shot.

My current struggle is trying to decide which risks are worth taking now that I’m vaccinated... Things I miss the most: travel and the gym. I could care less about restaurants and bars just let me do my squats in a gym and fly somewhere cool!

Get your flu shot.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

liz posted:

Same, even if it means two days of considerable illness afterwards. And yeah get your flu shot too while you're at it.

legooolas posted:

*Opens post*

poo poo.
I got called for jury duty recently :negative:. It's in a few weeks. At least in my area, you can check online ahead of time whether you even need to come in (last time I didn't). Plus, I'm double-vaxxed.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I posted in the other thread about my second dose Pfizer side effects, but I would much rather go through this and then have the possibility of having to use a ventilator or rely on oxygen for a year.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

liz posted:

I’m definitely traveling after my second dose next week. I’m over it.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Get your flu shot.

Edit: Although in America if you are here it's a bit late, get it in September or October.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 25, 2021

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/SharnelleVella/status/1386241061928857600

Impressive if true, though I wouldn't be surprised if there was actually some college football game in Texas or whatever that just went ahead and held huge events last summer.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Edit: Although in America if you are here it's a bit late, get it in September or October.

Yeah I didn't mean now. I usually get mine in October. When I go to to the local VA office they'll just ask me around that time if I want one and I say yes. They're free at tons of places.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nunsexmonkrock posted:

You can generally get them through June in the northern hemisphere. That’s when most of the shots expire.

It’s best to get them in September or October so they take effect for the worst of the flu season, but it’s worth picking them up even late.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like Japan reaffirming their commitment to doing the Olympics in a little over two months while simultaneously declaring a state of emergency just perfectly encapsulates the hosed up time we're all living in

this might just be me and this might be a super controversial take and the public reception to what I am about to say will probably be the cause of my own lynching and the subsequent flaying of all of my skin that will ensue but in imo the olypmics arent a good idea this year

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Plant MONSTER. posted:

this might just be me and this might be a super controversial take and the public reception to what I am about to say will probably be the cause of my own lynching and the subsequent flaying of all of my skin that will ensue but in imo the olypmics arent a good idea this year

why would anyone be mad at you for the truth

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Plant MONSTER. posted:

They got savagely owned on these olympics.

Going forward with the events with 0 spectators so all that funding and development with absolutely no payoff and just a bunch of crippled athletes to show for it.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Plant MONSTER. posted:

True. But on the other hand, money.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Also, the little Japanese Olympic mascots should at the very least, be drawn with masks on. Come on, people.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

why would anyone be mad at you for the truth

uh I have some bad news about the past year

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Zugzwang posted:

I might be mistaken but i'm sure I heard from some authority or another that it would be very unlikely for the vaccine to have no efficacy at all. I guess its how much you trust the 'experts' at this point. Who knows if they're just playing it down because they're never going to admit this crisis and capitalism don't mix. For what it's worth it was stated that variants will 'chip away' at resistance and not be a 'work' 'doesn't work' binary outcome.

MarcusSA posted:

I was over it but i'm waiting to see how this India thing pans out. If it really is just wrecking young people we're back into 'collapse of society' times which means governments will have to react and... yeah. We're still ahead because we have working vaccines that can be adapted for variants but the battle has only just begun. India and the West did not use the time wisely and we're going to get a whole lot of poo poo new variants before we truly have this thing tamed. Short-term thinking is going to make this takes half a decade to stabilize. It sucks but we're on the right track.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 25, 2021

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

you can be "over it!!!!" and still be respectful of the fact that we aren't in a position globally or in the US to go back to casual travel yet and while that sucks, being "over it" doesn't change your risk factor or the fact that you could kill people.

Regarde Aduck posted:

It sucks but we're on the right track.

so long as people stay home while needles go in arms, yep. but everybody's over it and wants to go to applebees and disney world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUZKkc7zAHo

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I’m in Sweden and it’s kinda wild to see. Pretty much nobody is wearing a mask anywhere. Restaurants and bars have to close at 830 but that’s about it.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I'm of the mind of gently caress it i can live in this room for another 6 months while everyone in this city plagues themselves

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I had to travel for work so I had the cool decision of lose my house after no work for 18 months or maybe die. gently caress it. In for a penny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Well, I'm hosed. I've been on anti-metabolite immunosupressant medication for years. I guess I'll be able to go out in public maybe in the 2025-2030 range if I'm lucky. Especially living in a midwest state where nobody gives a gently caress.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2777685