Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Was SNL part of painting Bannon as Trump's puppetmaster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Feldegast42 posted:

SNL seems like the kind of show that always has its best seasons whenever you are in high school or college

Someday I'll go back to high school and then SNL will markedly improve

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

the only good snl skits are the digital ones

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Watch Norm McDonald's weekend update rants in the 90s when he openly accused the Clintons of personally murdering people and committing huge amounts of theft and fraud re: Whitewater

Norm saying "X was the guy who killed Vince Foster" wasn't ever a serious accusation. They were tossed in at the end of a silly political story that otherwise wouldn't have a punchline.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Is it a rule that every D&D thread has to have goons competing to see who hates SNL more?

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Can’t fault them for the honesty of their name at least

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Raruna posted:

Your statement would hold any water if it hadn't been foreign interference that greatly aided in building the conditions under which Bolsonaro was elected in the first place :)!!!
When I say it has everything it needs, I mean that Brazilians are neither any worse or any better than any other country, and that if our government and economy were not at the mercy of the whims of foreign governments and capital, we would not be where we are today.

So yes. Brazil has everything it needs to succeed. Provided the US government does not just decide to gently caress with our poo poo every couple decades because it thinks it knows better.

You have to understand that the average American is so thoroughly hypnotized by the idea of democracy and their own vision of the US as a benign power that they don't have the mental framework to process something like Lava Jato or even US-backed lawfare as a general concept, and they're going to say stupid poo poo on the subject because they don't know any better

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

You have to understand that the average American is so thoroughly hypnotized by the idea of democracy and their own vision of the US as a benign power that they don't have the mental framework to process something like Lava Jato or even US-backed lawfare as a general concept, and they're going to say stupid poo poo on the subject because they don't know any better

Pretty much. Saint Obama was literally caught spying on our last labour-aligned president and everyone, including us, let it slide, because what are you gonna do.

Then a wave of judicial coups spread all over Latin America, starting with Honduras, then Paraguay, Brazil, Bolivia with the US just nodding approvingly at how the wogs were finally "fighting corruption seriously", as long as they crushed unions and put everything on the auction block.

There are a lot of reasons the region developed so much in the early 2000's, but a big one among them was that the US was too busy with its bogus War on Terror to care about us as it used to.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Xand_Man posted:

Was SNL part of painting Bannon as Trump's puppetmaster?

Nah they just made Bannon a guy in a Grim Reaper costume, I don't think they painted Trump as the dumb puppet. At least not the way they did with Bush and Cheney.

The thing about the SNL Trump stuff is that they quickly realized that [i]Trump himself was watching[i] and tweeting angrily about it the next day so they just went full into making GBS threads on him regardless of how actually funny it was. Alec Baldwin did a terrible impression but he got Trump extra mad so he stayed. Honestly if I had a direct audience with Trump I'd do the same thing.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Normy posted:

Kyle Mooney is good

this is correct. anything on SNL involving him, beck beckett and especially them together is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4csRoGP0V8

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Push El Burrito posted:

Some folks haven't seen the My Hungry Guys trilogy.

A good episode of SNL has, like, 20% good sketches in it. It has always been that way.

Go, go, go, touchdown!
Go, go, go, fumble!

The Sean fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 25, 2021

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

SNL is like some poo poo you did for entertainment before they invented entertainment like "repeatedly smacking a ball tied to a stick" or "poke in the eye game."

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Once upon a time there were two choices for entertainment: A movie reel of a train coming at the camera and also Saturday Night Live.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
SNL just seems so drat antiquated as a concept anymore that when they make a skit that's actually funny it feels like an accident.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

...they couldn't get Grimes too?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Abner Assington posted:

SNL just seems so drat antiquated as a concept anymore that when they make a skit that's actually funny it feels like an accident.

Lol what does this even mean. Agree to misagree.

Edit: also snl pumps out a shitton of talent. I always love hearing people say "the current cast sucks" and then they love the actors and writers movies and TV shows years later without realizing they were on snl.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 25, 2021

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

lol grimes is an anime fascist

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Saturday Night Live was obsolete the instant Vine, and later TikTok, were launched. The network just can't give up the show's status as a star nursery, even though they've been producing fewer and fewer stars each year.

Anyway.

Biden has recognized the Armenian massacre as a genocide, in a move that is sure to make Turkey thrilled.

A Virginia deputy gave a Black man a ride home - then shot him six times when the deputy "mistook" a cordless phone for a gun.

And in Louisiana's runoff election, Troy Carter, who advertised his "ability to work with Republicans", is leading Karen Peterson, who positioned herself to Carter's left.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I think we've heard enough about SNL in this thread please.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Not only did he shoot the guy for mistaking the phone for a gun, he thought the guy was pointing the gun at his own head. So the deputy's response to seeing someone with a gun pointed at their head... is to shoot them yourself.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I sat around a campfire tonight and managed a soft political discussion with some centre-right friends on the border and the georgia boycott.

Their understanding is that 1) Biden is building more wall, illegals do suffer more hardships than the average american, but they must immigrate legally cause why can't they? (And that calling the ICE happenings genocide is strong words) 2) The new voter ID laws in Georgia state (as they see it) that the state allows everyone to automatically get voter ID registered, extend voting during holidays, and that all the hubbub is that dems want to make those without a voter ID able to vote (blacks should be able to get those voter IDs no problem, right?)

We of course shook hands and I kept the tension minimal. But I wonder; how would I convince them the happenings in Georgia and the Border Wall as we leftists see it?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ballz posted:

Not only did he shoot the guy for mistaking the phone for a gun, he thought the guy was pointing the gun at his own head. So the deputy's response to seeing someone with a gun pointed at their head... is to shoot them yourself.

Yup. It's kind of hosed. They treat suicidal people with weapons as being homicidal because sometimes suicidal people decide to take others with them.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I sat around a campfire tonight and managed a soft political discussion with some centre-right friends on the border and the georgia boycott.

Their understanding is that 1) Biden is building more wall, illegals do suffer more hardships than the average american, but they must immigrate legally cause why can't they? (And that calling the ICE happenings genocide is strong words) 2) The new voter ID laws in Georgia state (as they see it) that the state allows everyone to automatically get voter ID registered, extend voting during holidays, and that all the hubbub is that dems want to make those without a voter ID able to vote (blacks should be able to get those voter IDs no problem, right?)

We of course shook hands and I kept the tension minimal. But I wonder; how would I convince them the happenings in Georgia and the Border Wall as we leftists see it?

They would have to care and if they did they wouldn’t be center-right. They just fundamentally don’t really care about others, at BEST others outside their own sphere.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Grouchio posted:

Mostly, you don’t. But to the extent you really want to try: remember that the strongest reason for most people to stick to their previous beliefs despite the evidence is that admitting they were wrong would be admitting they were stupid, they aren’t stupid, so they must have been right. They need an off ramp that doesn’t require admitting at that instant they were stupid (it turns out to be quite easy to admit later - just not in the moment).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bel Shazar posted:

They would have to care and if they did they wouldn’t be center-right. They just fundamentally don’t really care about others, at BEST others outside their own sphere.

this is going to be ironic in light of what I just posted, but for most people the reason they believe stupid things is just that they are stupid or ignorant. it’s rarely a empathy defect. they’re just dumb, the only question is if it’s fixable or not. empathy outside someone very directly mirroring your life experience requires a certain amount of knowledge and it rarely occurs to people other people might lack the knowledge they themselves have that makes something seem obvious.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 25, 2021

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

evilweasel posted:

Mostly, you don’t. But to the extent you really want to try: remember that the strongest reason for most people to stick to their previous beliefs despite the evidence is that admitting they were wrong would be admitting they were stupid, they aren’t stupid, so they must have been right. They need an off ramp that doesn’t require admitting at that instant they were stupid (it turns out to be quite easy to admit later - just not in the moment).

To this point, and it maybe hard to hear, is trying to understand where people are coming from. You don't have to exactly validate their beliefs but try to examine how they got to their beliefs. However, knowing when someone just is too hardened is also a skill.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Proust Malone posted:

Has there been any follow-up to the report that Ayanna Presley’s office had the panic buttons “ripped out” on Jan 6? Or the tours members
Of congress had been giving to proud boys? Seems like the biggest story of the year just died

Probably not a good idea to treat random rumors and hearsay as fact during major breaking news events because none of that poo poo really turns out to be true.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

evilweasel posted:

this is going to be ironic in light of what I just posted, but for most people the reason they believe stupid things is just that they are stupid or ignorant. it’s rarely a empathy defect. they’re just dumb, the only question is if it’s fixable or not. empathy outside someone very directly mirroring your life experience requires a certain amount of knowledge and it rarely occurs to people other people might lack the knowledge they themselves have that makes something seem obvious.

I hope you are right and I’ll believe it when I see it but I haven’t seen it so far. Their empathy has a ton of caveats.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Grouchio posted:

You're talking about teaching them how to be thoughtful, ethical people who can reason through bullshit. That's a tall order.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

You're talking about teaching them how to be thoughtful, ethical people who can reason through bullshit. That's a tall order.
Yeah you're right and I'm glad I was able to notice that.

For a fellow afflicted with the inability to read social cues unless taught - I could really feel no disdain or ire at the subjects from them (unlike a Shapiro type). I was able to keep the discussion on the low burner and keep it engaging, afterwards talking about a shared interest in engineering. I feel really proud of myself for reading the room that well. The happenings in Georgia and the border are beyond their concern, and I'm okay with that. They did show interest in Biden's taxing the rich and his emissions goals so that was great.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 25, 2021

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Ballz posted:

cop can't let someone steal a kill that's rightfully his, come on now.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

So I get emails from the Washington Post and :what:
(bolding mine)

Fred Hiatt, Editorial page Sr. Editor posted:

When Donald Trump emerged on the political scene in 2015, The Post featured what I thought were (and still are) the best conservative columnists in the country.

None of them, however, supported Trump. We realized that, if we were to be true to our commitment to offer a full range of political views, we would have to add a new kind of conservative voice.

We were fortunate to find Gary Abernathy, who at the time was editing one of the few newspapers that endorsed Trump for president, the (Hillsboro, Ohio) Times-Gazette. 

Ever since, he has written a column that I usually disagree with — and almost always learn from. He has helped our readers understand the perspective of voters in southwestern Ohio. He offers a model of civil, good-natured debate, and he is rarely predictable. His column last week on why he supports reparations — and why he thinks all conservatives should — may give you a sense of what I mean.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Fred Hiatt and his conservative crush are, both, mentally ill.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

olylifter posted:

cop can't let someone steal a kill that's rightfully his, come on now.

The most unrealistic scene in Blazing Saddle is the one where the black sheriff holds himself hostage.

Because they'd shoot him for kill-stealing on the spot.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Xand_Man posted:

So I get emails from the Washington Post and :what:
(bolding mine)

what is his argument lol, property rights?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
As always, it was projection:
https://www.mediaite.com/news/pa-republican-who-objected-to-trumps-election-loss-has-concluded-that-fraud-was-committed-by-republicans/

quote:

Grove: Yes, there was. They have confirmed cases of election fraud.

Caruso: Who committed that fraud in Pennsylvania?

Grove: Right, Republicans. But it’s still election fraud. It doesn’t matter who [commits] it. We don’t want that fraud to occur. And to say there wasn’t any is a lie. Now, I will say there’s not like this mass amount of fraud, that’s going to shift hundreds of thousands of votes. But there was election fraud. We have had repeated, repeated election fraud in this commonwealth for decades.

Caruso: This is not the message that, particularly Republican politicians, were giving to their constituents-

Grove: Some. Not all.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Vasukhani posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/04/22/why-i-support-reparations-all-conservatives-should/

quote:

But in the current drunken haze of government spending, appropriating trillions for the noble purpose of bringing Black Americans who remain economically penalized by the enslavement of their ancestors closer to the fiscal universe of White citizens surely seems less objectionable than some recent spending proposals.

I guess that means reparations are better and more conservative than unemployment insurance, universal health care, infrastructure, etc?

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 25, 2021

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

haveblue posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/04/22/why-i-support-reparations-all-conservatives-should/

I guess that means reparations are better than unemployment insurance, universal health care, infrastructure, etc?

paywall.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Here, lemme just...

Gary Abernathy posted:

Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.) is among the progressive lawmakers whose blunt, liberal outspokenness regularly annoys me. Recently, she particularly upset me while discussing the latest congressional study of reparations for descendants of enslaved people, when she said, “If you through your history benefited from that wrong that was done, then you must be willing to commit yourself to righting that wrong.”

Only this time I was bothered because her comments hit home.

Like most conservatives, I’ve scoffed at the idea of reparations or a formal apology for slavery. I did not own slaves, so why would I support my government using my tax dollars for reparations or issuing an apology? Further, no one in the United States has been legally enslaved since 1865, so why are Black people today owed anything more than the same freedoms and opportunities that I enjoy?

I remain unconvinced that an apology would have much real value, but the more substantive notion of reparations is worth discussing. In fact, it could be argued that the idea fits within the conservative philosophy. We’ll come back to that. But it is undeniable that White people have disproportionately benefitted from both the labor and the legacy of slavery, and — crucially — will continue to do so for generations to come.

When slavery was abolished after a bloody civil war, African Americans were dispersed into a world that was overtly hostile to them. Reconstruction efforts were bitterly resisted by most Southern Whites, and attempts to educate and employ former slaves happened only in fits and starts. The government even reneged on its “40 acres and a mule” pledge. After slavery, prejudice and indifference continued to fuel social and economic disparity.

The result is unsurprising. As noted by scholars A. Kirsten Mullen and William A. Darity Jr., co-authors of “From Here to Equality: Reparations for Black Americans in the Twenty-First Century,” data from the 2016 Survey of Consumer Finances showed that median Black household net worth averaged $17,600 — a little more than one-tenth of median White net worth. As Mullen and Darity write, “white parents, on average, can provide their children with wealth-related intergenerational advantages to a far greater degree than black parents. When parents offer gifts to help children buy a home, avoid student debt, or start a business, those children are more able to retain and build on their wealth over their own lifetimes.”

Black author and activist Randall Robinson has argued that even laws such as those on affirmative action “will never close the economic gap. This gap is structural. … blacks, even middle-class blacks, have no paper assets to speak of. They may be salaried, but they’re only a few months away from poverty if they should lose those jobs, because … they’ve had nothing to hand down from generation to generation because of the ravages of discrimination and segregation, which were based in law until recently.”

In addition to the discrepancy in inherited wealth, even conservatives should be able to acknowledge that Whites enjoy generational associations in the business world, where who you know often counts more than what you know — a reality based not so much on overt racism as on employment and promotion patterns within old-school networks that Blacks lack the traditional contacts to consistently intersect.

For now, support for reparations is anemic. A House Judiciary Committee bill creating a commission to merely study the idea was opposed last week by 17 Republicans, though all 25 Democrats on the committee voted for it; and just 1 in 5 respondents in a Reuters/Ipsos poll last June agreed that the United States should use tax dollars for reparations — not shocking, when a price tag of $10 trillion has been suggested.

The cost can be debated, along with the mechanics of a compensation package. But in the current drunken haze of government spending, appropriating trillions for the noble purpose of bringing Black Americans who remain economically penalized by the enslavement of their ancestors closer to the fiscal universe of White citizens surely seems less objectionable than some recent spending proposals.

It is a tenet of conservatism that a level playing field is all we should guarantee. But that’s meaningless if one team starts with an unsurmountable lead before play even begins.

It’s not necessary to experience “White guilt” or buy into the notion of “White privilege,” a pejorative that to me suggests Whites possess something they should lose, when in fact such benefits should extend to all. Supporting reparations simply requires a universal agreement to work toward, as Jayapal said, “righting that wrong.”

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vasukhani posted:

If we give The Blacks money then they won't be angry when we're being racist!