Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Is Invincible or Irredeemable the one where Lady-Zod sexually assaults the main character in order to become impregnated by them? Both have been on my "To-Read" list for years but I never got around to it and I frequently confuse one for the other.

It's this show OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Alan Moore's Miracleman is an interesting take on the violent edgy superheroes. It has some great art and some nice gory splashpages.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The superhero genre is founded upon a pretty thin premise and it's actually extremely easy to conceive of how people with superpowers could go horribly awry, to the point that it features heavily in horror and sci-fi and is even heavily featured in superhero stories for all the supervillains and whatnot.

So trying to make an edgy take on how maybe superheroes would be bad is barely subversive at all, and it feels a little like making a big deal out of how professional wrestling isn't real fighting and is actually choreographed and plotted beforehand. It's a very unimpressive goal that doesn't really carry much weight on it's own. I think it's actually been harder for newcomers into the genre to muster the belief in themselves to play the whole thing straight than it has been to make an edgy take on how everything is bad.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Not true. People can accept superhero premises fine if they’re done well and avoid touching on social commentary ideas they aren’t willing to commit to (see something like Into the Spiderverse for example).

The issue is that the genre is so stupid by design that you really need to pick a lane and stick to it. Are you dealing with serious issues or telling simple morality plays for children by way of smashing some action figures together? If it’s the former then go all in a la Allen Moore and really think things through, if the later then lighten the gently caress up and maybe don’t have your heroes murder people by the dozens in graphic displays of ultraviolence. Invincible is in this weird middle ground where it kind of wants to be both and it’s very distracting.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Unrelated superhero side rant: Also stop having superheroes work for the government/government associated paramilitaries. We do not need The Avengers because the US is already a massive empire with nukes, the world’s largest and most advanced military, and a police stare with incredible power and no real accountability. If anything we need superheroes to protect us from these government institutions.

I’m not saying every superhero needs to be Antifa in their outlook but the Spider-Man model (or even Batman TAS) of giving a person superpowers and them deciding to help normal people on the ground level is just SO much more compelling than the Tony Stark model of somebody using their talents on behalf of the government to protect the status quo from intergalactic threats that have no real world equivalent.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The Boondocks reboot just got pushed back to 2022 and I'm starting to think it's never going to air at this rate.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Honestly I feel like that might be better off because I think I can count the number of canceled shows that have gotten brought back and actually been good on my fingers

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Not enough people have watched Kamen Rider Kuuga. It's neither animation nor for adults but it's a more sober and considered "serious superhero story" than anything that's been made stateside in the past 20 years.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Honestly I feel like that might be better off because I think I can count the number of canceled shows that have gotten brought back and actually been good on my fingers

Aaron McGruder is involved with the reboot so it may be better than season 4 of the old series.

It might not automatically make it amazing, but he wasn't involved in season 4 and the drop in quality was pretty apparent.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, its hard to get most of the original creative team back (not just the big names), and even if they do come back, they aren't the same people anymore.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Finally watched the Harvey Birdman special and I'm either getting older or it was a lot more erratic and fast paced than I remember. Did not like.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Aaron McGruder is involved with the reboot so it may be better than season 4 of the old series.

It might not automatically make it amazing, but he wasn't involved in season 4 and the drop in quality was pretty apparent.

Honestly season 3 wasn't very good either

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
I'm wondering if Uncle Ruckus will still be around in the new Boondocks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hexmage-SA posted:

I'm wondering if Uncle Ruckus will still be around in the new Boondocks.

IIRC there was a description floating around for the reboot where they kind of combined Uncle Ruckus with the rich guy character. Although it is also hurt by the death of John Witherspoon (Granddad)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Final Space needs to pick a tone. That episode was all over the shop.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Open Source Idiom posted:

Final Space needs to pick a tone. That episode was all over the shop.

This season is interesting because apparently it’s the show the creators really wanted to make. According to the creators season 2 had a million studio notes including a lot of requests to lighten the tone and add more comedy. Now that the show has a new home it also has a lot more creative freedom and as a result the writers are really embracing a lot of the darker elements.

The problem is that this may have been the one case of the studio notes being correct. I’m happy Olan finally has control over his baby and it’s still one of my favorite shows at the moment but the shift to more serious subject matter really makes the random comedy bits feel out of place. It really needs to just drop the more goofy comedy almost entirely (with the occasional cutaway to Tribor doing whatever it is he does because he’s great) or punch the comedy back up a few notches so those jokes feel like they’re part of the same show again.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I watched the first 3 episodes of Invincible and I think it’s loving awesome. It’s not perfect, it’s edited weird and the music isn’t as smoothly integrated into the show as it could be, but 3 episodes in I’m very intrigued and I like Mark a lot. The Pilot was intense.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

just another posted:

Finally watched the Harvey Birdman special and I'm either getting older or it was a lot more erratic and fast paced than I remember. Did not like.

It’s exactly as erratic as the show. I enjoyed it as a one off but wished they made more.

Edit: Birdgirl Episode 2: continues to be alright, not super great though. Some good gags, but the characters are not super memorable yet.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 16, 2021

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

fifth episode of Helluva Boss coming out soon™; hated the pilot of it and never bothered watching the Hazbin one, but the actual episodes of HB have been pretty good, especially 2. there was a trailer for the season that wasn't posted here and it seems the back half of the (apparently eight episode) season is gonna be more story heavy?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, the series proper has been pretty fun. I don't know what changed, but they've been cranking out episodes pretty fast instead of the multi-year slog that Hazbin needed for its pilot.

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Watched the 2nd season of The Solar Opposites. All the episodes are pretty good, feels like if you liked the first season, you'll love the second. The Wall stuff is still the stand out.

About the only thing I found jarring is that there's a running bit from the first season that they dropped like a hot rock in season 2.

I liked it too, solid humor and the wall stuff is great. What running bit are you talking about, the pupa's adventures?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The third episode of Birdgirl is really quite amazing. Gillian is a great character! Mixing The devil wears prada with secret identity shenanigans is a great mix to pump out that stress.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Solar opposites is really good

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/polygon/status/1384570082890747905?s=21

I always get totally robbed by the adventure time ending, not because I didn’t like it, but because the AT thread in TVIV was really cool and offered awesome discussion of symbolism and thematics but the release schedule meant the thread was dead as dirt by the time the ending happened.

I have really, really missed Finn & Jake.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Pizza Segregationist posted:

I liked it too, solid humor and the wall stuff is great. What running bit are you talking about, the pupa's adventures?

The horny principal and teacher stuff. I liked it, I thought it was funny. The principal is boring as poo poo now.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

The third episode of Birdgirl is really quite amazing. Gillian is a great character! Mixing The devil wears prada with secret identity shenanigans is a great mix to pump out that stress.

Yeah it was nice to have an episode that really defined her character.

I also like that Birdgirl expects Birdcat to perform actual tasks.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Just got around to watching the second half of Primal.

That's quite the hook to end on. :stare:

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The horny principal and teacher stuff. I liked it, I thought it was funny. The principal is boring as poo poo now.

Oh yeah now that you mention it, both that and their aggression towards the alien kids seems to have been toned down. I think the principal saying “get the gently caress outta here” in the first episode was the first big laugh the show got out of me

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

One of my favourite moments in season one was after they spent all summer in school slowly going insane, then they ran into the principal and teacher and just burst into tears, and neither of them had any idea how to handle it.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

I watched the first 3 episodes of Invincible and I think it’s loving awesome. It’s not perfect, it’s edited weird and the music isn’t as smoothly integrated into the show as it could be, but 3 episodes in I’m very intrigued and I like Mark a lot. The Pilot was intense.

Binged up to episode 6 and liking the show a lot. However, some people are not:

Not nutpicking, these are the top two 'reviews from the United States' on Amazon, though the show has 75% five star ratings.

Just wild that they're driven into a frothing rage by a villain ranting about old white slaveowners being oppressors. A villain.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Apr 22, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot makes sense when you realise that the slaveowners didn't really lose the Civil War.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
People who think comics are apolitical are some of the dumbest people on Earth and they should be flushed down the toilet with the rest of the diarrhea.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/infinity-train-season-5-release-date-movie-video-game-interview

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

And now I'm sadder.

I've got 2 episodes still to watch of S4, and then it'll be over. For now. :smith:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
More like

Finity Train

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

AlternateNu posted:

Just got around to watching the second half of Primal.

That's quite the hook to end on. :stare:

I haven’t watched the second half yet but is it aliens, I just want to know if it’s aliens or not

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I loved Infinity Train 1 - 3 (though the ending of season 3 left a bad taste in my mouth). Season 4 completely flopped for me. The leads were uninteresting, and it ran into the same pitfalls every character-driven story falls into where everything would be solved if fuckers just talked to each other.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I haven’t watched the second half yet but is it aliens, I just want to know if it’s aliens or not

Depends. What do you define as an "alien?"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
3 eps into The Great North, enjoying it so far.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Close Enough season 2 was really good. I’m also rewatching Legend of Korra and season 2 is a lot better than i remember. I always chalked it up as the bad season. Unless it totally screws up the next 2 episodes in a way that makes all the previous episodes worse, I think I judged it too harshly the first time around.

Really wish Iroh’s original VA had been alive for his appearance this season. There’s a cadence to his voice that the new guy couldn’t replicate. Same as when he tried to deliver Iroh lines in Avatar season 3, it just never sounded quite right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Newest Helluva Boss episode has some really good character animation going on, and most of it is dedicated to the new guy of the week voiced by Norman Reedus.