Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

FreshPrince posted:

How do I find my old posts?

I clicked on my profile
https://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=posthistory&userid=78786

Did the old stuff get deleted?

(I have Archives btw)

This looks like something you should take to the Technical Forum where you can talk to our resident coders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
How bad is it to take NSAIDS on an empty stomach? I know that you're supposed to take them with meals, but is this an "otherwise you risk nausea" kind of thing or an "otherwise the damage to your kidneys is way higher" kind of thing? The context is that I sometimes have joint/hip/back pain flare up in the middle of the night, when I don't particularly want to have to go eat a snack to go with my pills.

On a related note, as far as I can tell there's no "small questions thread" for The Goon Doctor?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

On a related note, as far as I can tell there's no "small questions thread" for The Goon Doctor?

I noticed that too. Seems like a forum where they should have one.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'm a standard-issue goon with bad, very head-forward posture. Aside from 'quit phone posting' and 'remind yourself to stand/sit up straight all the time' are there any fix your posture lifehacks physical therapists hate I should know about?

This is by no means going to be comprehensive a post but should hopefully get you on the right track. There are two main things going on with this. One a bunch of muscles around the spine are going to be tight and two a bunch are going to be weak.

For the tightness foam rolling - or even better, using a peanut - to stretch them out is a good start.

For the muscle side of things you want to slide past anyone that says pullups / rows to strengthen your back is good as those big muscles fatigue really easily. You don't want to have to rely on that to keep you upright as it won't work long term.

One simple thing you can do is foam roll / peanut for a while then sit against a wall with your hips / lower back flush against the wall and then try get your head back to the wall without tilting it back. So you're aiming to push your chin back and sit up taller rather than just looking up. Sit there holding that for as long as you can - we're talking 5m+. This should help get the body used to using the correct muscles to hold you upright.

Also, stop doing crunch exercises. Tight core muscles will pull you into the rounded neck position again. Do things like planks or pallof presses for your core work. Maybe throw in some yoga style updog / downdog stretches into your day. This is known as hindu pushups if you're not sure what I mean there.

Here's a couple of videos that explain a bit about what is going on and give you some other exercises. I've only just skimmed through them but they seem pretty decent and cover stuff other than the little bit I talked about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLOryGxlssI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POARdLtqQXA

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

How bad is it to take NSAIDS on an empty stomach? I know that you're supposed to take them with meals, but is this an "otherwise you risk nausea" kind of thing or an "otherwise the damage to your kidneys is way higher" kind of thing? The context is that I sometimes have joint/hip/back pain flare up in the middle of the night, when I don't particularly want to have to go eat a snack to go with my pills.

Ibuprofen, at least, can be hard on the stomach lining (thus take with food) but something like a normal dose once a night isn’t going to be a problem if you don’t already have stomach problems.

FreshPrince
May 14, 2005

NEVER take NSAIDS!

its extremely damaging to your organs, regardless of what doctors say!

There's always some new study that comes out with nothing positive to say.

(stick with tylenol)

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

FreshPrince posted:

NEVER take NSAIDS!

(stick with tylenol)

Sure, just listen to some random stranger on the something awful forums instead of a doctor....

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Inceltown posted:

yoga style updog

What's updog?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

alnilam posted:

What's updog?

not much, whats up with you

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

FreshPrince posted:

NEVER take NSAIDS!

(stick with tylenol)

Tylenol is extremely hard on your liver. It's always a trade off. I have elevated liver enzymes, have had this issue my whole life, and acetaminophen is contraindicated. Don't make blanket statements about medications or medical issues, you can do more harm than good.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

FreshPrince posted:

NEVER take NSAIDS!

(stick with tylenol)

:crossarms:

Wikipedia posted:

Overdoses of paracetamol (the active ingredient in Tylenol), that is taking more than the recommended maximum daily dose of paracetamol for healthy adults of three or four grams, can cause potentially fatal liver damage.

Paracetamol toxicity is the foremost cause of acute liver failure in the Western world, and accounts for most drug overdoses in the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand. Paracetamol overdose results in more calls to poison control centers in the US than overdose of any other pharmacological substance.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Different painkillers are bad for different parts of your body, and you should be aware of your own personal complications and risk factors. People with kidney issues shouldn't take NSAIDS and people with liver issues shouldn't take Tylenol. Nobody should be overusing or abusing them in general and it's usually a good idea to follow the instructions for any medication you take.

Random people on the internet can't give you better advice than your doctor, and habitual use of painkillers doesn't come without risk and it's usually better to be safe than sorry.

Mafic Rhyolite fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 24, 2021

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

FreshPrince posted:

How do I find my old posts?

I clicked on my profile
https://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=posthistory&userid=78786

Did the old stuff get deleted?

(I have Archives btw)

Old archived posts don't show up in the search, you have to look through archives manually to find them. Chances are all the threads you used to post on all got archived so to can only see the recent new ones.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I've never had a problem with taking 2-400mg of ibuprofen on an empty stomach, but something like naproxen (aleve) is a good bit stronger and longer lasting and will give me a stomach ache on any empty stomach. If you take alot of ibuprofen or stronger ones like naproxen regularly for a long time, they can cause stomach ulcers. I think they irritate the lining of your stomach or something.

One of the big recent discoveries of my life was learning to ask the pharmacist literally any drug question (or minor ailment you don't want to go to the doctor for). They are super knowledgeable and in my experience very helpful. They are a great (and free!) source for good basic healthcare info imo.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

FreshPrince posted:

NEVER take NSAIDS!

Oh, haha, this is going to be a fun parody of those "doctors are liars who are hiding the truth from you!" idiots. This should be good!

quote:

(stick with tylenol)

... oh.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 25, 2021

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Either fresh prince is an anti-science buffoon or the president of Johnson and Johnson trying to drum up more Tylenol sales.

I'll let you figure out which one it is

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Ibuprofen can be irritating to your stomach lining if taken without food. For some people this can cause nausea, heartburn, or generalized upset stomach. If you take NSAIDs on a regular basis, like more than once or twice a day, you are at higher risk of getting GI issues. People who take lots of NSAIDS for days on end are at risk for developing a stomach ulcer or kidney damage. If you’re only taking it once in a while and your kidneys and stomach are otherwise healthy, you are at pretty low risk for anything going wrong. You could always keep some crackers or something by your bedside if you’re really worried.

Tylenol is perfectly safe when only taken as needed for people without liver issues. The reason people overdose on Tylenol so much is because they 1. Don’t know there’s a limit to how many grams you should take each day, and/or 2. Tylenol is put in so many things, like cold medicine, sleep pills, prescription painkillers like Norco, allergy medicine, etc. People can unintentionally take way too much Tylenol if they don’t realize they’re doubling up. Most of the unintentional Tylenol overdoses I’ve seen have been people who got some kind of injury, couldn’t get a stronger pain pill prescription for one reason or another, and just popped OTC pain pills until their body started to tell them something was seriously wrong.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Tylenol’s “therapeutic index”, the ratio of the dose where it gently caress your body up to the dose where it does its job, is very low and it would never be approved as an over‐the‐counter product if it were released today.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, if I can't have ibuprofen, and I can't have tylenol, what the heck can I have? Is there a "safe" over the counter painkiller?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, if I can't have ibuprofen, and I can't have tylenol, what the heck can I have? Is there a "safe" over the counter painkiller?

You can have either (assuming no health conditions precluding it) just follow the instructions!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

You can also buy this pain killing rock from me for a mere $24.99

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

:sigh:

The joke is that, of course, I don't really have a choice here because I'm one of the lucky people to have debilitating menstrual cramps every month and if I don't take a painkiller I get to feel like a rusty spoon is in my guts. Yes, I've spoken to my doctors about this over the years, yes I'm fine, can covid please end already I'm actually in a position where I'm willing to just snip my tubes or something if it were safe to do so.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

There is also the troubling correlation between tylenol usage in pregnant women/kids and autism rates which some studies have been seeing.
How about good 'ol aspirin?

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 26, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Scarodactyl posted:

There is also the troubling correlation between tylenol usage in pregnant women/kids and autism rates which some studies have been seeing.

Mom's allergic to it, so I don't want to risk trying it.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

StrixNebulosa posted:

:sigh:

The joke is that, of course, I don't really have a choice here because I'm one of the lucky people to have debilitating menstrual cramps every month and if I don't take a painkiller I get to feel like a rusty spoon is in my guts. Yes, I've spoken to my doctors about this over the years, yes I'm fine, can covid please end already I'm actually in a position where I'm willing to just snip my tubes or something if it were safe to do so.

My friend with real bad menstrual cramps says that CBD tea, muscle relaxers, and having sex all work to help with them a lot.

Scarodactyl posted:

Aspirin is also an NSAID and can hurt your guts if used incorrectly. It can help keep you alive during a heart attack though if you chew it while it's happening.

If everyone is looking for a medication with no chance of hurting you no matter how you use it you need to be looking something fake like homeopathy or traditional Chinese medicine or whatever. Real medicine can hurt you because it has real effects on your body, it's up to you to use it responsibly.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just do what I do, transfer your pain to others by making incredibly lovely posts.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Aspirin does nothing for me. Ibuprofen works, but I have to take something approaching the maximum dose. Paracetamol/acetaminophen works well for me.

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

If everyone is looking for a medication with no chance of hurting you no matter how you use it you need to be looking something fake like homeopathy or traditional Chinese medicine or whatever. Real medicine can hurt you because it has real effects on your body, it's up to you to use it responsibly.

This is one of the giveaways of fake medicine. It claims to simply fix the problem, often many problems. Real medicine isn’t like that. This pill might help you if you have high blood pressure, but it can be a danger to you if you have low blood pressure, or if you’re taking another medication, or if you have a family history of certain events.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Does weed help with your cramps? Could take a low dose edible.

And honestly don't worry too much, both tylenol and ibeprofun are quite safe if used as directed, especially if it's only a few days a month. Don't exceed dosages (especially of Tylenol), and you'll know if the advil upsets your stomach when empty.

The whole "tylenol wouldn't be approved today" thing is true but only because it's very dangerous to take 2 or 3 times the max dose. Don't do that and it's safe.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Edit: This discussion is exactly why there's no small questions thread in TGD. Not much is actually a small question.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 25, 2021

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Edit: This discussion is exactly why there's no small questions thread in TGD. Not much is actually a small question.

Yeah, apparently. Sorry for kicking over the ant's nest.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Scarodactyl posted:

Again, hard to tell whether you're parodying or being an idiot, but I feel it's worth pointing out that image has nothing to do with the point you're making.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Scarodactyl posted:

Did you link the wrong thing? Glyphosate is a common herbicide. Don't eat herbicide for your headaches lmao

E: also that graph lines up exactly with when public schools started special education programs and started testing for autism in students. Not that I would be surprised if glyphosate can contribute to autism, but the timing sure is convenient.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 25, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

Did you link the wrong thing? Glyphosate is a common herbicide. Don't eat herbicide for your headaches lmao

Don't tell me what to do!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Scarodactyl posted:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Does anyone know why Wikipedia tends to have terrible photos of people on their articles now?

For example: the photo of the owner of Red Bull is a painting collage?! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietrich_Mateschitz

And a lot of celebrities are clearly bad photos taken at Comicon panels.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

smackfu posted:

Does anyone know why Wikipedia tends to have terrible photos of people on their articles now?

For example: the photo of the owner of Red Bull is a painting collage?! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietrich_Mateschitz

And a lot of celebrities are clearly bad photos taken at Comicon panels.

Wiki photos have to be public domain, which often means some random camera phone picture from a Wiki editor. Not sure about the collage though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Shut down the arcades IMO

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

It's almost like you should listen to professionals and not some graph you found online when it comes to complicated topics

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

E: also that graph lines up exactly with when public schools started special education programs and started testing for autism in students.

it also lines up exactly with the release and proliferation of sonic the hedgehog games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

In Windows, is there a way to set the default view mode when you create a new folder? My computer usually seems to default to icons, but I'd like it to default to list.