Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cleretic posted:

The Lodestone stories like setting up the idea of Y'shtola and the WoL, but the game never really met them on that (or on... basically anything really, I don't think a single Lodestone story has laid groundwork picked up by the game). I honestly only see that in an 'only two eligible people in the group' kinda thing; they only get together because there are literally no other options. Granted, Y'sh seems to warm considerably in just that situation, it feels like that's how she and Runar grew close, but it's still not much.

Outside of her, I could... maybe see Krile working if they wanted to take that road? Her eyes aren't on anyone else, and she seems friendly without being aloof. There's no groundwork there right now, but it could work if they were so inclined.

krile is the only scion who fits my WoL really, because i simply cannot calibrate to lalafell with any other race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chillgamesh posted:

Ahh I forgot about and miss Yugiri. She's perfect

She's been my favorite for a long time, aye.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i mean, ardbert and wol are literally soulmates

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
What about the ones on the other reflections?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Yugiri is way to quick to dismiss basically anything wrong Doma and its rulers have done.She is ultimately a pawn of the military power of the state. Not a free warrior seeking to do good but a tool.

Not a waifu, but a soul captured by war.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

We could use another Tank only character for trusts.

I would like to bring up the fact that Moenbryda was a Marauder

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zomborgon posted:

I would like to bring up the fact that Moenbryda was a Marauder

Moebrynda was actually "Not even a character for a whole patch" which is a DoL class.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
god they did Moenbryda so dirty

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
'here's a cool buff scholarly marauder type who's friends with your favorite nerds, showing the diversity of Sharlayan's views on education's merits'

'lol hope you liked her for like a patch she dead now'

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

"Hey new lady showed up and she's everyone's best friend and this guys secret long time love interest and she's so easy to get along with that her personality is smoother than glass. She's sure to be around for a long long time."

Sure they could have maybe done something more with her eventually (3 expacs later given how long it took to give any of the non-Twin scions real presence in the actual plot) but I don't understand what people latched onto so quickly outside of that potential. Because what we did get was kind of a generic Peppy But Smart lad who they had to throw every single hook into to make you even attempt to care for what they had planned. She was never a character she was Cheap Heat in an undercut.

If she had stuck around she'd probably just be bumming around with Cid or Krile since her whole deal was advanced R&D about Ascian plot poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

"Hey new lady showed up and she's everyone's best friend and this guys secret long time love interest and she's so easy to get along with that her personality is smoother than glass. She's sure to be around for a long long time."

Sure they could have maybe done something more with her eventually (3 expacs later given how long it took to give any of the non-Twin scions real presence in the actual plot) but I don't understand what people latched onto so quickly outside of that potential. Because what we did get was kind of a generic Peppy But Smart lad who they had to throw every single hook into to make you even attempt to care for what they had planned. She was never a character she was Cheap Heat in an undercut.

because she was neat, her chemistry with Card Nerd was fun, and compared to the more traditionally scholarly sorts of Sharlayans we saw at the time she was a fun example of how they were more than just the obvious scholarly mage types?

Also because literally any fanfic we could write about her potential would be more interesting than the, as you point out, cheap heat of 'here's a character we all like who just showed up, yay, we're so happy' to 'lol the bad guy killed her, what a bad guy!' within the same drat patch.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
My suspicion is that at some point they were going to have Krille wind up being the sacrificial lamb in that plot, then they decided they needed her for other things.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm not saying she deserved a Thancred style expansion subplot, but hell she coulda been on Team Krile fuckin around with weird stuff while we do WoL business.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

We'd better queue into Pandaemonium to find Moenbryda giving Lahabrea a swirly.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Just the one single actual toilet in the entire FFXIV omniverse. There in Pandaemonium. With Lahabrea getting face flushed by everyone's favorite muscle scion.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

She was never a character she was Cheap Heat in an undercut.

Her hair is the main reason why I remember her. This is probably the case for at least 50% of players. Yeah, she wasn't in the story for very long, but she looked cool as hell, and who can blame players for wanting more cool female characters? I'm not exactly sad she died because I think it served the narrative well enough and she wasn't around very long anyway. I don't think killing off characters is inherently any more cheap or lazy than having them stick around forever, so I wasn't really that bothered, but she clearly made a big impression on a lot of people even with such limited screen time.

SE should really introduce another cool femroe that we can hang out with.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

wizardofloneliness posted:

You have at least one of those, even if she's a very busy politician. We need another cool lady elezen first.

At least we're making some progress on that one. The last one got fondly remembered once this patch!

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Cleretic posted:

You have at least one of those, even if she's a very busy politician. We need another cool lady elezen first.

At least we're making some progress on that one. The last one got fondly remembered once this patch!

My WoL is a cool lady elezen, so I got that part covered at least. Because yeah, there's not much to choose from right now. Alisaie doesn't count, she's still a kid.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

sexpig by night posted:

'here's a cool buff scholarly marauder type who's friends with your favorite nerds, showing the diversity of Sharlayan's views on education's merits'

'lol hope you liked her for like a patch she dead now'

Should've killed Urianger instead.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

sexpig by night posted:

because she was neat, her chemistry with Card Nerd was fun, and compared to the more traditionally scholarly sorts of Sharlayans we saw at the time she was a fun example of how they were more than just the obvious scholarly mage types?

Also because literally any fanfic we could write about her potential would be more interesting than the, as you point out, cheap heat of 'here's a character we all like who just showed up, yay, we're so happy' to 'lol the bad guy killed her, what a bad guy!' within the same drat patch.

People also wanted a femroe that had actual significant story presence and so do I.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

stev posted:

Should've killed Urianger instead.

Honestly though, at that point in the game, he was less of a character than she was.

Thancred and Y'shtola were the only two Archons who really did anything at that point.
Papalymo and Yda were the bickering comedy relief duo, and Urianger was "exposition dump, but make it Shakespearean."

I honestly think him dying then would have had way less impact, other than however well they had Moenbryda sell her grief.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
ARR Thancred was barely a character; he was a stereotypical bard/rogue archetype (minus singing) complete with oh-so-funny bickering between his conquests. I hoped he'd get killed off. Now he's great.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ironslave posted:

ARR Thancred was barely a character; he was a stereotypical bard/rogue archetype (minus singing) complete with oh-so-funny bickering between his conquests. I hoped he'd get killed off. Now he's great.

And that part was an upgrade over being useless/hijacked by Lahabrea.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Did Thancred and Urianger have a lot more to do in 1.0

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Thancred existed in the general lineup of the Circle of Knowing knowing Circle of Knowing things, Urianger spent a lot of his time in jail.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I am not one to read too much into things but it's funny the story of the Diadem is "we discovered this place and killed everything on it, and now we're strip mining it for resources."

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Gonna be a rough time 10 expansions down the line when they've finally taken every floating rock and the Firmament disintegrates from lack of raw materials for repairs.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did Thancred and Urianger have a lot more to do in 1.0

Urianger used to hang out with Hildibrand in 1.0.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

No wonder he locked himself up in the Waking Sands.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

wizardofloneliness posted:

Her hair is the main reason why I remember her. This is probably the case for at least 50% of players. Yeah, she wasn't in the story for very long, but she looked cool as hell, and who can blame players for wanting more cool female characters? I'm not exactly sad she died because I think it served the narrative well enough and she wasn't around very long anyway. I don't think killing off characters is inherently any more cheap or lazy than having them stick around forever, so I wasn't really that bothered, but she clearly made a big impression on a lot of people even with such limited screen time.

I think there are a couple of reasons here. One is that yes she was a female roegadyn and this is extremely appealing to many posters here, to a degree that is honestly sometimes kind of weird. This element is not universal, I figure.

Another is that as you say, she was introduced and then almost immediately removed. At the time this was probably less glaring, because the character would have existed for three to four months and then gotten waxed. However, most of us are coming through ARR as later joining players, and so we are usually more or less bee-lining the MSQ. Which means that we meet the character, often on the main line of actual story we are doing, and then poof! There she goes.

I had similar thoughts that Ysayle must have had a much greater impact on the playerbase when critically acclaimed expansion Heavensward was new, because if you were coming into that after having played the last couple of patches for ARR and likely running Shiva's fight a bunch of times, it would have been mind-expanding. You were FARMING this fight and now she's WITH you? I don't know if these were specifically planned effects by the developers, but it is an interesting way where the narrative might hit differently at different times, even if it is completely the same.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Moenbryda being a femroe is part of why people liked her but especially now, with Estinien joining, the Scions are like 50% elf by volume and the remainder is cat person with trace hyur and potato flakes. I understand that since the Scions are Eorzean it doesn't exactly make a ton of sense for the expansion races to be represented, but the only roes are the background boulder bros and there isn't really any in-universe justification for it, especially since Sharlayan definitely had a roegadyn population.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Chillgamesh posted:

Moenbryda being a femroe is part of why people liked her but especially now, with Estinien joining, the Scions are like 50% elf by volume and the remainder is cat person with trace hyur and potato flakes. I understand that since the Scions are Eorzean it doesn't exactly make a ton of sense for the expansion races to be represented, but the only roes are the background boulder bros and there isn't really any in-universe justification for it, especially since Sharlayan definitely had a roegadyn population.
Yeah this part I can get on board with. What stood out to me in Shadowbringers was that my character had like black hair, right? Maybe it was 'super dark purple,' I forget. But whenever I would be standing with the other scions, it'd be me, Young Elly van Houten, and a buncha jerks with granny hair.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Some friends are glam hunting. In the end cutscene among the weapons there's one that looks like the Faust Lance except it's neon blue along the whole thing. Is that another model in-game?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I'm just gonna say that the datamined scythe looks like some chunk of low-poly background fluff that some poor NPC farmer is trying to defend themselves with in the distance.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Zomborgon posted:

I'm just gonna say that the datamined scythe looks like some chunk of low-poly background fluff that some poor NPC farmer is trying to defend themselves with in the distance.

Yeah I strongly doubt that's actually Zenos' weapon, it looks like poo poo

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Also, a datamined scythe means sweet gently caress-all until it's clearly a violent-looking model.

Remember the thing that basically everyone hoping for a Death Knight job forgets: we already have scythes. To be considered proper evidence for a scythe DPS job, it needs to clearly not be a Botanist's scythe, and that low-poly model doesn't pass that test.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 26, 2021

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

scythe is a red herring to divert attention from the actual new maiming armor job, Dragoon Two

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I've been expecting the new job to be a scythe-using class with a name like Reaper since five minutes after Yoshi-P walked out on stage with that shirt. It's a melee DPS job that he's hinting at with the stylings of death and the grim reaper, and given that Zenos is probably going to be that job (like he was Samurai) and Fandaniel's doing the "oh yeah very thematic" during their plan to kill the world, it seems a given.

I mean maybe it'll be a class where we punch the ground around our enemies so hard it raises skeletons to claw at them, but I'd be surprised.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
The datamined scythe looks like poo poo because it A: wasn't actually datamined and B: is from FF11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Zenos is gonna follow the trail blazed by his great grandfather and just use a gun.