Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

MassRafTer posted:

I don't remember a single person saying Penelope or Abadon should win their matches and almost no one saying Anna Jay or Nyla should win their challenges. Talk about not understanding the role of a champion when they have a babyface challenger.

people ABSOLUTELY were rooting for anna jay, here included. They didn't think she WOULD win, but they definitely rooted for her. And Tay, Ryo, Thunder Rosa in my memory. It's been pretty even I think.

not that I'm agreeing with this dork that it's a bad thing, I really don't mind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Procrastinator posted:

people ABSOLUTELY were rooting for anna jay, here included. They didn't think she WOULD win, but they definitely rooted for her. And Tay, Ryo, Thunder Rosa in my memory. It's been pretty even I think.

not that I'm agreeing with this dork that it's a bad thing, I really don't mind it.

One of the things people held up as a strength of Okada's fourth reign is that he managed to get everyone supporting his challenger (except like Fale, EVIL and Marufuji I guess)

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Now that Tay Conti is indisputably good, they've decided that her succeed is because of the PC and not in spite of it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pylons posted:

Now that Tay Conti is indisputably good, they've decided that her succeed is because of the PC and not in spite of it.

wwe fans can't decided if tay is still bad, actually or only good because she was at the PC first

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Procrastinator posted:

There's a big difference between "rooting for someone to win" and "thinking someone should win and it's a booking mistake if they don't," and that Cageside tweet is arguing the latter. I think even Tay's biggest fans would agree she's not ready for a title reign, especially after they set up Britt/Shida which looks to be a mega-hot PPV program.

The whole job of a babyface champion is to get crowds into the idea that someone could win even if they obviously aren't. When it's a heel challenger, that means working underneath to set up the big comeback. When it's a babyface challenger, that means giving them a valiant fight so they still look good in defeat. Tanahashi and Okada were masters of this formula, and oh by the way, they both drew a ton of money working that formula.

At the end of the day, "I don't like this champion because they win too much" is still WWE brain rot, a relic of John Cena Derangement Syndrome that took over wrestling discourse for over a decade. Of course your stars should win all the time! That's why they're stars!

Benne fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 22, 2021

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

the tweet literally said "rooting for them over her" wtf do you want from me dude

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
WRESTLING DISCOURSE

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

WatermelonGun posted:

WRESTLING DISCOURSE

*clap clap clapclapclap*

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
WE WANT DISCOURSE!

DISCOURSE SUCKS!

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

https://twitter.com/SyzeMatters/status/1385285003978973192

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

What was the original Taz tweet? It's deleted.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Jonny Nox posted:

What was the original Taz tweet? It's deleted.

it was about how guys nowadays aren't gassed up behemoths that can barely move like in the 80s and 90s

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Taz is loving awesome

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014
Taz and Excalibur cracking up on AEW Dark is the best part of Botchamania

Taz's FTW title run was one of the best parts of ECW

Taz managing Will Hobbs on a national TV platform, making a dude from my hometown area get that shine and TV placement

Taz fucken rules

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Qoey posted:

Taz and Excalibur cracking up on AEW Dark is the best part of Botchamania

Taz's FTW title run was one of the best parts of ECW

Taz managing Will Hobbs on a national TV platform, making a dude from my hometown area get that shine and TV placement

Taz fucken rules

Taz does rule and yet there is that mysterious period of time when he did not for several years. Hmmmm.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/BossMoz/status/1385971384694628356

https://twitter.com/Fiend4FolIows/status/1385767263211556869

https://twitter.com/Fiend4FolIows/status/1385769130259779584

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
THE LORE OF THE BLACK

...no, wait, that sounds wrong somehow.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Honestly theorycrafting the Fiend is kind of adorable at this point.

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

this guy's name cracks me up every time

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Cerebral Bore posted:

THE LORE OF THE BLACK

Greetings.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Honestly theorycrafting the Fiend is kind of adorable at this point.

really anything that involves putting more effort into thinking about WWE storylines than anyone in WWE is

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/1385767669995950087?s=20

lol

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
He looks like he's HHH's age.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
he looks like garth marenghi

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Just loving let one of the best wrestlers in the world wrestle please goddam it I don’t need him to be dark daddy just let him wrestle and win it’s how people get over please I’m begging you my family is starving

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

JUNGLE BOY posted:

really anything that involves putting more effort into thinking about WWE storylines than anyone in WWE is

If what you like is dumb and you secretly know it's dumb I guess you have to invent your own explanation for why it's actually brilliant.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Remember in NXT when he just came out and he just loving wrestled and he like, barely even said anything and he just loving kicked people in the face.

gently caress.

gently caress!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

are you telling me To gently caress? i opened the thread and just read that but I don't know what's going on

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Squared Circle:

quote:

I think we can all agree that Alexa Bliss' character work during this last year has been fantastic. Now that she is moving away from Bray it is likely that she'll wrestle more. How much more? Who knows.

With Rhea tied up with Asuka and Charlotte, who is there for Alexa Bliss to show her the new character in the ring?

She has been killing it with the character work but I'm intrigued to see what she can do in the ring now in single feuds. Do I want her to win the women's title? Probably not, but surely they have something planned for her. I do think down the line she'll win the title though.

What do you think?

Most of the responses are gravitating towards her beating whoever is champion for the title by Summerslam and going on a long dominant reign with Lilly at her side.

The last thing the women in WWE need is Alexa running over everyone no-selling everything.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

WatermelonGun posted:

he looks like garth marenghi
i know wrestlers who use suplex, and they’re all cowards

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DarkstarIV posted:

Squared Circle:

Most of the responses are gravitating towards her beating whoever is champion for the title by Summerslam and going on a long dominant reign with Lilly at her side.

The last thing the women in WWE need is Alexa running over everyone no-selling everything.

Basically the only thing that will get me to watch more of Raw is Alexa no selling everything and doing goofy Fiend offense.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's not like Raw can get any worse, but that would be real unlikely to make it better either.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

MassRafTer posted:

Basically the only thing that will get me to watch more of Raw is Alexa no selling everything and doing goofy Fiend offense.

I want her to continue her months long feud with Randy Orton which is the funniest thing I've seen from WWE in forever.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

WWE finally utilizing some of their under-utilized women just to have them jobbed out to Evil Alexa on her way to the title is a heapin' helpin' of monkey's paw

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014
Here's my bad opinion: Everything Fiend-related has been awful for what feels like years now and I hate that they're developing lovely "lore" for Aleister Black now, too

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Qoey posted:

Here's my bad opinion: Everything Fiend-related has been awful for what feels like years now and I hate that they're developing lovely "lore" for Aleister Black now, too

I thought you were going to give us a bad opinion.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Aleister thing is yet another classic example of main roster creative overthinking what should be an easy gimmick.

As others have pointed out, Black also had these "spooky" video packages in NXT, but they were kept short and didn't have any lore bullshit, he just talked about how he's a cool badass who will kick people's heads off. And then -- please sit down for this one, I know it's a wild concept -- he actually got in the ring and was a cool badass who kicked people's heads off. Miraculously, this got him over and earned him a run with the title.

He's now been on the main roster for almost longer than he was in NXT, and nobody can quite figure out how to get him over despite a proven template being literally right in front of their faces. This poo poo goes way deeper than easy excuses like "Vince doesn't see anything in him," it's a systematic failure across the board.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
The problem with The Fiend (or Alexa now) is that its almost certainly a lock that WWE books Alexa as some unstoppable monster in the division despite being a below average (at best) wrestler and her gimmick just not being interesting at all. The Fiend stuff was interesting until they hosed everything up by making Seth Rollins scared of him. And I would not be shocked if they repeat that same mistake with Rhea/Charlotte/Asuka (whoever is champion at the time). Three women who logically should not be scared of Alexa (who doesn't even look or act remotely scary) and a literal doll.

People keep thinking that supernatural gimmicks should hold titles, but I disagree in this day and age. Especially in WWE where they'll make the monster look incredibly strong to the point of where no one looks credible against them. If you want to push supernatural gimmicks that is fine, but keep them out of the title picture. Because nothing good ever comes of it if they are champion.

In regards to WWE lore stuff, it feels like Vince saw the Tian Sha lore video that aired on NXT and how well received it was, and decided to do that except a thousand times worse.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

WWE could learn a few things from how AEW treat Abadon. People aren't irrationally scared of her. They're rationally freaked out by the woman in zombie makeup spitting blood on the ramp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

DarkstarIV posted:

People keep thinking that supernatural gimmicks should hold titles, but I disagree in this day and age. Especially in WWE where they'll make the monster look incredibly strong to the point of where no one looks credible against them. If you want to push supernatural gimmicks that is fine, but keep them out of the title picture. Because nothing good ever comes of it if they are champion.

I would agree, and in fact even WWE's own blueprint agrees. Sure, Undertaker held top titles from time to time, but more often than not somebody else was champ because they correctly figured out that he didn't need them.