Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
it would be really funny for your kid to have a South Asian accent on some words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

CSPAM Parenthood is making Earth Day cookies with your kids but not telling them this is a performative action

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

oxsnard posted:

oh yeah, loving tayo the little bus, lmao

forgot about that bullshit show. It's horrid. The voice acting in the English series is done by the worst voice actors in Canada. Plus the "lessons" are garbage, little fuckers always apologizing and deferring to authority

Hahaha I loving hated when my son was into Tayo. Now he likes this thing called coilbook which has firetrucks and garbage trucks getting into adventures. It's weird but I don't mind it as much.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Another Bill posted:

CSPAM Parenthood is making Earth Day cookies with your kids but not telling them this is a performative action

C-SPAM parenthood is telling the school that she goes there to be a student, not a salesperson, but mostly you just don't want to deal with the cookie bullshit

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My friends kids watch a ton of pbs and Wild Kratts was pretty cool when I watched it with them, I learned some cool poo poo about manatees and it was inoffensive without being annoying, thats really all I ask

And one of the villains has a good Gilbert Gottfried impersonation behind them, that was pretty fhnny

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Yeah Wild Kratts was good. One of my kids was fixated on Komodo dragons for a while so we had to find any show that mentioned them. Even showed them the mall scene from The Freshman.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Good soup! posted:

My friends kids watch a ton of pbs and Wild Kratts was pretty cool when I watched it with them, I learned some cool poo poo about manatees and it was inoffensive without being annoying, thats really all I ask

And one of the villains has a good Gilbert Gottfried impersonation behind them, that was pretty fhnny

I like that Zack 100% looks like Martin Shkreli

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
wild kratts definitely had a problem with representation early on but they made it right.

they have two women of color who work on board alongside a bumbling stoner white dude and they eventually wrote storylines where Koki and Aviva actually do stuff or have responsibilities.

like even from the beginning the pizza-eating goof off Jimmy (that they sometimes refer to as Jay Z lmao) had the important job of driving the drat space ship.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

New season of lego masters coming

My older kid got super obsessed with the first season and rewatched it over and over. He's gonna flip.

This is, uh, tv chat thread now right?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Flavius Aetass posted:

C-SPAM parenthood is telling the school that she goes there to be a student, not a salesperson, but mostly you just don't want to deal with the cookie bullshit

She's homeschooled right now :negative:

e: it was her idea

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

i took next week off to spend time with the kid and im both excited and exhausted already

also costco's diapers confirmed for bad and awful because we've been using huggies now and we havent had a single blowout despite some impressive shits

i cant believe id ever recommend against getting a kirkland product :negative:

alo
May 1, 2005

I've only really exposed my son to the PBS kids video app, so he really just bounces between those shows. Hopefully he sticks to that until he's old enough and realizes Paw Patrol is dumb as poo poo.

Keeping the breadth of his media consumption pretty low seems to help him self-regulate his tv time.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

alo posted:

I've only really exposed my son to the PBS kids video app, so he really just bounces between those shows. Hopefully he sticks to that until he's old enough and realizes Paw Patrol is dumb as poo poo.

Keeping the breadth of his media consumption pretty low seems to help him self-regulate his tv time.

it's hard to do especially when they start being on contact with other kids. I told my kid paw patrol is not available here sorry!. We've been playing sneaky sasquatch and we're at the point of the game where I stop the capitalist who is trying to take over the park and now i have to be a loving cop to solve some pollution issue but before i do that i have to be on patrol and pull people over for ticket, gently caress that poo poo.

pinkfong's songs are heavy on the copaganda

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
wild kratts is far and away better than octonauts

jack hartmann is a foreign national spy sent to destabilize the millennial generation by way of their kids

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Oh cool, a parent thread.

I know TV chat has dominated the last few pages, what about books? My wife and I have found several books that promote diversity and inclusion, those seem to be fairly common. My favorite "lefty" book to read is Farmer Duck, which is about a farmer exploiting the labor of his duck and the vanguard other animals rising up, driving the farmer out, and seizing the farm for themselves. The last page has a picture of the duck directing the other animals while they work on "their" farm, to drive the analogy even further

My son is 4 and still doesn't grasp the the overall point of the story, but just in the last few weeks he's started asking "why?" to everything, and asked why the duck was sad and the farmer was laying around, so we're about to start heading down that path. :ussr:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

TipTow posted:

My son is 4 and still doesn't grasp the the overall point of the story, but just in the last few weeks he's started asking "why?" to everything, and asked why the duck was sad and the farmer was laying around, so we're about to start heading down that path. :ussr:

Click Clack Moo by Doreen Cronin is in a similar vein. actually so similar i think there was maybe some... inspiration there.

The cows unionize against Farmer Brown. Duck handles the negotiations as a neutral party.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

social inclusion books are pretty easy to come by but economic/class ones for kids are tough. I don't think I have any in our collection that I can think of.

An interesting book to read to kids is "the Stranger". It's a metaphor about changing seasons but the way it's done is really different compared to regular kids books. I guess kinda like jeff bridges in star man.

sonatinas has issued a correction as of 20:57 on Apr 23, 2021

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

sonatinas posted:

An interesting book to read to kids is "the Stranger"

:thunk:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

well, i did have to give multiple lessons that it's just a book and you still don't talk to strangers

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

sonatinas posted:

social inclusion books are pretty easy to come by but economic/class ones for kids are tough. I don't think I have any in our collection that I can think of.

An interesting book to read to kids is "the Stranger". It's a metaphor about changing seasons but the way it's done is really dissonant compared to regular kids books.

barefoot book's Children of the World has representation across economic and class lines

this is the kind of question your children's librarian would love to answer for you with a big pile of books

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

sonatinas posted:

well, i did have to give multiple lessons that it's just a book and you still don't talk to strangers

Never too early to start teaching your kids about gun violence, I guess.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

fosborb posted:

barefoot book's Children of the World has representation across economic and class lines

this is the kind of question your children's librarian would love to answer for you with a big pile of books

yeah we would go to the library regularly and ask them for stuff like this and she's old enough now to kinda get basic class stuff. I will check out that stuff!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

The kids will be hooked by the first line.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

sonatinas posted:

this became a problem when our kid was accidentally left outside on the playground by daycare staff and she ran away and hid when a security guard at the hospital across the street tried to help her

so we switched to talking about tricky people; people who ask you for help to do things that kids don't help with

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah on that note i have entirely avoided ACAB type rhetoric around her. I've explained certain things, she went out to a BLM demonstration with me that i knew would be entirely peaceful, etc. But i think the idea that the vast majority of cops are good and want to help is the best thing for a child's psyche.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

It definitely depends on if you're white or not.

like I tell my kids about the police and what they're supposed to do vs what they actually do but I don't outright tell them "don't trust the cops" (yet) because they're 7 and 4.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
yeah, the go to advice is always if you need help, find someone that has a kid with them.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Baby is up and wide awake after taking a monster dump lmao, all at 4 a.m.

It's not so bad though, she is rarely up like this. im feeling rested and giving her mom a break and the kid seems content to be swinging and messing around with a rattler so I'm watching my youtube playlist for times like this (which is a sad thing because im on the next video which is a Flyers-Rangers playoff game from 97 and makes me miss when Philly was good)

I try to avoid having her in front of screens but man it sure makes me happy that she is mesmerized by hockey when it's on :allears:

Probably easy to see with the bright colors against a white background too

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
We were pretty good about keeping our first off of screens until he could walk, not so much with the younger one. Oh well!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Yeah I'm doing all I can to limit any screen time to zero but it's a challenge, I don't know how you guarantee not even seeing a screen in 2021

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Screens are a part of our world that kids will have to adapt to, including adapting to resisting device addiction. I don't really feel like keeping my kid from seeing screens will help prepare her in any way to interact with the world.
I also don't feel like I should keep her from other pernicious devices that have previously been railed against, such as radio or chalkboards.

Thus far she seems to have healthy limits for using her devices. She always puts down her tablet on her own after like 20 minutes tops, and goes to do something else.

I have actually started to slide the opposite direction on the spectrum (heh), and kinda feel like unilateral screen bans border on abusive. Like intentionally not teaching your kid how to read sorta thing.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I've been thinking about that problem and figured that the best thing to do is lead by example. Limit our own screen time, and do as much non-digital stuff as possible.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah honestly, at some point last year we started letting our 5yo play a bunch of animal crossing and it let them express a huge amount of creativity, and also once reading in kindergarten started it provided a really cool place to practice reading.

The goal is to avoid lots of non-interactive screen time, really. Hit or miss with that one for us.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
yeah lol limiting screen time is a first kid thing that gets successively harder and pointless imho

exhibit:

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Dreylad posted:

I've been thinking about that problem and figured that the best thing to do is lead by example. Limit our own screen time, and do as much non-digital stuff as possible.

yeah. it’s not fair to ask a little kid to abstain from screens if you’re spending hours per day on phones, TV, etc., in front of them. realizing _why_ your phone is such a power object to your kid can be a bit of a wake up call.

we’ve tried to keep to the AAP “no screens beside video chat before 18m” guideline.

post-18m, the occasional attended YouTube tractor video is okay (kid loves tractors, idk), but he’s not given free reign over anything.

my background in hci makes me deeply uncomfortable with google getting its hooks into my kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqnF2zSQ02U

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

oxsnard posted:

yeah lol limiting screen time is a first kid thing that gets successively harder and pointless imho

exhibit:

stupid rear end baby doesn't know how to use dark mode forums

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I would never judge a parent for using a screen because let's face it everyone is just hanging on by a thread right now. Although I think I am cursed since it's really crappy out today and I am feeling pretty run down from working out/having a single beer last night with dinner and figured today would be a good movie day but neither child wanted that so I am currently lying on the floor while both kids are running around like banshees and the Magic School bus plays on the tv.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

oxsnard posted:

exhibit:

kid's learning to post. respect.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
man dat baby got de poo poo right by da post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
your baby is super cute oxsnard