Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Cruel Little Stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/24/01

Brenda Starr 5/5/46

Smokey Stover 9/29/40

Richard's Poor Almanac

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Good Innvandrer

Pondus

TegneHanne

Intet Nytt Fra Hjemmefronten

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

No new Rae the Doe on weekends!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

catlord posted:

Axa

It's just a butt, I'll let this slide. Also, Galen's gone full Snidely Whiplash all of the sudden? Ok.

Galen's like one of those idiot goons who kramers into a thread without reading the rules first and starts going after people for how they post or something.

EasyEW posted:

Funky COVIDbean

Batiuk's method to finally bring up the topic of covid in the Funkyverse is gross. He's pretty much using this AA meeting as a backdrop so he can preach about how he's so relevant and on top of the pandemic. And yet he's not drawing everyone in masks so that makes his sentiments ring hollow.

Don't force the customer to buy more of your books when you're the one who messed up, you old bat.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Alhazred posted:

Intet Nytt Fra Hjemmefronten

both of these are perfect

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

That all still fits, huh

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I don't get why she's got a thousand-yard stare going on after mending those clothes.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

amigolupus posted:

Batiuk's method to finally bring up the topic of covid in the Funkyverse is gross. He's pretty much using this AA meeting as a backdrop so he can preach about how he's so relevant and on top of the pandemic. And yet he's not drawing everyone in masks so that makes his sentiments ring hollow.

I want to know what he's got against PBS which, I presume, isn't broadcasting Covid coverage around-the-clock.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

That's holly, not mistletoe.

Edit: I WILL NEVER STOP NITPICKING THIS loving COMIC.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set reduces, reuses, and recycles.

Working Daze has dinner figured out.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is terminally hip.

Cul De Sac has made a horrible mistake!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Now huge thanks to Powered Descent's script.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

"Dolly Dagger." Nice!

amigolupus posted:

I don't get why she's got a thousand-yard stare going on after mending those clothes.
Ever do mending? It sucks...which is why she put it off for months & months.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Dykes to Watch Out For #136 (1992)
Spoiler for nudity:

By the 1990s the VHS format had firmly won the war between early home video technologies. I can't find any easy-to-hand statistics about VHS ownership over time so I don't know how behind the curve Harriet is here-- but it had been commercially available for a pretty long time by 1992.

Malika's camcorder, which as we'll see soon records onto normal VHS tapes, is a little more cutting edge, since that format was introduced commercially in 1987.

These are the most boring notes possible for a comic about a sex-tape.

One thing I love about this arc is that while Bechdel has, I think, made Mo endearing to the readers in a lot of ways, it's hard to fault Harriet either.

Batman (11/16/1989)

Batman and Alfred remain at an impasse about whether or not to turn off the TV.

Edit: Does Catwoman kill people? In 1989 it's hard to say. After a huge line-wide crossover, DC Comics rebooted their continuity in 1986, streamlining some characters' histories, changing others, and completely erasing some-- setting up the "post-crisis" versions of the setting which remained in place through the late 80s, 90s, and part of the aughts. While the post-crisis Catwoman was definitely a grittier character with a darker origin, she didn't really kill very much-- in a 1988 miniseries she accidentally had a pimp fall to his death but felt torn by guilt about it.

In the 1970s she did kill now and again but these were relegated by the fussy minds at DC to an alternate continuity since it fit neither her "main" continuity's behaviors nor the behavior of her primary alternate reality counterpart, which was married to Bruce Wayne.

Obviously this story is just beginning, so who knows if she really killed these guys, and this is taking place in its own weird continuity anyway. But setting this plot off with the suggestion that Catwoman is on a killing spree definitely might have struck comics fans as odd and an intriguing crumb.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Howard Beale posted:

I'm pretty sure the Steeplechase Park and laughter reference comes from the fact that amusement parks used to have these "Laffing Sal" automatons, usually parked outside the fun house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMyJOCt7xMg

Kennywood Park outside Pittsburgh still has one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWJMIYwhVLg

Selachian posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac

That's George Will on the upper right.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Medenmath posted:

Prince Valiant

Now huge thanks to Powered Descent's script.

Based on the “Next Time,” I’m gonna go ahead and call those Chekhov’s barrels.

Classic Zits

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

I'm not sure which is scarier, the monster outside the window, or the ghostly specter covertly implanting ideas into a child's mind from beyond the grave. :ghost:

And I guess I'll pick up Sunday FoxTrot too, why not.

FoxTrot

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

I'm going to be honest here, I still don't get what Shelly's plan was during this story arc. Was it just “pretend to be Len's younger girlfriend to scare off Stella”, or am I missing something?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Deathless Deer 12/24-26/42

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Alhazred posted:

TegneHanne

Oh hey it’s my life

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Comet

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

amigolupus posted:

PainterofCrap posted:

Yes, this. Mending is the worst. My favorite pair of jeans I haven't worn in months because I just can't seem to get around to sewing a patch on them.

The first few panels led me to expect the rest of the strip to be a lecture to Liz about how she should fold her own clothes now, so I was pleasantly surprised by how it actually played out.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Presto posted:

That's George Will on the upper right.
Yeah, that's the only one I can be sure represents a real columnist. Surprised he didn't have a Gene Weingarten, since he regularly illustrated his columns anyways and his drawing of him has something of a distinctive look, plus he probably would have enjoyed it.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Nope, not bees. This week's Sunday was instead predicted by Pooch Cafe.

Mary Worth

I remember someone called this but I can't find the post.

The Phantom

lol they're basically the same except some different accessories.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

The place is called Death World, but that's just a name.

Flash Forward

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Johnny Walker posted:

The Phantom

Except for the one Phantom who rebelled against nopants and is wearing jodhpurs.

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

How Wonderful! posted:

Spoiler for nudity:

By the 1990s the VHS format had firmly won the war between early home video technologies. I can't find any easy-to-hand statistics about VHS ownership over time so I don't know how behind the curve Harriet is here-- but it had been commercially available for a pretty long time by 1992.

Malika's camcorder, which as we'll see soon records onto normal VHS tapes, is a little more cutting edge, since that format was introduced commercially in 1987.

One thing I love about this arc is that while Bechdel has, I think, made Mo endearing to the readers in a lot of ways, it's hard to fault Harriet either.

Home sex tapes were very cutting-edge culturally at the time, even though the technology had been around a couple of years. Even today they're mildly transgressive.

It's a little bit weird that after two previous almost-breakups over more substantial matters the one that sticks is set off by a mild spat. I wonder why Bechdel decided to break them up for real this time - did she think the relationship didn't provide good material, did she want to write the upcoming "horny Mo" stories, was she already planning for Sydney, ?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Big Assassin's Creed vibes.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The_Other posted:

I'm going to be honest here, I still don't get what Shelly's plan was during this story arc. Was it just “pretend to be Len's younger girlfriend to scare off Stella”, or am I missing something?

That seems to be the plan in entirety.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set isn't a mind reader.

Working Daze is pretty heavy, man.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix lingers on long past its time.

Cul De Sac might want to build up to that.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Johnny Walker posted:

The Phantom

Should those old costumes be that close to open flames?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

PainterofCrap posted:

Julet Esqu posted:

Yes, this. Mending is the worst. My favorite pair of jeans I haven't worn in months because I just can't seem to get around to sewing a patch on them.

The first few panels led me to expect the rest of the strip to be a lecture to Liz about how she should fold her own clothes now, so I was pleasantly surprised by how it actually played out.

I guess it's because I'm fine with mending. I just sit down, listen to streams or music and let myself get carried away with the task. It's relaxing, in a way. :shobon:

If you flip their genders, this is a creepy scenario where a woman is randomly approached by a man acting way too friendly for someone who's a random follower on social media.

Can't say I'm surprised at Mary Worth trying to make that sound romantic.

curtadams posted:

Home sex tapes were very cutting-edge culturally at the time, even though the technology had been around a couple of years. Even today they're mildly transgressive.

It's a little bit weird that after two previous almost-breakups over more substantial matters the one that sticks is set off by a mild spat. I wonder why Bechdel decided to break them up for real this time - did she think the relationship didn't provide good material, did she want to write the upcoming "horny Mo" stories, was she already planning for Sydney, ?

The way Mo and Harriet break up over such a small thing doesn't seem too weird. The two major fights between them caused some fractures in their relationship, and things only got worse from there. Every time Mo and Harriet appeared together, things between them look a lot colder than before. It really was only just a matter of time before they broke up.

The way I see it, Mo was in denial about how their relationship had deteriorated and thought that if she kept acting like she normally did, things would settle down between them. Meanwhile, Harriet lost the shine that she could 'fix' Mo and got fed up with how Mo never turns 'off' with her activism.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

EasyEW posted:

Funky WInkerbean, in which oh, I guess he thinks we're not doing social distancing now, either.

Crankshaft

You know what bugs me about the lip service paid to COVID? It reminds me of- do you have that friend or acquantaince who complains so often about how hard it has been to quarantine or wear their mask or social distance and how they just can't wait for it to all be over, but any time you've ever actually seen them, they haven't loving done any of those things?

How Wonderful! posted:

Here's a recipe for war cake from an anonymous 1940s cookbook/diary-- "No butter, no eggs, no milk, delicious!":

not sure if someone else pointed thsi out already but I'm parsing hte script as "brown sugar" myself

Mark Trail has been losing me with this storyline :sigh: I will continue reading for the sake of Hot Vulnerable Mark but i'm pretty checked out with this LA trip and the way things just seem to keep happening without building on each other or seeming to go somewhere interesting

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Wallace is so good. I hope kids are actually reading it, God knows how an elementary schooler finds and consumes media these days.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

And since Frumpleorz is missing(:ohdear:), I've decided to pick up The Lockhorns

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I should probably reassess my life and how I got here, now that I sympathize with Leroy Lockhorn so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

How Wonderful! posted:

Spoiler for nudity:

VCR's had been commercially available since the mid-80s but they still cost. In 1994 a new VCR would set you back $200 or more.