Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I kinda figure at one point in time Xavier would have just telepathically shown most anyone who was an X-Man or X-Men affiliated a picture of Farouk with the warning "this is a bad guy who can mind control people. If you see him and aren't being mind controlled yourself, there's a decent chance your best friend might suddenly try and kill you"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
briefing new x-men and students on who the big recurring threats are is so eminently sensible that i hadn't considered it. the others are either very new or very young, but it is kind of strange that anole wouldn't know who farouk is. i dunno, maybe farouk made him forget?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I kinda figure at one point in time Xavier would have just telepathically shown most anyone who was an X-Man or X-Men affiliated a picture of Farouk with the warning "this is a bad guy who can mind control people. If you see him and aren't being mind controlled yourself, there's a decent chance your best friend might suddenly try and kill you"

Yeah, this makes sense. Xavier even trained all his students in telepathic resistance techniques (I think this is originally from Claremont, but it comes up periodically in modern runs - Sunspot calls back to it in USAvengers), and given Xavier's past experience with him, the Shadow King would have been like, probably the number one telepathic threat he'd have wanted his proteges to watch out for.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

briefing new x-men and students on who the big recurring threats are is so eminently sensible that i hadn't considered it. the others are either very new or very young, but it is kind of strange that anole wouldn't know who farouk is. i dunno, maybe farouk made him forget?

the only time I've seen this mentioned is characters bemoaning the fact that they're xmen and haven't studied past foes, i want to say that both Havok and Polaris have expressed this?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Caught up with books yesterday and X-Men 19 is the book Hickman has wanted to write his whole life. Just pure, distilled Hickman.

Hellions 10 is the best single issue of a comic since Immortal Hulk 25. Confirm? Confirmed.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
My familiarity with the X-men between Claremont and Hickman is pretty patchy so I read X-men Legacy by Si Spurrier over the last few days and uh, that's good X-men.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cloks posted:

My familiarity with the X-men between Claremont and Hickman is pretty patchy so I read X-men Legacy by Si Spurrier over the last few days and uh, that's good X-men.

The quality between Claremont and Hickman is ALSO pretty patchy so that was probably a smart move.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

The quality between Claremont and Hickman is ALSO pretty patchy so that was probably a smart move.

Yeah, there's a lot of good comics between the two, but there's a lot more not good comics also.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Top of my head, let's see, good stuff between Claremont and the Hickman era, there's:

Peter David's X-Factor
Grant Morrison's X-Men (obviously)
Fabien Nicieza's Cable & Deadpool
Mike Carey's X-Men
Kieron Gillen's short run
Peter Milligan's run (pretty alright)
Zeb Wells New Mutants
Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force
Jason Aaron's Wolverine and X-Men (had its moments)
Elliot Kalan's Spider-Man & X-Men
Simon Spurrier's X-Men Legacy
Tom Taylor's X-Men Red

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Dawgstar posted:

I'm currently at 1999 and... I know.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Saoshyant posted:

Top of my head, let's see, good stuff between Claremont and the Hickman era, there's:

Peter David's X-Factor
Mike Carey's X-Men
Zeb Wells New Mutants
Tom Taylor's X-Men Red

Throw on Hopeless' Cable and X-Force and that's about right.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 25, 2021

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I really want to re-read the Carey era but drat there were a lot of multi-part crossovers that hopped between titles during that time

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Saoshyant posted:

Peter David's X-Factor
Mike Carey's X-Men
Zeb Wells New Mutants
Tom Taylor's X-Men Red

Out of these I've read

Peter David's X-Factor
Grant Morrison's X-Men
Tom Taylor's X-Men Red

and yeah, they're all good. I'd throw Tom Taylor's All New Wolverine in as well, even though it's more of a solo title.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Larry Hama wrote a really long and weird Wolverine run that I think is on the whole engaging and fun. I also like Alan Davis' solo comeback to Excalibur and Marjorie Liu's breifish stint on Astonishing X-Men. I like the BMB stuff well enough too but I think I'm in the minority here about that.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Yeah, lots of stuff I didn't remember. Hopeless' X-Force, Larry Hama's Wolverine, Tom Taylor's Wolverine... even some of the not amazing runs weren't bad at all, just not particularly memorable like Matt Fraction's. Or Ed Brubaker's and Joe Casey's.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Ugggghhhhh Hama's Wolvie is the worst part of every crossover it is involved in. gently caress Mustang so hard.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

How Wonderful! posted:

I also like Alan Davis' solo comeback to Excalibur that.

Still probably my favorite run in comics ever.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I like these kinds of conversations once we get into the contentious bits. Like I strongly dislike Casey's run, am totally ambivalent on Brubaker's, and recently found myself extremely frustrated with Fraction's because he's throwing out so many new ideas, which I love, but so many of them are clumsy or feel to me like false starts or just shooting off entirely in the wrong direction. At the same time I will go to the grave defending Larry Hama's Wolverine which, objectively, is VERY FREQUENTLY incoherent and annoying.

I mean deep down in my heart of hearts, you know-- I've purged all the Ellis and all the Whedon from my collection but if I were to see any issues of the Lobdell/Bachalo Gen X out in the wild I would be sorely tempted to grab them because something about that run just sang to me when I was younger.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Hama wrote the Fatal Attractions part where they are crashing a plane for a whole issue. He wrote a Phalanx Covenant issue where Scott, Jean, and Cable climb a loving mountain the whole time (with extremely dumb justification as to why Jean can't just carry them). His Operation Zero Tolerance contribution was 3 issues where people talk without saying anything, and also loving Mustang.

Maybe outside of the crossovers he did good work (I remember his run with Silvestri being okay when I was a kid?) but this stuff was bad.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think Hamas Wolverine is incoherent but incoherent in a way where a story where Wolverine—especially of that era—was the narrator.

It also is very influential which is both good and bad since now Wolverine stories are just Mad Libs of those books.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hama gave us Elsie Dee and Albert so he’s fine. :colbert:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

It's been ages since I read all of Wolverine but I always associate Hama with the stories wherein Logan was written with the most warmth and humanity and humor which is my favorite version of him. Maybe I've got him mixed up with other writers but I think of his run very fondly.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel like Wolverine may have had more total pages in Marvel Comics Presents than he did in his own comic in the early 90s. Surely some of my memories of incoherent early 90s Wolverine stories are actually from there.

My biggest complaint about the Wolverine omnibus is that they didn’t print the entire issue of each MCP, or even the back covers.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Si Spurrier's X-Force is the best run of the title's history

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I just caught up with X-Force and I appreciate what they're trying to do with rejecting human fashion and being mutants, Quire's pink hover frames are the stupidest loving thing and I hate them.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

rantmo posted:

It's been ages since I read all of Wolverine but I always associate Hama with the stories wherein Logan was written with the most warmth and humanity and humor which is my favorite version of him. Maybe I've got him mixed up with other writers but I think of his run very fondly.

No, I agree, Hama's Wolverine is what I think of when I think of Wolverine.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Yeah. I think Claremont did phenomenal work on turning Wolverine into a rich character, but Larry Hama really made him feel like an old, old man who had been around and seen a lot of things. There was this weariness to his Logan as well as the weird gratitude of the survivor.

His prose was also richer and stranger than the prosaic writing of a lot of Marvel scripters at the time. I still think once in awhile about the issue where he fights Bloodscream in the snow and they have this very Lone Wolf & Cub-like final duel, in which Logan recites a haiku and Bloodscream calls a katana a "heathen snickersnee." I thought for ages that Hama was citing a real, historical haiku by a poet named Shingen, and I was blown away when I realized that he had written it itself. Is it a great haiku? In hindsight, no, not really, but it was sure better than the crappy doggerel most comics churned out when they had to write a prophecy or Etrigan.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I want to throw Dennis Hopeless's All-New X-Men into the ring, it didn't last long and was roped into multiple crossovers but putting together a team of young mutants (the time displaced Original Five X-Men, Laura/X-23, Evan/Genesis, Idie) who were all united and dealing with What Everyone + Time Travel is Telling Them They're Going to End Up Being was a good hook and played out in some fun ways. It was honestly a better justification for doing the time displaced Original Five X-Men thing than Bendis ever really got around to doing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

, but it was sure better than the crappy doggerel most comics churned out when they had to write a prophecy or Etrigan.

It's really funny when you read a Kevin Smith comic that has Etrigan in it immediately after reading Alan Moore's Swamp Thing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

I want to throw Dennis Hopeless's All-New X-Men into the ring, it didn't last long and was roped into multiple crossovers but putting together a team of young mutants (the time displaced Original Five X-Men, Laura/X-23, Evan/Genesis, Idie) who were all united and dealing with What Everyone + Time Travel is Telling Them They're Going to End Up Being was a good hook and played out in some fun ways. It was honestly a better justification for doing the time displaced Original Five X-Men thing than Bendis ever really got around to doing.

His solo book on young Jean was good, too, even as it had stuff to do with the Phoenix but at least it had a better rationale than most books that try to use it (re: "I'm going to do WHAT in the future?"). I think part of my problem with HoX Jean thus far is we were coming off two really solid books with it and X-Men Red that had Jean as the centerpiece and she kind of got shoved to the side.

I'd also recommend his OGN on the O5 he did with Jamie McKelvie. Lot of fun. (Also Jean focused.)

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

TwoPair posted:

I just caught up with X-Force and I appreciate what they're trying to do with rejecting human fashion and being mutants, Quire's pink hover frames are the stupidest loving thing and I hate them.

Is that not the reaction that Quire would be going for?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Is that not the reaction that Quire would be going for?

he's trying to be better now

keyword is trying

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Caught up with SWORD and Ewing is one of the few people that could make me give a poo poo about Everytime-Venom's-Not-On-Panel-Others-Should-Be-Asking-Where's-Venom AND a sibling space murder fight that was seemingly disconnected from other poo poo. I love how the humiliation of Cortez is leading to something darker. It's all fun and Peeper until someone gets hurt.

Way of X is off to a great start. Almost two years in and we're finally getting some questions about the morality of Krakoa. I also love how the youth interpretation of resurrection is so different from Kurt's. Shades of Morrison's idea of mutants-as-youth-culture there.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Didn’t know about this book. Definitely g long to check it out (mainly for Genesis).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no matter what else happens, quire will never manage to be cool. the pink tk glasses are just the latest example of this absolute law of reality.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Oh, found more. Gonna spoiler mark these, but I'll say I'm completely in love with Pixie's

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

And even more: X-Factor, Excalibur, other villains, and different Xavier concepts

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Bobby and Bishop look like they've interpreted this as a very different type of party to the rest.
And Laura in a dress feels like the wrong choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gaz-L posted:

Bobby and Bishop look like they've interpreted this as a very different type of party to the rest.
And Laura in a dress feels like the wrong choice.
I assume Shan lost a bet, or else that outfit will look better in motion, because Jesus