Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m confused it wasn’t even a negative joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it was a trap to draw out the people who actually have memories of frat boys bullying them to call it a negative

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Doltos posted:

Could they have? Other teams can trade up or trade down. Nothing's guaranteed until the teams ahead of you make their selection and they were most likely afraid that someone would want him more, thus the trade. The NFL is also not Madden. You can't just call up someone multiple times over and over offering the minimum amount of assets to get something.

Yea, you are correct that they are not guaranteed to get their player at 6, especially if there is one player that they want and they do not value the other 2 available QBs equally. Obviously they had 3 specific players in mind before trading up to 3 to guarantee they would get one of them, I am assuming their pick has been set in stone since then and that they have not been bouncing around from Mac to Fields to Lance like any rando with a blog has been suggesting. The pick could be Mac, it just feels like the least likely option to me :shrug:.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Doltos posted:

Could they have? Other teams can trade up or trade down. Nothing's guaranteed until the teams ahead of you make their selection and they were most likely afraid that someone would want him more, thus the trade. The NFL is also not Madden. You can't just call up someone multiple times over and over offering the minimum amount of assets to get something.

Every year there's a couple of guys all the pundits have ranked 5th or 6th on their board at their position that the actual scouting fraternity has rated much higher. There's always guys who go in the first or second and the talking heads go "Oh we had him as our 10th ranked lineman - surprised to see him as the third off the board" and then when the dust settles there's a bunch of articles that come out that nearly every team really liked the guy. The draft gets so much coverage and there's so many hot takes that there becomes a perpetual bullshit cycle. We saw it with Herbert last year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
To me this whole thing is dumb which is why it's being quoted but I'm more fascinated with the 'guy'ness going on here.

https://twitter.com/Marcus_Mosher/status/1385763886826151937

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 24, 2021

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Borsche69 posted:

frat bros are cool. page 69

Nice.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Here are the McGinn pieces with random scouts.

https://twitter.com/BobMcGinn/status/1384960934750429184
https://twitter.com/BobMcGinn/status/1385362240086364164
https://twitter.com/BobMcGinn/status/1385715882274525191
https://twitter.com/BobMcGinn/status/1385979510923857920

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
I only read the qb section so far but most of the scouts he quoted sounded like 80 years old. Fields was successively compared to mcnabb, cam newton and jameis winston. It's probably the worst of these kinds of articles about the qbs I've read

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wonder if other people are as annoyed by the athletic as I am.

It seems that it stole all the writers from pretty much everywhere and then put them behind a paywall. And a fairly pricey paywall at that. I mean pricey for just news articles.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

It seems that it stole all the writers from pretty much everywhere and then put them behind a paywall. And a fairly pricey paywall at that. I mean pricey for just news articles.

2.99 a mo?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

joe football posted:

I only read the qb section so far but most of the scouts he quoted sounded like 80 years old. Fields was successively compared to mcnabb, cam newton and jameis winston. It's probably the worst of these kinds of articles about the qbs I've read

Yeah that Fields summary was just awful. I've read enough McGinn articles over the years to know scouts are dumb but yeesh.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

It's 7.99 a month. I see they have a special running right now for $1 a month for the first 6 months. I think that's new because last time I checked I think it was $60 a year or $7.99 a month.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Waltzing Along posted:

I can see that but you can get it for 50% off with a code fairly easily, and it's worth $29.99. It's pretty much the best sports website now, with what, ESPN at a more distant 2? SI.com is horrible, nothing on Foxsports, maybe there's some other site I'm missing with decent articles.

To be fair, even at full price it's a decent value. Nick Underhill's Saints site (https://neworleans.football) is 9/month or 89/year without any discount codes, but he's one of the best beat writers the Saints ever had. He jumped FROM the Athletic when they had him for a year covering the Patriots to come back to New Orleans to start this. It's a little high to me, but it's how he's trying to make his living and I want to support his reporting.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I liked Fields being compared to a not fat Ben Roethlisberger who runs more smoothly.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

BlindSite posted:

I liked Fields being compared to a not fat Ben Roethlisberger who runs more smoothly.

I would draft that guy 100 times out of 100

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

D-LINK posted:

I would draft that guy 100 times out of 100

If you dig up old big ben scouting reports they read remarkably similar.

Both throw from a strong base with good mechanics and footwork

Both punish defenses with their feet opportunistically and will do the tough poo poo when needed but aren't overly dynamic scramblers

Both hold the ball a little too long at times leading to throws being harder than they need to and float their deep ball a little.

Both have excellent touch and accuracy

Both have minor (dumb) questions about their consistency against the blitz and occasionally moving into pressure.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Assuming the Niners actually take Mac third--what do you think they could trade Jimmy G for? To me he's basically a poor man's Alex Smith (pre terrible injuries) in terms of value, but given how loving valuable QBs are that could still be worth what, a mid to late first rounder?

Like Carolina would have won 3-4 more games with Jimmy G last year.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Raku posted:

Assuming the Niners actually take Mac third--what do you think they could trade Jimmy G for? To me he's basically a poor man's Alex Smith (pre terrible injuries) in terms of value, but given how loving valuable QBs are that could still be worth what, a mid to late first rounder?

Give him back to Bill for a second rounder.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Emory Hunt has Aaron Banks with the exact same draft grade as Trevor Lawrence...

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Silly Burrito posted:

I think this is the most likely outcome.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Lmao, Peter Schragers mock has the Pats trading up to 12 with the Eagles to get DaVonta Smith. No way that happens

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Silly Burrito posted:

This is what Bill believes anyway.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Raku posted:

I doubt it since he’s not actually that much better, if any, than Bridgewater, and he can’t stay on the field anyway. He’s been in SF for four seasons and he’s played 6, 3, 16, and 6 games in those four seasons.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I am much less concerned about Garoppolo's injuries vs him just not being a very good QB. He is the anti-Alex Smith, where Smith looked worse than his talent level due to a long period of terrible coaching, Garoppolo has had nothing but the best circumstances when it comes to coaching and is barely league average. He pads his numbers when the team is up by 20 and shits the bed whenever he is needs to make a play for a close game.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 25, 2021

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I doubt it since he’s not actually that much better, if any, than Bridgewater, and he can’t stay on the field anyway. He’s been in SF for four seasons and he’s played 6, 3, 16, and 6 games in those four seasons.

Yeah but they went to a superbowl in one of those seasons

Which they very clearly wouldn't have done with teddy

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Raku posted:

Yeah but they went to a superbowl in one of those seasons

Which they very clearly wouldn't have done with teddy

In the 2019 divisional and conference playoff games in which they won, Garoppolo had 17 completions total between both games. They could have won with Bridgewater because the QB did not actually need to do anything.

208 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT for the two games combined, really put the team on his back.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 25, 2021

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Not really convinced that this guy

Is much of an upgrade over this guy

Jimmy has one good season supported by the best defense and run game in the league that year, and even then it’s still merely a good season, not a great one. His best year is a middling Kirk Cousins year and the rest of the time he will be bad and hurt.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Jimmy’s stat line in that NFCCG is still hilarious.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Jimmy’s stat line in that NFCCG is still hilarious.

That's Mahomes-like compared to Flacco vs the Patriots in the 2009 playoffs

this was a blowout Ravens win

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That was the greatest game ever played.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

AndrewP posted:

That's Mahomes-like compared to Flacco vs the Patriots in the 2009 playoffs

this was a blowout Ravens win

I was at this Patriots/Ravens game. Ravens went up 21 in like 5 minutes.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
https://youtu.be/ETV9BdCQjxY

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

back on topic, I am currently obsessed with the idea of the Ravens trading 27+31 for something around the #12 and get Devonta Smith

it's not gonna happen but it will sustain me until Thursday when they inevitably trade down and crush my dreams

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 25, 2021

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I like Smith but isn't he an awful fit for the Ravens? He and Hollywood would be our obvious 1 2 and both of them are too tiny to block at all.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe but I'm not that worried about fit when it comes to a guy as good as Smith. He's so insanely reliable and Lamar already has trust issues when it comes to WRs, I think he could be a huge asset

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1386364734950227968?s=19

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Just don't have weaknesses! Nice insight, coach.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
2021 NFL Draft Consensus Big Board: 50 lists, one ranking of the top 300 prospects https://theathletic.com/2530534/202..._shared_article
Here’s the top 32

quote:

PLAYER SCHOOL POSITION
Trevor Lawrence
Clemson
QB

Kyle Pitts
Florida
TE

Penei Sewell
Oregon
OT

Ja'Marr Chase
LSU
WR

Justin Fields
Ohio State
QB

Zach Wilson
BYU
QB

Jaylen Waddle
Alabama
WRS

DeVonta Smith
Alabama
WR

Rashawn Slater
Northwestern
OT

Patrick Surtain II
Alabama
CB

Micah Parsons
Penn State
LB

Trey Lance
North Dakota State
QB

Jaycee Horn
South Carolina
CB

Kwity Paye
Michigan
EDGE

Christian Darrisaw
Virginia Tech
OT

Alijah Vera-Tucker
USC
OG

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah
Notre Dame
LB

Caleb Farley
Virginia Tech
CB

Jaelan Phillips
Miami (FL)
EDGE

Azeez Ojulari
Georgia
EDGE

Teven Jenkins
Oklahoma State
OT

Najee Harris
Alabama
RB

Trevon Moehrig
TCU
S

Mac Jones
Alabama
QB

Zaven Collins
Tulsa
LB

Greg Newsome II
Northwestern
CB

Christian Barmore
Alabama
DL3T

Bateman
Minnesota
WR

Kadarius Toney
Florida
WR

Travis Etienne
Clemson
RB

Gregory Rousseau
Miami (FL)
EDGE

Jayson Oweh
Penn State
EDGE

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 25, 2021

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Who the hell changed the name of my thread title to some footballabsurdity lame rear end pun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
This thread belongs to ehuds daughter