Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That's like americans that drink Busch. They buy it because it's cheap and somehow like it.

From several pages ago but I drink Busch, Natty, Bud Light, etc because I hate the taste of beer (maybe the hopps? Idk) and pisswater beer goes down without grossing me out.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gansett as God intended

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

boop the snoot posted:

From several pages ago but I drink Busch, Natty, Bud Light, etc because I hate the taste of beer (maybe the hopps? Idk) and pisswater beer goes down without grossing me out.

I don't drink much, but after being dry for a few years, I'm a little picky because I'm not going to plow through a 12 pack nightly. Fortunately there's enough options for local poo poo. When I do want to plow through a 12 pack again, it's probably coors light I'll be pounding. But if it's just an occasional beer, I'll drink some citrus lined poo poo like Shock Top.

Got an uncle that drinks Busch day in, day out, if he's not on the schedule to drive. He is to cheap beer what I am to weed, moth to a flame.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The navy base on Crete has Pabst, yeunling and anchorsteam so really that covers whole US from coast to coast.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Best PA local poo poo is Lion's Head. Followed shortly by the summer shandy people.

E- and anyone with an idea of history called the Forever Wars the same day.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 25, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

People actively seek out and consume PBR on a regular basis.

Friend of mine had a roommate who would come home from work, grab his one beer mug, fill it with ice and go into his room carrying one of his 2 six packs of pbr he bought in his way home.

A few hours later he'd come out, re ice hus mug, grab his 2nd sixpack, and we wouldn't see him again until the next morning

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

hypnophant posted:

Coopers is the good Aussie beer. Fosters is so bad they have to sell it overseas

I remember Redback being decent but it’s been like a decade so my memory may be off

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?id=1250751

Holy poo poo

Hunter S Thompson predicted the forever war hours after 9/11

I read fear and loathing on the campaign trail during the 2004 campaign and other than the technology and names involved it might as well have been about the current election, or any after that save trump's.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Thompson was an American prophet. He saw the whole elephant, and it drove him mad. The drug abuse was just a coping mechanism.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

CainFortea posted:

Friend of mine had a roommate who would come home from work, grab his one beer mug, fill it with ice and go into his room carrying one of his 2 six packs of pbr he bought in his way home.

A few hours later he'd come out, re ice hus mug, grab his 2nd sixpack, and we wouldn't see him again until the next morning

Dear god.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

My initial reaction was "well, that's just 8 German-sized beers, a hefty load, but at least not someone downing a bottle of vodka, bit concerning that they're just drinking by themselves in their room".

My second reaction was "hold the gently caress on, they're doing this after work...every day??" :stare:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

How is beer in America so cheap, a 12 pack of PBR a day is a 25 dollar a day habit in Ontario

Mind you a pack of darts is also around 12-15 bucks

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

MRC48B posted:

Thompson was an American prophet. He saw the whole elephant, and it drove him mad. The drug abuse was just a coping mechanism.

If trucker speed had been around in the 1800s Toqueville would've written everything Thompson did

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I never considered Tocqueville the precursor of Thompson but that scans thinking about it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MA-Horus posted:

How is beer in America so cheap, a 12 pack of PBR a day is a 25 dollar a day habit in Ontario

There's a lot of breweries in the US. Quantity over quality.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

orange juche posted:

Also probably a bit of the history and culture of the nation being kinda against alcohol. Ime americans seems more likely to go 'i just won't drink this week' that other nations, most of whom seem to see drinking yourselves to death as a national sport

We were founded by people run out of europe for being crazy anti-pleasure nuts, and I'm pretty sure we are the only ones dumb enough to try prohibition

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

orange juche posted:

Cheap beer has nothing to do with having a lot of US breweries, it's about US industrial production at a vast scale.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

orange juche posted:

Got to make it affordable to be crushing a 12 pack every night.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Crushing a 12 pack a night is light work.

By 82d standards, that poo poo is quaint.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Photos of the lost sub are coming out, broke into 3 pieces, so yeah, everyone's gone

https://twitter.com/datukhensem/status/1386291900445954048?s=20

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

MA-Horus posted:

Taxes.

I remember going over the duty free limit on my liquor declarations at Canada customs when I travelled from LA to Vancouver, usually some cheap (tequila or wine). You are allowed one 750ml bottle and I’d usually show up with a bunch of those or 1.5 liters. No two bottles the same(sign that I’m not planning to flip it) and declare everything. Customs will inspect it and wave me through. I guess they hate doing the tax paperwork.

Except one guy at the Vancouver airport who told me it was a 100% duty over the limit. I busted out my receipts (still cheaper than buying it local in that case) the guy still waved me through with no duty.

They must really hate doing the paperwork.

That being said it’s not true going the other way, I’d figure I’d get a break on crown royal going the other way at the Canadian duty free store... nope cheaper to buy it stateside..

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?id=1250751

Holy poo poo

Hunter S Thompson predicted the forever war hours after 9/11

There were dozens of articles and stories about the new american century, the neo-conservative agenda, etc etc in the aftermath of 9/11. Particularly after the drums of war with Iraq got going.

Sadly Americans being stupid, violent, and intellectually lazy is not a recent phenomenon. Bin Laden essentially knocked the USA off of it's course as perpetual world hegemon.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

MA-Horus posted:

Taxes. It’s why booze in Canada is so expansive.

Edit: this is the cheapest vodka I can get rn, about $17 US.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 25, 2021

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
This isn't really much of a current event, considering it's just a remake of Twister, made in 1996.

https://twitter.com/DaveyCenter/status/1386401474301759489

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

facialimpediment posted:

This isn't really much of a current event, considering it's just a remake of Twister, made in 1996.

https://twitter.com/DaveyCenter/status/1386401474301759489

COW!!!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

While yes, a 12 pack a day is a bit shocking, I'm surprised none of you mentioned the ice in the beer.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

No that was the part that got me

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Eh, Ice doesn't bother me. It's not that unusual- I've known a few people that did it.

Tangentially related because it was a dude who did ice in his beer- he also ate steamed shrimp whole. Like shell, tail, whole thing popped in his maw like a peanut.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Drink your beer water with or without ice. Makes no difference. Though I know someone out there is calling it a hangover deterrent. Probably someone from Ohio, if I had to guess. Ice in beer just feels like something Ohioans would do.

My supporting evidence is whatever they call their "chili."

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Drink your beer water with or without ice. Makes no difference. Though I know someone out there is calling it a hangover deterrent. Probably someone from Ohio, if I had to guess. Ice in beer just feels like something Ohioans would do.

My supporting evidence is whatever they call their "chili."

As someone from Ohio I've never heard of ice in beer.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Flikken posted:

As someone from Ohio I've never heard of ice in beer.

Natural (Natty) Ice?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Smirnoff Ice?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Ok, I rephrase, I've never heard of the practice of pouring beer into a mug full of ice

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Lmfao crypto coin go down. Cross posting from DOOMSDAY

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

BUT NUMBER ONLY GO UP?!?!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
:sickos:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
lol

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Stravag posted:

BUT NUMBER ONLY GO UP?!?!

It’s actually bouncing back because of the coin cultists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Why would someone sell coins at volume like that? Wouldn't it make more sense to spread out 25+ transactions to keep from tanking the value?