Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

So basically it's boros Teshar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Silhouette posted:

So basically it's boros Teshar?

No it honestly plays more like a black reanimator deck where you dump big robotic angels and metal dragons into your graveyard and then make two of them.

Like imagine an opening of like

T1 Sol Ring
T2 Osgir
T3 Pirate’s Pillage, Discarding Wurmcoil
T4 make 2 Wurmcoils

That’s the sort of play pattern the deck is pretty clearly designed to provide. Whether or not that seems fun to you is subjective.

The coolest play I made with the deck was saccing the new copy mirror/mana rock, then reanimating two copies of it back into play, except both of the mirrors became copies of Hellkite Tyrant, and I just immediately steal everyone’s board.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

So, thread, I kinda want to throw together a super battlecruiser-y angels deck of some kind. Understanding it’s gonna be slow and I’ll have to force a reasonable amount of interaction/tools into it somehow, what do you guys think is the best place to start? I wanted to be in Orzhov at first, but some of the Marsh angel commanders seem to give you a bit more flexibility, extra combat steps, etc. (e: by which I mean the Boros Angel commanders really, but I am having a hard time getting myself excited about playing just plain Boros. The mardu angels are what, Kaalia? And she’s Angel, Dragon plus? Not just Angel.)

Power level would be battlecruiser with an attempt to have a win con of turning fliers sideways a bunch. I’ll probably be behind the playgroup in actual win percentage but whatever, I just want a timmy-ish angels deck that still presents meaningful decisions while playing. (I know the last clause is hard when your deck is sixty Serra Angel copies and a bunch of plains.) Budgets probably $200-$250.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 24, 2021

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Arcturas posted:

So, thread, I kinda want to throw together a super battlecruiser-y angels deck of some kind. Understanding it’s gonna be slow and I’ll have to force a reasonable amount of interaction/tools into it somehow, what do you guys think is the best place to start? I wanted to be in Orzhov at first, but some of the Marsh angel commanders seem to give you a bit more flexibility, extra combat steps, etc. (e: by which I mean the Boros Angel commanders really, but I am having a hard time getting myself excited about playing just plain Boros. The mardu angels are what, Kaalia? And she’s Angel, Dragon plus? Not just Angel.)

Power level would be battlecruiser with an attempt to have a win con of turning fliers sideways a bunch. I’ll probably be behind the playgroup in actual win percentage but whatever, I just want a timmy-ish angels deck that still presents meaningful decisions while playing. (I know the last clause is hard when your deck is sixty Serra Angel copies and a bunch of plains.) Budgets probably $200-$250.

Have you considered Clerics + angel tokens?

this is a rough draft of a lifegain deck that uses lifegain to make angel tokens: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/CJ-DJPImLU2eUn-HFNx0_w

This is Kaalia with only angel creatures: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/f1meWSULPEqAZbg5MPgPeQ

The kaalia deck would be a lot more aggressive and higher power.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Arcturas posted:

Selesnya tokens and enchantments with Divine Visitation and Sigil of the Empty Throne with Shalai at the helm sounds like what you want

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We have a dedicated Angels player at my shop, he’s a 60 year old man who lives in a church managed group-home.

He has

Mono-W Foil Angels
Mono-R Akroma Voltron
U/W Linvala Angel Wrath Tribal
G/W Angel Tokens

Mardu Angels with extra combats sounds like it would be a fine deck, but of all his decks, UW Angels is absolutely the strongest, because he has the strongest interaction up, and also being able to wrath away everyone else’s creatures while you’re humble commander blows herself up to save all your own angels is a pretty solid battle cruiser strategy. If anyone else plays a dragon or an otherwise bigger flier than an angel, he can mind control it or bounce it.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Arcturas posted:

If you're going for battlecruiser turning angels sideways, just make Lyra Dawnbringer. my gf has a lyra deck, and it has all the good angel beaters, some mana ramp, some interaction (lots of removal, artifact/enchantment hate, settle the wreckage) and then a bunch of card draw (endless atlas, palace jailer, court of grace, coercive portal, mask of memory, well of lost dreams, herald's horn, icon of ancestry, etc). It's great for battlecruiser magic because it draws a lot of cards and then has to turn them sideway to win. the +1/+1 and lifegain from the commander is also actually much better than it first seems

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks all! The Lyra deck, and that Linvala wrath deck look pretty sweet. As does that Kaalia deck. The cleric/angel token deck is interesting but I'm not sure I'm in the mood for it. Maybe I'll goldfish a few hands to see how it feels.

Shalai I hadn't really thought about, but I don't really want an enchantress deck since my brother has an enchantress deck and it feels really linear to pilot.

I'll poke around a bit and post something in a bit.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Arcturas posted:

So, thread, I kinda want to throw together a super battlecruiser-y angels deck of some kind.

My big suggestion is to understand that angels are big fat idiots who you never want to pay full price on, if possible. Your basic options for that are Kaalia, Reanimator with looting, Some kind of free cast mechanism like Cryptic Gateway, or fake angel tokens. Every time you spend 6+ Mana to hardcast and Angel, you are getting further behind the players who are making better value plays.

Basically, it's the same deck building process as always, though: Figure out how you win, figure out how to get to that point efficiently, fill with things that facilitate your plan or address the things opponents will do to hinder you (or win faster).

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Nothing feels better than Finale of Glory x10 with divine visitation and akromas memorial on board

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Silhouette posted:

Nothing feels better than Finale of Glory x10 with divine visitation and akromas memorial on board

Have you tried a KFC doubledown?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I’ve always wanted to build Angels.dec, but it would probably end up as some Brisela shitpile because I’ve always wanted to get her on the table. They need to errata them to have partner.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

I’ve always wanted to build Angels.dec, but it would probably end up as some Brisela shitpile because I’ve always wanted to get her on the table. They need to errata them to have partner.

Maaan. Brisela's one of those things where I ABSOLUTELY loving LOVE IT in concept but it's just so ridiculously clunky in practice that it's never really worth pulling off.

Make them partners, let Bruna and Gisela have their original colors. Give me Jeskai Angels, WotC.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Framboise posted:

Maaan. Brisela's one of those things where I ABSOLUTELY loving LOVE IT in concept but it's just so ridiculously clunky in practice that it's never really worth pulling off.

Make them partners, let Bruna and Gisela have their original colors. Give me Jeskai Angels, WotC.

The game is virtually over if you pull that off though so... ironically not if you're at a bad table, but at a good table people are not going to be running creature control that costs more than 3, other than total randos like hagra mauling, so if it wasn't clunky, it would be brutal.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I've always wanted to try and find a way to cheat out their merged eldrazi form and just wreck loving face with it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

pseudanonymous posted:

The game is virtually over if you pull that off though so... ironically not if you're at a bad table, but at a good table people are not going to be running creature control that costs more than 3, other than total randos like hagra mauling, so if it wasn't clunky, it would be brutal.

I'd love to see a Divergent Transformation deck that uses Brisela instead of an actual two-creature finisher just as a gently caress you flex in cEDH tables.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

pseudanonymous posted:

Virtually over, perhaps, but there are far cheaper and much more easily assembled ways of ending the game at higher level tables.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I've had some success with my monowhite Sephara deck - Lifegain/Turn Big Fliers sideways. It is, of course, completely hamstrung by being monowhite, but in a perfect boardstate I can have Sephara out in turn 2-3, and it can really snowball.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Everyone at my store has agreed to just allow the Eldrazi Angel sisters to have partner because it’s honestly a design flaw that they don’t and it’s more fun that way. They are not OP.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

Everyone at my store has agreed to just allow the Eldrazi Angel sisters to have partner because it’s honestly a design flaw that they don’t and it’s more fun that way. They are not OP.

In some degree of fairness, Partner didn't exist yet when SoI/Eldritch Moon was a thing... I think?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No I don’t mean like WotC is wrong, it’s just not even close to strong enough for anyone to care about this extremely easy Rule 0 interaction. You are correct, Partner starts in 2016 and the Angel sisters predate that I think, but I’d rather play against them every game than Chulane or Golos or Muldrotha.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Even if Partner did exist for the angels, they still wouldn't have gotten it. Wizards is allergic to putting non-standard-legal mechanics in standard sets.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Speaking of merging towns and people and angels into unspeakable "The Thing"- like horrors, has anyone used hanweir garrison and battlements to wreck poo poo for a win con?

I just really enjoyed getting Arkham Horror into my MTG with Eldritch Moon. :unsmith:

Jiro fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 25, 2021

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

I'd love to see a Divergent Transformation deck that uses Brisela instead of an actual two-creature finisher just as a gently caress you flex in cEDH tables.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/4me1FDGeUEuVeKxC0tGNKA

It's Kykar ramp into one of the polymorphs + a fork or divergent and then taking turns.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Jiro posted:

Speaking of merging towns and people and angels into unspeakable "The Thing"- like horrors, has anyone used hanweir garrison and battlements to wreck poo poo for a win con?

I just really enjoyed getting Arkham Horror into my MTG with Eldritch Moon. :unsmith:

The closest I've ever come to something like that was a Bruna stax deck that used any two of three particular auras to turn Bruna into a one shot killer.

Eldrazi Conscription
Corrupted Conscience
Battle Mastery

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
So, I haven't really played commander, but I am trying to get more of my friends into magic (I left awhile back, and I just started getting back into it with Strixhaven), and if commander is the magic to be played with friends, then play commander I shall.

The problem I've had with getting them into MTG is the difficulty (for them) of brewing decks and the cost of paraphernalia, which I am happy to assume in this instance. I was going to put together a box of eight commander decks (because that's how many 100-card boulders will fit into my card case of choice), specifically made to fight only each other. I thought this was called a "battle box" but apparently that's it's entire own format? I peered through some of the less powerful commanders -- I'm trying to keep the decks low-powered, relatively speaking -- and here's what I thought for the eight decks.

Alena, Kessig Trapper + Halana, Kessig Ranger -> Gruul Battlecruiser Ramp
Miara, Thorn of the Glade + Numa, Joraga Chieftain -> Golgari Elf Tribal
Alharu, Solemn Ritualist + Slurrk, All-Ingesting -> Selesnya Counters & Tokens
Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist + Kediss, Emberclaw Familiar -> Boros Commander Equip
Captain Vargus Wrath -> Izzet Pirate Tribal
Glacian, Powerstone Engineer + Armix, Filigree Thrasher -> Dimir Artifacts Matter
Kangee, Sky Warden -> Azorius Flying Control
Bladewing the Risen -> Rakdos Dragon Tribal

So, heavy emphasis on creatures, but mid-range instead of aggro, enough color-flavored removal to make everyone sweat, try to get everyone at least one or two cool combos to aim for, make sure everyone has enough card draw that the table doesn't slow down too much. Should be plenty of room in a commander deck to make all that possible, right?

Thoughts?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Those seem fine as starting points. Typically people post and maintain lists using websites like Moxfield, and we can much more easily assist or guide you with a decklist than without.

None of your commanders strike me as excessively strong.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Volkova III posted:

Alena, Kessig Trapper + Halana, Kessig Ranger -> Gruul Battlecruiser Ramp
Miara, Thorn of the Glade + Numa, Joraga Chieftain -> Golgari Elf Tribal
Alharu, Solemn Ritualist + Slurrk, All-Ingesting -> Selesnya Counters & Tokens
Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist + Kediss, Emberclaw Familiar -> Boros Commander Equip
Captain Vargus Wrath -> Izzet Pirate Tribal
Glacian, Powerstone Engineer + Armix, Filigree Thrasher -> Dimir Artifacts Matter
Kangee, Sky Warden -> Azorius Flying Control
Bladewing the Risen -> Rakdos Dragon Tribal

Thoughts?

I like all of those, and I wouldn't worry about brewing being a problem, I've been playing off and on since Ice Age and making a coherent deck has always been a problem of mine. Places like EDHREC or MTGGoldfish, Commander's Quarters Budget deck suggestions have been fantastic as starting points. That and just getting comfortable in my own creativity and learning it's totally fine for a deck to not work how you want it to, it just means you keep working on it more.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Arcturas posted:

Not sure if this is of any use to you, but I was loving around with my Gisela Angels Tribal EDH deck and trying to tune it a little because I just got my Kaldhrim cards and my Lorehold precon was about to arrive.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/3936832#paper

It's a little bit out of your budget range (though admittedly I built it when a lot of the super expensive cards in it were worth much less- e.g. Archangel of Thune, Stoneforge Mystic, The 3 Swords, Gisela, Lyra, Avacyn, Archangel of Tithes etc. have all more than doubled in price from when I got them, and some cards that I got for absolute peanuts a decade ago are now pretty valuable (reforge the soul, ejango, akroma's memorial, especially grand abolisher!). FWIW if you take out the Swords package, Balefire Dragon, Abolisher, Arid Mesa, Eiganjo Castle, swap foils for non-foils etc.you can knock about $300 off the price. Then you can replace big pricey cards like Avacyn, Gisela the Broken Blade, Archangel of Thune etc. with more reasonable ones like the Akromas, Aegis Angel etc.

Kaldheim has a lot of good cheap angels (both $/cmc wise) which makes building angel tribal a lot more viable. So I’d look at that set for replacements for the above.

I would also appreciate any C/C from others in the thread - I'm probably cutting Seer's sundial/Entreat the angels/Elspeth for some combination of Monologue Tax/Archaeomancer's Map/Tome of Legends/Luminarch Ascension/Herald's Horn/Mangara to get more draw/ramp.

tomdidiot fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 26, 2021

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
What does the thread think about Dina, Soul Steeper?

A two mana commander, in green and black, that has the other half of the Exquisite Blood combo stapled to it.

I don't know much about CEDH, but at casual tables it feels like you could go off pretty early.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Grevlek posted:

What does the thread think about Dina, Soul Steeper?

A two mana commander, in green and black, that has the other half of the Exquisite Blood combo stapled to it.

I don't know much about CEDH, but at casual tables it feels like you could go off pretty early.

We've been discussing her quite a bit on the goon cedh discord. She's got potential, I think.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
She's a sacrifice outlet for Protean Hulk, part of a "one card" combo with Exquisite Blood, and then there's the compact Witherbloom Apprentice + Chain of Smog combo now. The deck has a few ways to win and might be cEDH material. Kinda excited to see it evolve.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Grevlek posted:

has the other half of the Exquisite Blood combo stapled to it.

does it, though? it only triggers on lifegain, it doesn't care how much you gain at once

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

does it, though? it only triggers on lifegain, it doesn't care how much you gain at once

Yes. It's an infinite loop with both in play. Each triggers the other, so once you trigger either, all your opponents die.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
oh whoops, i was thinking of Sanguine Bond

yeah that makes sense

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s worth mentioning that this cEDH format is basically the Wild West these days, literally anything is viable.

The gulf between Najeela or Grixis Turbo Naus and anything else is honestly not that wide, you can basically run anything with a tight enough ramp/interaction suite to glue it together.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I brewed a new Elder Dragon deck guys, if you can count these new two-color dragons as the real elders...

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/Y8up7HQkpEutiZBZm_-I6Q

Sling and copy spells until the streets run red with brains. I say it's a viable cEDH deck if anything is.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Infinite Karma posted:

I brewed a new Elder Dragon deck guys, if you can count these new two-color dragons as the real elders...

Sling and copy spells until the streets run red with brains. I say it's a viable cEDH deck if anything is.

CEDH is not my realm, but it seems powerful. The inclusion of Trail of Evidence is cool.

Why Lore Drakkis instead of any other spell that does something similar? It's the only mutate card in the deck, as far as I can tell. If it's because it costs only 2 to mutate, that's fine but you need a creature to mutate onto, of which you have 4 non-human creatures and your commander. On the other hand, you have some instant and sorcery synergies, so you could use Flood of Recollection for 2, or Shreds of Sanity or Call To Mind for 3. Since you have Wheels in there, maybe even Mystic Retrieval, which has flashback, but the first time it costs 4.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Infinite Karma posted:

You sure you don't want the guy who lets you draw a card whenever you cast an instant?

Also Impulsive pilferer and storm-kiln artist, past in flames, grapeshot, and you probably want etherflux reservoir just as a backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Magnetic North posted:

CEDH is not my realm, but it seems powerful. The inclusion of Trail of Evidence is cool.

Why Lore Drakkis instead of any other spell that does something similar? It's the only mutate card in the deck, as far as I can tell. If it's because it costs only 2 to mutate, that's fine but you need a creature to mutate onto, of which you have 4 non-human creatures and your commander. On the other hand, you have some instant and sorcery synergies, so you could use Flood of Recollection for 2, or Shreds of Sanity or Call To Mind for 3. Since you have Wheels in there, maybe even Mystic Retrieval, which has flashback, but the first time it costs 4.
In addition to plain old recursion, Dockside Extortionist goes infinite with it and a creature bounce like Unsubstantiate. The flashback stuff is less awesome because the deck likes to loop the good spells multiple times when it's in kill mode. Basically it's just in there as a two-mana regrowth, with a combo upside.

pseudanonymous posted:

You sure you don't want the guy who lets you draw a card whenever you cast an instant?

Also Impulsive pilferer and storm-kiln artist, past in flames, grapeshot, and you probably want etherflux reservoir just as a backup.
I avoided the draw-on-cast guy because it's not a may and I don't wanna deck myself, and because he's pricey at 4 mana. Same with Storm-kiln - he's nice, but at 4 mana, it's hard to have him pay for himself unless I'm already storming off, at which point he's just win-more.

The deck hits big mana really quickly and easily, if it needs anything IMO it's better ways to use big mana instants more consistently when NOT storming off. Just adding a Red Sun's Zenith, maybe?

Past in Flames could be a good call though.