Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

The gn125 has one of those amazing disc brakes that are actually worse than a similar sized drum. My cb125 is the same, it has a cable operated one piece, one piston caliper that tilts on a spindle to accommodate pad motion; it is borderline useless.

These 125s are great tools to learn this sort of poo poo on, i.e. limits of braking, feel, modulation etc.

That being said, I loathe the GN125.

Good thing it's the wife's and I only ever have to ride it to "test it" when something is possibly wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Slavvy posted:

And yet, on some bikes your can gorilla grab the lever to the bar and only slow down moderately.

It's almost as if technique is meant to be an adaptive process to extract the best out of a given machine, and not dogmatic gospel of the One Right Way. Strange.

Oh my god! It’s as if bikes are all made differently?! Why hasn’t Europe stepped in and regulated this madness!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This btw is one of Honda's things. They make the clutch weight, steering and brake feel similar across all models, all informed by ergonomic data ofc, so all Hondas have that fits-like-a-glove sensation.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Slavvy posted:

This btw is one of Honda's things. They make the clutch weight, steering and brake feel similar across all models, all informed by ergonomic data ofc, so all Hondas have that fits-like-a-glove sensation.

After riding my DRZ almost exclusively for a year, who’s clutch bite felt like 3mm with little space for nuance, getting back on my XSR for the first time made for a jerky ride.

It’s was a bit alarming, as I have no point of reference as to what, if any, needs maintenance. The XSR has what feels like an equally narrow bite point, but it’s just in a completely different location.

I guess when you get comfortable with one bike everything is fine, introduce a second briefly and you begin to second guess.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Or both bikes have terribly misadjusted clutch cables.

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:
Well I’ve bought me a bike and I’m super excited about it. It’s a 2018 Ninja 650. I know it’s a bit big for a starter bike but I’m hoping it won’t be to much for me to handle and learn on.

Got all my gear and my MSF course is April 17th and 18th. I can’t wait.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Ninja 650 Crew. :cool:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It’s probably not an ideal starter bike but I’m not one to criticize. I went from a N250 to a N650 really quickly and I have no doubt it’s affected my short term development less than positively. I think the biggest worry I’d have is that the N650 has a real bunch of torque that you can accidentally call on if you give it the beans if you don’t intend to. Just be aware of it and enjoy though!

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 3, 2021

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Those beans are real good merging onto the highway though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

numberoneposter posted:

Those beans are real good merging onto the highway though.

Have you got a gopro yet?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Slavvy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27L62bn__Pg

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

:emptyquote:

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Cmon guys, i started on a dyna and im fine.

(No warrants about riding skills)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:lol: this made my morning

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I scraped my exhaust in a turn today! Pretty proud of myself for getting better with really committing to leaning the bike over.

Unless you guys say I hosed up, if so then I'll feel like an idiot and won't do it again.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jcam posted:

I scraped my exhaust in a turn today! Pretty proud of myself for getting better with really committing to leaning the bike over.

Unless you guys say I hosed up, if so then I'll feel like an idiot and won't do it again.

If it was on a shut throttle: you hosed up, do better lines, learn to use the gas properly.

If it was on the throttle: try to run lines that make it less likely, it isn't bad but it usually means you're turning too sharply because your line is wrong and you're tightening into the turn right when you should be starting to stand up.

If it's a cruiser: yep that'll happen, the time to change bikes is when it starts happening on every corner and making you frustrated.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

took my 650 ninja out tonight for a chill ride and focused on getting my body's center of gravity leaned into the corner not even going that fast but trying to do more than just leading with my shoulders i was making an effort to getting my hips and butt over to the direction of the turn and even a knee out

im also just getting used to the bike as well but properly putting my body towards the corner make the bike just corner easier

i am thinking the saddle needs to be higher and the bars need to be lower to fit me properly though, my legs especially feel a bit cramped

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 7, 2021

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Just checking that a research octane number of 91 is equal to 87 (R+M)/2 rating (US regular)?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Its more complicated than that, but essentially yes.

edit: if you are reading documentation for a euro bike (BMW) 91 RON is 'regular" (87) and 95 is 'super' (91 or 93, depending on which coast you are)

Carteret fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 9, 2021

T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

The weapons you pick up along the way help. At least they help you do less talking.
I rode this home today and it took over a hour and goddamn it was so much fun

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hell yeah CL350 bros :hfive:

I think that's a 1973, right? With definitely some other kind of front end though. CB350G?

Man I need to get out on mine again. It's a blast every time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

T-Shaped posted:

Holy poo poo that's sick. Terrible first bike but awesome nonetheless.

T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

The weapons you pick up along the way help. At least they help you do less talking.

Sagebrush posted:

Hell yeah CL350 bros :hfive:

I think that's a 1973, right? With definitely some other kind of front end though. CB350G?

Man I need to get out on mine again. It's a blast every time.

'72. Previous previous owner swapped the front end from a CB750 apparently, thus the front disc.

Slavvy posted:

Holy poo poo that's sick. Terrible first bike but awesome nonetheless.

It wasn't quite my first choice either, but I already have a Clymers ready and have time blocked off to get it set it just right. With the state of the used market right now and my desire to actually work on something mechanical again, it seemed like a perfect fit. Guy tossed me the original scrambler bars, which I'm tempted to toss back on.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

T-Shaped posted:

:krad:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

That's a nice bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As a one-time CL450 owner, you have chosen wisely.

Gorgeous bike, friend

katka
Apr 18, 2008

Well I’m half way through my first day of the MSF. They just served us a drat good lunch (part of the reason I took it at the BMW performance center) and I’ve been having a blast.

Felt kinda stupid the first few times I stalled out but I got the hang of the clutch pretty quick. Can’t wait till I can get my bike out on the road now

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I rode my friend's cbr600rr the other day and drat if I didn't get back on my own bike feeling like it was a toy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's amazing how different bikes feel from one another. Even when I just switch between my two, the contrast between them makes the CL feel like I'm cheerfully sitting at the dinner table a mile in the air, having a wonderful time, and the Hawk feel like I'm physically merged with this low growling thing that wants nothing more than to leap forwards and hiss around corners.

Or like when I've gone to test ride an electric bike, and got on it feeling like it was a bicycle because there was absolutely zero vibration and noise, and then after getting used to that I'd get back on my gas bike and feel like it was self-destructing underneath me.

I think that's part of why you can never have too many bikes. There are so many kinds to sample

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 17, 2021

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

katka posted:

Well I’m half way through my first day of the MSF. They just served us a drat good lunch (part of the reason I took it at the BMW performance center) and I’ve been having a blast.

Felt kinda stupid the first few times I stalled out but I got the hang of the clutch pretty quick. Can’t wait till I can get my bike out on the road now

What bike are you on for the course?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I had my first legally sanctioned riding lesson yesterday aiming to finally get my licence this summer. The bike is a 2009 650 Versys with ABS. My gear is mostly high-vis and very uncool. I spent about an hour farting around on an empty parking lot (bike was trailered there) followed by a short drive back to the garage through traffic supervised by a friend from work who rides. I'm not afraid of the bike anymore, but very much respectful and painfully aware of how much practice I need to become competent enough not only to get licensed but also to not be a danger to myself or others. I'll need at least some lessons from a professional instructor as well as the mandatory safety and technical courses quite apart from the theoretical stuff - there's no shortcut to the licence here :sweden:
I've never ridden anything bigger than a 250 before and mostly 125cc off-road two-strokes, most recently 15 years ago, so this was a bit different. I also ride bicycles a lot so I have recently swapped around a lot of brake cables/hoses to try and unlearn a lifetime of having the front brake on the left hand which is standard in my part of the world.

Also I've learned that wrenching on motorcycles is fun and easy compared to cars. The bike is in good enough shape (it passed the MOT about 300km ago) but needed some PO fuckery deletes (skid plate, loud exhaust+piggyback ECU, luggage rack/top box). Luckily it came with all the original bits plus a set of frame sliders that are mounted now. All it needs is a new set of tires (Michelin PR4, in the mail) and some new brake fluid and I think it's ready for all I'll use it for this year. I don't know If I'll hang on to it once I'm licensed but I need to be competent on a big bike in order to qualify for the ride-any-motorcycle-you-want licence class, hence the Versys as a first bike. I wanted something relatively tame, fuel injected with ABS around €3000 so that's what I ended up with after failing to find an ER-6n close enough.

katka
Apr 18, 2008

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

What bike are you on for the course?

They’ve got us a 310R.

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

Severely missed my timing coming off my seat over a bump through an intersection at speed. Slammed my juevos down hard on the tank. Had my first experience trying to maintain control and safety whilst squinting through pretty significant discomfort. Will try not to make that mistake again. Also, recently ticked my first 1,000 miles. :shobon:

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I've been trying to build up confidence in taking my bike out on the highway. I don't mind that my 250cc honda tops out at 78mph but I'm still unnerved by how much I get blown around, especially with an upright riding position. I got anxious on the highway after an hour on a recent trip and took city roads the rest of the way. Any tips for feeling more planted and secure?

Also my pillion came off while I was riding the other day. Fortunately I was able to pin it in place with my rear end before it fell off and was able to lock it properly after I pulled over.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Stay loose. The more you tense up the more you provide unneeded input into the steering.

That said, I also still hate highway riding after a year and change, even on a heavier bike. City roads are preferable to me and if I have the option to, I will take them every time.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy or Sagebrush may have more sage wisdom to offer, but I will echo stay loose on the bars, as well as squeeze the tank, and just accept your fate. Even cars get blown by big gusts of wind, and the lightest cars on the road are still 5x heavier. Leaning forward helps me. Every time I ride home from the mountains I get blasted by wind for the first ~10 miles and it sucks.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

T Zero posted:

I've been trying to build up confidence in taking my bike out on the highway. I don't mind that my 250cc honda tops out at 78mph but I'm still unnerved by how much I get blown around, especially with an upright riding position. I got anxious on the highway after an hour on a recent trip and took city roads the rest of the way. Any tips for feeling more planted and secure?

Also my pillion came off while I was riding the other day. Fortunately I was able to pin it in place with my rear end before it fell off and was able to lock it properly after I pulled over.

I have a not super helpful tip which is ride some dirt. Maybe something like cornerspin depending on where you are. It will help you learn that the bike moving under you is OK. The bike really wants to stay up and as a general rule you’re the one that will make bad things happen with overreaction. Otherwise, as folks have said, just accept that there’s some wind and relax and ride through it. My guess is it’s the anticipation of getting blown around that’s causing issues.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
eventually the part of your brain that is scared by things the motorcycle does will wither away

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

T Zero posted:

Getting Blown Around = Totally OK
Getting Headshake because of the speed/wind/gripping too tight/tire issues = NOT OK

Just relax your arms and look where you want to go (which is ahead). Highways are less dangerous than surface streets because you don't have the risk of people running red lights or pulling out in front of you. But it's totally ok to take surface streets when you aren't comfortable with the highway. Always stay in your comfort zone if possible.

Eventually you will really want to get home or whatever and just take the highway because it's the fastest, and you will be okay with it because you enjoy how quickly you get to your destination.

Lastly, even after years of riding I get sketched out by the highway sometimes. It's ok.

Greg12 posted:

eventually the part of your brain that is scared by things the motorcycle does will wither away

:mods: new thread title when?

Coydog fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Greg12 posted: