Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It's Bamco they've always had the resources they are just cheap as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Erg posted:

:hai:

or just playing it again on ps4 or 5 or w/e

graces is one of those games i consider replaying every so often and then remember id have to dig out my ps3 again for
I’ve been using my PS3 regularly for months now. Since the PS5 came out (in an theoretical sense anyway; i’ll be lucky if I can buy one this year), used game shops have been getting rid of their PS3 inventory like crazy. I picked up Graces F for like 300 yen etc.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay update to that thing I said about character elemental divisions-I rewatched the Shionne upgrade bit and it hovers over another Arte of hers:

Gemini Aqua
"Evades to the right, then fires two water shots that fly from side to side on impact."
It has the keywords of Ground Attack and Gun Strike, an AG cost of 1, and the Water element.

So Shionne does have at least one water-based skill.

For reference, Burning Strike is described as:
"A beginner fire arte that drops three fireballs from the skies."
It has the keywords Arte and Astral Arte, an AG cost of 2, and the Fire element.

The other upgrades aren't hovered over, but we do see their names: Increased Max AG (already learned), Increased Near-Death Attack/Elemental Attack, and KO Prevention.

First two are self-explanatory, but is the third, like, a "last chance hit point" that keeps you at one HP? An auto-revive? Is KO not referring to running out of HP and it's a status ailment preventer?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
According to some minor info, Shionne is 19

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I see, she's the old woman of the party

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
How brave of them to have a grandma party member

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tales, well known for jokes about teens being super old?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, don’t you remember all the jokes in Berseria about everyone except Phi being old as poo poo? Like Velvet, the nineteen year old spinster?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Judith is apparently also 19? But she talks and acts like she's older than Yuri who is 21?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
berseria literally had a joke about velvet being too young to drink at 19

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
So I think a Dahnan bow character would also be really cool because I have a little theory that Burst Strikes (the big dual attacks) are like Rebirth, between a frontline and backline, and I really want to see one between Law and a ranged character with no spells, just a barrage of shooting and punching.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Caphi posted:

So I think a Dahnan bow character would also be really cool because I have a little theory that Burst Strikes (the big dual attacks) are like Rebirth, between a frontline and backline, and I really want to see one between Law and a ranged character with no spells, just a barrage of shooting and punching.

From what we've seen, the implication seems to be that every pair of characters will have one?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Just going off of appearances and what we know, Alphen appears to be in the 21-23 range, Linwell is probably about 15 or 16, and Rowe, probably 17 or 18

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Tales, well known for jokes about teens being super old?
it's well known for having a very truncated age range for its main characters and especially female characters

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think it applies that especially harder to female characters unless you just mean there aren't any hot older woman party members to match the hot older dudes in half the games

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I think the oldest female party member in a tales game is Magilou, who's age is never stated but there are hints in the game that she's gotta be close to thirty at a minimum. Raine is 23, Pascal is 22, everybody else I can think of is in their teens. I guess Persea is technically in her 20's too but let's not go there.

It's also more that female party members' ages just aren't really touched on much at all, meanwhile if there's a guy in the party any older than Yuri you better bet they're getting ribbed for their age every other scene.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
if there's a hot older guy in the cast, there must be an equivalent cute little girl. and vice versa.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Why is it that my thoughtful, analytical post about Shionne's Artes and skills doesn't cause any discussion, but a casual age confirmation sends everyone into a tizzy? Seems a bit backwards...

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Sydin posted:

I think the oldest female party member in a tales game is Magilou, who's age is never stated but there are hints in the game that she's gotta be close to thirty at a minimum. Raine is 23, Pascal is 22, everybody else I can think of is in their teens. I guess Persea is technically in her 20's too but let's not go there.

It's also more that female party members' ages just aren't really touched on much at all, meanwhile if there's a guy in the party any older than Yuri you better bet they're getting ribbed for their age every other scene.

Not sure it really counts but IIRC Edna's about 2000 in Zestiria, and Lailah's a thousand or so.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i dont think it applies that especially harder to female characters unless you just mean there aren't any hot older woman party members to match the hot older dudes in half the games
doesn't it?? as far as i remember the oldest female cast members are like in their early twenties, while the series has at least dared to give us guys in their thirties, and exactly one actually old man

not that i'm really that incensed about the specifics of how exactly the ages play out between the boys and girls i was really just making a joke about how everyone is always very young

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there are a ton of early-mid 20s women in tales, a lot of them are in the untranslated ps2 games but like. idk ages are about even overall

Amppelix posted:

doesn't it?? as far as i remember the oldest female cast members are like in their early twenties, while the series has at least dared to give us guys in their thirties, and exactly one actually old man

hey malik hit 40

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Amppelix posted:

and exactly one actually old man

to be fair said old man was actually really goddamn good, Rowan was very funny and also cool

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

to be fair to what??? i agree with you, wasn't i just expressing the sentiment that i would like if the series had more older people

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
i apologize, that came across as more antagonistic than I meant it too, sorry

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you ignore outliers (rowen whose like 70 or some poo poo, anyone whose 100000 years old, anyone whose a dog), the average age for male party members is 21, and the average age for female party members is 18. this is a difference that is almost entirely accounted for in gall, malik, max, will, and eugene, who are all in their 40s. because if you remove them from the equation, the average age for male characters drops to 19.

i will give the following caveats:

1) i counted tempest but did not count symphonia 2.

2) for characters who are playable in multiple games (leon, the xillia cast) i counted their original appearance. for gaius and muzet, i went with their age in xillia 2, since that was their first playable appearance.

3) the full list of excluded characters is as follows: kratos, repede, kunzite, sophie, rowen, lailah, edna, dezel, zaveid, eizen. repede is a dog, sophie has no listed age physically or otherwise, rowen is an extreme outlier even by the standards of the older male characters in these games. everyone else is in the 1000s of years old territory.

4) there are the following edge cases: i counted presea's actual age, and i gave magilou the age of '27'. if you give presea 14 and remove magilou completely, the average stays at 18, just with a lower decimal, so i dont think it matters too much. i did count asch. hes playable about as much as ras is in eternia tbh, and i counted him.

i hope this empirical research puts the matter to rest once and for all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that said i agree an old lady would be cool. put in niime from fire emblem 6. niime is rad.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
JRPGs have always had and will always have implausibly skilled teenagers, I don't know why everyone is acting like this is a new thing

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ngl i had no idea any of those people were in their forties, i guess i should be giving them a bit more credit

jade and raven must have irrevocably tainted my perception of "old" men in this series

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

if you ignore outliers (rowen whose like 70 or some poo poo, anyone whose 100000 years old, anyone whose a dog), the average age for male party members is 21, and the average age for female party members is 18. this is a difference that is almost entirely accounted for in gall, malik, max, will, and eugene, who are all in their 40s. because if you remove them from the equation, the average age for male characters drops to 19.

The fact that ossans get to be in their 30s and 40s and they're a whole rear end trope is pretty big though considering the women tagged as "older" (Raine, Innes, I want to say Grune?) are in their 20s and even then you have to dig for them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jade is a fun version of this where he's constantly whining about back pain to get out of doing poo poo and everyone's like "you're not that loving old"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

The fact that ossans get to be in their 30s and 40s and they're a whole rear end trope is pretty big though considering the women tagged as "older" (Raine, Innes, I want to say Grune?) are in their 20s and even then you have to dig for them.

yeah, i agree, im just saying its more a problem of the outliers rather than every character. when criticizing a problem, its important to identify the actual problem!

Amppelix posted:

ngl i had no idea any of those people were in their forties, i guess i should be giving them a bit more credit

jade and raven must have irrevocably tainted my perception of "old" men in this series
tbf the main gag with jade is that he looks like a handsome younger dude with long hair but hes actually middle-aged, they never go too hard on the old man thing with him. as for raven, i think its partly a cultural thing? its been ages since i looked at anything to do with the jp in vesperia but i think a lot of the times 'old man' gets thrown around with him, the jp is actually calling him an 'uncle.'

calling a 35 year old an old man is a bit much if you arent a kid yourself (which tbf rita is a kid and shes the one going hardest on him), but saying a dude in his 30s has uncle vibes is pretty reasonable. thats a common bit of translation drift in general, since the jp word for uncle is also a common way of referring to guys who are significantly older than you, but not necessarily grandpa old. think 30s-50s. english doesnt really have an equivalent word, we just have 'old.' i might be off base with raven since they do some other older guy gags with him, but that translation drift is def. something that happens in a few other jrpgs at the very least.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The other "gag" with Jade is that the game initially plays him off as the bumbling middle-aged man but it turns out he's actually a sociopath who doesn't really get emotions and intentionally affects the trope to keep those around him off guard. With Raven I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that he's a shell shocked war veteran who's done major service time with both world powers so even though he's only in his early-to-mid 30's he's got a ton of life experience relative to his peers.

But yeah, an older female party member would be cool, really just some more older party members in general. I realize JRPG's are playing to a specific niche and part of this is just that *I'm* getting older, but still. Disco Elysium had tons going for it beyond the character's ages, but it was really refreshing to be focusing your story on two characters in their 40's with a lot of life experience and a resultingly differing worldview than your average RPG protagonists.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah i don't think anyone was saying it's anything new or particularly special not to have older characters in your anime jrpg

but it sure would be nice if that wasn't the status quo!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

personally i dont really mind it. if i wanted stuff with characters in their 30s/40s id read a book or watch prestige tv or smth. part of the vibe of tales to me is that the cast leans late teens/early 20s with one or two older characters around to act as mentors. its part of the fun adventure vibe. not that you cant have fun adventures with older characters but like, the self-discovery angle and people still feeling out their identity is where a lot of the best drama and humor comes from. like i said, an older lady would be a fun change of pace and i wouldnt mind a protagonist whos like, eizen/jade/raven age at some point, but the overall cast doesnt need to be that old or anything.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I talked about this before possibly (I have a crap memory) but a part of me wonders if Alphen's pain immunity and Shionne's curse will have like, minor gameplay connections

Nothing crazy, but, like, Alphen learns the "Your attacks are harder to interrupt" passive earlier than the others do, and Shionne gets passives that make enemies take damage if they touch or hit her physically

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

could just give Alphen super armor on some of his moves too, sort of like how Eizen or Hammer Ludger had. It'd make him more forgiving gameplay-wise and he's the protagonist so it'd make sense.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Hide his HP bar since no pain receptors means he doesn't know when to stop

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i think i've spent the same amount of time thinking about jrpg character's ages as i do their height or blood type

who is the tales character with the tallest blood. you heard me

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I've played Vesperia and Beseria (favorite so far) Will I enjoy Zestira as it is currently on sale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I mean, i can't tell you if you'll enjoy it

But i can tell you it sucks