Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will/did you start SaGa Frontier Remastered with?
Riki
Blue
Red
T260g
Emilia
Asellus
Lute
Fuse
View Results

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Harrow posted:

If it helps, the gold ingot trick is basically just legit at this point. It was always rumored that it was left in the original intentionally, and the remaster changed things to make it easier to do to the point that it's barely an exploit anymore.

The name for it (Takanomics) allegedly comes from the programmer Takaki Tonoka who discovered it. Moreover, the PSX release actually had a kill switch where it shut itself down if you got over 50000 credits presumably so you wouldn't cause an overflow. It's pretty safe to bet that they either put it in deliberately or left it in after it was discovered and just put a cap on it.

Meanwhile the Junk Shop Glitch was almost definitely not intentional, I believe someone did some codebusting and concluded it was very much a glitch caused by sloppy coding. It's clearly something intentional in the remaster though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The game would suck without the junk shop glitch so I’m glad they left it in. Well maybe that’s not true, if there were easier ways to earn money maybe it wouldn’t matter as much but there aren’t really.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Early game gear would be pretty tough to come by without the junk shop glitch, and late-game gear would be pretty sparse without the gold ingot trick. That said I do suspect it's balanced around that. Monsters are less reliant on gear than anyone else so using a monster or two on your team would really help you deal with a shortage of good gear. Martial artists don't need weapons at all, so you can save the few strong swords and guns you find for swordfighters or mechs to use. Mystics and mages would help you deal good damage without strong weapons, too.

Armor would be a concern. You'd probably have to focus on high-impact, low-cost gear pieces like Mirror Glass or Padded Clothes or Jet Boots to fill the gaps around your weaker armor pieces. Full gear suits might be a huge boon, too, since that's a lot of defense for one slot.

You'd really need to explore a lot, in every playthrough, to outfit your team without using either trick. Maybe that'd be a good thing, though of course I'm saying that from veteran's standpoint so I know where I'd get all the gear I need.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 25, 2021

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You only need 2500g to start the ingot trick here, so there's that.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The normal scenarios are balanced without using the junk shop or ingot tricks, yeah. I'll skip them most playthroughs - they're fun but using them every run gets repetitive, and makes a lot of the loot you can find obsolete. Your endgame team will have worse gear than if you used them, but a team fully outfitted with combat suits and the like is overkill anyway. You get enough money for 2 or 3 pieces of endgame shop gear by the end of the game, that plus the stuff you find should be enough.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Now that I finally get how gifts work, what gift-exclusive spells are worth it? By now it probably doesnt matter since I broke the economy and bought all the cool poo poo, but it helps to know.

I'm guessing Silence isnt worth a poo poo outside of Trophies.

Also, do most of those blank spots on Blue's region-map get filled?

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 25, 2021

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I also ravenously played ‘legend of SaGa’ when it came out. I was wondering is there a known bug in Legend that stat growth for mystics is out of control good on continent/earth world?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Now that I finally get how gifts work, what gift spells are worth buying? By now it probably doesnt matter since I broke the economy and bought all the cool poo poo, but it helps to know.

I'm guessing Silence isnt worth a poo poo outside of Trophie.

Silence is a Generic Mystic, and Generic Mystics sacrifice the versatility of humans for (comparatively) quick stat gain through Mystic absorb. In the PS1 version, the trade off is a bit better, but since the Remaster lets you carry over your stats and everything (if you so choose) it sort of takes away their edge.

The Region map will never be completely filled out. It was originally intended to be something every character could obtain, so it has spots for every location in the game for every character, many of which Blue can never visit in his own scenario.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Now that I finally get how gifts work, what gift-exclusive spells are worth it? By now it probably doesnt matter since I broke the economy and bought all the cool poo poo, but it helps to know.

Silence is pretty good in that most Mystics can be made fairly monstrous with the right absorbs. He's more useful (in my opinion at least) now that he actually leaves Omble with the Shadow gift. I mean, he's no Time Lord, but no one other than Blue is that absurd.

Most of the blank spots on Blue's region-map don't get filled. I remember using gameshark codes way back, and they usually link to regions from other people's scenarios (e.g., Junk from T260G or Margamel from Riki) or to areas that clearly got scrapped (one of them is an area that looks like Despair).

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

therefore I only muttered "neu"

Most of them are good! I think some of the fiddly buff/debuff spells from Rune/Arcane magic aren’t great, but basically everything else locked behind the gift in every school is great.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The steam achievements for recruiting Hamilton and getting the Light gift in person don't unlock for me.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

This is my first time getting this far in Asellus’s scenario, I just finished Dark Labrynth what the gently caress

how do I get my party back what the gently caress

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

I think you can just walk in and out of the room you spawned back into a couple times. You shouldn’t have to actually fight anything to progress the story event.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Even with the best gear, there are things that can be fairly challenging, and that's going to be especially true if you decide to tackle the powered-up versions of the bosses in Fuse's scenario once you finish all the case files. So gift spells are generally worth caring about.

Some gift spells that are especially noteworthy:

Light
  • Solar Blade - Conjures a sword that you can use normal sword skills with. Extremely high attack power (one of the strongest swords in the entire game), comes with innate super-Deflect even if you don't have Deflect, and a big boost to all the wielder's stats. Anyone can make good use of Solar Blade.
  • Gale Blast - One of the game's strongest AoE attacks.
Shadow
  • Dark Sphere - Decent single-target attack that strips enemy buffs/special effects and combos extremely well.
  • Shadow Servant - One of the strongest spells in the game. Creates a shadow clone that copies all of the caster's moves until the caster is hit with an attack (which the shadow clone takes in their place). Can be a massive damage boost.
Arcane
  • Tower - Costs all of the caster's remaining JP and deals damage proportional to the JP spent. This can be extraordinarily powerful, especially if it's doubled by a Shadow Servant. Especially good for a gun mage who can fall back on guns when they're out of JP.
Rune
  • Stasis Rune - Locks both the caster and the target into stasis, where nothing at all can affect them until it wears off. The stasis effect can be removed with a Snake Oil or with a Dark Sphere (on an enemy). Pretty niche, but has an utterly broken combo with the Time magic spell Overdrive.
  • Soul Rune - Massive stat boost to the caster with the drawback of costing LP once it wears off.
Mind
  • Awakening - Similar to Soul Rune, but with the cost of doubling WP/JP costs while active. Great for gunners, because gun skills tend to be pretty cheap and doubling their cost isn't a huge deal.
That's just for the generally-available gifts. Realm, Mystic, Time, and Space have cool gift-required spells as well but those aren't gifts you can get through a quest so I assume they're not the ones you're asking about.

Silence is as good as any other mystic, which is to say, pretty good once you get him some good absorbs. He's not one of the best mystics (Time Lord, Mesarthim, Dr. Nusakan, not counting Asellus because she breaks the rules) but he's a perfectly good one.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 26, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Okay but can I actually not get White Rose back? Seriously?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Seriously. If you go to Devin and Koorong (and Omwi if you haven't gotten Mestherim back yet) you can probably find a suitable replacement though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

White Rose is gone forever.

There are now some new mystics you can recruit, though, including Dr. Nusakan in Koorong. Also, I think you have Zozma now and he's pretty cool.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Harrow posted:

Magic stuff

One small correct on Soul Rune- it actually doesn't double WP/JP costs like Awakening does, and it can only be cast on yourself. It's major(ish) cost is that once it wears off, you'll lose 1 LP. This mostly isn't an issue but could potentially be in the boss rush.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kagon posted:

One small correct on Soul Rune- it actually doesn't double WP/JP costs like Awakening does, and it can only be cast on yourself. It's major(ish) cost is that once it wears off, you'll lose 1 LP. This mostly isn't an issue but could potentially be in the boss rush.

Oh huh, I haven't used it in ages so I forgot it was different from Awakening.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Is it worth it for me to spend 3 of Blue's 7 LP to buy Phantasm in Facinataru or should I wait for a different playthrough for it?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Harrow posted:

White Rose is gone forever.

There are now some new mystics you can recruit, though, including Dr. Nusakan in Koorong. Also, I think you have Zozma now and he's pretty cool.

There's also Rei, but I have no idea how to recruit her with the new content enabled. The steps for the original game don't work.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mike_V posted:

Is it worth it for me to spend 3 of Blue's 7 LP to buy Phantasm in Facinataru or should I wait for a different playthrough for it?

Yeah, Phantasm rules. I mean in the remaster you can pick it up with someone else and keep it through NG+ but I used to get it in the original version in almost everyone's playthrough. Crazy good sword.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mill Village posted:

There's also Rei, but I have no idea how to recruit her with the new content enabled. The steps for the original game don't work.

It worked for me, you have to go to her chamber in Facinaturu with only White Rose in your party. I think you have to also talk to her once before the dark labyrinth and then after it she joins.

Now I have like 8 mystics and I am not sure who to even use any more. It’s very annoying that the only way to get magic gifts on most of them would be to wait a really long time to do the gift quests.

What’s the new story content for Asellus? It’s in the bio lab in Shrike, right?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Now I have like 8 mystics and I am not sure who to even use any more. It’s very annoying that the only way to get magic gifts on most of them would be to wait a really long time to do the gift quests.

Have you already done both Rune and Arcane quests? If not, you can get your new mystics the gift you didn't already get.

IMO the best mystics are:
  • Time Lord. He has all the Time magic spells. That alone makes him one of the strongest characters in the entire game. Time Leap, Time Twister, and Overdrive are all game-changers.
  • Mesarthim. Her only locked equipment gives her one of the very few party-wide healing spells in the game, and she's able to wear normal armor because she doesn't have Mystical Mail.
  • Dr. Nusakan. His abilities are nothing special, but compared to the rest of the "normal" mystics, he has a leg up because he doesn't have to wear Mystical Mail.
That said, I always tend to use Ildon and Zozma in Asellus's quest just because I like them and they're not available in very many scenarios (only one, for Ildon).

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Mike_V posted:

It's a good sword and you can probably beat Blue's scenario without that 3 LP.

Spoiler for if you've played through Blue's scenario in the past You can buy multiple things in that shop to drop Blue's LP then lose the duel with Rouge with the added bonus of losing faster due to lowered LP. When you continue on as Rouge, you will be back to 7 LP. You do lose any stat gains made in Strength and Mobility most notably though, in case anyone else is weird like me and trained up Blue with Sword and Martial Arts

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Alright, good to know. And also, is there a suggested type of character to use the Glirandy on? I don't want to give it to someone and then find out it's on the wrong build.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

What’s the new story content for Asellus? It’s in the bio lab in Shrike, right?

After you have Zozma in your party there's new content at Dr. Nusukan's place, the Biolab, and Furdo's workshop in Magic Kingdom, which can be done in any order.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
how do i actually like, get going on the Rune quest? i can't enter Mu's Tomb, the Natural Cave just dead ends into fighting little dragon spiders for no progress, and everything seems to need you to have at least one Rune? i don't understand what i'm missing here.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Million Ghosts posted:

how do i actually like, get going on the Rune quest? i can't enter Mu's Tomb, the Natural Cave just dead ends into fighting little dragon spiders for no progress, and everything seems to need you to have at least one Rune? i don't understand what i'm missing here.

You have to go to Devin and actually talk to the guy at the Rune Magic shop, ask him about the gift, then accept the quest. Even if you're doing Emilia's story and already have the Freedom Rune from Despair, you still need to officially start the quest in Devin in order to collect the remaining three.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mike_V posted:

Alright, good to know. And also, is there a suggested type of character to use the Glirandy on? I don't want to give it to someone and then find out it's on the wrong build.

Anyone. Gilrandly has decent attack power but it gives a big stat boost to whoever has it, so it can help any kind of character, whether or not they use swords.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

W.T. Fits posted:

You have to go to Devin and actually talk to the guy at the Rune Magic shop, ask him about the gift, then accept the quest. Even if you're doing Emilia's story and already have the Freedom Rune from Despair, you still need to officially start the quest in Devin in order to collect the remaining three.

i have done that, unless there's something extra besides asking about the gift and saying yes.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Million Ghosts posted:

i have done that, unless there's something extra besides asking about the gift and saying yes.

Did you also start the Arcane quest while you were in Devin? If you started the Arcane quest and already collected one of the tarot cards, you're locked out of being able to progress the Rune quest until you complete the Arcane quest.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

W.T. Fits posted:

Did you also start the Arcane quest while you were in Devin? If you started the Arcane quest and already collected one of the tarot cards, you're locked out of being able to progress the Rune quest until you complete the Arcane quest.

that would explain it, thanks. nowhere online seems to mention this little tidbit.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Had something weird happen. I definitely tried to fight Kyrin earlier and got my rear end beat so I teleported out of there planning to go back. However, the shrine maiden now tells me I already have Space Magic and I just looked and Blue definitely does. How did that happen? The story entry is not shown as complete so I definitely didn't beat Kyrin. I just beat Rouge, does it have to do with that?

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Had something weird happen. I definitely tried to fight Kyrin earlier and got my rear end beat so I teleported out of there planning to go back. However, the shrine maiden now tells me I already have Space Magic and I just looked and Blue definitely does. How did that happen? The story entry is not shown as complete so I definitely didn't beat Kyrin. I just beat Rouge, does it have to do with that?

Rouge did Space, since you did Time. You should also have your opposing magics for the other quests you did earlier. Also, you can go get the gift for Mind magic now, if you want!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mike_V posted:

Are you already past the duel with Rouge?

If so: you now have all the magic (well, pretty much). Rouge got Space magic while you went and got Time magic, but after the duel, you now have both twins' spells and gifts.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I just need two combos to do in that basement squid. Is there a hard counter to maelstrom?

Any item that gives water resistance, including a pearl heart you can find deeper in that dungeon (or buy in Manhattan).

Uh... do you get more than gently caress all money without exploits?

Not unless you do a shitload of grinding and sell the few valuable items like hyper scale and duelist gun. Plus the stuff that can drop like behemoth rifles or HG cannons but they all have low, low drop rates.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The game would suck without the junk shop glitch so I’m glad they left it in. Well maybe that’s not true, if there were easier ways to earn money maybe it wouldn’t matter as much but there aren’t really.

My first time playing the game on PSX I didn't know about either trick and boy let me tell you, playing Blue's storyline without a good supply of cash really sucked and Rouge can easily stomp your rear end when you don't have a gear advantage.

Silence, like all mystics, whips rear end when you give him some good absorbs (though they can't compare to someone that can drop half a dozen DSCs). Devil Squid for immediate rampage action (replace with a kraken for endgame) and so on. NG+ letting you have a bunch of 8-900hp humans with 80-90 in their main stats means you don't have that same gap in power in the long run though. Except for Asellus but she's always been OP as hell.

DalaranJ posted:

I also ravenously played ‘legend of SaGa’ when it came out. I was wondering is there a known bug in Legend that stat growth for mystics is out of control good on continent/earth world?

If you mean in SaGa 1, sorta? Mystics/Mutants/Espers in SaGa 1, if you grind a bunch, get way more powerful than humans because of the awful way you boost human stats in it.

Mike_V posted:

If you're keeping items in your NG+ playthrough just buy one on every character you send there. Phantasms for everyone. :getin:
Even the person(s) you give a dragon sword or golden lion to since you want 2 swords on any dedicated sword tech user when clearing through most fights.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Harrow posted:

Are you already past the duel with Rouge?

If so: you now have all the magic (well, pretty much). Rouge got Space magic while you went and got Time magic, but after the duel, you now have both twins' spells and gifts.

Yeah, that does it. Just checked all the magic and I'm stacked, now to go to hell and try to kill Satan. I thought I was taking him down my first go round but eventually his multi-turns did me in. Gonna have to optimize my load out for this one, I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you're keeping items in your NG+ playthrough just buy one on every character you send there. Phantasms for everyone. :getin:
Even the person(s) you give a dragon sword or golden lion to since you want 2 swords on any dedicated sword tech user when clearing through most fights.

Why do you want 2 swords? The stat boost?

Also does anyone know if the swords that alter your general 0-cost attack, like Phantasm or Sei's sword, still spark techniques? Or is one of their drawbacks, limiting you from learning while using them?