Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hemsworth has no plans to stop playing Thor ever since Marvel hired Taika. He seems to have a blast with the character ever since they let him lean into the more comedic elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I do think he'll get tired of it eventually, since he's talked about how buffing up for Thor is so much hassle and he immediately sheds pounds every time they wrap because he feels more comfortable with a slimmer build or something. He's having a blast now, but in 5 or 10 years after a few more films to flex his comedy talents as Thor he'll probably just want to stop going through constant workouts to build back up for filming.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

tsob posted:

I do think he'll get tired of it eventually, since he's talked about how buffing up for Thor is so much hassle and he immediately sheds pounds every time they wrap because he feels more comfortable with a slimmer build or something. He's having a blast now, but in 5 or 10 years after a few more films to flex his comedy talents as Thor he'll probably just want to stop going through constant workouts to build back up for filming.

We've already had a fat Thor, so even if he lets himself go he could be Thor.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Really The Dude Thor was the best Thor.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

STAC Goat posted:

It will be interesting 10 years from now when the MCU reaches that comic book point where they think its best to just blow everything up and start over.

DC is the company that reboots their continuity with the regularity of a backfiring Nova. Marvel tends to just handwave away stuff or retroactively re-date their heroes. Mr. Fantastic is no longer WWII vet like he was in the sixties, etc.

I could see them bringing back Captain America in a decade or two of movies. The Marvel Universe is a big place and there's a lot of characters to explore. They haven't touched the Fantastic Four or X-Men and once that's done they can circle around to Avengers or whatever.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I dunno why Thor needs to be buff. Isn't Natalie Portman gonna play Thor?

Natalie Portman is.. she aint buff

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think they're fine for awhile. X-Men alone could carry them another decade but its obvious Phase 4 is all about creating a big new cast of characters and elevating the existing B characters. And sooner or later they'll do the X-Men and that will probably be big.

Eventually like everyone gets old though and after a couple of generations of characters/actors come and go I assume they'd want to just do Cap and Iron Man and Thor again. But also like we've never seen anything like this and wondering how the franchise operates after 20 or 30 years of hundreds of properties is kind of insane.

Collapsing Farts posted:

https://twitter.com/lovethundernews/status/1368294584447537166

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 25, 2021

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Collapsing Farts posted:

Hgh was working miracles back in the days of Tobey Maguire. With a solid 20 years of superhero films making bank in-between, they've really got that science down.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Holy poo poo, she looks like she came through a portal from Buff Dimension and devoured this universe's Natalie Portman in a display of dominance.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:asoiaf:

I watched UFC last night and there are women who are professional fighters and trained champions at the peak of their martial talents who don't look that goddam buff.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I think they're fine for awhile. X-Men alone could carry them another decade but its obvious Phase 4 is all about creating a big new cast of characters and elevating the existing B characters. And sooner or later they'll do the X-Men and that will probably be big.

I'll be like 60 by the time I get to see a new X-men movie :lol:

AndyElusive posted:

I watched UFC last night and there are women who are professional fighters and trained champions at the peak of their martial talents who don't look that goddam buff.

It seems she was accidentally flexing in those photos, as there are other angles were her guns don't look that dramatically big (but you can notice she is buffed because of her back).

Oh and Christian Bale is doing his thing again:
https://twitter.com/lovethundernews/status/1383808801095110663

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
BEHOLD THE GOD BUTCHER! :roflolmao:

Also, weird little trivia query: Do we know what Sam's rank was in the Air Force when he was discharged? If not, feels like a no brainer to have him be a captain so the name still fits. It's even a fairly similar rank in the USAF vs the army, if I remember right (note: my sources on this are MASH and Stargate SG1, may not be accurate :v:)

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

It's like all the real boxers in Creed who look tiny compared to Jordan.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

AndyElusive posted:

I always think it’s hilarious when women actors who have ongoing television careers get jacked to do an action movie during the season break and comeback to their shows inexplicable swol. Like, when Emilia Clarke did the Terminator movie. Dani flew off on the back of dragon as a waif at the end of season 5, but landed with some mean fuckin’ guns at the beginning of season six. Same thing happened with Emma Thompson on West World when she did Thor: Ragnarok. I don’t have anything against women getting swol, I just think it’s a hilarious continuity error.

Wouldn’t it be great if Natalie Portman discovered that she has a deep passion for body building, and now with have super Natalie for the rest of her career?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

JohnnySavs posted:

Doesn't Strange get a surgery opportunity for a "paralyzed veteran in some kind of enhanced military gear" right before his accident that implies that was after Civil War?
I thought this was Rhodey too, but evidently it was one of Hammer's test subjects from those failed tests in Iron Man 2.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

tsob posted:

The Skrulls were the villains in the comics that the story is based on, are shape-shifters and so are inherently just flat out better infiltrators and there was a press release saying the Skrulls have been infiltrating Earth for years.

The quote is

quote:

The crossover comic event series showcases a faction of shapeshifting Skrulls who have been infiltrating Earth for years.
Seems to be more talking about the comics its based on, as it says comic, not TV/streaming series. Until I see something offical, like a teaser or something more detailed on the plot, all groundwork they've done has the Skrulls being the good guys.

STAC Goat posted:

Killmonger burned them after he got juiced up, but they smuggled one out for T'challa and that seems like the easiest "yeah, we grew some new ones" hand wave to do. Or there could be like any other part science/part mystic method created.

It's easy to say "this was just our ready supply, there are some still out in the wild that if are brave enough to find them". And you have to fight a actual black panther that's all juiced up.

I rewatched Captain Marvel the other night, and I noticed that when Yon-Rogg confronts her after the crash before she gets powers she specially says "Para-Rescue will be here soon" which is what Sam's role was. It would make sense those wings came from Project Pegasus.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

mind the walrus posted:

I did love hate how we get this really tender scene that was very well-acted by Sebastian Stan, followed by a wordless scene that indicates that he basically did a speed-run of those extra-quickly like it wasn't no thing. I mean seriously he crossed off a lot of names in that drat book.

If you wanted, you could say that Bucky felt as though apologizing to Yori was enough to deal with his poo poo, and it stops his nightmares so he decides to just say "gently caress it", crosses out the rest of the names, and drops off the book with his counselor with the little note that says "thanks doc i'm fixed now peace"

Honestly I could almost see him doing that :haw:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

It's easy to say "this was just our ready supply, there are some still out in the wild that if are brave enough to find them". And you have to fight a actual black panther that's all juiced up.

I want BP2 to go all in on the vision quest and mystic stuff. In the comics the Panther powers are more than just basically being Captain Wakanda, it's being the avatar of the goddess Bast and the Panther can literally command ghosts and zombies and poo poo.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Bleck posted:

to be fair Terrence Howard is an insane abuser and I am glad things went the way they did

Fun fact, his next big move was the tv show that MS (show runner/head writer of this and now co writer of Cap 4) worked on for several years and helped make it be a big hit!

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

LionArcher posted:

Fun fact, his next big move was the tv show that MS (show runner/head writer of this and now co writer of Cap 4) worked on for several years and helped make it be a big hit!

And he fit Cheadle into this show. What a betrayal.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

XboxPants posted:

If you wanted, you could say that Bucky felt as though apologizing to Yori was enough to deal with his poo poo, and it stops his nightmares so he decides to just say "gently caress it", crosses out the rest of the names, and drops off the book with his counselor with the little note that says "thanks doc i'm fixed now peace"

Honestly I could almost see him doing that :haw:

I think the large majority of the names in that book were people he felt the need to do something to (the senator in the first episode) because they benefited from him being the Winter Soldier and only a few of them, like Yori were people he wanted to do something for.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

twistedmentat posted:

Seems to be more talking about the comics its based on, as it says comic, not TV/streaming series. Until I see something offical, like a teaser or something more detailed on the plot, all groundwork they've done has the Skrulls being the good guys.

It would be nice if they did away with the usual species essentialism of sci-fi and had it be an rear end in a top hat group of skrulls, which our friendly group of skrulls could oppose. Make them religious zealots like in the comic book, so we get the creepy "he loves you" moments.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Boxman posted:

It would be nice if they did away with the usual species essentialism of sci-fi and had it be an rear end in a top hat group of skrulls, which our friendly group of skrulls could oppose. Make them religious zealots like in the comic book, so we get the creepy "he loves you" moments.

Crazy twist only I am dumb enough to come up with: Old Man Steve has been masterminding the Skrull Secret Invasion from his secret moonbase for decades

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Boxman posted:

I believe one of the only things we know is Ben Mendelsohn's Skrull character from Captain Marvel and Spider-Man is gonna be in it.

Disney also better submit Carl Lumbly for Best Guest Performance at the Emmys. He was so good, and it's really neat how different he pitched his performance in the daylight in this ep, compared to the heavier scenes earlier. Jesus, he looked 15 years younger in that scene, just from standing up straight and moving around more. (and pretty sure that was shot later due to COVID cuz i think his hair grew out too)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Where did the idea that Steve is on the moon come from?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Phenotype posted:

Where did the idea that Steve is on the moon come from?

It's just a joke people say.

Like Tupac still being alive on an island somewhere.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Dexo posted:

It's just a joke people say.

Like Tupac still being alive on an island somewhere.

Joke :confused:?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Very late catching up on this stuff, but the (very expected) reveal that Sharon is the Power Broker is just very odd to me. Why did she lead Sam and Bucky to her secret lab with Zemo, which resulted in the death of her scientist who is the only person to successfully recreate the Super Soldier Serum without major side effects? It's just a really weird choice and I don't know if she's a Skrull or working for someone bigger or what, but I thought we would get more closure on that.

It does feel like they are hinting to tie-ins with Secret Invasion, between the weird Sharon stuff and then Fontaine talking about things 'getting weird' soon (which yes, shapeshifting aliens running around would definitely qualify).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I honestly chalk it up to rewrites.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Are shapeshifting aliens really that weird. It's basically an open secret at this point.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Open Source Idiom posted:

Are shapeshifting aliens really that weird. It's basically an open secret at this point.
It's basically what, Fury and Carol Danvers that know?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Very late catching up on this stuff, but the (very expected) reveal that Sharon is the Power Broker is just very odd to me. Why did she lead Sam and Bucky to her secret lab with Zemo, which resulted in the death of her scientist who is the only person to successfully recreate the Super Soldier Serum without major side effects? It's just a really weird choice and I don't know if she's a Skrull or working for someone bigger or what, but I thought we would get more closure on that.

It does feel like they are hinting to tie-ins with Secret Invasion, between the weird Sharon stuff and then Fontaine talking about things 'getting weird' soon (which yes, shapeshifting aliens running around would definitely qualify).

The only thing I can think of is it’ll be revealed the scientist was lying and he can’t actually make more serum, the serum he did make was a fluke.
Even then, all the Sharon/Power broker stuff is weird. She kills her own subordinate and frames Sam and co., then saves them herself. And then she leads them to her serum scientist, sends her own men to attack, and kills them herself, again. I wonder if this was because of COVID rewrites and she wasn’t originally going to to be the Power broker.

EDIT: Shooting Batroc instead of just paying him more also seems incredibly risky. What if Karli had shot her somewhere fatal?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 26, 2021

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I guess Sharon didn't anticipate that Zemo would get his hands on a gun. She thought Bucky and Sam would make sure he was unarmed, and didn't expect him to find a spare gun in the lab itself.

It still makes her look incompetent, but it's not necessarily a plot hole.

I have a harder time justifying her fighting a million bounty hunters on her own though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sharon seemed fine with trading the scientist in exchange for the pardon and keeping Sam and Bucky in the dark on her role. And especially with Zemo there who is a real wild card. Also, at this point there was more serum so maybe she didn't need the guy to keep producing more.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Yeah it was a reasonable assumption on her part that Sam (for sure) and Bucky (most likely) would be strongly opposed to executing the scientist, her mistake was underestimating Zemo. But at that point she saw an opportunity to open up several new revenue streams by working with them, so the scientist was expendable anyway.

As for fighting off the bounty hunters, I like to imagine that once she was alone she sent out a message canceling the bounty to almost everybody, but kept it open with the 15 or so least-capable guys she could think of. After all, those guys clearly didn't recognize her as the Power Broker (unlike Karli and Batroc), so they obviously weren't too well-regarded.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's basically what, Fury and Carol Danvers that know?

I mean, for the people in universe, sure.

Sorry I was talking out of universe, like, for the viewer. I think I misread context there.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

It's fairly obvious, her plan from the start was getting back into America to gain access to state secrets.

Codependent Poster posted:

Sharon seemed fine with trading the scientist in exchange for the pardon and keeping Sam and Bucky in the dark on her role. And especially with Zemo there who is a real wild card. Also, at this point there was more serum so maybe she didn't need the guy to keep producing more.

Also this, she assumed she could get what he had made back and then have it analysed, or even get access to whatever the American Government still has.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's fairly obvious, her plan from the start was getting back into America to gain access to state secrets

"Ah, my ridiculously circuitous plan is nearly one quarter complete" is all I can think in response to this

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So I spotted an article the other day that apparently Shang Chi and the Ten Rings is garnering a lot of negative attention in China. The official Marvel Taiwan and Hong Kong YouTube accounts are (or at least, were) at about a 50% like to dislike ratio going off those types of articles, and the film is basically being seen as a poor attempt by Disney to pander to the Chinese market along the lines of the recent live action Mulan remake.

The quoted comments I've seen on other articles (those were just the first two Google spat out, and I didn't even read them specifically) are things along the lines that the film is mixing up different eras of Wuxia film action in a rather slapdash way, that Tony Leung (the guy playing the Mandarin) has far more charisma than Simu Liu (the lead), that using a famous Chinese actor such as Leung isn't enough to gain respectability on it's own, and that Simu is rather plain looking. All the articles I can find are several days old now though, so the perception may have evened out over time, but the film doesn't appear to be off to a good start in China.

Someone way back in the thread at this point pointed out that while people in Africa generally liked Black Panther, that they were critical of it for being a film made more for Americans of African descent and somewhat wish fulfilment for them rather than really representing Africa, and I wonder if Shang Chi will basically be the same thing for Asians going off that type of response; something made for Americans of Asian descent (and mostly by them, as far as I can see looking at the cast and crew) rather than actually representing Asia itself. Which, I'm not even sure that's not the goal honestly. Maybe Deston Daniel Cretton (the director), who was born in Hawaii going off his Wikipedia article, just wants to make something that appeals to him and people like him personally, rather than making something that'll garner praise in China as Disney probably wants.

It does make me wonder if Disney will ever just give an actual Asian crew (whether Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese, whatever) the reigns of a property to make a big budget film out of, rather than using American Asians. I'd presume it'd be some Chinese people if they were to do that, since China is by far the biggest market, but who knows. Does Disney have a significant production presence in China or any other Asian country?

Edit: Also, the song in Shang Chi's trailer is a banger, and I've listened to it a dozen or more times the last two days. Really excited for the film's OST after the trailer.

Edit 2: Also also, are there any more Asian heroes or heroines being planned for Marvel? I know there's several more Black and Latin heroes and heroines coming down the pipe with Captain America, Black Panther, Torres Falcon, Echo etc. and that Disney are starting to lay the seeds for gay representation with America Chavez, Valkyrie, Wiccan and possibly others, but I can't think of any other Asian characters I've heard about being planned at Marvel beyond Shang Chi. I assume they're planning at least one more that could conceivably be helmed by an actual Asian production team and/or cast, but can't think of any possibilities.

tsob fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

tsob posted:

So I spotted an article the other day that apparently Shang Chi and the Ten Rings is garnering a lot of negative attention in China. The official Marvel Taiwan and Hong Kong YouTube accounts are (or at least, were) at about a 50% like to dislike ratio going off those types of articles, and the film is basically been seen as a poor attempt by Disney to pander to the Chinese market along the lines of the recent live action Mulan remake.

The quoted comments I've seen on other articles (those were just the first two Google spat out, and I didn't even read them specifically) are things along the lines that the film is mixing up different eras of Wuxia film action in a rather slapdash way, that Tony Leung (the guy playing the Mandarin) has far more charisma than Simu Liu (the lead), that using a famous Chinese actor such as Leung isn't enough to gain respectability on it's own, and that Simu is rather plain looking. All the articles I can find are several days old now, so the perception may have evened out over time, but the film doesn't appear to be off to a good start in China.

Someone way back in the thread at this point pointed out that while people in Africa generally liked Black Panther, that they were critical of it for being a film made more for Americans of African descent and somewhat wish fulfilment for them rather than really representing Africa, and I wonder if Shang Chi will basically be the same thing for Asians going off that type of response; something made for Americans of Asian descent (and mostly by them, as far as I can see looking at the cast and crew) rather than actually representing Asia itself. Which, I'm not even sure that's not the goal honestly. Maybe Deston Daniel Cretton (the director), who was born in Hawaii going off his Wikipedia article, just wants to make something that appeals to him and people like him personally, rather than making something that'll garner praise in China as Disney probably wants.

I doubt Cretton has much input tbh. Disney like a tight leash.

Also if Simu Liu is considered plain, then the rest of us are hosed, lol.