Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The only thing that I dislike about Promising Young Woman is that it revels a bit in implications of the main character coordinating the rapes of other women. One of those moments is pretty immediately shown as false, but one of the other moments does hang for a long time and you don't know it didn't happen till the end. A character is still forced to deal with the shame and trauma of thinking she was raped. I think there's an argument to be made about the movie actually creating a dynamic in which some of its audience members may indeed passively cheer on a sexual assault, but it all seems false to me. It also creates this false dichotomy of there being a sort of class of women who are immune from rape or sexual assault. Rape culture is epidemic, and survivors can find themselves complicit in abuse.

I was surprised that the this didn't tank the movie for me and see other people not being able to get beyond it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

The only thing that I dislike about Promising Young Woman is that it revels a bit in implications of the main character coordinating the rapes of other women. One of those moments is pretty immediately shown as false, but one of the other moments does hang for a long time and you don't know it didn't happen till the end. A character is still forced to deal with the shame and trauma of thinking she was raped. I think there's an argument to be made about the movie actually creating a dynamic in which some of its audience members may indeed passively cheer on a sexual assault, but it all seems false to me. It also creates this false dichotomy of there being a sort of class of women who are immune from rape or sexual assault. Rape culture is epidemic, and survivors can find themselves complicit in abuse.

I was surprised that the this didn't tank the movie for me and see other people not being able to get beyond it.

I’ve been vocal of not liking it here, but I agree with what you said. Also, the main character breaks her own logic because the plot matters more in the end than the character being real, or being consistent.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Just have Sound of Metal and The Father left to view, and so far I've only disliked Chicago 7.

To be fair, though, I so utterly despised Chicago to the point of feeling genuine anger at the lengths it goes to make a bunch of revolutionaries sing the virtues of the American governmental system so I guess it balanced out to the normal ratio of liked to disliked best picture nominees.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Riz Ahmed beat out Boseman for actor at the independent spirits :eyesemoji:

Also, watched The Father a couple days back - very good movie, Hopkins and Colman do amazing work.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

IMO Ahmed deserves it over Boseman, but it's not like Boseman did a bad job. It's funny, I thought he was much better in Da Five Bloods. On the whole D5B really got screwed by its release date, it's way better than any of the other best picture nominees and Delroy Lindo was absolutely snubbed.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm okay with Ahmed beating Boseman for the Spirits Award. I think they're equal performances, so Boseman should get his time. Ahmed has a long life ahead of him. But as much as I enjoy Ma Rainy and would probably advocate it for an Oscar Nom over Chicago 7, it's a more old timey, classic movie. Of all Wilson's plays, it's the one that probably feels most like a Hollywood picture instead of an indie movie. The Spirit Awards being the one thing that goes to Ahmed makes sense.

I think Ahmed just did a version of well-meaning and passionate dirtbag that I don't know if I've ever seen as accurately on display on screen.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Roth posted:

Just have Sound of Metal and The Father left to view, and so far I've only disliked Chicago 7.

To be fair, though, I so utterly despised Chicago to the point of feeling genuine anger at the lengths it goes to make a bunch of revolutionaries sing the virtues of the American governmental system so I guess it balanced out to the normal ratio of liked to disliked best picture nominees.

Yeah, the Sorkin trash stink was powerful with that one. The subject deserves better. I guess we'll always have Medium Cool.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Oof, Chicago 7 does not hang. It looks like a fake movie you'd see in a SNL Digital Short. Like regardless of how lovely is that they added JGL's compassionate fascist and softened the Johnson administration, Sorkin is just not a good director. Also, the gently caress is that opening montage? King and RFK's assassinations are almost framed like gags.

It did improve my opinion of Black Messiah a whole lot though.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Agreed with Trial of the Chicago Seven being awful. The script and acting didn't engage me at all. But I just finished Mank to close out the 8/8 best picture nominees and that one is firmly last place. What a struggle.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Sound of Metal was very dope, and I hope it wins awards.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just watched The Father to hit 7/8. Really upsetting movie.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Henchman of Santa posted:

Just watched The Father to hit 7/8. Really upsetting movie.

Saw it last night, and it hosed me up pretty good.

Then I walked out of the theater and a shirtless guy was sitting on the stairs and asked me if I knew who Tony Garcia is.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I feel like I'm off base with the rest of the world but I really didn't like Nomadland. It's much more of an exploration of one woman's mental illness to me than it is of late stage capitalism which I guess is what I expected? I don't think one of the tell's is that Amazon let them use their logo and likeness pretty freely.

live with fruit posted:

Mank is a movie about the writing of Citizen Kane. And even then, it's really a movie about Mank the man. This isn't RKO 281.

I enjoyed Mank, the movie about how corrupt hollywood liberals conspired to kill an american workers party in the crib.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 25, 2021

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Watching Nomadland now and will probably miss watching the Father and promising young woman.

Edit: Yeah, Nomadland got very boring halfway for me. McDormand is great and the imagery and transitionary shots were very well done and i can see why Hollywood will eat this poo poo up. However, it just felt very one note overall. Zhao will probably pick up the directing oscar due to its historical aspect and it was probably win best picture because it just hits the right marks for the Academy.

My predictions:

Actor: Boseman, post-hum. (Upset: Ahmed, Hopkins) []

Actress: Viola Davis (Upset: McDormand, Mulligan) []

Support. Actor: Kalyuua. (Upset: Stanfeld, Cohen)

Support. Actress: Youn. (Upset: Colman, Bakalova)

Directing: Zhao 

Picture: Nomadland (Upset: Sound of Metal, Judas and the Black Messiah)

Animated: Soul (Upset: Wolfwalkers)

Adapted Screenplay: The Father (Upset: Borat)

Original Screenplay: Judas (Upset: Sound of Metal, Minari)

Cinematography: Mank

Costume Design: Ma Rainey

Editing: Nomadland

Foreign: Another Round

Make-up: Ma Rainey

Original Score: Soul

Original Song: Judas "Fight for You"

Production Design: Mank

Sound: Sound of Metal

FX: Tenet

My Face When fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 25, 2021

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The Father was really good. I also wasn't expecting it to eat Tenet's lunch.

I wasn't hot on Nomadland, but also don't want to see Zhao's direction get dismissed. Minari is the only thing that really gives it a run in that department.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Nomadland is a nice little movie but I agree with much of the criticism that it seems like it wants to say something but is actually completely toothless.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Im watching the pre show right now and looks like they are doing some of the Song nominations. Im wondering if they will showcase it during the show or not.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Anyone have a link to a livestream?

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Original screenplay to Emerald Fennel (promising young woman)

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Adapted Screenplay to Hampton/zeller for The Father

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I hope all the speeches won't be this long.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

The show itself tonight is very relaxed and everything is going through without showcased scenes and unnecessary filler.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Dern is so drat great.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Mads dancing? How do I see this movie?

Edit: Hulu! I have that!

Zero One fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 26, 2021

Kangra
May 7, 2012

This is actually being filmed at Union Station in LA? I guess it's a wide open space for them to use.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

International film goes to another round

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I like Dern's glasses and Stanfield's disco collar

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Supporting Actor goes to Daniel Kaluuya for Judas and the Black Messiah

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does he have his thank you speech on the floor?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
This is such a stilted speech, right? I'm not imagining things?

Like, it seems he just won an award for acting, but is too shy to look at the audience.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Looks like the JETS ARE GONNA RUMBLE TONNNNIGGHHHT

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I didn't think he was that good, Stanfield deserved it more.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I would have preferred Odom Jr. myself.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I like Kaluuya, I am a little surprised vote splitting didn't keep him and Stanfield out of is though.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

My Face When posted:

Looks like the JETS ARE GONNA RUMBLE TONNNNIGGHHHT

It's weird to do the remake and have it copying so much of the original, at least from the teaser. Maybe after Ready Player One Speilberg's just going to re-create movies of the past.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Im curious why Stanfeld wasnt considered for lead actor.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Yea Kaluuya's performance was very by the numbers. Lakeith should've won it, he got all the scumbag mannerisms down and the sheepish nature of O'Neal.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Hair/Makeup goes to Ma Rainey

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
No one wanted to give a shoutout to Marxist-Leninist-Maoism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Kangra posted:

It's weird to do the remake and have it copying so much of the original, at least from the teaser. Maybe after Ready Player One Speilberg's just going to re-create movies of the past.

I dont think hes put in anything thought provoking since...munich?