Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i wish videl had a personality for more than her introductory arc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

The Bee posted:

The idea of Gohan being the hero makes a lot more sense in the US IMO, where he's pretty much the first thing you see in the series. Raditz revolves around him being kidnapped, the Saiyan arc features him coming into his own, Namek basically has him as the protagonist, and every arc has characters remark on his freakish strength and potential. Meanwhile, Goku is pretty much the fight ending deus ex machina. He gets all the big battles, but spends most of his time shelved or dead. Gohan taking over from him seems like a natural ending point. You know, if you didn't see thd entire charming adventure series of Goku being our unambiguous main protagonist.

I don't really think this would be confusing in Japan either, because its a sequel series though?

Nobody thinks Amuro should be the protagonist of zeta gundam just because he was in the original gundam. Gohan's definitely written to be the protagonist of Z, so its weird that it falters on it. still whips rear end though

a cartoon duck posted:

also this. justice for videl

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Varinn posted:

I don't really think this would be confusing in Japan either, because its a sequel series though?
Dragonball is a single manga, the Z is a purely anime conceit.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

oh, huh neat. never knew that

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

My take on it is: Dark Souls 2 is good, Plague is bad.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Gohan was cool and him and videl in the buu saga was maybe my favorite part of dbz, and infinitely-strong goku is dumb

a cartoon duck posted:

Yeah, the early buu arc is the only part of DBZ that stands out in my memory at all for allowing character stuff to actually go on for a bit.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

My take on it is: Dark Souls 2 is good, Plague is bad.

My take on it is that modern fromsoft has not made an objectively bad game and people who claim they have are either exaggerating the poor qualities of a game that is adequate at worst or are broken themselves.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

My take on it is that modern fromsoft has not made an objectively bad game and people who claim they have are either exaggerating the poor qualities of a game that is adequate at worst or are broken themselves.

All of Dark Souls 2's flaws ultimately just makes it not as good as 1, but Souls games attract the type of person where that gets warped into "the WORST thing EVER".

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I might have actually liked Dark Souls 2, and especially the dlcs, as much as I liked the first DS, but I missed having that huge interconnected world. Other than that though, I don't get the hate. How can you love the first Dark Souls and hate DS2 so much? It's more of the same game.

Flubby fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 25, 2021

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DS3 is more of the same game. DS2 feels like the mid point between the original and one ofthose knockoffs that didn't quite get it like Lords of the Fallen.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Sixteen VODs deep and Paige's Dark Souls 2 playthrough is now just Plague saying "this game/area sucks" and telling her everything that she's about to come across. Essentially puppeteering her is kinda ruining an otherwise fun LP.

Glad they're bringing back everyone's favorite parts about the SBFP Demon's Souls stream.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I like DS2 more than 1 or 3 but less than Bloodborne or DeS

Or any of FROM's actually good franchise, Armored Core.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

DS2 suffers from obvious development problems with its featureless square rooms and some really unfinished bosses, but I like the lore a lot and it still has some really neat areas. I think it's fine, but it's definitely a weird entry into the series. I wish that one day I could get a PS5 and actually experience DeS

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

People get really horny because "Oooh this place actually is physically where it would be" from DS1 and I could not give less of a poo poo about it because I'm playing a game about vague ephemeral fantasy writing and very Japanese mysticism stuff. I honestly prefer 2's style of impossible spaces where turning one way goign down or up a ramp leads you to a completely different locale. Like Going to a castle built on pillars above an endless void that you go below into an enclosed cave lake at the bottom of the world and you go yet deeper still to find a structure built beneath even that even though there's nothing below the castle.

It's much more interesting and works way better about game specifically about how memory and history are misty and ultimately it's impossible to know or understand the whole of it and the things we build, the kingdoms we raise, are only a little more stable than those things. Where even time is unsure of when anything is meant to be.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't give a poo poo either way about DS2's world layout. There's plenty of other reasons to not like the piece of poo poo.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Nah, it has the best weapons, the best weapon mechanic in power stance, had the best PvP when it was still more lively, ADP is annoying but it's just another skill you put some points in and then it's done.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

People get really horny because "Oooh this place actually is physically where it would be" from DS1 and I could not give less of a poo poo about it because I'm playing a game about vague ephemeral fantasy writing and very Japanese mysticism stuff. I honestly prefer 2's style of impossible spaces where turning one way goign down or up a ramp leads you to a completely different locale. Like Going to a castle built on pillars above an endless void that you go below into an enclosed cave lake at the bottom of the world and you go yet deeper still to find a structure built beneath even that even though there's nothing below the castle.

It's much more interesting and works way better about game specifically about how memory and history are misty and ultimately it's impossible to know or understand the whole of it and the things we build, the kingdoms we raise, are only a little more stable than those things. Where even time is unsure of when anything is meant to be.

sure, but youre one of the dumbest people in the whole world.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Every weapon with a counterpart in DS1 is noticeably worse than before because of the animation changes, the enemy placement was done by someone who got stuck on chapter 1 of Sadistic Traps For Dummies, the enemy design is often half baked and whenever grabs get involved they become completely hosed, it's ugly, moving around feels bad, moving the camera feels bad, and it might as well just not have music.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Dabir posted:

Every weapon with a counterpart in DS1 is noticeably worse than before because of the animation changes, the enemy placement was done by someone who got stuck on chapter 1 of Sadistic Traps For Dummies, the enemy design is often half baked and whenever grabs get involved they become completely hosed, it's ugly, moving around feels bad, moving the camera feels bad, and it might as well just not have music.

thats not how I remember it

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You're entitled to your long term amnesia, but I played it start to end this year.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

ds2 has way too many bosses that are way too shallow outside of a few noticeable exceptions, and way too many areas that are very small and very linear. scholar attempts to fix those problems in the same way that a kid being told to clean their filthy room just shoves everything under the bed

all of the dlc areas outside of frigid outskirts and iron passage are way better than anything in the main game though. I wish the design put into those carried across the whole thing

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

A lot of people call out flexile sentry for drowning out its own music with splashing footsteps, and they're right, it does and that's kind of funny. What they miss is that a) most of the other bosses do that too and b) it wasn't worth hearing in the first place.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

There was a part in one of the DLCs that had a crypt with spikes on the floor and it's one of my most hated areas in any game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dabir posted:

I legit think you're mixing up dark souls 1 and 2 here.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
dark souls 2 is fundamentally just not as good as dark souls 1. even if you remove all the level design and weapon and enemy and stat issues that people argue over, the movement feels so much worse. you can like it more because its more RPG-y and has straight up more content, but if you just compare fighting any enemy with any build, dark souls 1 is obviously a better game. thats it

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

hexes were cool as hell

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Power stancing any weapon that could was way more fun and better feeling than 90% of DS1s weapons. There's maybe a handful of weapons in DS1 that are actually fun to use. The franchise has always been getting better incrementally in that regard.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"
ds2, at least with sotfs and the DLCs, is a good and fun game, in spite of being at least 30-40% filler. The DLCs (at least iron king + sunken king, anyway) are stellar. this is not to say ds1 isn't considerably more memorable and fun to revisit though

mind you I am also fond of it because it was the first sbfp LP i watched; packed chock full of pat's mind goblins

otherwise, i have been reverse chronologically watching the shitstorm and am almost at the end (beginning?) and it's strange to hear matt+pat have an easy camaraderie and actually having fun playing lovely horror games together in the earlier ones. admittedly back in 2013 or whatever there hadn't yet been such mudslide of unity asset flip horror game steamtrash to sift through, however

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

ds2 had the best multiplayer and better weapons. powerstancing was a much better mechanic than the double weapon system in ds3. ds3 is secretely the worst dark souls game because its all nostalgia bait.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Voodoo Cafe posted:

ds2, at least with sotfs and the DLCs, is a good and fun game, in spite of being at least 30-40% filler. The DLCs (at least iron king + sunken king, anyway) are stellar. this is not to say ds1 isn't considerably more memorable and fun to revisit though

mind you I am also fond of it because it was the first sbfp LP i watched; packed chock full of pat's mind goblins

otherwise, i have been reverse chronologically watching the shitstorm and am almost at the end (beginning?) and it's strange to hear matt+pat have an easy camaraderie and actually having fun playing lovely horror games together in the earlier ones. admittedly back in 2013 or whatever there hadn't yet been such mudslide of unity asset flip horror game steamtrash to sift through, however

God, the early Shitstorms are so good. One Late Night is maybe my favourite standalone video they ever did, just because of how wound up they get by a lovely ghost that doesn't even animate that they end up hiding under a desk for 5 solid minutes.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

ds2 had the best multiplayer and better weapons. powerstancing was a much better mechanic than the double weapon system in ds3. ds3 is secretely the worst dark souls game because its all nostalgia bait.

DS3 feels like they were afraid to do anything new and weird after everyone screamed about 2 so it's all such safe references to the point one of the longer character arcs in the game ending in the final dlc is a loving patches reveal where he does a real stupid title drop. Just dog poo poo laziness.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 26, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Power stancing any weapon that could was way more fun and better feeling than 90% of DS1s weapons. There's maybe a handful of weapons in DS1 that are actually fun to use. The franchise has always been getting better incrementally in that regard.

Roobanguy posted:

:yeah:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Why do you have to put down Dark Souls 3? It's really good, and it has Gael.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

ds3 had the best bosses in the series overall. for all the talk about “generic guy in armor” bosses in ds2 there are a bunch in ds3 except they are all mostly amazing

it doesn’t quite reach bloodborne levels because of a few stinkers but it gets close to that.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Dark Souls 2 had this NPC which was probably my favorite Dark Souls moment of them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BTzE2vXl30

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The DS2 DLC was so good

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNjp21uMMUQ

Woolie: Conceptulization is no longer my best friend. Now RACISM is my best friend.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Ds3 is good, but it’s still the worst of the souls games IMO.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I legit think you're mixing up dark souls 1 and 2 here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDicGBTRp1Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Raise your shield dummy