Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
they’re stealing VCRs in the first fast and the furious movie even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
b]And He Did![/b] (April 29, 1918)

Everett True Kills a Man (June 28, 1918)

Banana Oil! (February 29, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (June 12, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (November 12, 1935)

Mopsy (January 12, 1937)

Dark Laughter (May 5, 1945)

Those Were the Days (December 25, 1952)

Dinky Fellas (August 2, 1965)

Wee Pals (August 2, 1965)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

BigDave posted:

VCR's had been commercially available since the mid-80s but they still cost. In 1994 a new VCR would set you back $200 or more.

Holy poo poo, there in the center is the exact TV I got in 1994 to take to the college dorms, the GE for $149.88. :corsair:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Ardeem posted:

Except for the one Phantom who rebelled against nopants and is wearing jodhpurs.

One of my favorite things about comics is the nonsensical bold-texting of words. WOODEN HANGERS!!!

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Selachian posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac

I would like to yet again say how much I love Thompson's hideous cat faces

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Finally, Beatty gets down to the business of drawing unmitigated smut!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (August 28, 1974)

Funky COVIDbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Tight on time again, so LifeSkippy had to be the can I kicked down the road.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 26, 2021

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Holy poo poo, Boss Dharma.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Oh gently caress you Batiuk

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

So Funky Winkerbean, which was written like a year in advance actually, was written under the assumption that the pandemic...ended, huh.

Well.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Batiuk's head is deep in his colon but you'd think an editor or someone would have send him a note about altering or pulling these strips.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

I can't believe I never thought of this before, but...why is the bus doing a three-point turn and knocking over mailboxes? Buses aren't by-house pickup services and it'd be much easier to just go around the block or something.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (December 25, 1952)

1. I don’t know why the women in both panels are confused, but Beeman draws really expressive faces.
2. Get bent, Beeman.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

BigDave posted:

VCR's had been commercially available since the mid-80s but they still cost. In 1994 a new VCR would set you back $200 or more.

While this is accurate, VCR technology was still improving readily, with each year bringing new features. This meant that a lot of older models were available in places like resale shops and rummage sales. I distinctly remember one kid who didn't have a VCR back then. His parents were very against new-fangled gadgets, and had a "you're lucky we wasted money on a TV set!" attitude. Everyone else thought this was really odd.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I think my dad bought a top-loading VCR in the early 80s for like $400.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Ghost Who Is Totally Sane.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Look at Batiuk trying to be deep with his "I've worn masks all my life" bullshit. And again, this is an AA meeting, why is Funky even bringing up his business here?

Evil Mastermind posted:

I can't believe I never thought of this before, but...why is the bus doing a three-point turn and knocking over mailboxes? Buses aren't by-house pickup services and it'd be much easier to just go around the block or something.

Because Crankshaft is supposed to be a "Lovable rear end in a top hat" and the running gag is that he keeps running over his neighbor's mailbox and other people's stuff. This is supposed to endear Crankshaft to you, definitely not make you think he's a public menace who needs his driver's license revoked.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

I moved in January and fell behind on the thread, which has now snowballed to almost 6000 unread posts. Finally starting my catch-up tonight. See you all on the other side o7

i lived bitch

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

amigolupus posted:

Look at Batiuk trying to be deep with his "I've worn masks all my life" bullshit. And again, this is an AA meeting, why is Funky even bringing up his business here?

AA stands for Alcoholic Advertising targets.

Actually now I'm curious, how much do they emphasize that whole Anonymous thing? Can people out themselves?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The purpose of the Anonymous thing is so that you don't refuse to get help because you're afraid of the scandal. "Outing" yourself (in the form of "Hey, buddy, you seem to have a problem. So do I, but I know a place that can help..." is a fairly expected thing.

AA isn't the greatest of organizations, but that's as much due to the age of it than anything else. Most of the rules are well-intentioned, they're just based on expectations that didn't wholly mesh with reality.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah I guess I never really picked up on that until you mention it, I don't think that dude has a kid in school (at least I don't recall one ever being mentioned) so why the hell is Crankshaft backing up in his driveway? The bus I rode when I was a kid would turn down a road and back up to turn around, but never in a driveway, not even of the kids they were picking up.

amigolupus posted:

Because Crankshaft is supposed to be a "Lovable rear end in a top hat" and the running gag is that he keeps running over his neighbor's mailbox and other people's stuff. This is supposed to endear Crankshaft to you, definitely not make you think he's a public menace who needs his driver's license revoked.

The worst part of that poo poo is that the guy whose mailbox kept being ran over took Crankshaft to court over it, and it honestly should have been a slam dunk victory for him but Crankshaft won due to some dumbass bullshit I can't even remember, probably something like "He and the judge were buddies and Crankshaft wasn't doing it on purpose so they decided it was fine."

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Sad Bear

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Julet Esqu posted:

The Evanses are really determined to make this 1000% her fault when they break up, aren't they?

To be fair, his mother reacted the same way when he told her that.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Edit: no, wait. Stupid observation.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustav_III
An earlier comic said that it's year 1950, but the year isn't mentioned in the book and based on the other details, it seems to be 1952, which makes the prince 6 years old. He actually manages to whip Eerikki several times before he breaks the whip.

King Fredrik died in 1951 without an heir (bastards don't count). The new king Adolf Fredrik was actually chosen as a part of 1743 peace treaty by demand of Russians.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 26, 2021

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Crankshaft makes a point of pride of making kids miss his bus. He is doing it deliberately because he is a dick.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (December 18-24, 2000)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (August 15, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 15, 1999)

Garfield Classic (August 15, 1989)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Bunlotte

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/25/01

Brenda Starr 5/6-8/46

Because it's been too long since Brenda collected another potential boyfriend.

Smokey Stover 10/6/40

Richard's Poor Almanac

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Batiuk needs to loving retire, holy poo poo

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her hoooooooooobooooy

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Vargo posted:

Phoebe and Her hoooooooooobooooy

as was foretold by the ancient texts

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Author Unknown? LOOK AT THEIR HANDS!

John Allison's Patreon
John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website
My Author Unknown? intro guide password is TheOther

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Cmon Dana, no no no no.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "32 - Jucika and the Petticoat Fashion" NSFW Nudity

"Jucika is Understanding"

"The sign says 'Out of order due to Spring'. It's mainly a joke about how Spring makes people a lot more, shall we say, amorous."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

Oh... Tread carefully, Dana

Ok, well.

I mean there is probably nothing wrong with having an innocent childhood crush on an actual sentient intelligent being in a world with magical creatures

This would even be sort of cute IF NOT FOR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Dykes to Watch Out For #137 (1992)

Rodney King was brutally beaten by cops on March 3, 1991 following a car chase. A passerby, George Holiday, caught the beating on video, leading to a widely publicized backlash to the sight of white cops beating a restrained and prone black man (King sustained 11 skull fractures, a broken ankle, broken teeth, kidney failure, a fractured facial bone, and more).

Four cops were brought to trial for assault and excessive force, and all four were acquitted on April 29, 1992. Within hours LA responded with widespread unrest and agitation, as the ubiquitous video ignited long-simmering racial tensions and resentment towards the racist LAPD, including. Rioting had largely wound down by May 3rd, but federal troops sent into the city remained until the 9th, and the National Guard was not completely withdrawn until the 27th. Ultimately 63 people were killed and over 6,300 arrested over the five day period.

The George H.W. Bush speech Mo is referring to took place on May 6th, after he flew to LA. As much as GHW Bush sucked, from what I can tell Mo or Bechdel are a little confused about the order of events. The infamous "liberal programs of the 60s and 70s" soundbite was delivered by his press secretary, Marlin Fitzwater, earlier in the week, and was immediately recognized as a dire misstep, so by his visit on the 6th Bush was already trying to backpedal the sentiment of laying blame on "Great Society" reforms. Indeed, his White House's response to the crisis was thoroughly lambasted in the media as wishy washy, callous, weak, and extremely alienating to non-white voters.

A recent book by Kai Linke, Good White Queers? Racism and Whiteness in Queer American Comics singles out this strip in particular for what Linke sees as Bechdel's racial quietude-- her insistence on producing a comic about queerness in which race often pops up, rather than engaging meaningfully and materially with race (Linke, 157). I have not finished Linke's book so I can't entirely weigh in on their argument but I think there is a kernel of truth to it-- in this strip, Rodney King's brutalization is grist for a comic about Mo's neuroses, and an open-ended and still seething sociopolitical and racial issue is winnowed into a pointed punchline about one white lady's emotional difficulties. Still-- even acknowledging contemporary injustices with authentic rage and confusion and grief is way more than most comics do, and Bechdel is certainly a million miles away from whatever Batiuk's thing is. What's more, I think Bechdel is increasingly... hm... honest about this, as her characters age and grow into something like middle-aged security and domesticity in the early 21st century. So I think it's a complicated formal issue and I recommend (again, with the caveat that I am not done with it) Linke's book for more on a prevalent and sensitive issue in queer comics.

Anyway speaking of urban violence, na na na na na etc.:

Batman (11/17/1989)

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 26, 2021