Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

BonHair posted:

Screens are universally in inches because the American market was the primary one I think, and no one bothered to change it. I also don't have any real understanding of what the size actually means, it's just 27 inches is a big computer screen or whatever.

Yeah, I use metric for everything else, but I have an instant mental image of how big a 15", 24", 32", 50" or 60" screen is. If it were presented in cm, I wouldn't have that sense of scale without extra mental math.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

BonHair posted:

Screens are universally in inches because the American market was the primary one I think, and no one bothered to change it. I also don't have any real understanding of what the size actually means, it's just 27 inches is a big computer screen or whatever.

Specific measurements being in the "wrong" system because of convention and global supply chains flows both ways, too. Americans use imperial measurements for most things, but we go for 5/10/15k runs, buy 2 liter bottles of soda and 750ml of liquor and wine, and lose 10mm sockets when we work on engines that have a displacement measured in cc or liters.

And let's not even get started on the weird specific things like "keeping airplanes from falling out of the sky" that use knots for speed and distance.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

jesus christ someone post a loving map

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

King Hong Kong posted:

You haven’t lived until you have abbreviated the months of September to December as “7ber” to “10ber” in the fashion of clerks in the sixteenth and seventeenth century.

Yeah it owns

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

BonHair posted:

I also don't have any real understanding of what the size actually means, it's just 27 inches is a big computer screen or whatever.

Screen sizes describe the diagonal distance between the corners.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Yeah it's a bit funny, I live in the UK where imperial is a bit more common but being a filthy euro I often have no idea what it means, I usually go with pint = 0.5l (which I understand is different from american pint), pound = 0.5kg, 1 ft = 0.25m, 1 mile = 1.5km, but other than that I have absolutely no idea how much is an inch. Like it's somewhere between uhh centimetre and decimetre?

And stone is like, uhh, somewhere between 10 and 100 kg? I think?

e: Also ounce I have genuinely zero idea, somewhere between 1ml and 1000ml volume I think? As for acre, uh, somewhere betwen 1 sq meter and 100000 square kilometres, that's probably the most inaccurate one. I just know it's used to measure land. Also yard similar thing, except it's smaller, so maybe up to 10 square km or so?

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 25, 2021

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Private Speech posted:

Yeah it's a bit funny, I live in the UK where imperial is a bit more common but being a filthy euro I often have no idea what it means, I usually go with pint = 0.5l (which I understand is different from american pint), pound = 0.5kg, 1 ft = 0.25m, 1 mile = 1.5km, but other than that I have absolutely no idea how much is an inch. Like it's somewhere between uhh centimetre and decimetre?

And stone is like, uhh, somewhere between 10 and 100 kg? I think?

e: Also ounce I have genuinely zero idea, somewhere between 1ml and 1000ml volume I think? As for acre, uh, somewhere betwen 1 sq meter and 100000 square kilometres, that's probably the most inaccurate one. I just know it's used to measure land. Also yard similar thing, except it's smaller, so maybe up to 10 square km or so?

1 ft is 0.3m. 1 inch is 2.5cm. Ounces are a goddamn nightmare. (It's like 30 ml but there are like five different units named 'ounce'.)

Yards are meters.

Acres are apparently 4000 sq meters.

I think a stone is around 6 or 7 kg?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Private Speech posted:

e: Also ounce I have genuinely zero idea, somewhere between 1ml and 1000ml volume I think?

an ounce is part of either a cup or a pound, and it's 1/8th of one but 1/16th of the other, and i can never remember which is which

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Vavrek posted:

1 ft is 0.3m. 1 inch is 2.5cm. Ounces are a goddamn nightmare. (It's like 30 ml but there are like five different units named 'ounce'.)

Yards are meters.

Acres are apparently 4000 sq meters.

I think a stone is around 6 or 7 kg?

A stone is approx 6.4kg, when people say something like "I need to lose a stone" on British weight loss TV shows (which I assume is where most non-Brits would be seeing people talk about this) then you can think of it as being around 7kg/15lbs.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Muscle Tracer posted:

an ounce is part of either a cup or a pound, and it's 1/8th of one but 1/16th of the other, and i can never remember which is which

Mass ounces are 1/16, liquid ounces are 1/8. I remember this because liquid ounces are able to form a quart which is 1/4 of a gallon and it makes absolute sense. Bing bong so simple.

Also I've never been to the UK but does it not still post car speeds in mph? I assume New Zealand, as always, is the weird holdout among the anglo countries who does everything like the rest of the world while the rest of us make laughingstocks of ourselves.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Muscle Tracer posted:

A fluid ounce is almost exactly one cubic attoparsec. :science:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

In the Netherlands, until the 90s or so it was common to use pound (pond) for EXACTLY 500 grams and ounce (ons) for EXACTLY 100 grams in grocery stores.

Then the government made it illegal to use those units for sales because "they aren't official so they are too easy to mess with". Nowadays old people might use them colloquially in stores but young people don't because they never learned about them.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Badger of Basra posted:

Halifax is stored in the balls.

This is seriously the worst one of these anthropomorphic analogy maps I have ever seen.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Badger of Basra posted:

dear god, what is that man doing to his Maritimes

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

Map technology has gone too far. This is not ok

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Darkest Auer posted:

Unix epoch, bitches

Unix time is bad because it memory-holes leap seconds.

Space Kablooey posted:

Screen sizes describe the diagonal distance between the corners.

Camera sensor size is really fun.

It’s the diameter of a hypothetical evacuated glass video camera tube that has approximately the same useful area as the solid-state image sensor that’s actually in the thing.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Badger of Basra posted:

I'm the scapula/right lung

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also I've never been to the UK but does it not still post car speeds in mph? I assume New Zealand, as always, is the weird holdout among the anglo countries who does everything like the rest of the world while the rest of us make laughingstocks of ourselves.

Of course they do, especially fun if you want to try driving a car with euro speedometer.

I think mile/pound/pint/foot are probably the most common imperial units used in the UK.

I forgot to mention them, but I don't know a cup or gallon either, except in vague terms (so somewhere between 2 and 20 litres for gallon, and uhh, size of a cup for a cup?).

At least the UK doesn't use Fahrenheit, that would screw me over utterly.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 25, 2021

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Other UK thing: selling fuel in litres but measuring consumption in miles per gallon (also our gallon is different)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tsaedje posted:

Other UK thing: selling fuel in litres but measuring consumption in miles per gallon (also our gallon is different)

It took me a month to realize that after watching a bunch of british car review videos on youtube. "Wow, all of these cars sure have great gas mileage!"

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Mandoric posted:

All this talk about the broadcast calendar, but none about the broadcast clock which is where the real action is. Why worry whether "3:30AM Saturday" is the 3:30AM you get staying up Friday or the 3:30AM you get staying up Saturday, when it can just be 27:30 Friday?

You know what? this is dumb, but I like it.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Private Speech posted:

Of course they do, especially fun if you want to try driving a car with euro speedometer.

I think mile/pound/pint/foot are probably the most common imperial units used in the UK.

I forgot to mention them, but I don't know a cup or gallon either, except in vague terms (so somewhere between 2 and 20 litres for gallon, and uhh, size of a cup for a cup?).

At least the UK doesn't use Fahrenheit, that would screw me over utterly.

UK cups are 250ml, and divisions of cups are actual useful measurements for cooking (as long as you don't do completely insane American things like measure like basil leaves in cups like one maddening pesto recipe I found). Gallons are about 4.5 litres and totally useless since the only thing you measure in gallons is fuel and that's always sold by the litre anyway.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 26, 2021

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Han China's colonies on the Korean Peninsula over time.
You'll see in contrasting takes that these were either mere outposts with little actual presence, or in some maps that half the Korean Peninsula was essentially part of the Han Dynasty. The latter seems to be more accurate, but not in the sense that they were equivalent to core Chinese commanderies in the Central Plain so much as that lots of Han frontier regions were part of the empire somewhat more loosely. The core regions of the commanderies (on the map) would usually have governors dispatched to them from the central court along with a central walled Han-style city, but most of the minor officials would have been a native/Chinese mix, or in the outlying villages usually just native. The culture in general seems to have been pretty hybrid, especially after the first century or so, and there are a couple of points where it seems like they may have slipped loose from imperial control under native governors (but the record is extremely spotty).
Beyond the core regions, the commanderies seem to have held sway in a similar sort of way I've heard Roman sway over e.g. Germany characterized. There was seldom a permanent Han Dynasty presence, but the dynasty wouldn't hesitate to send punitive expeditions even to the far end of the peninsula; e.g. the group that went on to become Silla are recorded as having raided the commanderies for slaves, and the commanderies responded by demanding ten-fold their number in return under threat of force. More often than that though, they had a system to manage the borders while simultaneously enticing tribute. Chiefs beyond the frontiers would be granted Han-style dress and titles by the bucketload, and required to use them if they wanted to trade with the commanderies (which everyone did), ensuring a constant bloat of individual claimants and making it difficult for any one chief to amass too much power without facing a lot of rivals.

And it mostly worked. On the peninsula proper, the commanderies emerged as their own powerbase and remained the most significant power for more than a century after the Han Dynasty fell. To the north, facing Goguryeo, they were much less effective (and Xuantu, the northern commandery, had to be repeatedly moved throughout its history), and it was Goguryeo that eventually conquered them in 313. Even after that point though, there's evidence they retained some degree of independent power for a number of decades afterward.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mandoric posted:

All this talk about the broadcast calendar, but none about the broadcast clock which is where the real action is. Why worry whether "3:30AM Saturday" is the 3:30AM you get staying up Friday or the 3:30AM you get staying up Saturday, when it can just be 27:30 Friday?

The real joy is that its possible to have time in broadcast numbers that does not occur in the year its assigned to, is not in the month its part of, does not occur on the day it is happening, and occurs at a time which does not actually exist.

I was literally the only person in a 400+ person company who understood broadcast calendars yet somehow still by default massive pieces of software are built using that as the baseline of how time works.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tsaedje posted:

GoutPatrol posted:

It took me a month to realize that after watching a bunch of british car review videos on youtube. "Wow, all of these cars sure have great gas mileage!"

Reveilled posted:

Gallons are about 4.5 litres
Not sure how, but I've managed to convince myself that a gallon was 4.8 litres. Possibly because it meant that the conversion between km/litre and miles/gallon was just multiplying by 3. And now I find out it's not, and that American gallons aren't even close... At least the British one is close enough that it the conversion factor is not that far off.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Well, no one's listening to their weird rear end tango...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I would've thought Germany was the powerhouse of central europe, not Lichtenstein. I guess they get us with the raw numbers

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Barudak posted:

The real joy is that its possible to have time in broadcast numbers that does not occur in the year its assigned to, is not in the month its part of, does not occur on the day it is happening, and occurs at a time which does not actually exist.

I was literally the only person in a 400+ person company who understood broadcast calendars yet somehow still by default massive pieces of software are built using that as the baseline of how time works.

In a previous life I dealt with train/metro schedules. I still remember the first time I saw a saturday route block departing at 20'00 on and arriving 30:00. OF COURSE on close inspection the first trip section actually departed on friday 20:00 and the last arrived sunday 06:00 in the morning. I thought the ' notation was cute but its probably not exactly ISO standard :3:

Also - the trip sections had to be billed to their 3 separate constituent days, and why a route is assingned to a saturday and not friday I luckily didn't have to deal with. The one guy who did this poo poo kinda sucked at it, but even when he disapperad for a year in prison for drunkenly arsoning his ex he was welcomed back no questions asked! No one else knew or wanted to know how to do this poo poo.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Badger of Basra posted:

Americas brains are nothing but rocks and sky

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Koramei posted:

Han China's colonies on the Korean Peninsula over time.

Neat. I always liked learning about the paralels between how the ancient Roman and ancient Chinese empires operated. Similar problems, similar solutions, I guess.

What events lead to Xuantu being moved/abandoned? Just pressure from Goguryeo or was there more to it?

my dad fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 26, 2021

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
raids from the local hill tribes made it untenable

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Why does everyone in Iceland move to Canada but no canadians go to Iceland?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Only mums go to Iceland

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's an old tradition going back to Leif Ericson

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

my dad posted:

What events lead to Xuantu being moved/abandoned? Just pressure from Goguryeo or was there more to it?

More or less what Zedhe Khoja said, but to elaborate some:
The commanderies were established on the former territory of Gojoseon, with the strongest and most consolidated one, Lelang, centered around the old Gojoseon capital at what's today Pyongyang. It's unclear how centralized Gojoseon was, but it's generally regarded to have been something at least approaching a state (with a clear walled urban center), albeit not really a peer to the contemporary Chinese ones.
Zhenfan and Lintun on the other hand are theorized to have been placed over two of Gojoseon's subjects, Jinbeon and Imdun, which were likely little more than chiefdoms, and Xuantu was basically placed in the wilderness.

So of these, only Lelang actually lasted; all the other commanderies faced continual local resistance, but since Lelang adopted the former Gojoseon power structures (Gojoseon aristocracy remains prominent in Lelang-period archaeology), had a major urban center, and a lot of immigration from China proper (the others didn't), it had a power base, and after a few decades Lintun and Zhenfan are subsumed under its control with their former administrative centers abandoned.

As for Xuantu:

This map is from Korean History in Maps, the former from The Han Commanderies in Early Korean History, Han Commanderies I think is a bit more authoritative but this gives a fuller impression for how Xuantu changed.

I don't actually have either book with me atm and I'm a little bit hazier on this theory, but as I recall: after abandoning Lintun and Zhenfan, Lelang and Xuantu would go on to take on somewhat different roles; Lelang as a mostly more conventional commandery, based on directly administered land (albeit often via local chiefs):

Whereas Xuantu, after moving on from the coast, acted more like an outpost, managing relations with tribal groups--most significantly Goguryeo--that weren't actually under its control. I wish I had a picture of the Xuantu population table with me too since it shows it off pretty well, but you essentially have just a couple of districts but with a much larger population in each, which the scholar infers to mean is essentially representing a tribe that each "district" is responsible for managing and extracting tribute from. Iirc, this essentially means that Xuantu's placement was much less meaningful in a sense than Lelang's, since it wasn't directly tied to the land it was governing; when it faced too much pressure, or had to deal with different groups or changing circumstances, it was simply moved.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 27, 2021

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Canada is a one way street you can enter but never leave.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
e: wrong thread
e2: Koramei how does The Han Commanderies in Early Korean History read? I don't mind reading tedious academic works on my own area of study, but I'm a bit less enthusiastic on other areas, but I kinda wanna know more about Han settlement outside of their core regions.

Zedhe Khoja fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

America
America