Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

fart simpson posted:

im getting my 8th pfizer shot in 2 days

you son of a bitch. back to check in on your honeypot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

8 is a lucky number in china. just saying

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dioxazine posted:

8 is a lucky number in china. just saying

the more 8 the luckier, hence a lot of 88 (although I think 888 is more popular as it's even morer luckier)

e: never seen an 8888 anything, oddly enough?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

because it sounds like the word for “dad”

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

the more 8 the luckier, hence a lot of 88 (although I think 888 is more popular as it's even morer luckier)

g-dragon was born on 18-08-88

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

3D Megadoodoo posted:

4 is very unlucky, so much so to the point that 4s in an account number may lead someone to close it and open a new one

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 26, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

i wish we had superstitions

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

on second thought: no i don't

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
regular stitions then?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i used to work on the 44th floor and people would apparently get hired and then be like "wait no i won't work there." we had two floors so i guess they interviewed on 45 or smth

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
four is very similar to their word for death iirc

so i guess yeah it would’ve been weird living or working on the deathty-death floor

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

i used to work on the 44th floor and people would apparently get hired and then be like "wait no i won't work there." we had two floors so i guess they interviewed on 45 or smth

too tall imo. can you split that into two buildings for me

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

some buildings in hong kong skip any floors with a 4, and also skip multiples of 13

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
our building has floors 12 and "12A", and each floor has flats 41 and 41A. we live at floor 12 41A and we have gotten an awful lot of newborn baby stuff delivered for my upstairs neighbor apparently named Jill who lives at 12A 41. which i ofc bring up to them i don't need a crib or whatever.

this weekend I got a visit from a very kind british lady who introduced herself when i opened the door as "hi im julia the midwife" and i was like man if i am pregnant we have ourselves a biological conundrum.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

3D Megadoodoo posted:

i wish we had superstitions

define we

lots of buildings in north america have the 13th floor skipped still

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

pretty sure finland isnt in north america

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
finland does have superstitions though, like some poo poo about sneezing being good or bad luck depending on how many times in a row you sneeze

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

fart simpson posted:

pretty sure finland isnt in north america

literally the point of the statement “define we”

besides suggesting that they don’t have superstitions like those crazy chinese is just racism

besides

otis, the biggest elevator company, says that some 85% of their installed elevators worldwide lack a floor 13

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mediaphage posted:

literally the point of the statement “define we”

besides suggesting that they don’t have superstitions like those crazy chinese is just racism

besides

otis, the biggest elevator company, says that some 85% of their installed elevators worldwide lack a floor 13

what if finland literally doesnt have superstitions. what then.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

fart simpson posted:

what if finland literally doesnt have superstitions. what then.
sounds like a superstition to avoid superstitions

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

if you look in a mirror in the dark and repeat 'ei saa peittää' three times, Jerry Cotton will show up and post all over the place

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Ofc Finland has no superstitions, it doesn't exist. It's just an old folktale.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

finland does have superstitions though, like some poo poo about sneezing being good or bad luck depending on how many times in a row you sneeze

Yeah I remember my grandma from the 90s.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
most US cities I've been in will have numbered streets like 10th St, 11th St, 12th St, Euclid Ave, 14th St, 15th St etc

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

most US cities I've been in will have numbered streets like 10th St, 11th St, 12th St, Euclid Ave, 14th St, 15th St etc

the worst cities on the planet are the ones where there are four streets named 23rd Ave NE/NW/SE/SW and you better loving get that right when telling siri or you you are going to the ENTIRELY opposite side of town from that store

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
that's easy enough for dc. you just always say nw

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

no city has that. a town, maybe

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

we don’t get that granular around here but we do have east/west and north/south

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

iirc grand rapids does the NW, etc. thing in some places.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

when i lived in a suburb as a kid there was a new road behind a school that was slightly problematic for the inhabitants in that it didn't have a name, for like more than a year.

e: and this was in the 80s so everything important was sent by post

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

3D Megadoodoo posted:

no city has that. a town, maybe

lol we have towns as big as helsinki in north america

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
dc really is just a town, if not for the federal government there wouldn't be a city there

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol we have towns as big as helsinki in north america

helsinki is fairly big for a town, yes. how is that relevant?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
wait this is the geriatrics thread?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

it's ok if your eyesight is going, it happens to all of us as we age

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

rotor posted:

wait this is the geriatrics thread?

there there sit down nice and easy, the nurse will get you a cup of tea *makes the "they've gone over the edge" face at the others*

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i'm obviously not serious but lol the entire finnish population is less than the greater toronto area, which is far less than most american cities

3D Megadoodoo posted:

helsinki is fairly big for a town, yes. how is that relevant?

there are cities here that are >1M that have quadrants (which i loath, but they exist)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

i'm obviously not serious but lol the entire finnish population is less than the greater toronto area, which is far less than most american cities

there are cities here that are >1M that have quadrants (which i loath, but they exist)

i don't see how any of this is relevant?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
on topic: i'm eating raw carrots right now so i get some fibre in me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

3D Megadoodoo posted:

i don't see how any of this is relevant?

i'm saying it's cute when you try to educate people about how all cities work