Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

PriorMarcus posted:

Me and the wife have recently gotten into the current series of Taskmaster. Which are some good past series to binge?

All of them if possible, but 1, 2, 5 and 7 are the real standouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I would just say don’t jump into 10, it’s fine but ideally you want one with the studio audience.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

fischtick posted:

All of them, then find a copy of Taskmaster NZ. It’s just as good.

Taskmaster NZ has Guy Williams as one of the cast members. It goes just as insane as you might think.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Whichever one had Bob Mortimer, and also the one with James Acaster were my favourites. But yeah, they're all good.

What's your best Taskmaster moment?

For me, it's either Joe Wilkinson throwing the potato into a hole or Bob Mortimer getting into his car boot for a cuddle with Alex

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I would just say don’t jump into 10, it’s fine but ideally you want one with the studio audience.
There's also a certain infamous task from the first season best seen before it's sequel in S10 (watermelons).

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Mark Watson getting destroyed by his solo task was one of my favourite moments and Al Murray and Sara Pascoe casually musing independently about how possible it would be to kidnap Alex's kids as a "most surprising thing" really cracked me up.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
One argument for watching them in sequence is that after S1-S5 you can watch Champion of Champions I. It's a good capstone for that era, especially because it gives you a bit more of the contestants who were in the shorter series.

CoC II fan fiction task
pre:
Redeem yourself!

Choose a task from your series that you did badly.

Set up that task, recite the instructions from memory, and do that task again.

Biggest improvement on worst performance wins.

Your time starts now.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Bogmonster posted:

Whichever one had Bob Mortimer, and also the one with James Acaster were my favourites. But yeah, they're all good.

For me, it's either Joe Wilkinson throwing the potato into a hole or Bob Mortimer getting into his car boot for a cuddle with Alex

I think the single biggest laugh out loud for me was Johnny Vegas' "Had an accident at work that wasn't your fault?"

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Taskmaster NZ has Guy Williams as one of the cast members. It goes just as insane as you might think.

I've started watching this, and I've never heard of Guy Williams before. I understand that the Alex Horne role is done by his brother? At the moment, Guy Williams seems like an absolute bellend, but I am really liking Madeline Sami and Angella Dravid.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bogmonster posted:

Rhod's creepy video.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Bogmonster posted:

I've started watching this, and I've never heard of Guy Williams before. I understand that the Alex Horne role is done by his brother? At the moment, Guy Williams seems like an absolute bellend, but I am really liking Madeline Sami and Angella Dravid.

He is. But he gets less-so.
But never not.

(imo)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

My Lovely Horse posted:

Rhod's creepy video.

Rhod was brilliant in general, because he's friends with Greg and both of them were willing to gently caress with each other throughout due to it. Rhod constantly mocked Greg for being fat, and Greg in turn mocked Rhod for being out of shape and getting winded by the simplest things.

The creepy video was the peak of it though, especially Greg's reaction to it. I'm pretty sure Alex never actually showed it to Greg beforehand, going off the little "did you know about this?" he says aside to Alex.

James' frustration with Rhod was great too, culminating in the team task, because Rhod just goes off to do his own thing instead of working with James, and when Phil goes to check on Rhod for James, he just winds up drawn in and helping Rhod instead. Leaving James working alone.

I thought Al Murray was great too, since he tried to weasel around almost every task, usually by just using money to solve the problem in some way.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

DaWolfey posted:

He is. But he gets less-so.
But never not.

(imo)
He never stops being bell-end but he finds a way to be a bell-end that works within the nature of the show. And my brain stills starts humming Are you ready for a song about Libya every so often.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
Anything with Hugh "Desky" Dennis has to be up there. He was great at trying to find the loopholes to make it as easy as possible for him, but doing so in a funny and creative way.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The team task where they had to interview a woman and write a song about her and perform it to her cracked me up so bad. "Rosalind's a loving nightmare, she's a theif but it keeps her out of debt"

Basically watch the series with Bob Mortimer if you're only going to watch one.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

tsob posted:

Rhod was brilliant in general, because he's friends with Greg and both of them were willing to gently caress with each other throughout due to it. Rhod constantly mocked Greg for being fat, and Greg in turn mocked Rhod for being out of shape and getting winded by the simplest things.

The creepy video was the peak of it though, especially Greg's reaction to it. I'm pretty sure Alex never actually showed it to Greg beforehand, going off the little "did you know about this?" he says aside to Alex.

James' frustration with Rhod was great too, culminating in the team task, because Rhod just goes off to do his own thing instead of working with James, and when Phil goes to check on Rhod for James, he just winds up drawn in and helping Rhod instead. Leaving James working alone.

I thought Al Murray was great too, since he tried to weasel around almost every task, usually by just using money to solve the problem in some way.

Rhod also nearly killed Alex by throwing a javelin through the caravan door which was certainly something.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rhod draws from a deep well of manic energy and knows no social or legal boundaries. And that was my impression before he was on Taskmaster. I knew it was going to be a thing to behold.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

sebzilla posted:

Rhod also nearly killed Alex by throwing a javelin through the caravan door which was certainly something.

Yeah, Rhod is just a mental person in general. Him propping his eyes open with selotape and toothpicks for something like 7 minutes to win a contest is another demonstration of his madness. Up there with Romesh Ranganathan putting chilli powder or something in his eyes to get the most tears.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Rhod draws from a deep well of manic energy and knows no social or legal boundaries. And that was my impression before he was on Taskmaster. I knew it was going to be a thing to behold.

The only other thing I've ever seen him on in any significant amount is Would I Lie to You? and his truths on that are so bonkers that it's essentially impossible to distinguish truth from lie, because if he's willing to pay for a meal costing about £15 with a car costing £3000, spend a holiday in a Frenchman's garage with his partner for two weeks after he's realized it's just a garage etc. then how could any lie be more extraordinary? Sean Lock and Rhod Gilbert both appear to have had a huge number of weird jobs going off how they talk about their past on various shows too. Sean Lock made mention of spending a summer as a shepherd in the mountains of some other country, for instance.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rhod's got his literal own show that's all about him trying various different jobs in case you didn't know :v:

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

Rhod's got his literal own show that's all about him trying various different jobs in case you didn't know :v:

All of those are great.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Rhod Gilbert did an interview where he explained those times he just closed his eyes and thought for a spell on Taskmaster were him warding off his initial worst impulses upon reading the task. Which means the unhinged insanity on the tasks was him through a filter.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
At least two comedians, on getting the instruction ‘surprise Alex’ had the immediate impulse to kidnap his children. I think they’re all more like Rhod than we realise.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

It would have been hilarious. Both times.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The best one of those unnerve Alex tasks was whoever contacted his wife without his knowledge and then showed him his credit card information afterwards.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I think that was Lou Sanders. Her and Sally Phillips are both low-key insane and it really comes out in Taskmaster.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Anyone seen that smart meter advert with a weird deep fake Einstein in the bath? Wretched

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

tsob posted:

The best one of those unnerve Alex tasks was whoever contacted his wife without his knowledge and then showed him his credit card information afterwards.

Apparently that was Alice Levine.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Katherine Ryan's Make the Biggest Mess was excellent.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Pablo Bluth posted:

Katherine Ryan's Make the Biggest Mess was excellent.

While it's hilarious that she would be willing to sow that kind of personal chaos just to win a game the best part is that her entire family is so used to her that not one of them bought it for even a second. They didn't even have to know she was on a game show to sus out she was screwing with them; they just knew.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I finished the first series of Yes Minister. Very fun. A bit less savage than The Thick of It as far as political satire goes but they hit the same mark about corrupt politicians being utterly incompetent. I love how Bernard plays dumb a lot of the time and switches sides depending on his morals. Plus he's got some great zingers. The whole back and forth between Humphrey, Bernard and Hacker over why the UK is in the EU had me rolling.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Arcsquad12 posted:

I finished the first series of Yes Minister. Very fun. A bit less savage than The Thick of It as far as political satire goes but they hit the same mark about corrupt politicians being utterly incompetent. I love how Bernard plays dumb a lot of the time and switches sides depending on his morals. Plus he's got some great zingers. The whole back and forth between Humphrey, Bernard and Hacker over why the UK is in the EU had me rolling.

I often feel like shows such as Yes Minister are why boomers are so brain poisoned though.
Not that I don't enjoy it but thinking of how most people take satire seriously, you know.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Taear posted:

I often feel like shows such as Yes Minister are why boomers are so brain poisoned though.
Not that I don't enjoy it but thinking of how most people take satire seriously, you know.

It does paint government as a net positive poking fun at itself. The characters are all awful scheming self serving shitheads but it has the 80s British sitcom attitude of "yes, all that is true, and that is fine." It's a show that wants you to enjoy watching Sir Humphrey humiliate Hacker for thinking he can do any progressive policy when the status quo "works" so well and then chuckle the handful of times Humphrey gets tripped up in his own mind games.

It's a fun show because it does speak truth to bureaucratic stonewallling, but it definitely feels like it's an internal show that sometimes pats itself on the back too much. The Thick of It hits on the same topics a lot of time but Iannuci is a lot more adamant about making sure the audience has contempt for the entire corrupt system.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Taskmaster NZ first series felt a lot like the British one where they’re trying to understand things.

The dynamic of having the brothers on was great as well

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Arcsquad12 posted:

It does paint government as a net positive poking fun at itself. The characters are all awful scheming self serving shitheads but it has the 80s British sitcom attitude of "yes, all that is true, and that is fine." It's a show that wants you to enjoy watching Sir Humphrey humiliate Hacker for thinking he can do any progressive policy when the status quo "works" so well and then chuckle the handful of times Humphrey gets tripped up in his own mind games.

It's a fun show because it does speak truth to bureaucratic stonewallling, but it definitely feels like it's an internal show that sometimes pats itself on the back too much. The Thick of It hits on the same topics a lot of time but Iannuci is a lot more adamant about making sure the audience has contempt for the entire corrupt system.

It's pretty galling to think M. Thatcher was such a big fan of YM that she coerced Eddington & Hawthorne into appearing in an awful fan skit when she presented an award to the show's writers.

Here it is courtesy of the BBC Facebook page, if you can make it through all six minutes of this without cringing yourself inside out you're a stronger person than I.

https://www.facebook.com/BBCArchive/videos/353600081679695

And yes, that's Mary loving Whitehouse chortling away behind Thatch. The award was being presented by the notoriously censorious pressure group the National Viewers and Listeners Association, who were honouring the show as an example of "wholesome comedy." :barf:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Bogmonster posted:

Mel taking that camel through the Baby Gap. Such a stupid joke. Tickles me every time I think about it.

e: or Liza Tarbuck getting Alex to sit in a cake and then running away chortling like the chaos demon she is.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Me and the wife have recently gotten into the current series of Taskmaster. Which are some good past series to binge?

5. Definitely series 5. Bob Mortimer just being an utter legend and Sally Phillips being totally horny (and mental.)

Series 4 with Mel Giedroyc, Hugh Dennis and Noel Fielding is excellent as well.

Honestly though, there's not a single *bad* season, 10 has probably been the worst so far but even then it had its moments.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I haven't watched Yes Minister largely because of seeing the Thatcher clip. Vile.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Total Meatlove posted:

Taskmaster NZ first series felt a lot like the British one where they’re trying to understand things.

The dynamic of having the brothers on was great as well
One of the things I liked so much about TMNZ was it felt like the contestants took their 'homework' much more seriously. So the prize tasks felt like the early UK years, not the laziness that now plagues the series. Plus the costume task ended up with them putting real effort in to some amazing costumes. I have little faith if that was done at the moment in the UK series that the efforts would be so uniformly so well done.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Maelstache posted:

It's pretty galling to think M. Thatcher was such a big fan of YM that she coerced Eddington & Hawthorne into appearing in an awful fan skit when she presented an award to the show's writers.

Here it is courtesy of the BBC Facebook page, if you can make it through all six minutes of this without cringing yourself inside out you're a stronger person than I.

https://www.facebook.com/BBCArchive/videos/353600081679695

And yes, that's Mary loving Whitehouse chortling away behind Thatch. The award was being presented by the notoriously censorious pressure group the National Viewers and Listeners Association, who were honouring the show as an example of "wholesome comedy." :barf:

The universal truth about conservative politicians not knowing that the things they like are actually mocking them applies to the British Tories as well, I see.

Yes Minister is mainly about enforcing the status quo and being fine with that. The Thick of It is about looking at the status quo and saying "this is loving broken."

That said, it must have been rough for Hawthorne and Eddington to be a part of that sketch. Everything I've read about Eddington paints him as an ardent leftist and conscientious objector so getting dragged out next to the Iron Ork to do fan fiction while a gun is held to the head of your TV programme must have been awful.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Arcsquad12 posted:

That said, it must have been rough for Hawthorne and Eddington to be a part of that sketch. Everything I've read about Eddington paints him as an ardent leftist and conscientious objector so getting dragged out next to the Iron Ork to do fan fiction while a gun is held to the head of your TV programme must have been awful.

Yes, according to this article I read they didn't have much choice in the matter, it was basically sprung on them at very short notice and they were unable to wriggle out of it (luckily for Derek Fowlds, he was on tour with a play at the time and had a good excuse not to be involved).

Also Thatcher apparently had no understanding of comedy at all, every time her speechwriters included a joke in one of her speeches they would explain at great length why it was funny and she would never get it.