Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Borderlands 2 was good, i really enjoyed the art style. For an anime videogame you'd expect a lot worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Serephina posted:

Soooo... why have level scaling at all on gear? Why not just say "Here is your shotgun, enjoy"? That's what ticks me off about this stuff, item leveling never adds anything to the game, and the 'best' implementations you see are just downplaying the impact as much as possible.

they made that game and it was called Halo and it is better than destiny 2

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Serephina posted:

Soooo... why have level scaling at all on gear? Why not just say "Here is your shotgun, enjoy"? That's what ticks me off about this stuff, item leveling never adds anything to the game, and the 'best' implementations you see are just downplaying the impact as much as possible.

Absolutely. It's just flat out bad from a gameplay perspective. It can do nothing but make fights too trivial or annoyingly hard. Which is why most of those games just balance loot drops around you always being properly leveled, making all of these stats mostly pointless for gameplay.

Off the top of my head the only game I can think that has a loot aspect that actually adds to the game is Hades, because it has a big impact on the build you are making for that run, and ends up being really important for keeping the game fresh each time.

Caesar Saladin posted:

I thought the shooting in Destiny is in an entire other league to Borderlands 3

Don't get me wrong it is better than BL3 by a wide margin. It's just worse than it would be if it weren't a loot game.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Returnal looks fun but it has the aesthetic of a Graphics Card box from the year 2001

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

veni veni veni posted:

Absolutely. It's just flat

Off the top of my head the only game I can think that has a loot aspect that actually adds to the game is Hades, because it has a big

Dead Cells became more fun when I stopped trying to, by chance, get specific gear for each run and instead took what it gave me and let that shape my entire run from there. It has percentage changes but nothing like a point zero zero 4 increase in whatevs per some new weapon. It sounds like borderlands goes overboard with that stuff.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Serephina posted:

And that's basically the looter-style of games in a nutshell, people! Someone found a way to stimulate the 'new shiny' part of people's brains, except it turns out that's grossly unfulfilling and a meritless thing to design games around exclusively. Everything about Borderlands just *collapses* the second you get off the loot train.

Like, when Rage came out I was in love with it since it actually gave you good, fun guns to shoot at enemies who respond well to being shot at, and I will forgive that half-done game of everything since it arrived in a dearth of shooters. I was *so sick* of loot games, bad fps games, and Borderlands being the unholy union of the two that was somehow massively popular at the time.

Are you talking about Rage or Rage 2? The only looter shooters out in 2011 when Rage came out were Borderlands and the corpse of Hellgate London, which had been shut down since 2008.

E:and ARPGs with loot had been dead for so long people actually liked Torchlight.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 26, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Are you talking about Rage or Rage 2? The only looter shooters out in 2011 when Rage came out were Borderlands and the corpse of Hellgate London, which had been shut down since 2008.

E:and ARPGs with loot had been dead for so long people actually liked Torchlight.

Looters in general, and bad shooters (COD, etc) in general. And then Borderlands 1+2 which was the unholy union and I regret ever playing, even on the couch with friends. Rage came out in a period of no good 'classic' fps games for loving ages, it was a travesty. I also probably got to it a few years after that.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I remember the Rage iOS game being more fun than the console/PC version and that is my legit unpopular opinion.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Rage 1 still had some of the most impressive enemy movement until Doom 2016 released imo. I know it was more or less "scripted" in the sense that they had to design all these routes the AI could take by hand, but seeing it in motion the first time when enemies swarm you, jumping over cover, climbing along walls etc. was awesome. Gunplay was also pretty good.

Too bad that between the good parts are hours of boring stuff and bad driving.

If there'd be a mod that takes out all of the open world and driving stuff, and just lets me play the FPS part of Rage 1, I'd be all over it again.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

tuo posted:

Rage 1 still had some of the most impressive enemy movement until Doom 2016 released imo. I know it was more or less "scripted" in the sense that they had to design all these routes the AI could take by hand, but seeing it in motion the first time when enemies swarm you, jumping over cover, climbing along walls etc. was awesome. Gunplay was also pretty good.

Too bad that between the good parts are hours of boring stuff and bad driving.

If there'd be a mod that takes out all of the open world and driving stuff, and just lets me play the FPS part of Rage 1, I'd be all over it again.

Rage 2 is pretty good. Still flawed but the shooting is still fun as hell, definitely worth a shot if you haven’t played it. The superpowers it adds are a great addition to the real solid shooting.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the only good part of level scaling is when the developpers mess up and you end up with a scenario where the starting pea shooter is actually the most devastating weapon of all

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

and ARPGs with loot had been dead for so long people actually liked Torchlight.

my UVO: I loved Torchlight. I loved the esthetics, liked the soundtrack, like the way the central hub (the town) was set up, and the idea of having a follower to send back to the hub that could sell your trash without stopping your exploration. The story was trash, but I didn't think it was bad, just generic shlock to get the player moving forward, same as Diablo 1. My problem with it was the same as with Diablo 2's skill trees: skills that become obsolete the moment you level up the next skill down the tree.

Other than that, I even preferred it to Torchlight 2, which I found meandering and without a tight direction.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Rage 2 is pretty good. Still flawed but the shooting is still fun as hell, definitely worth a shot if you haven’t played it. The superpowers it adds are a great addition to the real solid shooting.

Yeah, I enjoyed Rage 2. It has it's flaws, but the combat mechanics and shooting felt cool.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This poo poo was fascinating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-BZ5-Q48lE

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Yeah this is dope!

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

tuo posted:

Yeah, I enjoyed Rage 2. It has it's flaws, but the combat mechanics and shooting felt cool.

i own Rage 2 on both console and PC. it's pretty good on console, but at 144 Hz on PC, the combat and driving is much, much tighter.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

!Klams posted:

Death Stranding I bought really soon after it got released having not read any reviews. I loving loved it, in the same way having not read anything whatsoever about Demon Souls and playing that turned out, just constantly being super weirded out by super odd and interesting choices in it, like, really unprepared for what it might do next.

I can completely sympathize with anyone saying that they didn't enjoy Death Stranding, or thinks its poo poo. I would completely understand why someone would have that view. But, I was just so refreshed by how it pushed things forward.

i'm about 24 hours into Death Stranding and am very surprised at how much i'm really enjoying it. It's such an eclectic collection of bizarre elements chucked together, that it should not work at all.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

tango alpha delta posted:

i own Rage 2 on both console and PC. it's pretty good on console, but at 144 Hz on PC, the combat and driving is much, much tighter.

And it’s currently free on Gamepass.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Borderlands 2 was good, i really enjoyed the art style. For an anime videogame you'd expect a lot worse

reported for trolling

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

smellmycheese posted:

And it’s currently free on Gamepass.

lol, that's true, so i guess i'm 'renting' Rage 2 and Doom Eternal for my PC instead of 'owning'.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 27, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I liked Rage a lot despite it's faults, but I can't get over how rear end the art direction in rage 2 is compared to the first one. For all of the crap Rage got about being "like Fallout" I thought it actually had it's own style that was pretty cool. Also from the brief time I played 2 it just felt like a generic open world game when the first one was basically a curated linear shooter with an open world shoehorned in between the levels.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also the cover art is loathsome

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's like western AAA games are terrified of being just one genre so they try to mash together all of them

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's like western AAA games are terrified of being just one genre so they try to mash together all of them

i dunno, Titanfall 2 is very good for being a mashup of several play styles.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Rage was crap and Rage 2 was crap. Two games best forgotten by time

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'll maintain that if you ripped the open world out of Rage it's pretty good. Like, the level design is solid and the shooting is really fun and it looked amazing at the time. it was all just split up by stints of nothing and middling car combat. From what I played of Rage 2 it is actual crap.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I'll maintain that if you ripped the open world out of Rage it's pretty good. Like, the level design is solid and the shooting is really fun and it looked amazing at the time. it was all just split up by stints of nothing and middling car combat. From what I played of Rage 2 it is actual crap.

Rage 2 has an identical issue.

I do not understand why there aren't more FPS Metroidvanias

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

Rage 2 has an identical issue.

I do not understand why there aren't more FPS Metroidvanias

Actually a good question. Hell, you could probably make one in Doom.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Rage is one of those games only people who post about playing every new game release post about. A game so 6/10 only the wide eyed goobers who game 20 hours a day in joyless stasis can even recall.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Rage is one of those games only people who post about playing every new game release post about. A game so 6/10 only the wide eyed goobers who game 20 hours a day in joyless stasis can even recall.

Only reason I remember Rage is the megatexture tech. Which was a recurring pattern for id. Mediocre games with some cool tech innovations by Carmack.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

lobsterminator posted:

Only reason I remember Rage is the megatexture tech. Which was a recurring pattern for id. Mediocre games with some cool tech innovations by Carmack.

I beat Rage and I couldn't even tell you what the plot was. I can barely remember anything besides that cool rear end knife boomerang you get.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Rage2 is pretty mediocre until you start unlocking all the powers for your player.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Rage was extremely hype being the first Id game in like a decade. Lol I barely played games when it came out and it was my most anticipated thing for like a year. Also gently caress off. You shitpost all day about how blasé games are why not find something better to do with your time then.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

veni veni veni posted:

Also gently caress off. You shitpost all day about how blasé games are why not find something better to do with your time then.

I do - i play the really really good games instead of the really really bland ones :shrug:

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

lol, what is this faux edgy poo poo? Rage and Rage 2 feature enemies that react where they are shot, which is something most modern games still don't feature yet. It's a subtle kind of immersion that most games still can't get right.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I finished Wasteland 3 last weekend. I really enjoyed it and it left me wanting more. I would have liked more side quests and general exploration, but I think they scoped it perfectly for what their team was able to achieve. There were some visual bugs like relatively often during combat characters would just glide without animation, but nothing that affected gameplay.

Wasteland 2 was ok, but it felt like a Kickstarter Unity game. Wasteland 3 felt like a real game. Same thing happened with Pillars of Eternity 1 vs 2.

I've tried to get into Torment: Tides of Numenera but that game just doesn't grip me. I'm a big fan of Planescape: Torment and Numenera mainly makes me want to replay PS:T.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rage 2 may not have been a good game but shooting people felt good because there was a low time to kill and hitting them made them flinch.

Nothing I love more than shooting a guy during a run animation to cover and he just trucks along unless I empty his hp fully

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

tango alpha delta posted:

lol, what is this faux edgy poo poo? Rage and Rage 2 feature enemies that react where they are shot, which is something most modern games still don't feature yet. It's a subtle kind of immersion that most games still can't get right.

Does it feature bullet going into water physics too or did they skip that like with cyberpunk?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

In the grand scheme of things hoping a new Id game is good isn't really that wild or worth throwing out personal insults over.

I'm just tired of your "I'm too cool for everything" bullshit. You aren't fooling anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Does it feature bullet going into water physics too or did they skip that like with cyberpunk?

lol, if you'd played the games, instead of dismissing them out of hand, you'd already know the answer.