Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Played six hours of Sekiro yesterday. I think this might be one of my all time favourite games ever. Just blown away by the way it feels and handles. This is the first from game where failing over and over is not an issue and I want one more run.

Yesterday I said I would play for 6 hours and at 5 hours and 55 minutes I was about to put it down after a close attempt at Lady Butterfly and everyone said 'No' so I thought let us see how many attempts we can squeeze into that five minutes. Two attempts. The second I had only 2 minutes to go and it all clicked and I beat her :D Felt absolutely amazing!

Also beat the ogre dude, the horse general, the first spear guy (spear guys who caused me SO much grief in BB - DS1 - DS2 - DS3 are getting clowned on in this!) the drunkard (kept the dude who helps you alive as well) a couple of other 2 deathblow minibosses general looking dudes and the mist raven dude. I honestly cannot believe how nice it is to have slipped into this game and feel so at home in it. I honestly thought my GOTY for 2021 was confirmed midway through Friday but it seems I was mistaken. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rinkles posted:

gears pop servers pop today :rip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa3ZTM4Etas

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Rip

Dare i say it I *gulp* quite like the gears games
you probably didn't like this gears game, though

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

VideoGames posted:

Played six hours of Sekiro yesterday. I think this might be one of my all time favourite games ever. Just blown away by the way it feels and handles. This is the first from game where failing over and over is not an issue and I want one more run.

Yesterday I said I would play for 6 hours and at 5 hours and 55 minutes I was about to put it down after a close attempt at Lady Butterfly and everyone said 'No' so I thought let us see how many attempts we can squeeze into that five minutes. Two attempts. The second I had only 2 minutes to go and it all clicked and I beat her :D Felt absolutely amazing!

Also beat the ogre dude, the horse general, the first spear guy (spear guys who caused me SO much grief in BB - DS1 - DS2 - DS3 are getting clowned on in this!) the drunkard (kept the dude who helps you alive as well) a couple of other 2 deathblow minibosses general looking dudes and the mist raven dude. I honestly cannot believe how nice it is to have slipped into this game and feel so at home in it. I honestly thought my GOTY for 2021 was confirmed midway through Friday but it seems I was mistaken. :D

Butterfly is such a great fight. Its where Sekiro really dispels any illusion that you can just souls strafe dodge your way through; you're gonna have to use the sword-clashing mechanics but it feels SO good when you nail it.

Ironically the ogre is the exact opposite and fights just like a souls boss and teaches you everything you learned about Sekiro is wrong. I kinda don't like him.

The Ashina Seven Spears guy is wicked hard early on in the game, totally optional but most of us like to slam our heads against him until we get it; good practice on the Mikiri counter.

Good job so far!

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love the old majora's mask commercials

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5Mf2mp6fms

"Usin' all my minutes"

Zaphod42 posted:

But that's not what pmchem is asking about.

And... I wasn't replying to him? :confused:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

The Ashina Seven Spears guy is wicked hard early on in the game, totally optional but most of us like to slam our heads against him until we get it; good practice on the Mikiri counter.

i completely missed the spears guy on my playthrough and instead bashed my head in for hours against the purple ninja guy guarding the mist raven feathers

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Acerbatus posted:

And... I wasn't replying to him? :confused:

...You replied to HaveBlue who replied to pmchem, that was the thread conversation.

And I agreed with you? I wasn't saying you were wrong or anything I was just threading the train of thought...

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

...You replied to HaveBlue who replied to pmchem, that was the thread conversation.

And I agreed with you? I wasn't saying you were wrong or anything I was just threading the train of thought...

I'm just confused why you pointed out that it wasn't what the first guy was asking about when that isn't what I was replying to.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Butterfly is such a great fight. Its where Sekiro really dispels any illusion that you can just souls strafe dodge your way through; you're gonna have to use the sword-clashing mechanics but it feels SO good when you nail it.

Ironically the ogre is the exact opposite and fights just like a souls boss and teaches you everything you learned about Sekiro is wrong. I kinda don't like him.

Good job so far!

I beat the spear guy first time without any worries. It was one of those moments where chat went 'what?' because I had the cool move and I had the right rhythmn straight away. Same with ogre who I would have beaten first time as well if I remembered I could heal :) I am myself the ultimate boss in all games I play.

Kerrzhe posted:

i completely missed the spears guy on my playthrough and instead bashed my head in for hours against the purple ninja guy guarding the mist raven feathers

Yeah he took me a good forty minutes and when I won I was not expecting it because I have difficulty seeing the health/posture bars above the non boss enemies.
There were a lot of fun deflections though!

https://clips.twitch.tv/SucculentFilthyTrollNerfRedBlaster-Rt9AyKctBdW4t82_

:D

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

I'm just confused why you pointed out that it wasn't what the first guy was asking about when that isn't what I was replying to.

Its a Segue into moving between the topic of your conversation and moving back to what he was asking about, as I elected to respond to you both, as the conversation is interesting :v:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

Its a Segue into moving between the topic of your conversation and moving back to what he was asking about :v: Dunno why you're making such a big deal out of it.

I'm not, I was just confused. Maybe it was a moment of autism acting up for me and it's actually totally normal way to phrase things. :shrug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

I'm not, I was just confused. Maybe it was a moment of autism acting up for me and it's actually totally normal way to phrase things. :shrug:

I mean, text on the internet, you'd probably get what I meant if we were actually talking IRL and you could hear my voice.

But I quoted both of you so I'm not sure how else to explain myself. Seemed logical to just be like "oh yeah this, but also that's different from this other thing" when quoting both of you.

:words: Probably equal parts each of our fault.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zaphod42 posted:

Good job so far!

I finally beat Butterfly after I gave up on memorising the sword patterns and just dodged around her like a motherfucker getting in cheap shots to her back.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

stev posted:

I finally beat Butterfly after I gave up on memorising the sword patterns and just dodged around her like a motherfucker getting in cheap shots to her back.

Well so much for my "this fight forces you to approach it different" theory lol

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Has Sekiro ever been on sale? I know it’s worth $60 as a modern FromSoft game but it feels like one of those things that should constantly be going on sale so I’d hate to drop the full price after beating DS3 and then oops it’s $25 now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zaphod42 posted:

Well so much for my "this fight forces you to approach it different" theory lol

IIRC Genichiro was the one that really taught me how Sekiro works. That was definitely the one that made it all click for me and where it first felt really good. It also took me about six months to beat him.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Has Sekiro ever been on sale? I know it’s worth $60 as a modern FromSoft game but it feels like one of those things that should constantly be going on sale so I’d hate to drop the full price after beating DS3 and then oops it’s $25 now.

Cheapest it's been on PC is £29 on sale at Humble with the 20% Choice discount. I guess with it being Activision the most it's likely to drop is 50% at some time in the next 2 years, if ever. Ultimately we're lucky it didn't release 1 year later as an always-online Battle.net exclusive.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Playing Persona 4 and the Scooby Gang are like "hmm what could possibly link these murder victims that are being thrown into tv land?" and I'm hootin' and hollerin' when they won't let me give the obvious answer.

Game is fun so far but the Persona system is v. daunting.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Just make sure you have access to all the elements and you'll be fine for most of the game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ciaphas posted:

speaking of cyberpunk, I've been thinking about Shadowrun again recently

mostly fond memories of the Genesis game, but also thinking I never played more than an hour and a bit of any of the HBS games despite owning all 3

Which ones're the "good" ones again? I remember one was considered noticeably weaker than the rest at the time

More importantly: which ones'll let me deck my way to victory and total dominance a la the Genesis deckers? :v:

Both Shadowrun Hong Kong and Shadowrun Dragonfall are noticeably better than Shadowrun Returns, which was made on a much smaller budget and by a team that was still learning as it went.

Hong Kong has the most refined mechanics and probably the best version of the Matrix interactions, but a lot of people prefer Dragonfall as a campaign/aesthetic. I think both are excellent, especially with the added content both received. Decker builds are very viable in all 3 games, although deckers are obviously not as useful in regular combat as they could be.

I recommend checking out some of the workshop content, especially "The Caldecott Caper", a fan campaign that approaches the quality of the official ones.

Ciaphas posted:

if the goblinization thing happens i hope the dice roll lands on ork for me

the dystopian future better include at least some of the fun bits damnit

I can't decide if I'd rather turn into an elf (good looks, extended lifespan, possible immortality, access to dumb cults that want to rule the world) or a troll (punch through bricks, scare no good teens away from my lawn)

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Apr 26, 2021

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

unless there's a twist at the end, i'm on the last level of portal reloaded, the portal 2 mod that adds the famous third portal to the middle mouse button that moves you forwards and backwards in time, and I really intensely dislike it. what it really amounts to in most of the levels is you have two exact duplicates of the same test chamber, but only one of the two identical solutions is the right one. except there's a slight asymmetry between present and future, anything you do vis a vis portals or cubes in the present gets carried over into the future but not vice versa, so you can do poo poo like use future portals to technically have more than 2 portals in the mix, or carry future cubes into the present to double up. but as soon as you touch anything in the present it fucks up everything you set up in the future, meaning you already need to know whats up in the present before you can touch the future, and a lot of stuff relies on hidden action at a distance which is very much counter to the portal aesthetic of incredibly tactile solutions to puzzles

there was one room that i stared at for an hour where first you need to get a cube which was itself required a very silly combination of present and future portals to move platforms around to reach, and then you have to engineer a mechanism to use the cube to block a laser, and then drop it onto a button, and then remove it from the button (by disturbing the position of the present-cube so the future-cube sitting on the button no longer exists), and its just the worst example of knowing exactly what you need to do but having to gently caress around to get the exact sequence of stuff right. most of which is happening off screen with zero feedback

also i can't really hold it against it but for a portal game, the writing is extremely unfunny. pretty much the whole thing is the bad kind of fangame

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Portal 2 already read like a bad fangame for me so the last point seems on-brand.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

portal 2, is good

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Chev posted:

Portal 2 already read like a bad fangame for me so the last point seems on-brand.

:eyepop: :popeye: :eyepop:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Yikes. That post. Yikes. My heart.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
See, for example that in the original game Glados was an ice inhibitor that was subject to absurd amounts of feature creep until it became able to kill everyone while its designers couldn't figure out why an ice inhibitor that talks and is an operating system ranks lower than an ice inhibitor that gets rid of ice was a fantastic project management joke that showcased the absurdity of Aperture Science better that anything they come up with in 2, and giving Glados a human past and tragic backstory detracts from all that.

Chev fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 26, 2021

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

homeless snail posted:

portal 2, is good

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Chev posted:

See, for example that in the original game Glados was an ice inhibitor that was subject to absurd amounts of feature creep until it became able to kill everyone while its designers couldn't figure out why an ice inhibitor that talks and is an operating system ranks lower than an ice inhibitor that gets rid of ice was a fantastic project management joke that showcased the absurdity of Aperture Science better that anything they come up with in 2, and giving Glados a human past and tragic backstory detracts from all that.

i just wish Whatley wasn't a character in Portal 2, holy poo poo

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

goblin week posted:

Please thread. Please.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I liked the one that says space a lot.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

goblin week posted:

The highlight of Stephen Merchant's career just ahead of the office

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The highlight of Stephen Merchant's career just ahead of the office

No it was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86ByUwUgq94

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

As of a few days ago I know what this is, and it's good

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

I would point out flaws in the portal games

But april fool's day was like a month ago.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

the man’s body looks like a special effect

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I'm playing the Switch port of Oddworld: Munch's Odyssey. It's nice to play a game that handles political themes well but these turn of the century motion controls aren't perfect and the context sensitive action button is way too context sensitive.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

As of a few days ago I know what this is, and it's good

For anyone wondering it's 'Darkplace' and it's very good but because its British it got one season of 6 episodes because thats how tv is made here. It might have been the last funny thing made for British tv.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Lurdiak posted:

Both Shadowrun Hong Kong and Shadowrun Dragonfall are noticeably better than Shadowrun Returns, which was made on a much smaller budget and by a team that was still learning as it went.

Hong Kong has the most refined mechanics and probably the best version of the Matrix interactions, but a lot of people prefer Dragonfall as a campaign/aesthetic. I think both are excellent, especially with the added content both received. Decker builds are very viable in all 3 games, although deckers are obviously not as useful in regular combat as they could be.

I recommend checking out some of the workshop content, especially "The Caldecott Caper", a fan campaign that approaches the quality of the official ones.

I can't decide if I'd rather turn into an elf (good looks, extended lifespan, possible immortality, access to dumb cults that want to rule the world) or a troll (punch through bricks, scare no good teens away from my lawn)

thanks for this. I think I'll install Dragonfall and try that again first

wonder if Riggers're any good, robots are cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Regarde Aduck posted:

For anyone wondering it's 'Darkplace' and it's very good but because its British it got one season of 6 episodes because thats how tv is made here. It might have been the last funny thing made for British tv.

They wanted to do more but it was too expensive to make it look like poo poo lol