Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Hooplah posted:

tbh you dont need the nitrogen to get some returns. the whole thing is energy positive converting the liquid byproducts into benzene and burning that. that's what i did until i could get my n2 setup routed into it.

actually i'm not sure it was energy positive before adding n2. it definitely is after, though.

Well, you can't get Charcoal Byproducts themselves without nitrogen. You can, however, get Wood Tar without nitrogen, and between distilling the wood tar from the pyrolyse oven into Benzene, as well as fluid extracting the charcoal output into more wood tar, you can easily net power. I set up my pyrolyse setup in MV and while I did convert it to a quadruple distillation tower setup mulching Charcoal Byproducts instead of just the Wood Tar, it still powers a significant portion of my base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

sorry, when i said byproducts i was shorthanding it for wood tar, forgot that was actually a thing. distilling wood tar and burning the benzene produces net energy for the oven.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
Gwyneth, what are you using for power in IV? From your screenshots it looks like you just throw a nuclear reactor down by your big machines (EBFs, etc.)?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Faldoncow posted:

Gwyneth, what are you using for power in IV? From your screenshots it looks like you just throw a nuclear reactor down by your big machines (EBFs, etc.)?

That's basically it. I have like five nukes right now, plus some auxiliary benzene power. I'm looking to set up a fluid nuke some point soon, but it takes an absolute fuckton of titanium for all the pieces. I need a large heat exchanger, plus 6 large steam turbines (3 high pressure and 3 regular.) If I did my math right, that'll output a total of 30,420 EU/t, or 3.7 amps of IV power with this reactor design:

(it also needs a source of distilled water and IC2 coolant, but that's quite a bit cheaper to set up.)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

SynthesisAlpha posted:

So Hydrogen isn't as useful unless you're making fuel from oil. Oxygen gets used in huge quantities for things like the arc furnace or making steel in the Electric Blast Furnace. Electrolyzing also consumes a TON of power (because hydrogen can be used to generate power it needs to be net negative).

What I like to is use a compressor to make compressed air cells, then centrifuge those for nitrogen and oxygen. You can make it an automatic closed system using a GT tank since they auto-empty filled cells and just route the empty ones back into the compressor. The entire setup uses like 10 eu/t which makes it great for running off solar.

The nitrogen can be used to lower the EU cost of making aluminum in the EBF from 192k to 144k so it's actually a net gain of power using the nitrogen that way.

If you've gotten to the twilight forest and have any extra steel, the high pressure solar boilers are an excellent way to power independent low draw setups until you can make ordo infused solar panels with thaumcraft.
This is great information and I'll keep it in mind next time I play! Thanks!

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
What's the EV/IV power storage solution? For HV and before batteries were fairly easy to make, but it looks like I need Sunnarium for EV. Is there anything hidden that I'm missing as an alternative?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Faldoncow posted:

What's the EV/IV power storage solution? For HV and before batteries were fairly easy to make, but it looks like I need Sunnarium for EV. Is there anything hidden that I'm missing as an alternative?

Lapotrons for EV. GT++ also has some quad-cell batteries, can't remember their name.

You can also make a Power Substation in IV, which is a huge power storage device (just not portable as it's a multiblock.)

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

BlondRobin posted:

For what it’s worth the only way to speed up the rate at which essentia moves from the furnace to an alembic (any alembic, more alembic won’t speed it up) is using Alumentum as fuel. For this reason I used to create infinite Alumentum to run my essentia burners, though I haven’t in my own GTNH run since they tripled the cost of the conversion and made it harder to get charcoal.

Also there’s an upgraded alchemical furnace in one of the mod mods, it requires Alumentum but is supposed to be even faster? I haven’t tested it yet.

Honestly I can’t imagine needing to duplicate ores in this pack given a casual mine will get thousands upon thousands, and then you can just have a robot mine for you at any level so you can have as many ore veins as you want, but I also cheated in a prospector scanner I guess. It’s probably more important if you’re playing totally legit.

What got me on this track was stuff like this:
https://imgur.com/a/PlqCN

...where they are stuffing bellows on buffers for some reason. So I had a notion that I could draw the essentia more quickly with them if I introduced some buffers and bellows. It doesn't seem too straightforward.

I guess the advanced alchemical furnace is the thing that might do this faster, but I'm anticipating the recipe for that to be especially nasty in GT:NH.

I'm trying to get way ahead on AE2 in the pack and start hooking up everything. Doing that with some ergonomics and aesthetics is going to eat up a ton of cable. At this point, I have a complete flow from a cobblestone generator to the furnace to get vitreus and I'm trying to lean into it. There's always the old thing of making more than one furnace and going parallel instead, but I'd rather do some clever buffer/bellows thing if it will be faster.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What got me on this track was stuff like this:
https://imgur.com/a/PlqCN

...where they are stuffing bellows on buffers for some reason. So I had a notion that I could draw the essentia more quickly with them if I introduced some buffers and bellows. It doesn't seem too straightforward.

I guess the advanced alchemical furnace is the thing that might do this faster, but I'm anticipating the recipe for that to be especially nasty in GT:NH.

I'm trying to get way ahead on AE2 in the pack and start hooking up everything. Doing that with some ergonomics and aesthetics is going to eat up a ton of cable. At this point, I have a complete flow from a cobblestone generator to the furnace to get vitreus and I'm trying to lean into it. There's always the old thing of making more than one furnace and going parallel instead, but I'd rather do some clever buffer/bellows thing if it will be faster.

Using bellows on buffers increases their suction (which is the range it’ll drain from, an doesn’t affect the rate at which it transfers.)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

FPzero posted:

My own GTNH world. I'm in LV, almost at MV.

My base at a wide, high angle. You can see some animal pens I haven't filled, my small farm, my original 9x9 cobblestone houses, my smeltery way in the back, and my steam age setup. I moved to this tropical rainforest a while back to take advantage of the 120% humidity. Unfortunately, it means I can't do any bees here, so that's a bit of a downside for now.

You can get around this by planting Silverwood trees until one grows with a node in it, which will start converting nearby tiles into Enchanted Forest, which is a normal/normal forest biome which will let you breed a lot of bees.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

as someone who knows nothing about minecraft modding but lovesd factorio and all that, is the FTB interactions pack a good way to get started?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

queeb posted:

as someone who knows nothing about minecraft modding but lovesd factorio and all that, is the FTB interactions pack a good way to get started?

FTB Interactions is based around a version of the GregTech mod, which is notorious for its difficulty and grind. It's sort of like Angel/Bob's for Factorio.

A gentler introduction to modded Minecraft is something like Break Out.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
So i have a Direwolf20 1.65 mod pack server, would anyone be interested in me posting a link to it?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Scarecow posted:

So i have a Direwolf20 1.65 mod pack server, would anyone be interested in me posting a link to it?

I would post it in Private Game Servers and link to that.
Unless it is an open server.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

FTB Interactions is based around a version of the GregTech mod, which is notorious for its difficulty and grind. It's sort of like Angel/Bob's for Factorio.

A gentler introduction to modded Minecraft is something like Break Out.

Thanks for this reccomendation! This has been workign really well. just started sieving some poo poo lets goooo

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

queeb posted:

FTB:Interactions is tied in with a ton of other mods, including hardcore/high difficulty stuff, and even though it's built on the Gregtech mod at its core, much of Gregtech's tech tree has been rewritten in that pack to be gated by other mods, like having to do various magical prereqs before you can make a given processor or machine.
If you're coming off Factorio, Omnifactory would be a much more straightforward and familiar experience, which I highly recommend, as it's both robust and has tons of quests and guidance to get you through it. It's much more focused on perpetual automation and getting there early to create self sufficient factories.

That said, as has already been pointed out, neither is a very good intro to modded Minecraft in general, largely because they require a lot of interim crafting and some familiarity with involved systems. But they might be worth working up to down the line.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
ugh, the last bit of the orefinder screen is getting cut off, so I don't know what color zinc is and I need it for brass.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Ok I've made a post in Private Game Servers about the Direwolf20 mod pack server I have going

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3966141

anyones welcome so long as your chill

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
great, now two of my brick blast furnaces have stopped working despite there being nothing wrong. I cleared them of ashes, they have enough coal coke and iron, but the progress bar has stopped moving and the fire has gone out.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mycroft Holmes posted:

great, now two of my brick blast furnaces have stopped working despite there being nothing wrong. I cleared them of ashes, they have enough coal coke and iron, but the progress bar has stopped moving and the fire has gone out.

Do they cross chunk boundaries? Have you tried taking the materials out and putting them back in again? Reforming the structure by taking a brick out?
Do you have enough warp that Warp Theory is placing blocks in random locations?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's probably the furnace being across chunk boundaries. I had the same thing happen to me. Also, zinc is a very light tan, almost white but not quite. I don't think you can find the ore blocks for it yet, just as a byproduct.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Mycroft Holmes posted:

ugh, the last bit of the orefinder screen is getting cut off, so I don't know what color zinc is and I need it for brass.

Zinc is from Sphalerite. It's a tertiary ore spawn in Sulfur veins in the Nether. Pulverize the ore, hammer it, wash it, then either smelt directly for zinc ingots or process otherwise (centrifuge, I think) for zinc, sulfur, and 25% small gallium.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

You'll need a little bit of gallium for quests so you should definitely centrifuge some of it.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man, 1.12 modded minecraft just looks so much cooler than the current version.

im trying out a few other mods now too, like ftb academy and stuff just to get a feel for all the different mods.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
In our GT:NH game, I suddenly had water blocks disappearing, netherrack disappeared, cobblestone turning to gravel, gravel to sand, sand to nothing, and lava to cobble. I thought it was some crazy warp effect but I don't see such listed in Thaumcraft nor the extra warps mod the pack has. Pollution sounded similar. I measured something like 400,000 gibbl which seems to be too low for sour/acid rain or whatever. It eventually stopped when I went a hundred blocks out and back. What the heck could that have been?

Edit: I guess it is some Gregtech effect. I also expect McFrugal to come smashing into the wall to vent on this particular topic. I didn't even know it was a thing going on since I don't remember seeing a prompt for it like the other effects that come up.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 27, 2021

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I mean theres a reason that in spite of enjoying a good Bobangels run inFactorio, I cannot get into GurgTechNH and have basically givenup playing on our server of it.

Just loving absurb levels of bs invjuggling.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

In our GT:NH game, I suddenly had water blocks disappearing, netherrack disappeared, cobblestone turning to gravel, gravel to sand, sand to nothing, and lava to cobble. I thought it was some crazy warp effect but I don't see such listed in Thaumcraft nor the extra warps mod the pack has. Pollution sounded similar. I measured something like 400,000 gibbl which seems to be too low for sour/acid rain or whatever. It eventually stopped when I went a hundred blocks out and back. What the heck could that have been?

Edit: I guess it is some Gregtech effect. I also expect McFrugal to come smashing into the wall to vent on this particular topic. I didn't even know it was a thing going on since I don't remember seeing a prompt for it like the other effects that come up.

How high is your warp? If you have 50 Warp that's high enough for the Decay effect, which does everything you described as well as destroying plant life. Acceleration does something like a reverse of that?

Warp Theory is absolutely the worst part about GTNH. You have to avoid warp as much as humanly possible until you reach like IV or something where you have enough tech to make the items which remove permanent warp. If your warp gets too high before then, you're going to have to get some form of autocrafting purifying salts, because otherwise your base starts getting destroyed by things like Decay or worse.

Warp Theory is one of the worst minecraft mods in existence. You know how in TC4 it was eventually updated so that warp effects stop occurring if you don't do anything warp-related? Warp Theory never changed to match that behavior, and almost all of its effects are far worse than vanilla warp effects. Like five or six of them have the potential for you to grief other players just by standing near them. Like, by summoning Withers, or destroying blocks, or placing blocks randomly (the Swamp effect does this), or scrambling chests...

In short, just edit the config and set this line:
code:
    B:addWarpEffects=false

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 27, 2021

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I found the config. I don't want to just disable everything. Well, I really like my lonely creepers. They're very cute.

Is there anything typical in 1.7.10 for detecting if an item is damaged? I'd like to outright trash anything that's damaged but I can't think of anything in the normal ecosystem. I also don't think Integrated Dynamics ever was made for 1.7.10. If it was, it certainly isn't in GT:NH.

Edit: I guess OpenComputers has something, but I haven't really looked into it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Is it even possible to get the most recent modpack files for FTB packs without using their lovely launcher? It's got loving ads in it, on top of being in bed with Overwolf. I'm not using that poo poo.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I found the config. I don't want to just disable everything. Well, I really like my lonely creepers. They're very cute.

Is there anything typical in 1.7.10 for detecting if an item is damaged? I'd like to outright trash anything that's damaged but I can't think of anything in the normal ecosystem. I also don't think Integrated Dynamics ever was made for 1.7.10. If it was, it certainly isn't in GT:NH.

Edit: I guess OpenComputers has something, but I haven't really looked into it.

Pretty sure EnderIO conduits can check metadata like damaged/undamaged.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

McFrugal posted:

Is it even possible to get the most recent modpack files for FTB packs without using their lovely launcher? It's got loving ads in it, on top of being in bed with Overwolf. I'm not using that poo poo.

MultiMC got an update to support FTB packs but I haven't actually tried using it myself.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Specifically the MultiMC dev edition does FTB.
Not sure if regular version does yet.
Though it can still be finicky.
Took me like 6 tries to get the latest DW20 for 1.16.
Finally I tried renaming rather than leaving it as it was and then it finally worked.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ah that must be recent. GDLauncher is ahead of the game I guess.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

guys i decided to just jump into omnifactory. i hav eno idea what im doing but i made a steam engine and some storage drawers!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Welcome to the nightmare, enjoy your stay.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I do like that when i smash 2 entire ingots gother to make a plate, and then cut it with wire cutters i get 1 wire... like.. just one? from 2 entire ingots?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

queeb posted:

I do like that when i smash 2 entire ingots gother to make a plate, and then cut it with wire cutters i get 1 wire... like.. just one? from 2 entire ingots?

The first machines you make are ones that vastly reduce the material costs for the various microcrafting items.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

queeb posted:

its a thick wire

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

queeb posted:

The rest of the metal is ruined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

queeb posted:

Gurg