Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

falz posted:

You don't need a land line but do need standard telephone wiring in your house.

https://falz.net/wiki/Rotary_Phone_POTS_VoIP_Line

Nice, bookmarked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

falz posted:

I guess I didn't fully do all outlets, mostly switches. Still have to do power, most of those are on a switch with 3 wires so it's been low on list.

For non power stuff I have a few coax and rj45 jacks, I did decora sized keystone plates where you can snap in the type you need.

Also yes kitchen! I never really posted final stuff. Well I have one minor thing left to do out of frame but here's a photo right now. I love that phone and need to move it to a more logical spot. It *does* work fine with an ATA to VOIP adapter so it's a fun thing whenever someone sees it and wants to try it out.

Opinions from the few that have been here are moderately polarized on the pendants and lower cabinets colours but I like it so.. also I can't figure out where to put that painting so it's in a weird spot atm..

looks good, for the picture I would move it a foot or so to the right so that it's centered with respect to the countertop that's coming out. If possible I would then move the phone perhaps to the location marked. I think the color/design of the pendants is fine - it's a shape that you don't have anywhere else which is always good. I'm guessing that's a Kraus faucet? I have the same one in a different color. It adds a bit of industrial to the room which is cool (i.e the exposed rubber tubing). Also what paint is that? I'm sure my guess (blue with green undertone) is wrong

edit: attachments seem to not be working atm

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 25, 2021

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

How does one fix this, dig it out and repour? It's kinda hard to tell from the photo but that cracked section is coming upwards.

Note that this is the only portion of both the garage and driveway slab that have any issue at all. It seems like over ~18 years stuff has just grown up under it and cracked it all up. Or something else, I dunno.

Also, the damp threshold is because it was just pouring out and that was the last spot to dry, I don't really have water/drainage issues here that I'm aware of.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm curious if they just didn't pour that apron thick enough. Seems like an odd place to crack if it's part of the garage floor slab, which I think it might be? Or maybe that line that looks like it was left from the garage door is actually a pour line and someone already tried to fix this/didn't do it right.

But yeah, that's gotta come out. I can get over the impression that it's very thin. Maybe the apron was sloped down when the garage floor was poured and then when that driveway slab was put in they just dropped some crete on there without proper preparation or depth to bring it to match the grade of the driveway?

Can you pick some of the pieces out and see what you find?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

eddiewalker posted:

You could get one of these to do a home intercom with old phone handsets.

https://www.vikingelectronics.com/products/dle-200b/

I’m considering one between my kitchen and the detached shop. You just pick up one phone and the other(s) start ringing until answered.

Moe's Tavern!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
We put in an offer $110,000 over asking price and are still really worried we won’t win it.

On a reasonably-sized house outside of KC.

This market, lmao.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
My parents sold their house when they retired 2 years ago, and moved into their little vacation cottage to save some money while they looked for a place to retire to. I think they're going to be stuck in that little cottage for a while.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Oops wrong home thread

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 25, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Home Zone: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UAHZAM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FWRKT4455DCT1VCNNB8E

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have this exact tester and have not tazed my own balls

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I have this exact tester and have not tazed my own balls

It’s $20 to make sure you don’t grab a live conductor when you stick your hands in a box. Everyone who owns a house anywhere should have one, and use it any time they do anything more invasive than flicking a wall switch.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MrYenko posted:

It’s $20 to make sure you don’t grab a live conductor when you stick your hands in a box. Everyone who owns a house anywhere should have one, and use it any time they do anything more invasive than flicking a wall switch.

This can't be stated enough

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I finished all my decora poo poo, and yeah got a voltage tester. Did 10 switches, including a pair of three-way switches which took a bit to figure out. The worst part is the double plates, where you have to make sure both switches have

a) the correct depth to be flush
b) both level
c) both the correct distance from each other to work well with the wall plate
d) both approximately the same height

if the screw holes for the two sides aren't in the same positions, it's pretty annoying

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

actionjackson posted:

The worst part is the double plates, where you have to make sure both switches have

b) both level

if the screw holes for the two sides aren't in the same positions, it's pretty annoying

I have two quadruple plates and one triple plate to replace with paddle switches and this is why I’ve been dragging my feet for 4 months

Plus a couple of the switches are 4-ways

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

I always post this process when the subject of electrical testers comes up because if you're not taught it, you don't know it:

1) Check tester on "known live" wire/outlet to make sure it lights up (or dings or gently strokes your hair or whatever the hell it does when electricity is present)
2) Use tester to verify that the wire/whatever you want to touch with your grubby dorito-crusted goon hands is de-energized
3) Check the tester AGAIN on a "known live" wire/outlet to make sure it still lights up
4) Fondle wires at will (probably stick to the ones you know are de-energized but hey I'm not your boss or anything)

Anything less and you WILL electrocute yourself. This is basic electrical safety; you need to make sure it's properly detecting live wires before using it, and you need to make sure it didn't break sometime during use.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

Anything less and you WILL electrocute yourself. This is basic electrical safety; you need to make sure it's properly detecting live wires before using it, and you need to make sure it didn't break sometime during use.

My Fluke still makes me jump when it (in my pocket) alerts that it's turning off from inactivity. I'm still checking that that thing is actually on before I use it on something that I really really need to be off.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Motronic posted:

I'm curious if they just didn't pour that apron thick enough. Seems like an odd place to crack if it's part of the garage floor slab, which I think it might be? Or maybe that line that looks like it was left from the garage door is actually a pour line and someone already tried to fix this/didn't do it right.

But yeah, that's gotta come out. I can get over the impression that it's very thin. Maybe the apron was sloped down when the garage floor was poured and then when that driveway slab was put in they just dropped some crete on there without proper preparation or depth to bring it to match the grade of the driveway?

Can you pick some of the pieces out and see what you find?

Thanks. I'm not there at the moment but some of those pieces are hand loose, I pulled one out and it couldn't have been more than 1.5", 2" thick max. I think it was dirt under that, I'll go digging around to be sure. Sounds like it'll have to be hammered out and dug to a proper depth.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

A voltage tester was one of the very first things we bought upon taking possession of our house.

We have one of these, a Betamax-esque losing format of American electrical outlets, in our foyer:

...and we learned that it's live and functioning correctly. We just don't have anything to plug into it and also haven't had a pressing need to update it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Queen Victorian posted:

A voltage tester was one of the very first things we bought upon taking possession of our house.

We have one of these, a Betamax-esque losing format of American electrical outlets, in our foyer:

...and we learned that it's live and functioning correctly. We just don't have anything to plug into it and also haven't had a pressing need to update it.

Someone unplugged the telescope? Gunna need a real long hanger or something to reach the cord now I'm sure.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have paint from the original owners that says "door and trim" so I touched up the trim, and the door frame, and it matches, but then I tried touching up the door itself and it's too white! Maybe the "door" part of "door and trim" just means the door frame? If so I'm going to have to figure out how to match the door, as there's no way I'm going to repaint the whole thing. I guess I could take the door to the HVAC room (same paint), and take a little sample off the back of it and match it. The doors aren't close enough to the window to get enough natural light where color match stuff will work.

Alternatively my interior designer probably has one of those SW things that you put up to the surface and matches, which are pretty cool.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Queen Victorian posted:

I am absolutely the kind of person who would track down a plug and then have the one lamp that uses it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Infinotize posted:

Thanks. I'm not there at the moment but some of those pieces are hand loose, I pulled one out and it couldn't have been more than 1.5", 2" thick max. I think it was dirt under that, I'll go digging around to be sure. Sounds like it'll have to be hammered out and dug to a proper depth.

1.5"/2" all the way out at the end of a slab like that seems like much too little for a garage to me.

There's probably no rebar/wire-mesh in there either based on how it's cracked, which it's gonna need. I'd need to see it to suggest if it should be tied in with the garage slab or not.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
In addition to a non-contact tester, I picked up one of these when we bought our new place. Our home inspector had one in hand when doing his thing, and it looked useful to have one laying around.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My inspector recommended a contact voltage tester as well for our older home. He said it can be good for detecting messed up ground situations - touch one lead to the live plug and another to the screw on the plate or the box itself.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

The Science Goy posted:

In addition to a non-contact tester, I picked up one of these when we bought our new place. Our home inspector had one in hand when doing his thing, and it looked useful to have one laying around.

I recommend going a step further and picking up a combo unit with a breakerfinder as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QNMCVWP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's great when you need to find which breaker controls an outlet.

Plus you can pretend it's a phaser

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Seriously?!? At least it’s an easy fix and we wanted to replace them with rubbed oil bronze fixtures anyways but cmon.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I love the phone. Part of me nostalgically wants to put an old phone somewhere in my house...but I don’t have a landline. I have this old Socotel one that was in my French grandparents’ home office:

I'm still on DSL because there are no good options for high speed internet in my neighborhood, and years ago I bought an Automatic Electric AE80, which is a big chunk of a phone with bells so loud that even at the lowest volume they're still a bit startling. It came upgraded for RJ11 and the sound quality is excellent. The phone will definitely outlast me.

TRIVIA: When the U.S. made its first area codes they wanted them to be quick to dial for people in the most heavily populated areas, so that's why 212 and 213 went to N.Y. and L.A.: because they could be dialed quickly on a rotary phone. Big loser? Alaska, with 907.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

SpartanIvy posted:

I recommend going a step further and picking up a combo unit with a breakerfinder as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QNMCVWP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

whaaaaaaat :aaaaa:

That's brilliant, we just discovered a mislabeled breaker so I wanted to check them all, but understandably was not looking forward to the task. Forty bucks well spent for the peace of mind and for the reduction of cursing next time I need to kill power somewhere.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

Holy. Crap. I had no idea these had gotten down into this price range.

ORDERED. Thank you!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Regardless of anything else in that kitchen, please replace those soft white bulbs with some bright whites, maybe in the 4-5K range?

Edit: At least for the under-counter and overhead light (which is might already be it's off in the pic, so can't tell.) The pendants I suppose can stay a soft white for some less harsh evening lighting over the "breakfast counter", as it were.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I found an old one at a thrift store and just hung it on a wall in my office.

I ripped out all the rj11 and coax when I moved in, it felt great.

I've got this in my basement and I'm not sure it's worth the $2/mo to get it working again, but it's also kinda neat.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

All this chat reminded me of how regular wire tracers suddenly got relabeled as "robot mower boundary wire break locator" and sold with a 100-200% markup. You want a regular wire tracer? That's like $20 here. You want the Husqvarna Automower Break Tracer that somehow looks 110% identical? Yeah, fifty bucks.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thank god my local hardware store referred me to a guy who said he could stop by tomorrow and analyze the paint on my door with one of those fancy tools

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/painting-contractors/products/colorsnap-match

otherwise I'd probably have to paint the door.. which would lead to painting the trim to match... which would lead to painting the other doors... ugh

this guy said I could just pay him whatever I felt like!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

actionjackson posted:

thank god my local hardware store referred me to a guy who said he could stop by tomorrow and analyze the paint on my door with one of those fancy tools

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/painting-contractors/products/colorsnap-match

otherwise I'd probably have to paint the door.. which would lead to painting the trim to match... which would lead to painting the other doors... ugh

this guy said I could just pay him whatever I felt like!

I'd be curious how that works out. I replaced by boob light with a ceiling fan I stole from my living room (where I have new fan) and have this loving thing.

And I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what paint color this is. I assumed it was some sort of behr as that's what the other paint in the house was, but nothing matches.

nm fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 26, 2021

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

actionjackson posted:

I finished all my decora poo poo, and yeah got a voltage tester. Did 10 switches, including a pair of three-way switches which took a bit to figure out. The worst part is the double plates, where you have to make sure both switches have

b) both level

I'm midway through this (30 switches, 40 outlets done so far, far too many to go) and you're right, centering the multiple outlet plates are the worst. That and just working with 40-year-old thick AF copper wire that doesn't bend well.

I also had to learn the 4-way setup and I'll explicitly state it for anyone else:

A 3-way (2 switch) setup is 2 3-way switches with a traveler.
A 4-way (3 switch) setup is NOT 3 4-way switches. It is 2 3-way switches and 1 4-way switch with two travelers.

Man, I should have bought one of those breaker finders. I almost bought one but some reviews scared me off.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I have some windows that let in direct sunlight onto my bookshelves for a few hours a day now that the tree in the front yard is gone, and I'm thinking about getting some UV film professionally installed.

Is there a specific amount that's "good enough" for protecting books and other objects inside the home from fading, and is there any other practical information I should know?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

nm posted:

I'd be curious how that works out. I replaced by boob light with a ceiling fan I stole from my living room (where I have new fan) and have this loving thing.

And I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what paint color this is. I assumed it was some sort of behr as that's what the other paint in the house was, but nothing matches.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Portfolio-...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yeah definitely do the medallion, especially if you don't know what the white ceiling paint is. If you do want to match it, you could try removing a piece and bringing it to a paint store, but I have no idea how well that works with ceilings.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If you don't know the exact brand and code for paint, the best results will be to paint the whole thing from a known paint source. I'll be interested in seeing how the fancy pants paint scanner man's result matches up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Because wood is too expensive to buy I decided to buy a bunch of lights and mud and paint to redo a room instead of building the new barn. I'm in the final stretch after about a month. 2 hours of taping (90 yards of tape) and 2.5 hours of cutting in today. At least painting the field should be easy.