Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
I'm feeling dumb because I'm having a hard time googling this, particularly because I don't know a better name for these beyond "hot shoe mount/bracket" thingy.

Basically, does anything like this exist but with the hot shoe circuitry actually passed through so that it's possible to use a normal flash along with the additional accessories? The shape or style doesn't really matter, I just want to be able to put a flash + accessories on my camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think you’d probably need to get an off camera cord for your strobe and put it on the dumb bracket. Alternatively, you could get a cage that doesn’t cover the main hotshoe so you can put the flash there and use the other mounts for whatever.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

powderific posted:

I think you’d probably need to get an off camera cord for your strobe and put it on the dumb bracket. Alternatively, you could get a cage that doesn’t cover the main hotshoe so you can put the flash there and use the other mounts for whatever.

I was going to suggest the second option. SmallRig makes some great cages for all manner of DSLR/mirrorless cameras, and I think almost every one leaves space around the hotshoe mount and includes a little coldshoe mount somewhere on the cage. Plus they're practically perforated with 1/4" holes to mount whatever you want. I haven't used mine in ages but if I ever need a spot for my shotgun mic, Rotolight and Atomos monitor, it's all there.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
Ohhh, a cage is a good idea. I forgot those existed and didn't really know what they were called. Thanks, I'll look into some of them.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does anybody have the Fujinon XF27mmF2.8 R WR "pancacke X mount lens, MK2" in stock ready to ship, new

amazon, b&h, adorama are all out of stock

Also, we have a nikon thread, nikon*, is is there a dedicated Fuji thread somewhere I missed?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I think Fuji stuff gets lumped into the mirrorless thread. Ditto Sony.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

I wish I understood this image, if only because somebody apparently remembered that Pentax exists.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh hey, you can attach files using the mobile app. gently caress you imgur for disabling web upload without an app, let's see if this works

In other news, the best man at my wedding bought a Pentax 645 as a cheaper alternative to the fuji gfx, let's see if I can attach that too. Here's a pentax M4/3 next to the equivalent 945 medium format lens, and also a "banana for scale", if it works

Edit, gently caress

edit 2:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 21, 2021

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

that thing is enormous, good god.

and yeah the Fuji chat is definitely in the Mirrorless thread. Goon speed finding a 27 mk2, I think Fujirumors posted about them getting in stock only last week. so likely to be rough for a little while.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

harperdc posted:

Goon speed finding a 27 mk2, I think Fujirumors posted about them getting in stock only last week. so likely to be rough for a little while.

Yep, the one I pre-ordered didn't show up until last week and the release date was originally 3/14 I believe. Seems like they're having trouble meeting demand atm.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I don't know where else to ask this. I'm not really a photographer but I need a new camera in the $300 range to replace my Sony a6000 for recording self-tape videos and taking basic entry-level press photos. And I need it to:

-Be able to record video while charging
-Have a standard microphone input (not some proprietary thing)
-Preferably be able to be used as a webcamera if possible
-Shoot video in 1080p minimum

Any recommendations or can you point me in the right direction where else to ask?

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
A used a6000 body costs more than $300, I'm not sure if you are going to get much of an upgrade as far as interchangeable lens cameras go. There are small sensor cameras in the price range, but depending on your needs a smart phone may be a better choice.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Fools Infinite posted:

A used a6000 body costs more than $300, I'm not sure if you are going to get much of an upgrade as far as interchangeable lens cameras go. There are small sensor cameras in the price range, but depending on your needs a smart phone may be a better choice.

Okay, well, forget the cost range for a moment. What would be, like, on the same level as the a6000 but has those features I mentioned? I just want to sell off my a6000 because it doesn't do any of those things and it's annoying. I just want to get something comparable that does.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I believe the a6100 can be powered over usb, has microphone input, is compatible with sony's webcam app, shoots 4k video, and has much better autofocus. I had trouble finding good information on the topic of usb charging, some cameras will partially charge over usb while recording but still run the battery down eventually.

Another thing to consider is that you can also get dummy batteries to power most cameras if another option isn't available, and if it can output a clean signal over hdmi you can get a usb capture device to use it as a webcam.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Fools Infinite posted:

Another thing to consider is that you can also get dummy batteries to power most cameras if another option isn't available, and if it can output a clean signal over hdmi you can get a usb capture device to use it as a webcam.

Holy poo poo, the dummy battery is such a simple solution to half my frustrations and I had no idea it existed. Thank you.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Has anyone else noticed that a bunch of cameras for sale on Etsy are listed at fairly insanely cheap prices? One example, I just searched ‘Nikon Z7’ and there are five different listings for supposedly perfectly good bodies for $1K or less.

I’ve never thought of it as a place to by anything beyond artsy doodads. Are their buyer protections really poo poo or something, so people are offloading broken cameras in these listings, or maybe they’re just pure scams where no item is ever even sent?

My heart wants to say it’s trust fund art students trying to make a quick buck and not bothering to research the value of what they’re selling, but my gut says there’s no way. Still, if it’s the former, holy poo poo.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I'd guess that five listings from people who have never sold anything and have else for sale are not just pricing errors.

If you want a high risk option for a half price camera you could just bet half the cost on black.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
It seems like no online vendors/marketplaces stick with one model nowadays. I expect Adorama to start offering grocery delivery any day now.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know anything about Etsy buyer protections but those listings all scream scam where you get nothing to me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Please don’t give scammers your money.

Send it to me instead.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

A few related questions after being away from photography for quite awhile:

- I've got a Mamiya 7 + 80mm in really nice condition, and I just can't bond with the rangefinder style of shooting, so it's getting sold. The price on these is astronomical now. How do I go about selling this and minimizing my chance of getting screwed?
- The first camera I ever fell in love with was my original Fuji x100, so I'm going to get another one. Any reason I wouldn't go for the x100V? Anything interesting coming up in the fixed lens mirrorless market?
- I do still like MF/LF film, but I'm increasingly having a hard time finding gear that works. I've about given up on finding a Pentax 67 that isn't garbage. Thinking of trying a Nikkor 90mm with some sort of 6x12 back. What are the good options here? Did any of those Kickstarter (Travelwide, etc.) actually make anything good?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Do people have recos for messenger bags that have lots of small pockets, a medium sized camera area, with a dedicated 13" laptop sleeve?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Ziploc posted:

Do people have recos for messenger bags that have lots of small pockets, a medium sized camera area, with a dedicated 13" laptop sleeve?

Not 100% sure if it fits 13" but I have the Peak Design Everyday Messenger* and did, in fact, use it every day until the pandemic trapped me inside forever.

* edit: v1, v2 is apparently terrible (see below)

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 26, 2021

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Helicity posted:

- I've got a Mamiya 7 + 80mm in really nice condition, and I just can't bond with the rangefinder style of shooting, so it's getting sold. The price on these is astronomical now. How do I go about selling this and minimizing my chance of getting screwed?

I've been selling some film gear lately and I aim to sell locally through craigslist or some other group, for straight up cash. Film cameras are kind of finicky and I am always a little wary of shipping them. First time I ever bought a film camera, I got it through Japan, when it came the shutter jammed on exactly the second shot, so I don't buy cameras from Japan anymore. So I'm a little paranoid I'll ship something out and the other guy will get something damaged and freak out, even if I know it worked on my end. If it's local, they can see that everything works as expected, and check everything else out right there with you.

But depending on where you are the market might not be very large, even if it's a Mamiya 7. So on the other hand, I've sold some stuff through online forums, I've actually done some purchases/sales through r/photomarket. It's a little easier to reach out to people and I can look at people's post histories to see if they're actually real or not. Just sticking to Paypal G+S (and as a seller I always generate an invoice) so there is some degree of buyer protection, if you find someone who wants to pay you in friends+family they're insane since there's no protections there whatsoever for them.

Other than that you've got eBay and other sales websites, those obviously take a higher cut and are still very buyer favored. I don't have any eBay selling experience so someone else can chime in on that, but it's got strong buyer protections.

And then you've got some places like KEH which will grade and buy your camera to resell on their own. But even with any discounts they offer you, you are going to get a low offer from them.

I think no matter what when you sell, take a lot of pictures of it and document any issues. Run a test roll through it first so you know everything is working great, get the negatives back uncut so you can see if there are issues like spacing issues or light leaks you've got to worry about as well (and use a good lab so they don't gently caress up your negatives and make you think you've got a camera issue too)

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Helicity posted:

Do you by any chance have an account over on fredmiranda? Aside from KEH (they will lowball you), I would try Catlabs, but I have never dealt with them. MPB does not buy film gear.

Helicity posted:

Thinking of trying a Nikkor 90mm with some sort of 6x12 back. What are the good options here? Did any of those Kickstarter (Travelwide, etc.) actually make anything good?

Ziggy Smalls recently built a 6x12 and posted about it here. The only reason I haven't gone that route is because I would like to play with a couple of lenses (up to ~300 mm) and lens cones get expensive. I'm thinking about buying 4x5 and a 6x12 back ... maybe next year.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

gschmidl posted:

Not 100% sure if it fits 13" but I have the Peak Design Everyday Messenger and did, in fact, use it every day until the pandemic trapped me inside forever.

lol rip I was hoping for alternatives to that. They really hosed up the new one. The old one was super cool with loads of features. The new one (13L) is missing so many features when compared to the old one (13inch)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have a Tenba DNA 15 Slim that I really like, I know they make 13” bags too.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Ziploc posted:

lol rip I was hoping for alternatives to that. They really hosed up the new one. The old one was super cool with loads of features. The new one (13L) is missing so many features when compared to the old one (13inch)

Oof, that bad, huh. That's a real shame.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

gschmidl posted:

Oof, that bad, huh. That's a real shame.

No more multi point waist strap, no more laptop zipper. Also no more main compartment zipper, which was a second way into the main compartment other than opening the main flap. Also less front pockets in the front compartment and no more side pockets. But... that's progress somehow?

Old and good:

New and meh:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Ziploc posted:

No more multi point waist strap, no more laptop zipper. Also no more main compartment zipper, which was a second way into the main compartment other than opening the main flap. Also less front pockets in the front compartment and no more side pockets. But... that's progress somehow?

Ok, yeah, that is bad. Wonder if they took a loss on the original design. Edited a warning into my intitial reply, thanks!

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 26, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Simplest explanation is it saves them money on manufacturing and parts. Or maybe they did a "study" and found that a majority of customers don't like/use those features.

The upside is the bag market is so comically huge there's almost certainly one that has those features still in production. It might be from a knockoff factory in China but it's out there.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That PD update looks more like a PD knockoff than most PD knockoffs do.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

My favorite thing about my Peak Design bag [the old sling] was how much resale value it retained. It wasn't awful but such an awkward shape, poorly placed zipper, etc., I replaced it with a Chrome Niko Sling [by way of a Hex Ranger] as my small bag and love it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I love my PD sling and the only negative I have against it is that with just my A7iii and 24-105 and gorillapod it's enough that the strap eats into my shoulder after an hour or two of walking, and when I was on vacation with my big Nikon DSLR and fat 80-200 2.8 AND iPad AND batteries AND wifi hotspot it was basically murder. I solved that with one of those velcro gel wraps you can get to relieve pressure points that I picked up at a Tokyo department store and it seemed to do the trick.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Helicity posted:

I on the other hand love rangefinder style cameras.
Sell it to me, in Canada.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

bobmarleysghost posted:

I on the other hand love rangefinder style cameras.
Sell it to me, in Canada.

I love Canadians, so I'll post in Buy/Sell as soon as the family gives me a few minutes to take pictures.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Hi I've literally never posted in this sub before!

I have a Canon EOS 20D that I got used for $200ish Some Years ago. I like to mess around with it and muck with taking "real" photos even though I use my cellphone as a camera 90% of the time.

If I was going to ditch the 20D for something that's maybe, now, in that same 200ish price range (used, though used through somewhere like B&H would be preferred, that's where this one came from), what are my best options?

Compatibility with my existing 20D lenses would be a plus but not a hard req. Thanks!!

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I have a Canon EOS 20D that I got used for $200ish Some Years ago. I like to mess around with it and muck with taking "real" photos even though I use my cellphone as a camera 90% of the time.

If I was going to ditch the 20D for something that's maybe, now, in that same 200ish price range (used, though used through somewhere like B&H would be preferred, that's where this one came from), what are my best options?

Compatibility with my existing 20D lenses would be a plus but not a hard req. Thanks!!

Hard to find something in that price range; there's almost diminishing returns on used cameras once you go back so many generations. I think a 7D (mark I) would be a pretty significant upgrade, though, although that's closer to like $330 on B&H.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

dakana posted:

Hard to find something in that price range; there's almost diminishing returns on used cameras once you go back so many generations. I think a 7D (mark I) would be a pretty significant upgrade, though, although that's closer to like $330 on B&H.

Yeah, the $300-400 dollar range has a lot more options. Entry level dslrs with kit lenses will go for $400 around the holidays. Canon has refurbished T7 kit listed on their site for $320, no idea if they'll ever get stock again though. There is a kind of price bottom around where anything cheaper will probably not be a good value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Maybe look at a used 70D? this is a little over your price range but I think it would be a big enough jump to make it worth the upgrade.