Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I usually design to consume all of my output, and split so that consumption is slowed while storage is filling. I don't like the designs where input backs up if storage is full. I never want to see an idle miner.

I just kinda trust that as long as ore is flowing, my factory is doing something with it. I really do not think about splitter ratios at all. I just tally my production and my consumption and make sure my belts can handle the throughput.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm even more basic than that, if I'm doing a run through my factory and notice a backed up or starved belt I start a project to either use more resources or generate more. I will do the ratios for single product installations, like screws feeding into a single computer assembler, but only far enough to address whatever the immediate need is.

Certain basic stuff I don't care if it's backed up, like iron plates or steel beams or whatever. As long as it keeps higher tier assemblies going I'm happy.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
How do people approach sending items via train from one factory to multiple other factories? Do you set up multiple outbound stations? Multiple freight cars on one train that services multiple stops (by staggering one with an empty platform)? Or just the one freight car and trust that the first stop will fill up and the rest will move on to the second destination?

Mainly I'm trying to avoid tearing up train stations, which by and large I set up as one freight car per station for ease of use.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hemish posted:

I'm sorry for asking so many questions in this thread, hopefully it can help other people who were to shy to ask these dumb questions.

I didn't find any but is there an online/offline tool to plan a factory floor where you could take a Constructor and plop it down and it uses the correct amount of squares from the layout? Like using grid paper but not having to know by heart how many squares each machine would be.

I use diagrams.net, an open-source diagram drawing thing that can run as a webapp in your browser or as a desktop app.

I don't know if this will work, but you should be able to save this image and then open it with the app, it's got the diagram info embedded into image metadata. Depends if the forum allows attaching a png without stripping metadata (imgur strips so it doesn't work there). This is my template of buildings and stuff, sized to the grid being 1 foundation on the strong lines.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
^^ Yes it works!

Ben Nerevarine posted:

How do people approach sending items via train from one factory to multiple other factories? Do you set up multiple outbound stations? Multiple freight cars on one train that services multiple stops (by staggering one with an empty platform)? Or just the one freight car and trust that the first stop will fill up and the rest will move on to the second destination?

Mainly I'm trying to avoid tearing up train stations, which by and large I set up as one freight car per station for ease of use.

Yeah I'd say you gotta use trains like a train, have multiple cars and bigger stations. A station with a single-car train is like, yeah I'll do that for dedicated deliveries (ex compact coal to my turbofuel plant). But drones now do the 1-to-1 delivery better than trains.

The larger organization is a loving puzzle though. You can empty platforms to bypass delivery, and also trains with an extra engine or a car of the wrong type (fluid where the station wants dry) to block pickups of the wrong type.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 23, 2021

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Gadzuko posted:

Instead of merging the 2 20/min outputs, split them so you have 4 belts of 10/min, merge 3 of those to get a 30/min and run that into the assembler then run the last 10 into the storage.

Even this is overthinking. Put a splitter on the outlet of one refinery and a merger at the other. One output belt from the splitter goes to the merger, giving you a 30/min belt. The other 10 goes out of the splitter. No need for smart splitters or overflow.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That’s wild I honestly never realized that manufacturers were that squarish, I always thought of them as being a lot longer in the direction of flow.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In expanding my central warehouse, I'm setting up some belts and containers to hold consumable stuff. Food items, ammo, filters, etc. I noticed something with food items on belts though

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Leal posted:

In expanding my central warehouse, I'm setting up some belts and containers to hold consumable stuff. Food items, ammo, filters, etc. I noticed something with food items on belts though

Yeah, a lot of the non-automated items don't have textures for sitting out on a belt. Last I checked even the portable miner doesn't, and they gave that an automated recipe in update 4.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Klyith posted:

I use diagrams.net, an open-source diagram drawing thing that can run as a webapp in your browser or as a desktop app.

I don't know if this will work, but you should be able to save this image and then open it with the app, it's got the diagram info embedded into image metadata. Depends if the forum allows attaching a png without stripping metadata (imgur strips so it doesn't work there). This is my template of buildings and stuff, sized to the grid being 1 foundation on the strong lines.

Thank you for this. Note sure how to get the square layout on a new file to start my own stuff but I'll study the desktop app this weekend to figure it out!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a way to specify a drone trip as pick up/drop off only? I wish the drone system was a tad more fleshed out. I don't necessarily need automated delivery like Factorio but I would like to be able to specify what I want the drone to do on each leg of the trip. I think I'm trying to overcomplicate things by using the same drone port for a few different things and it's really not working out.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

explosivo posted:

Is there a way to specify a drone trip as pick up/drop off only? I wish the drone system was a tad more fleshed out. I don't necessarily need automated delivery like Factorio but I would like to be able to specify what I want the drone to do on each leg of the trip. I think I'm trying to overcomplicate things by using the same drone port for a few different things and it's really not working out.

A rule I use which has worked out so far is that you only want to put your drones on the demand side of things. If you have a building which makes circuit boards and loads them into a drone port, leave the port empty so that whichever factory elsewhere in the world requiring circuit boards can send a drone out for the round trip when necessary.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Finally, my brother and I have hit drones

LET'S loving

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :byodood:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Playing again and I'm a long way from transit tubes, so: the devs didn't fix the physics and break the Yeet Cannon, did they? :ohdear:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

Playing again and I'm a long way from transit tubes, so: the devs didn't fix the physics and break the Yeet Cannon, did they? :ohdear:
Nope, it works for me. You still only take damage on the vertical direction.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
God drat hoverpacks own so much. I'm just going around running wires all over the place and hunting for slugs and crash sites. Flying seems to also extend your interact range so you can grab slugs from just outside of poison gas, or without risking getting hit by non spitter enemies.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm finding the zipline tool kind of a disappointment, save for helping reduce Foundation Spam for climbing hills early-game :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ciaphas posted:

I'm finding the zipline tool kind of a disappointment, save for helping reduce Foundation Spam for climbing hills early-game :v:

It's one of those tools that's better the rougher the terrain your base is set up on. Over flat terrain it's rather mediocre but if, like me, you set up on the northern edge of the forest it's super convenient because I have a power line down over a gorge and down several cliffs that lets me straight up ignore the terrain as I go check on my coal power plant in the coal-filled lowlands area on the eastern edge of the rocky desert.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ciaphas posted:

it's a fun little gimmick, but if you have power lines laid out in a straight line I'm finding it pretty tough to tarzan around the power poles without a jetpack.

But thinking about it after reading your post, I just now realize that what I really hate is something that's a more general problem: every time you exit build / deconstruct mode, you get sound & animation of your equipment. The zipline is just worse because
a) it has a loud sound & elaborate spin animation
b) it's something you might actually want in hand while building.

Before it came out I'd thought that it would be a decent solution to vertical mobility while building, if you took the time to set out some power lines. But holding it kinda sucks while building. I can't stand the constant zap-whirr.

I just submitted a suggestion for this if anyone else agrees.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Klyith posted:

Before it came out I'd thought that it would be a decent solution to vertical mobility while building, if you took the time to set out some power lines. But holding it kinda sucks while building. I can't stand the constant zap-whirr.

The chainsaw is the one that annoys me the most. I wish you could 'holster' your items (which makes taking screenshots easier also).

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This battery distribution with the drones is frustrating the hell out of me, I really just want an easy way to distribute them with drones so I'm not running out constantly but it's just been a huge pain in the rear end. I think I've expanded too much too fast with them too because these things use up a lot of them.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I rebuilt parts of my initial factories in the sky over other bits for no other reason than to Be More Vertical (i'll make them look physically possible another day :v:)

Purposeless, but it's made the ziphook more useful - and it IS fun, so I'm gonna keep messing with this at least until I get tubes

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 26, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I bet if I figured it up, about one out of every four objects I've placed in my world has been devoted to making and transporting screws.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SPACE HOMOS posted:

The chainsaw is the one that annoys me the most. I wish you could 'holster' your items (which makes taking screenshots easier also).

Chainsaw is absolutely the worst, especially when you want to use it because you can't do anything until the 69 year rev animation completes.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

explosivo posted:

This battery distribution with the drones is frustrating the hell out of me, I really just want an easy way to distribute them with drones so I'm not running out constantly but it's just been a huge pain in the rear end. I think I've expanded too much too fast with them too because these things use up a lot of them.

The easiest configuration for drones I've found is a hub and spoke model. Set your hub of drone stations up at your primary base and from there you can send/receive items to your spoke/satellite bases.
Since batteries are a weird pita to make, I had to build them at my aluminum satellite base and use a single drone to bring them back to my hub where they get distributed to all the hub drone stations. Since you only need batteries on one end of the journey, the satellite stations therefore don't need batteries.

But if you're just running out of batteries, make more? I use drones pretty sparingly due to their high fuel and power costs.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I have just learned that you can turn pipe junctions vertical and i'm screaming

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nukelear v.2 posted:

The easiest configuration for drones I've found is a hub and spoke model. Set your hub of drone stations up at your primary base and from there you can send/receive items to your spoke/satellite bases.
Since batteries are a weird pita to make, I had to build them at my aluminum satellite base and use a single drone to bring them back to my hub where they get distributed to all the hub drone stations. Since you only need batteries on one end of the journey, the satellite stations therefore don't need batteries.

But if you're just running out of batteries, make more? I use drones pretty sparingly due to their high fuel and power costs.

Yeah I need to just ramp up battery production for sure, I have one mixer making them and it's nowhere near enough to cover all of the bases I'm setting up with Drones. Like you said having a central battery production factory with the spokes delivering batteries out to a second drone port for every drone port that is dedicated to receiving batteries, then belting them out to the main drone port doing the resource carrying.

I think my frustration was I had set up a system for drones to bring in oil residue to supply the refineries I was using for fuel but batteries keep running out and I'm already running on a power deficit. I unlocked the geyser resource extractors last night though so I set up a massive coal plant in the desert to cover the difference and give me some breathing room so now I get to think about how I'm going to ramp up battery production :sigh:

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Ciaphas posted:

I have just learned that you can turn pipe junctions vertical and i'm screaming

You can also hit R to change the layout of the pipe, makes those vertical runs much cleaner

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

It's kinda silly that Drones require both a consumable battery item per trip AND 100 MW to power the drone hub itself. What the hell is all that power for? Either the batteries shouldn't be fully consumable, but rather maybe come out as empty batteries, which are then recharged over time at the Drone Hub. Or batteries are just used to construct the drones/hubs and aren't consumable.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nah, you're making an infinite amount of batteries, there should be something that consumes an infinite amount of batteries.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

explosivo posted:

I think my frustration was I had set up a system for drones to bring in oil residue I was using for fuel

Oh yeah, I'd agree that you've over-expanded with the drones and probably need to start backfilling with better infrastructure, not just make more batteries. That's a very silly job for multiple drones, which would be super simple for one train. (And for which the train is much more reliable, important when it's your power production).

Batteries use a lot of sulfur, so using drones for stuff like that is just not viable at scale. Whether you do trains for bulk transport or not is an option -- long-range pipes & conveyors also work -- but at 5 batteries to move a couple stacks, it's definitely not drones.

Gully Foyle posted:

It's kinda silly that Drones require both a consumable battery item per trip AND 100 MW to power the drone hub itself. What the hell is all that power for?
It's an end-game tech, 100MW is trivial. Things consume escalating amounts of power as you tier up.

If you want a "realistic" explanation, the 100MW is to do all the radar and guidance work for the drones.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 26, 2021

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Reworked a computer factory to a supercomputer factory and my god, even with 2 mk2 fully overclocked I still can't get enough caterium coming in for all this quickwire. Maybe I should've used the rubber and petroleum coke recipe for my circuit boards instead

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Also if you're obsessed by realism, the power scale in the game is clearly bonkers. A generator the size of 6 shipping containers produces 75 megawatts? Pfffft. A machine the size of a large car consumes 4 MW? How does it not melt? 4 MW is a lot of power!

Replace "MW" with "kW" everywhere and you have something way more plausible for both production and consumption. But it doesn't sound cool so they did MW.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Klyith posted:

Oh yeah, I'd agree that you've over-expanded with the drones and probably need to start backfilling with better infrastructure, not just make more batteries. That's a very silly job for multiple drones, which would be super simple for one train. (And for which the train is much more reliable, important when it's your power production).

Batteries use a lot of sulfur, so using drones for stuff like that is just not viable at scale. Whether you do trains for bulk transport or not is an option -- long-range pipes & conveyors also work -- but at 5 batteries to move a couple stacks, it's definitely not drones.

Thanks for the words, I think you're absolutely right and it's making me realize I could just shift the refinement process to where the friggin oil is in the first place and simplify the hell out of this procedure.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Leal posted:

Reworked a computer factory to a supercomputer factory and my god, even with 2 mk2 fully overclocked I still can't get enough caterium coming in for all this quickwire. Maybe I should've used the rubber and petroleum coke recipe for my circuit boards instead

Are you using the copper + caterium recipe for quickwire?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Shredder posted:

You can also hit R to change the layout of the pipe, makes those vertical runs much cleaner

yeah i'd figured that out beforehand :D my coal plants look sooo much nicer now

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Are you using the copper + caterium recipe for quickwire?

I do not have that one, the game is punishing me for getting turbo fuel as soon as I got fuel power by never getting me anything else that I want.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm ad-hoc'ing my way to a hub-and-spoke factory design, with each spoke being a producer of a single item, and the hub being one massive building of storage and distribution logistics. I can't make up my mind about Screws, though, 'cos there's so many of them for every input and they're so widely used.

Specifically I don't know whether I want to produce those from ingredients at each spoke that needs them, or produce them all at one spoke - or if the difference even matters from an efficiency perspective. Any advice?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Ciaphas posted:

I'm ad-hoc'ing my way to a hub-and-spoke factory design, with each spoke being a producer of a single item, and the hub being one massive building of storage and distribution logistics. I can't make up my mind about Screws, though, 'cos there's so many of them for every input and they're so widely used.

Specifically I don't know whether I want to produce those from ingredients at each spoke that needs them, or produce them all at one spoke - or if the difference even matters from an efficiency perspective. Any advice?

Screws are super uncompressed, so it is generally logistically easier to construct them onsite. While mass transit moves things in stacks, belts will be your bottleneck once at the destination facility. Instead, bring around the materials to make screws on demand at each factory that requires them, and you only need to belt from constructors to the recipe that needs screws. This distributes the load and should result in fewer bottlenecks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

making screws on-site is the conventional wisdom. There should be an iron node close to just about everything, or if you have the alt recipe, bringing in steel is a lot more efficient than stacks of screws