Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Violet_Sky posted:

You lasted longer than I did holy poo poo. The revival never grabbed me. Something was missing. Then the Sailor Moon review came out and welp.

lol Yeah I still would watch him every now and then because back in like 2010 he was my favorite reviewer so I stuck around for a lot longer than I should have out of obligation more than anything. Even back before ctc I knew his new stuff sucked. :negative:

Katt posted:

Someone here made me check out Quinton Reviews and I just wasted almost an hour of my life watching this guy who somehow managed to be both hungry and horny for McDonalds. Lament the loss of specific restaurants.

In the most boring way possible. You owe me, unnamed stranger.

That was me who posted that and I owe you nothing because that video was great :colbert:

Seriously tho, maybe you have to be an architect/aesthetic nerd to appreciate this kind of stuff and/or have a ton of nostalgia for McDonalds. It was my favorite restaurant as a kid. I have so many memories hanging out with my cousins and/or friends eating kids meals and playing with the toys you'd get like those sonic LCD games :allears:

Groovelord Neato posted:

I couldn't finish that one but his videos on the History channel and related poo poo are good.

Yes his history channel stuff is his best work and some of the best content on youtube imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

rip elvisaurus rex

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

MB is ok but very emblematic of anime youtube; any decent show is The Greatest Show Ever Made, new anime directors are even better than legendary ones, 'sakuga' has to be said every 20 seconds, and the word waifu is still being used unironically in the year 2021

he's also been this hyperbolic about demon slayer, re:zero, konosuba, MHA and darling in the franxx (and then was SHOCKED that studio trigger hosed it up lol)

The only things he's more enthusiastic about are whatever lootboxes or other garbage he's being paid to shill in a given week.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

Japan is weird, big surprise. Sometimes you get litigious micromanagers like Toei or Khara, other times you have companies dumping their trash onto licensing companies in exchange for premium titles and they say "go nuts"

that's not really unique to Japan tbqh, big corpos with huge IPs in general are more often than not really fickle and controlling. Disney for instance is pretty infamously litigious and difficult to work with. Kingdom Hearts 3 having levels based on Tangled and Frozen was apparently a complete nightmare of red tape to navigate because Disney was super protective of their cash cows, which led to those worlds feeling stitched-together and barely finished to most players.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So capitalism sucks and transformative adaptation is anathema to rights holders who'd prefer you not own anything and all consumption is a rental at best.

That's actually worse.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Jamie Faith posted:

That was me who posted that and I owe you nothing because that video was great :colbert:

Seriously tho, maybe you have to be an architect/aesthetic nerd to appreciate this kind of stuff and/or have a ton of nostalgia for McDonalds. It was my favorite restaurant as a kid. I have so many memories hanging out with my cousins and/or friends eating kids meals and playing with the toys you'd get like those sonic LCD games :allears:

All I see is a stereotypical American worshipping at the feet of a lovely fast food franchise for an hour :v:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

what the gently caress is "sakuga"

Katt posted:

All I see is a stereotypical American worshipping at the feet of a lovely fast food franchise for an hour :v:

did he do the thing where he looks down and away from the camera while talking kinda slow to try to sound profound because i think he did that in every single video of his i watched and it was really funny every time but i don't think it was supposed to be

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Alaois posted:

Where the studio splurges their budget for an episode.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Alaois posted:

it just means "good animation" so instead of saying "this episode has some well-animated fights" you say, in youtuber voice, "Sunghoo Park *pause* DELIVERS. the SAKUGA"

e: mother's basement also has a bunch of videos titled "what's in a waifu" which i have no interest in watching lol

like even if i wasn't ace, i don't need 40 minute videos to tell me why people are horny for anime girls

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 26, 2021

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Groovelord Neato posted:

I had no idea Ma-Ti was one of the owners lmao

I figured Doug got swindled signing something - that's profoundly stupid to sign over the rights so someone else could do the business side of things.

Eh, it happens. The Penny Arcade guys managed to sign away the rights to their webcomic TWICE, though they got them back at the end.

Speaking of abridged voice actors, LittleKuribo did the vision-impaired descriptive voice for a few of the Star Wars films.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

And here I thought that was a well known animator's name. Foolishness on my part once again.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

So capitalism sucks and transformative adaptation is anathema to rights holders who'd prefer you not own anything and all consumption is a rental at best.

That's actually worse.

yep!

Alaois posted:

it basically just means "animation" in japanese but in english-speaking anime fan circles it's used more like "ANIMATION!!!"

it's when the moving drawings move good

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 26, 2021

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Katt posted:

Nah. You can appreciate something aesthetically or for the good memories without liking the corporation itself. Just like how you can enjoy Disney movies without liking Disney itself.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought it was funny how mothers basement tries to be all woke then made a video about how good the latest sex pest anime is.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Violet_Sky posted:

You lasted longer than I did holy poo poo. The revival never grabbed me. Something was missing. Then the Sailor Moon review came out and welp.

I think the Fury Road episode was the last one I bothered with. There were multiple reasons I decided to stop keeping up, some of which weren't even Doug's fault, but the realization that the all skit, no clip reviews were going to be a regular thing was a deathblow to my interest. Now I don't want to watch anything he or Brad makes even to laugh at them.

Katt posted:

Someone here made me check out Quinton Reviews and I just wasted almost an hour of my life watching this guy who somehow managed to be both hungry and horny for McDonalds. Lament the loss of specific restaurants.

In the most boring way possible. You owe me, unnamed stranger.

It's not his best. The Animeme episode of Fallen Titans appeals to me a lot more, even though it's just laughing at old cringe.

Acerbatus posted:

I thought it was funny how mothers basement tries to be all woke then made a video about how good the latest sex pest anime is.

I only occasionally watch MB videos, usually when he goes negative, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 26, 2021

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

Even when I still watched the Nostalgia Critic, I could tell that episode was going to be No Good and dipped out entirely.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

isn’t darling in the franxx the anime all about how good impregnation is?

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Acerbatus posted:

He also made a video on a different channel gushing about a novel about a teenage girl getting sent to another world and forced into prostitution there. But it's apparently okay; see, according to him, the book is a parody of creepy anime cliches because she has the superpower of copying the powers of men she sleeps with, like Rogue from the X-Men as written by a 14-year-old boy.

And of course the video has an ad for the book's English distributer, because why wouldn’t it?

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 26, 2021

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Oh, and he also mentioned Shied Hero and said "Now I know starting us off with a false rape accusation looks really bad, but there's just so much other neat stuff that I'm willing to see if the show keeps being that gross." I don't know if he ever acknowledged that it amps up the grossness in later vids.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Anime reviewing is inherently cursed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Acerbatus posted:

Blight voice: do you have the slightest idea how little that narrows it down?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

referring to mushoku tensei i think, the one where the protag is initially isekai resurrected as a really horny baby

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

his recent video about the aesthetic of Sonic felt like it really lost the plot about midway through once it started being almost entirely about horny fanart

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
https://twitter.com/yugiohtas/status/1291205211369934848?s=19 I was thinking of this story from LittleKuriboh when I made that assertion, but judging by what everyone else has been saying about TFS talents' careers I guess it wasn't a universal thing?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Jamie Faith posted:

Nah. You can appreciate something aesthetically or for the good memories without liking the corporation itself. Just like how you can enjoy Disney movies without liking Disney itself.

I don't known if I would call McDonalds the Disney of food. Me personally and everyone I ever knew in my youth growing up in Sweden we always noted McDonalds for their surprisingly bad food. Even for children. Maybe it's because every McDonalds location in our city is within comfortable walking distance of a burger king so it was always and either/or choice. Also growing up in the 90s McDonalds never had the semblance of wholesomeness about it. It was always depressing garbage served by abused people to people who knew it was bad for them.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Noah Caldwell Gervais on the life and times of Kyle Katarn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMAYCB3b7rY

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ohohoho I'll be watching that one later.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

DanielCross posted:

https://twitter.com/yugiohtas/status/1291205211369934848?s=19 I was thinking of this story from LittleKuriboh when I made that assertion, but judging by what everyone else has been saying about TFS talents' careers I guess it wasn't a universal thing?

eh I mean obviously it's not universal but I wouldn't be surprised if plenty of other fan VAs have had similar experiences too.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Katt posted:

I would say less worshipping McDonalds and more just lamenting how there are just these unique lovely buildings being turned into a soulless box building. It's the same thing like with Pizza Huts where they were just extremely distinctive aesthetic that was ruined by a bunch of overpaid nerds and suits.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you got 'til it's gone
They paved a parking lot
And put up a parking lot

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I don't know why anyone is surprised that doing abridged stuff would possibly hurt your chances in an industry. Why would you want to work with someone who's spent a lot of time making fun of your work or the work of people you've employed or associated with? Especially when you can easily get other competent voice actors without that baggage.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Hel posted:

I don't know why anyone is surprised that doing abridged stuff would possibly hurt your chances in an industry. Why would you want to work with someone who's spent a lot of time making fun of your work or the work of people you've employed or associated with? Especially when you can easily get other competent voice actors without that baggage.

Abridging is usually a good-natured homage to the original work made by people who love it, not an attack. Plus the popular ones have an existing fanbase that are likely to check out other stuff with the same voices in it.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

referring to mushoku tensei i think, the one where the protag is initially isekai resurrected as a really horny baby
the main guy is very clearly a pedophile and the story is about taking him from that utterly despicable place and having him become a better person through a change in environment and upbringing. I don't think it makes thew unwoke or whatever if he can see the worth in an example of extreme rehabilitation, but apparently the guy is functionally rewarded for becoming a decent human being with a de facto harem of girls(some of which are or were underaged) so it kind of begs the question if the author fully gets the implications of what he's writing.

Bakeneko posted:

He also made a video on a different channel gushing about a novel about a teenage girl getting sent to another world and forced into prostitution there.
this one burns me because the premise of being isekai'd to a misogynist hell world and having to engage with sex work (because it's your best option) in an unflinching and humanized way, to me personally, is something that has the potential to be very good and is rare as hell in media. And not only does thew like the light novel, his gf tenleid also liked it and rec'd it. But it's really bogged down in the misery of it all and there's no real reason the main character had to be a high school student other than the edgy notion that underaged sex work is unfortunately common in japan.

Gwen fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 26, 2021

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Gwen posted:

the main guy is very clearly a pedophile and the story is about taking him from that utterly despicable place and having him become a better person through a change in environment and upbringing. I don't think it makes thew unwoke or whatever if he can see the worth in an example of extreme rehabilitation, but apparently the guy is functionally rewarded for becoming a decent human being with a de facto harem of girls(some of which are or were underaged) so it kind of begs the question if the author fully gets the implications of what he's writing.

This confused me because I hadn't realised there were two youtubers called Thew

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Jamie Faith posted:

What makes this extra :catstare: was when CtC was going down, one of the big complaints the CtCers had was Doug never paid them for the literally exhausting work they did, working for insane hours during the filming of Too Boldly Flee. Malcolm's response to that when he was defending Doug was to say "well, they paid me! :smug:" The fact that its not even a living wage... jeeze. Doug/Michaud/CA hasn't changed a bit...

Malcolm and Tamara jumping on that grenade was definitely some perplexing stuff in that entire event. Fallacies aside with them mostly saying "well, Doug never treated us badly, so you should all shut up and stop being bitter" aside, it was like they got conscripted to do HR duty (like, defending Doug on a personal level based on your personal relationship with him is one thing; they were straight up defending decisions from a business entity that were made before either of them got hired; it's some real clown shoes poo poo).

Hel posted:

This is why operating like Chris Sabat is more ideal in the sense that he took the time to actually understand what Abridging was about and realize; 1. It actually takes a poo poo ton of work, 2. They are predominately done by super fans, and 3. They actually increase awareness of the series in general. Toei themselves have problems with it, but Sabat definitely seemed to at least make an effort to understand where they are coming from.

The real baggage isn't anything you mentioned, but more IP holders like Toei looking in and saying "they're stealing our stuff" without understanding what is really going on

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gwen posted:

I will grant that I'm of the possibly controversial opinion that rapists/sexual assaulters are just not worth that kind of forgiveness, esp since one of the girls in his harem is one of the ones he tries to assault (but she forgives him so its ok)

Gwen posted:

this one burns me because the premise of being isekai'd to a misogynist hell world and having to engage with sex work (because it's your best option) in an unflinching and humanized way, to me personally, is something that has the potential to be very good and is rare as hell in media. And not only does thew like the light novel, his gf tenleid also liked it and rec'd it. But it's really bogged down in the misery of it all and there's no real reason the main character had to be a high school student other than the edgy notion that underaged sex work is unfortunately common in japan.

it definitely comes off as the reason she's a high school student is because it gets the author off, regardless of if that's true or not.

And honestly I think the whole "plot twist, she's rogue from xmen but she steals powers by loving people" is mind bogglingly stupid.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 26, 2021

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Why would you go to Quinton's channel and watch anything other than his 3 hour Garfield travelogue?

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

it definitely comes off as the reason she's a high school student is because it gets the author off, regardless of if that's true or not.
and it loving sucks that this is super plausible. I would be so much more charitable if she weren't underaged, even if the ending loving sucks so much.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Noah Caldwell Gervais on the life and times of Kyle Katarn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMAYCB3b7rY

g_saberrealisticcombat 1 and go to town by spawning in a billion Reborn. good times.

quote:

Do you fear me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gwen posted:

and it loving sucks that this is super plausible. I would be so much more charitable if she weren't underaged, even if the ending loving sucks so much.

I know nothing about the author, and if it were just one or two things I wouldn't ascribe sleazy motivations. Like, I can think of at least one doujin author who talked about how she draws some hosed up stuff because it's a way she works through her own childhood sexual trauma. I don't want to assume that sort of thing about people!

It's just the way everything comes together is pretty sleazy. Despite that, I read some of it and I don't even think it's entirely BAD. If someone I knew liked it, I wouldn't immediately judge them.

Just, you know, everything else about him makes MB give real Nice Guy vibes.